Would you be okay with state or state-backed ownership?

Red Star One

The funny thing is that they back a 'United' fan who is a Chelsea season ticket holder and a righteous man who backed Brexit because new EU anti pollution laws would have stopped him from polluting Middlesbrough and Scotland. He even threatened to close shop if such rules were pushed on his industry. But hey, don't worry about his health. The guy lives in tax free Monaco while those living near his factories enjoy the fruit of his work.

What a great man Jim Ratcliffe is.
Hear, hear

Green Arrow

The thing with SJR is he's local person who loves the club and knows about the history and traditions I think he wants to be a custodian of that which is all good. However he recently or someone recently said he won't get swayed by passion but rather he will use his business sense, that sounds like to me he won't put money in if it's absolutely necessary. I don't think he will pay what the Glazers are asking and if he did pay that, will he pump in another 1B/2B after the purchase to get to be where we need. I don't think he will do that and that concerns me.

scottser

i'm reading a lot of resignation around the potential sale of united; 'sure there's sod all we can do if we're bought by the saudis' etc. sorry, but that's not good enough. i for one don't want the baggage that nufc fans have to put up with after the government rode roughshod over the fit and proper owner guidelines. as fans we need to let the current board and any potential new owners that we demand a say in how the club is run. that the women's team and youth set up are properly respected and resourced. that there must be a commitment to invest in the club and never again should there be a debt leveraged on to the club by its owners.

Bert_

I remember a time when Arsenal were the only club capable of competing with us. Wenger was the hipster choice. He was a sophisticated man who knew how to speak loads of languages and knew continental football well. The guy could bring some kid from France who would instantly become a success and his football was mind blowing (sometimes far better then ours). Anything surrounding Arsenal at the time oozed excitement. SAF on the other hand was the mature choice. His changes were often gradual and felt slow compared to Wenger's. Not to forget his hard Scottish accent which made it difficult for non Brits to understand. It was croissants vs British full breakfast, Ferrari vs Rolls Royce, the rivalry between the two was electric.

Yet no matter what new trick Wenger was able to perform we would still come up on top. We might not win the league in a bad year but rest assured that United would throw money at the problem and eventually come out on top. Then Abramovich came at Chelsea and the stakes went even higher. Arsenal started losing out as managing the club efficiently became the norm rather then the exception and it all came down to money, something only Chelsea and us had. The game was over the moment SAF started sympathising with Wenger. I know people who know SAF well (I met him a couple of times myself and shared a pint or two with his brother) and I assure you, the guy won't sympathise with you unless he stopped seeing you as a competitor. He was right as Wenger and Arsenal vanished in obscurity.

United had been horribly managed in the past decade. Our infrastructure is a mess, our transfer record is laughable and our executives are in their first job in their respective role. Darren Fletcher went from an U16 coach to technical director in a couple of months which is astounding even if he was an astronomical player let alone for someone who spent most of his football career acting second fiddle to Carrick or Scholes. The guy is known more for the CL final he lost (the one his fanboys believe that he would have single handily humiliated Iniesta, Messi and Xavi leading us to CL success) then the ones he was in. Anyway although I am a huge advocate of good management built around meritocracy, even I have to admit that it can take you to a certain point. United needs loads of investment both in the short term (stadium, training ground, executive team, squad) but would also need huge investment to keep up as lets face it, the Abu Dhabi/Saudi club will keep investing to stay on top.
How often did we throw money at the problem under SAF though and how often did it work? Maybe Andy Cole in 90s and RVP in his latter years?

And despite all that Arsenal are currently 5 point clear at the top of the league against an unlimited money side with a manager wildly credit as being one of the greatest of all time

Skåre Willoch

No, state ownership wouldn’t sit well with me at all. I would fall out of love somewhat I think.

Dion

The write-up was for people whining about human rights violations in Oil Backed nations and about not watching the Qatar World Cup.

I just wanted to remind them of the double-standards.
Those people also don't want the UK government to commit human rights violations either. We are not our government.

Last edited:

Eriku

I’d have to reconsider my relationship with United if we became the vanity project of some thuggish regime. I’d rather see our past ten years loop over and over than us becoming like City or PSG.

Suv666

Given the hefty price tag there are incredibly few who can acquire us. I’ve made peace with the fact that’s it probably going to be state backed ownership.

Dubai would be okay as they are the lesser evil, I know it’s hypocritical but what can you do its not in our hands.

Saudi would be a very tough pill to swallow.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The funny thing is that they back a 'United' fan who is a Chelsea season ticket holder and a righteous man who backed Brexit because new EU anti pollution laws would have stopped him from polluting Middlesbrough and Scotland. He even threatened to close shop if such rules were pushed on his industry. But hey, don't worry about his health. The guy lives in tax free Monaco while those living near his factories enjoy the fruit of his work.

