Would you be happy to see the Glazers sell to Saudi Arabia-backed owners?

Who would you rather have as United’s owners?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
No Ill rather endure 100 years of Glazer ownership than a Saudi state takeover.

InfiniteBoredom

This whole "buy a club for PR and whitewashing reasons" thing has never made sense to me. I didn't know much about Qatar and their skeletons until awareness raised by them buying City and hosting the World Cup. They need to dispose (not literally, unlike Khashoggi) of whoever advised them that this would be a slam dunk in terms of PR. Who thinks Qatar is ruled by a benevolent liberal family?
The very obvious error aside, I’m kinda surprised you haven’t noticed the amount of City fans who have defended Mansour online since the takeover (ranging from the usual whataboutism to straight up adulation ‘he’s a very good owner’, ‘cares about the club’, ‘what they did to local community). It is therefore quite fair to assume that United with its global fan base and reach will have a fair share of fans who are of similar disposition, and by extension their family/associates.

Valencia Shin Crosses

No I would not be happy, devastated would be my emotion. And there lies the problem. Who could realistically buy the club and be objectively better owners than the Glazers? I can’t stand Glazers, but the alternative you give us here ain’t better.
Someone similar to Mark Cuban tbh, a la an owner who already made his fortune and buys a club/team to take a vested interest in the competitive success of the club, not just as an investment.

The main reason many hate the Glazers is that they’ve pretty much shown they could care less how good the squad is as long as it’s in a great position to generate the required revenue (UCL spot, commercial sponsorships, big social media presence and signings etc.).

Dve

Getting money from the Saudi Royal is not much different from getting money from participating in the Super League. It would taste just as bad.

Last edited:

stw2022

If the Saudis bought us and sold the naming rights to the stadium do we think if we all rushed into our Green and Gold frocks we could bring down a foreign government?

croadyman

Can't we have a third option added of other (Musk/Bezos/Ratcliffe etc)

Member 101269

If the Saudis bought us and sold the naming rights to the stadium do we think if we all rushed into our Green and Gold frocks we could bring down a foreign government?
Anyone who buys is likely to be very rich and look at match day revenue with different eyes..

Broadcast from Mars anyone?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Getting money from the Saudi Royal is not much different from getting money from participating in the Super League. I would taste just as bad.
Wait, I know Gary Neville said something about attempted murder but how many journalists did the super league actually kill, dismember and dissolve in acid?

Dve

Wait, I know Gary Neville said something about attempted murder but how many journalists did the super league actually kill, dismember and dissolve in acid?
Super League or a briefly soured journalist? Hm, that´s a tough one. Can I pick the journalist?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The very obvious error aside, I’m kinda surprised you haven’t noticed the amount of City fans who have defended Mansour online since the takeover (ranging from the usual whataboutism to straight up adulation ‘he’s a very good owner’, ‘cares about the club’, ‘what they did to local community). It is therefore quite fair to assume that United with its global fan base and reach will have a fair share of fans who are of similar disposition, and by extension their family/associates.
Yeah but it hasn't shifted the line on who these regimes actually are, is my point. No one important has gone, "oh wow they own City, they're awesome now"

A few City fans think Mansour is awesome. That does not constitute whitewashing.

Last edited:

Infra-red

Nobody likes the Glazers, but you simply cannot compare a moneygrubbing family of business people like them, with a murderous regime that oppresses women & homosexuals, chops up journalists and commits acts of genocide against its neighbours.

The Saudis are as bad as it gets. You choose the Glazers, every time, not because you like them, but because unless you are a moral monster you have to

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Nobody likes the Glazers, but you simply cannot compare a moneygrubbing family of business people like them, with a murderous regime that oppresses women & homosexuals, chops up journalists and commits acts of genocide against its neighbours.

The Saudis are as bad as it gets. You choose the Glazers, every time, not because you like them, but because unless you are a moral monster you have to
To be fair the case against the Glazers would be that on top of being themselves, they sold United to MBS. :lol:

Kag

As bad as the Glazers are there is still scope to be owned by significantly worse people. The Saudis being some of the worst.

SAFMUTD

I'm English and I'd be just as fecked off at the ridiculous idea of the British monarchy owning United.

In 2021 though, when the purchase would be made, you can't compare the monarchy of Spain or England to the current human rights atrocities in Saudi Arabia.
I agree, the times are important. But then again does them owning City and PSG has changed anything?

