Would you be happy to see the Glazers sell to Saudi Arabia-backed owners?

Who would you rather have as United’s owners?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

troylocker

I would not mind having the Saudis here to be frank as long as they have the clubs best in mind. Some people on here would be okey with having George Bush as our owner but if they’re muslim it’s a big no and they got blood on their hands. That’s xenophobia.
It's not about wether the Saudis are muslims, christians, jews, hindus or Buddhists, it's about not respecting common human rights in the 21 century. Death penalty/prison for criticizing Islam or leaders on social media, death penalty/prison for being raped by someone outside of marriage, death penalty/prison for being homosexual, not equal rights for men and women, no freedom of speach, no freedom of religion, no democracy/sharing power with the people etc. etc..... Their only motive for bying this club would be sportswashing, and I can't support that.

Last edited:

hubbuh

I refuse to answer that poll by virtue of both options being too awful to countenance as being long-term landlords of United (in the case of the Glazers - even longer-term). Let's not one-up the soullessness of the Glazers by selling out even further to the devil by getting in the Saudi's, please?

Infra-red

So frying pan or fire are the only two options?
I guess this is the hard case. The Glazers are absolutely hated by United fans (and rightly so) - the fact they they are polling as twice as popular as the Saudis on a United forum tells you everything you need to know about how detestable that regime is and how terrible it would be if they owned the club.

The Glazers are bad, but the Saudis are just so much worse.

Kaos

I would not mind having the Saudis here to be frank as long as they have the clubs best in mind. Some people on here would be okey with having George Bush as our owner but if they’re muslim it’s a big no and they got blood on their hands. That’s xenophobia.
It's nothing to do with their religion - Muslims have been the biggest victims of Saudi tyranny, whether that's the hundreds and thousands of Yemenis killed, and millions more put at risk of starvation, or the millions of their own citizens who are oppressed because of sectarian reasons. They're just the absolute lowest of the low when it comes to barbarism and tyranny.

I don't think anyone would have have any issue with say the (Muslim) Omani royal family being potential owners for instance.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
And to make this just like the previous thread on Saudi ownership here comes some one not understanding that the Glazers are not the US or UK government. Someone will repeat it in a few posts and we'll go around in circles.
Genuine question, dont Saudi have someone like Abramovic (to Russia)? Maybe still have a connection to Saudi government but not Saudi government? What if that kind of person wants to buy United?

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
From the frying pan to the fire.
Football is fcuked in my view!
It appears we have got so big we can only be owned by repulsive, money grabbing, corrupt leeches or backward, corrupt, vicious, Kingdoms rich from oil.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
Yes.
It's a matter of time before it happens to us anyways. Don't think for a second that our owners wouldn't use slaves or murder, if it made a profit for them in the end.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
If it was available, I would vote neither.
We literally know nothing about the potential Saudi buyers.
So how can anyone really believe that is the best option.

We do though know pretty much everything about the current owners. And much of that is not good.

My preference would be for the club to be owned by someone who is much more accessible to and accountable to the support base.
Ideally, that would be much more aligned with the German model.
But whoever it ends up with, they need to prioritise updgrading Old Trafford.

stevoc

Yes I would be happy. Get the Saudis in. Not like America, or the UK for example are governing saints. They are all murdering bunch of liars so who cares about their moral compass.
Where are the rumours about the UK or US Governments wanting to buy United?

There are none so the comparison is nonsense.

Who are these other potential owners who are 'as bad as' the Saudi royal family?
The UK and US Governments of course. Neither of them have been or ever will be linked to a purchase of MUFC. But you know that's some people's minds work, or well don't work.

GBBQ

The thing about the Glazers is that we can be 100% certain any money spent is coming from revenue the club is generating because the leeches wouldn't dare put a penny of their own money into the club. So its definitely preferable to an ownership with human rights baggage (to put it lightly).

The thing is that I don't think there is such a thing as an ethical multi-billionaire so I do think that the Glazers might be one of the less problematic owners we could have. That's a depressing thought.

SungSam7

I hastily picked the Saudis out of pure frustration, can I change my vote? Would rather keep the Glazers and hope and hold out for 50 +1 like the Bundesliga over the slave masters.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I'd like to see the same energy people have against Saudis taking our club over as they do for our very own government selling £bns worth of arms to them.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Genuine question, dont Saudi have someone like Abramovic (to Russia)? Maybe still have a connection to Saudi government but not Saudi government? What if that kind of person wants to buy United?
The Saudi government is the Saudi royal family.
And that Saudi royal family is in total charge of literally everything in that country. It controls everything including their oil and gas industry and money.
Having said that, they are a strong ally of the UK.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I'd like to see the same energy people have against Saudis taking our club over as they do for our very own government selling £bns worth of arms to them.
And those arms sales support many thousands of highly skilled jobs, including those just up the road at BAE Systems.

stevoc

Great idea start a thread with a poll in the current events forum about it.

stevoc

Yeah if he was rich enough to fund transfer muppet sprees every summer, then yeah there's people who would worship W but those people are probably the same people who would also be fine with the Saudi Royals owning United too for the same reason.