He's not great, at all.

But, to the point of this thread and with all those things considered, he's still nowhere near as deplorable as some as the states who could own us. Or even as obviously unacceptable as some states who couldn't, like the UK itself for example. Which is why state ownership is a problem.

Last edited:

oneway

I don`t mind Kuwait or Dubai whose buyer is a Utd fan, that`s the way football is going we and we have to compete with City and Newcastle in the future.

Abraxas

It's not for me. I don't think the same joy would be there if we won the title because Dubai pumped in insane money. It just wouldn't. That's before even getting into the moral ramblings.

My utopia is we're bought by someone that..yes, is a businessman, and yes maybe takes a dividend occasionally, or wants to see his investment rise, but has enough money to own this club at a much lower level of debt and with lower costs to service financing. That allows us to utilise more of our self generated funds. That has a plan to improve our infrastructure. That puts the best football people in place, for the best chance of success.

Most of my issues with the Glazers are around how absent they are, how remote they are from understanding fans, how bad their decisions are. It's actually less to do with the nature of the ownership - but certainly it would be nicer if the owner was richer.

croadyman

Certainly going to be some fans walking away from the club at the thought of state ownership

el3mel

Don't have any issues as long as they're going to make the club win again.

arnie_ni

I'm not going to lie.

The human rights issues etc wouldn't suddenly make me stop supporting united. There just isn't any thing we can do about that and the ownership doesn't change my love for united. So no, but...

It would feel hollow as shit if we suddenly start pumping fake money into the club inflating our finances and just artificially buying our way back to the top.

Dan_F

i'm reading a lot of resignation around the potential sale of united; 'sure there's sod all we can do if we're bought by the saudis' etc. sorry, but that's not good enough. i for one don't want the baggage that nufc fans have to put up with after the government rode roughshod over the fit and proper owner guidelines. as fans we need to let the current board and any potential new owners that we demand a say in how the club is run. that the women's team and youth set up are properly respected and resourced. that there must be a commitment to invest in the club and never again should there be a debt leveraged on to the club by its owners.
Filled with body parts?

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
All valid points but you have to admit, the amplified nature of criticism for Qatar is mostly due to a brown nation hosting an International event, especially a brown muslim nation.

Of course, two wrongs don't make a right, but let's deal with bigots, racists and white-supremacists in our own backyard first, before going on TV and giving sermons about Qatar's human rights violations.

And this is not for people like us but corrupt politicians and biased tv anchors and others with a platform.

The abuse of labor in Qatar involved Western companies and their subsidiaries, including subsidiaries of a leading British construction company (if you have read the Guardian's report). So, it is not like the Qatari Government were able to pull off labor abuse in isolation without the contracting companies being hand in glove with the subjugation of laborers. Each and every one involved should be held accountable for it. Selective outrage will not address the problem.

Schmoozing around with Islamophobic French Premier's or wining and dining with spokespersons of the Hindtutva ideology, being in bed with Zionists and then going on the telly to talk about human rights violations in Qatar seems hypocritical.

If you are for human rights, and you have a platform, speak up for human-rights abuses everywhere, but when the victims are Palestinian or Uyghurs, the influential media persons suddenly resort to silence and some shamelessly support the oppressors. So, the double-standards are blatantly visible.
FFS, No I dont have to admit that because it's a bullshit narrative made up by bigots.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He's not great, at all.

But, to the point of this thread and with all those things considered, he's still nowhere near as deplorable as some as the states who could own us. Or even as obviously unacceptable as some states who couldn't, like the UK itself for example. Which is why state ownership is a problem.
Or maybe he would be that deplorable if he didn't happen to live in a country were such things aren't acceptable

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
No. Ideally we want someone rich enough to buy the club, clear the debts and redevelop the stadium. United will thrive then if the correct people are in place whose only remit is football not sponsorship teals with goodyear tyres or something.

They should understand and love football and the ethos of the club. That rules out Americans and for me oil states. Should be British owned or even European.
And there’s such a thing as unicorns too

Kaos

Certainly going to be some fans walking away from the club at the thought of state ownership
I doubt it. Easy to take the moral high ground now when we're plunging into irrelevance, but the moment we start winning trophies and become an elite European side most of those fans will be locked in.

A bit like how there was a lull in anti-Glazer sentiment when we were winning everything from 2007-09.

Dr Foo

No, I'd rather we continue to struggle than be financially doped up. What's the point of anything when you have unlimited funds? Build a team properly like Klopp did, or SAF did, or even say Brighton do.

