Would you be happy to see the Glazers sell to Saudi Arabia-backed owners?

Who would you rather have as United’s owners?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsCallout

It’s not problems of their own. USA Britain Saudi. It’s all the same at this stage. Unfortunately for us
Yes but I don't agree with what the USA or UK does but their governments aren't potentially buying our club.

If it was a random business man from Saudi then I guess, sure thing. But we know it is the regime that many are rightly vocal against.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yes but I don't agree with what the USA or UK does but their governments aren't potentially buying our club.

If it was a random business man from Saudi then I guess, sure thing. But we know it is the regime that many are rightly vocal against.
Yeah that’s fair enough but if a Saudi business man came to buy us you know where the money is at least indirectly coming from. Money corrupts everything.

bsCallout

Yeah that’s fair enough but if a Saudi business man came to buy us you know where the money is at least indirectly coming from. Money corrupts everything.
Well yeah, so on that basis, I'd be against that too.

wilkie1990

Absolutely. If it is good for the club and for the sport then why not. They may not be able to run a country well (to put it mildly), but that is completely separate to them hypothetically owning the club. Unfortunately, even if they did attempt to buy the club, the outcry on social media would likely be so much they would never be able to pull it off.

Ali Dia

Tell ye what just for arguments sake. I’d nearly rather Saudi Arabia’s foreign policy (spend loads of money and diversify) to the USAs (if any semi wealthy country won’t welcome American interests bomb the place or meddle politically, divide the region, kill totally innocent people and package it as freedom and all while stealing their money and resources and creating a whole new marketplaces for big business to thrive) That’s where a big part of the American wealth and money to invest in these kinds of things indirectly comes from. People are totally cool with that though?

But the Saudis execute people
So do America.

People can’t speak out against the government in Saudi
Have you seen what they do to people who whistleblow in the US?

Women aren’t equal
Women are only equal for about the length of time they’ve been cosying up to the Saudis. It’s really not been that long. Who’s to say the Saudis won’t eventually change or catch up?

I just don’t see this huge difference between the two counties apart from the obvious traditions and the culture barrier, how brazen America is about just taking what it wants and calling it freedom while the Saudis just pay everyone off and call it diversifying.

Nobody with money on that level will be clean. People eventually have to do bad things to attain and keep that level of power.

Just ask Conor McGregor :lol:

Last edited:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Stupid thread that assumes only a binary choice between two sets of cnuts. These are not the only options, and for some curious reason, if we are put in this bind, if this comparison is our only choice, the Glazers start to look good, because the (false) alternative is so odious. But we don't buy your propaganda. We want #GlazersOut - and if they come near the club yes - #SaudisOut
What fans of the game (big six fans, and other fans too) are asking, is- not for cherrypicking rich owners. That's bollox.

They are asking can we repair past omissions? Can we learn from other countries? Can we avoid these kinds of outrageous crimes against the club and the fans being repeated? Can we reform the structure of the game? Can we have a fan forum where the needs of the match going supporters and the fans who support from afar are examined and looked after. Can we come up with a way of running football that ensures that the club is looked after, likewise the staff, players, managers, the ground, facilities etc. That might mean a German model or some other model. It might mean legislation and forcing some owners to sell all or part of their ownership. It is more nuanced and more passionate and more sensible that the ludicrous and reductionist false oppositions put forward by the OP.

justsomebloke

Did you read their forums?
No, but out of interest, what was the balance of opinion there? They can't love Ashley much more than we love the Glazers, so it's sort of a comparable situation (except of course Glazers=top 4 team, Ashley=perennial relegation candidate. But expectations are relative after all).

Someone

Something
The glazers are greedy billionaires, but the Saudi regime are murderers guys, not allegedly, officially murderers, how can we possibly live with this.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
People are totally cool with that though?
I doubt it.

But being bought by the USA for propaganda purposes is not a realistic option.

For the most part your argument amounts to false equivalence.

In the extreme in some instances.

It is generally accepted that mass executions (by beheading) were carried out in Saudi Arabia as late as 2019. It is furthermore generally accepted that a vast majority of those executed did not receive a fair and just trial prior to the execution.

Out of 37 that were executed in 2019, 32 were Shia Muslims (probably just a coincidence). And most of them were executed on the basis of confessions made after torture (but hey, what about the Spanish Inquisition - as a European I really can't complain too much).

This is according to Amnesty - but feck them, right? They probably use iPhones.

Several of those executed were also underage at the time of arrest. But feck that too - 'cause the US haven't done away with the death penalty. And I have probably bought a can of Coke at one point or another.

Last edited:

arthurka

Hell no.
Glazers are awful but the Saudis are truly evil.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Stupid thread that assumes only a binary choice between two sets of cnuts. These are not the only options, and for some curious reason, if we are put in this bind, if this comparison is our only choice, the Glazers start to look good, because the (false) alternative is so odious. But we don't buy your propaganda. We want #GlazersOut - and if they come near the club yes - #SaudisOut
What fans of the game (big six fans, and other fans too) are asking, is- not for cherrypicking rich owners. That's bollox.

They are asking can we repair past omissions? Can we learn from other countries? Can we avoid these kinds of outrageous crimes against the club and the fans being repeated? Can we reform the structure of the game? Can we have a fan forum where the needs of the match going supporters and the fans who support from afar are examined and looked after. Can we come up with a way of running football that ensures that the club is looked after, likewise the staff, players, managers, the ground, facilities etc. That might mean a German model or some other model. It might mean legislation and forcing some owners to sell all or part of their ownership. It is more nuanced and more passionate and more sensible that the ludicrous and reductionist false oppositions put forward by the OP.
Propaganda? Have you fallen on your head or something?