Do anyone think better of them because they own those clubs? I don't think there's anything they can do besides actually changing their laws to wash their image. So I don't know how they owning ManUtd would support that regimen or whatever.

Dve

The bad news would be that the Glazer family (i.e. Ed Grazer) raised funds for Trumps campaign, and when Salman had Khashoggi killed, Trump - according to himself - "saved his ass".

It´s a small world.

Jezpeza

My two cents is that its just amazing how people will shake fists about saudi ownership over human rights but buy nike t shirts who just lobbied against a bill in america which would have stopped them importing goods made with child labour.

People take the pr distractions they provide hook line and sinker, lauding them for posting pictures of black sports stars they sponsor in support of BLM whilst in the same week lobbying for the continuance of slavery happening right now.

People shop at primark who use child labour and adults working for 8 pence a day in india and bangladesh.

people will use tax dodging starbucks.

people will not raise much issue about warehouse conditions and keep shopping with amazon and sports direct.

people will use nestle products whos water bottling has caused multiple global droughts in some of the poorest areas of the globe.

i’d take saudi ownership over the glazers any day of the week, but dont really want it as it ruins the game and makes it uncompetitive. But just find it funny how people only apply ethics to certain scenarios rather than across the board. Smacks more of rhetoric than any sort of moral decision

Brightonian

If you voted Saudi here, I reckon you're probably not one of the groups of people who are oppressed, persecuted, tortured or murdered in Saudi Arabia.

Jezpeza

If you voted Saudi here, I reckon you're probably not one of the groups of people who are oppressed, persecuted, tortured or murdered in Saudi Arabia.
neither are the people who voted glazer. Odd point

Jezpeza

A very strong counter argument. I'll leave you to your irony and strawmen about the ethics of Nestle bottled water, enjoy yourself.
dont give a toss about any of it. Just pointed it out because i Just think its odd that anyone does. Sorry i dont care about your wokeness

marktan

No. I'd rather we went bankrupt and re-startrd in the 8th division.

I dislike the glazers as much as anyone for all the money they've taken out of the club, and wish they'd piss off, but they're businessmen, not all the reprehensible politics the Saudis represent.

marktan

My two cents is that its just amazing how people will shake fists about saudi ownership over human rights but buy nike t shirts who just lobbied against a bill in america which would have stopped them importing goods made with child labour.

People take the pr distractions they provide hook line and sinker, lauding them for posting pictures of black sports stars they sponsor in support of BLM whilst in the same week lobbying for the continuance of slavery happening right now.

People shop at primark who use child labour and adults working for 8 pence a day in india and bangladesh.

people will not raise much issue about warehouse conditions and keep shopping with amazon and sports direct.

people will use nestle products whos water bottling has caused multiple global droughts in some of the poorest areas of the globe.

i’d take saudi ownership over the glazers any day of the week, but dont really want it as it ruins the game and makes it uncompetitive. But just find it funny how people only apply ethics to certain scenarios rather than across the board. Smacks more of rhetoric than any sort of moral decision
Your post is summed up by one word - whataboutism. Just because there's things worse or equally bad it doesn't make someone a hypocrite for speaking out against something.

stevoc

So if someone doesn't wear Nike, shop at Primark, drinks Costa coffee and doesn't get their flip flops at sports direct then they can have an opinion on Saudi ownership then yes?

Was there anything approaching a coherent point anywhere in that post?

Or is this just the usual bad shit happens in the world everywhere, you all don't care about that so you're all hypocrites for some reason that i can't explain. So something, something, something, bla, bla, grrrr?

Drz

I still can't get my head over allowing Politically Exposed Persons to take over football clubs.
The game was corrupt enough through big business prerogatives, adding politics into the mix just doubles-down on the sport heading the wrong way.

Barnslig

Having Arab owners would make us a powerhouse again, top signings and since they won't be bothered on the financial part it would all be focused on the success on the pitch. Sign me up any day.
How do we know this? From every report I've read it's the Saudi Public Investment Fund that would buy United, not the royal family itself? It seems to me the Saudi PIF is very much in the business of making money, and definitely not 'wont be bothered on the financial part'.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Investment_Fund

https://english.alarabiya.net/busin...owing-sovereign-wealth-fund-globally-Governor

Barnslig

Why is no one talking about the Norwegian Fund? It's almost 4 times as big as the Saudi's valued at ~1.2 trillion. Could easily afford United. Give Ole a lifetime contract.

And we're not murdering journalists.

https://www.nbim.no/

Status
Not open for further replies.