And feck off with the xenophobia nonsense, the vast majority would have no problem with a muslim owner. Unless of course those Muslim owners literally do have blood on their hands like the Saudi Royal family does.

tomaldinho1

This should be 100% backing the Glazers and it's crazy it isn't. Some people need to look in the mirror - there is no argument for them, not a single one on here, that makes sense unless you value human life as lesser than a piece of metal shaped like a cup.

Glazers are greedy and using the club to make money whilst keeping us chugging along around the top four. I get we hate the Glazers but nothing they are doing is illegal, it's financially immoral and an emotional point for us as fans but you really can't compare them to a government that is condemned by Amnesty; they only recently let women drive cars for goodness sakes, it's the most backwards regime imaginable...any country which still beheads people as a form of punishment or assassinates journalists should be forcibly blocked from investment into any country that considers itself 'civilised'.

Maticmaker

There are few worse owners I can think of besides the Glazer's, but oil-rich princes who devastate their own people, is one of them.

There are few worse owners I can think of besides the Glazer's, but oil-rich princes who devastate their own people, is one of them.
People also forget that City’s owners are pouring their people’s money into a fecking football club. That alone is horrific from a moral stand point.

I want a football club without debt that takes care of itself money wise, you know, the way it should be. I don’t want some rich arsewipes spending Liberia’s deficit on a game of football, money that could and should be spent on the greater good rather than filling Pep Guardiola and co’s back pocket.

MartinRed

Yes, because they're big spenders and mostly because the hire professionals do to the jobs they are incompetent to.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
People also forget that City’s owners are pouring their people’s money into a fecking football club. That alone is horrific from a moral stand point.

I want a football club without debt that takes care of itself money wise, you know, the way it should be. I don’t want some rich arsewipes spending Liberia’s deficit on a game of football, money that could and should be spent on the greater good rather than filling Pep Guardiola and co’s back pocket.
That's a confusing take, ignoring the fact that sports club in general aren't lucrative or self sustainable and rely on patrons and public money, clubs like United get money from billionaires who in an attempt to amass even more money use a small minority of football clubs as billboards.

RoyH1

Murdering journalists and blowing Yemen to bits is worse than being capitalist scumbags in my book. So Glazers. No question

matt10000

If you are referring to MBS then a lot of fans would welcome them as saviours but the reality is that we would become a state owned propergannda machine to make a dodgy state look legitimate.

I don’t like the current owners very much and would like them to be replaced but replacing a family of parasitic leeches with a murderous thuggish de facto ruler who denies his own people of human rights, imprisons his own people for criticising authorities or advocating political and rights reforms, systematically discriminates against women and religious minorities, curtails academic research deemed sensitive, bans political parties, censors local media and executes people who were involved in anti-government protests when they were under 18 years old?

It’s a no from me!

51% fan ownership for all clubs by law is my dream but is probably unrealistic to implement too much legal stuff.

justsomebloke

Yes. No. Oh, I don't know. It's a horrible choice. It comes down what you're prepared to be unjustifiably optimistic about.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's very simple, even though the question leaves you with two unacceptable options, success under the Glazer ownership is in spite of them, whereas with the Saudi's it would be completely hollow, as it is with City.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
The Saudi government is the Saudi royal family.
And that Saudi royal family is in total charge of literally everything in that country. It controls everything including their oil and gas industry and money.
Having said that, they are a strong ally of the UK.
Okay, I thought Saudi had someone like Jack Ma or Abramovic.. :rolleyes:

matt10000

It's very simple, even though the question leaves you with two unacceptable options, success under the Glazer ownership is in spite of them, whereas with the Saudi's it would be completely hollow, as it is with City.
Yes, for City fans it must be like playing football manager on cheat mode.......

Giggsy13

What a ridiculously stupid take. It may have to do with Saudi Arabia’s horrid human rights record and treatment of women. If Shahid Khan had the money to do it, I’d be all for someone like him. Unfortunately not many even Khan can afford a club of United’s stature without a leveraged deal, so it will take a conglomerate or the UK imposing a 50 + 1 German ownership model.

Denis79

I want the Glazers out but not at any cost. Even with morals put aside the Saudis would do more harm to us than the Glazers.

matt10000

How naive to think that MBS would have the clubs best in mind! The only thing on their minds would be to associate themselves (a murderous regime who systematically discriminate against women and religious minorities) with the great proud history of Man Utd in order to use the MUFC name / brand as a propaganda machine as a means to launder their reputation and distract from their poor human rights track record.

It is called 'sportswashing'.

Last edited:

Coops73

I may be wrong here and I’m happy to be corrected but the geordies seemed all in when it looked like the Saudis were on the verge of taking them over, I certainly don’t remember there being too much negativity towards it, why does it seem (on the outside at least) to matter less to their fan base than ours?

Giggsy13

Realistically, no billionaire will be interested in buying United at its peak value. It would take being on the edge of financial ruin and bankruptcy, and I wonder if the majority of our supporters would have the stomach to handle the process of getting to that point.

matt10000

I may be wrong here and I’m happy to be corrected but the geordies seemed all in when it looked like the Saudis were on the verge of taking them over, I certainly don’t remember there being too much negativity towards it, why does it seem (on the outside at least) to matter less to their fan base than ours?
Did you read their forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.