If you actually read the OP you'll see it says:

"So where would you stand? Get rid of the Glazers at all costs, even if that means putting up with Saudi-backed owners? Actively welcome lucrative petrostate ownership as the best possible outcome? Or stick with the Glazers until we can find owners less deplorable than either?"

Note the bold. The OP specifically points out that owners who are less deplorable than either is an option. You'll also note that at no point does it suggest that sticking with the Glazers indefinitely is an option. It assumes we want them gone. As for making the Glazers look good, the OP describes them as "money-hungry leeches". So no.

The point of the thread was to see how people would now feel about a Saudi take-over and whether the renewed anger towards the Glazers and impetus to get rid of them would prompt people to be more open to that idea. That's it. If you want a thread that explores all the possible owner options other than the Saudis or one that focuses on any of the reforms you mention, make one.

But if you took the OP as some sort of pro-Glazer propaganda then that's down to your own poor reading comprehension and nothing else.

RUCK4444

Yeah, because the Saudi royalty don't know whether it is right to kill people or not.
And people don’t know racism isn’t acceptable.

Of course they do. It’s about changing the traditions and mindset that allows them to feel that action is warranted.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The glazers are greedy billionaires, but the Saudi regime are murderers guys, not allegedly, officially murderers, how can we possibly live with this.
By not offending them.

sport2793

I would be against the Saudis purely down to their incompetence in managing their affairs. They are the laughingstock of the Arabian peninsula.

Ali Dia

I doubt it.

It is generally accepted that mass executions (by beheading) were carried out in Saudi Arabia as late as 2019. It is furthermore generally accepted that a vast majority of those executed did not receive a fair and just trial prior to the execution.

Out of 37 that were executed in 2019, 32 were Shia muslims (probably just a coincidence). And most of them were executed on the basis of confessions made after torture (but hey, what about the Spanish Inquisition - as a European I really can't complain too much).

Several of those executed were also underage at the time of arrest. But feck that too - 'cause the US haven't done away with the death penalty. And I have probably bought a can of Coke at one point or another.
Ok so how many people in the industrialisation of American prisons are poor back people? It’s about 75%. Speaking of fair trials how many people have been falsely imprisoned in the US for half their lives? How many innocent people have the cops killed? Fair trial my arse, if you have money maybe. How many mentally ill people who the system let down are executed by America every year? How many more mass shootings need to happen before they get off their high horse and admit their constitution isn’t a one size fits all solution in the modern world? They say Saudi is stuck in the Stone Age but it’s the same thing as far as I’m concerned. People in glass hoses shouldn’t throw stones

Last edited:

seegoblu

Do you buy petrol? How do you know it isn't Saudi oil?

So if you buy petrol for your car/motorcycle/scooter or oil to heat your home, aren't you supporting the Saudi regime even more directly than if you continued to root for Man Utd following a Saudi takeover?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
They say Saudi is stuck in the Stone Age but it’s the same thing as far as I’m concerned.
No sane person would agree with that - for a myriad of reasons.

Your problem is that you equate one grade of "bad" with another grade of "bad" - and also that you seem to think that those who disagree with you are "happy" with the conditions in any number of countries that are...well, not Saudi Arabia.

Ali Dia

No sane person would agree with that - for a myriad of reasons.

Your problem is that you equate one grade of "bad" with another grade of "bad" - and also that you seem to think that those who disagree with you are "happy" with the conditions in any number of countries that are...well, not Saudi Arabia.
I really just don’t think there’s this massive gulf in morality between the 2 countries as the American PR machine would have you believe. Behind the scenes they are running the show together.

Jezpeza

Politics is dead. There’s just the market and the people who represent the market now.
What, by that do you mean theres a huge bunch of brain dead people out there who dont realise social issues are now just branding and are easily turned into hysterical little tarts over issues they arent involved in and have no control over, or?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I really just don’t think there’s this massive gulf in morality between the 2 countries as the American PR machine would have you believe. Behind the scenes they are running the show together.
Yeah, alright - I don't think we're gonna get on the same page, so agree to disagree, etc.

But this isn't about the "American PR machine". Do another poll and see how many who fancy the Glazers in this poll think that US foreign policy has been great since WW2.

Ali Dia

What, by that do you mean theres a huge bunch of brain dead people out there who dont realise social issues are now just branding and are easily turned into hysterical little tarts over issues they arent involved in and have no control over, or?
Yes. All the poor people are left to fight over the morality of xy and z squabble over the crumbs left behind while the decision making process (as in the whole crux of the matter) doesn’t involve them at all. There’s nobody looking out for normal people because they simply don’t matter until voting time comes around. Democracy sold out.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
How do you know it isn't Saudi oil?
Dunno, to be honest - since I don't live in the UK anymore (I presume you mean the UK).

But the UK buys most of its crude oil from Norway (I know that). And around 3% from Saudi Arabia according to recent numbers.

How you would know precisely where the petrol you put into your car comes from - I dunno. A UK car owner would (or should) know, though - but based on sheer numbers it should be possible to avoid SA oil as a consumer.

Ali Dia

I doubt it.

Out of 37 that were executed in 2019, 32 were Shia Muslims (probably just a coincidence). And most of them were executed on the basis of confessions made after torture (but hey, what about the Spanish Inquisition - as a European I really can't complain too much).

https://www.amnesty.org/en/countrie...s-of-america/report-united-states-of-america/

Makes for grim reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.