Are the Glazers any good? No, I dislike them as much as the next person, but a state owned club is the next rung of the ladder down. At that point you might as well pack it in because the contest of football is dead and all that remains is who spends the most amount of money. Have people not been watching City and PSG spend crazy amounts of unearned money in a quest to win everything? Where's the sporting challenge in that? Great for United, but what about the rest of the league?

If anything having 3-4 oil clubs in our league would actually make me more open to a USA style system with fixed budgets and drafts (even though I dislike it because it rewards the owners more than players). Too often in the modern world free market capitalism goes mental and just becomes ruined by greed, and society and everything else decays because of it
Yup agree. Such a scenario would be the end of my support too. We would become as pointless as City. There is no need for us to have such owners as we already have resources. Just need a more responsible progressive non leeching ownership who ideally has the club's interest at heart. I am not sure how much say fans can have in this though. Football's generally spiralling down a dark capitalist hole anyways, I hope we can still keep our soul

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Take that sweet sweet oil, rub your fist in it and plunge it deep into my arse. Buy all the players, build us a new stadium and win those European Cups year on year.

Who says no to that? Nobody does.
:lol:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
As long as fans are free to protest / support human rights in the stands while at OT then I think Utd fans shouldn’t be shamed over whoever takes over.

Especially since Utd doesn’t even need insane cash - unlike City or Newcastle - as everyone knows it generates its own profit.

If some repugnant regime takes over I would wanna see rainbow / human rights flags and banners all over OT while Utd wins trophies and people in those countries watch on.

That’s how things change.

The thing that has disgusted me with the current WC is the fecking cowardly censorship.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'll always watch United regardless of who owns us - I am worried about who might buy us now but will wait and see before judging

If an oil state came in, paid off the debt, refurbed the stadium and invested sensibly in the team then I can't really see how we could complain

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The ultimate conflict isn't it?

There isn't any reality where a Manchester United could exist that I would be able to completely switch off from, regardless of the situation. It's been my team for 40 years.

So what then? Stop going to games? Refuse to buy merchandise? Adopt a new team?

I could do all of that, and may well do, but I criticised the FCUM mob way back when for doing exactly the same so that would make me a hypocrite. I'd also be depriving my kids from seeing United games, and they don't need to be burdened with my politics.

Ultimately I'd prefer to be a supporter of this United than that of a state backed, ethically questionable club that spends whatever it takes to win. What would be the point of that?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The ultimate conflict isn't it?

There isn't any reality where a Manchester United could exist that I would be able to completely switch off from, regardless of the situation. It's been my team for 40 years.

So what then? Stop going to games? Refuse to buy merchandise? Adopt a new team?

I could do all of that, and may well do, but I criticised the FCUM mob way back when for doing exactly the same so that would make me a hypocrite. I'd also be depriving my kids from seeing United games, and they don't need to be burdened with my politics.

Ultimately I'd prefer to be a supporter of this United than that of a state backed, ethically questionable club that spends whatever it takes to win. What would be the point of that?
Meh. You're entitled to think that circumstance X justifies action Y where circumstance Z didn't. And you're also entiltled to have a different perspective some 17 years later.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Meh. You're entitled to think that circumstance X justifies action Y where circumstance Z didn't. And you're also entiltled to have a different perspective some 17 years later.
It's largely the same thing though isn't it? Disapproval of the owners. My issue back then wasn't their disapproval, but instead their method of protest - walking away rather than staying put and having their voices be heard.

red thru&thru

I'd want Kuwait. They would have the money and plenty of reserves...both money and oil.

Ibrahimorich

Let's be honest, if you're going to pollute anywhere, it may as well be Middlesbrough. It's the arsehole of Britain. Basically, it all boils down to how many levels of abstraction do you want the owner to have from direct murder.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
For me it would be the final reason to stop giving a feck about football in general.

And, no - it wouldn't be particularly dramatic. I'm pretty much there already.

padr81

Supports
Man City
As long as fans are free to protest / support human rights in the stands while at OT then I think Utd fans shouldn’t be shamed over whoever takes over.

Especially since Utd doesn’t even need insane cash - unlike City or Newcastle - as everyone knows it generates its own profit.

If some repugnant regime takes over I would wanna see rainbow / human rights flags and banners all over OT while Utd wins trophies and people in those countries watch on.

That’s how things change.

The thing that has disgusted me with the current WC is the fecking cowardly censorship.
Hanging flags etc.. changes nothing. I see the official City twitter put rainbow stuff, rainbow badge etc.. huge hypocrisy and the owners don't care nor do the people who hold bigoted beliefs.
It will make zero difference to those people in those countries who believe in said regime. Not to say we should do nothing as anything is better than nothing.

-----------------------------------Not related to RA's post-----------------------------------------------------------

This place right now is alot like I was in 08 and even before when Thaksin was linked nevermind Abu Dhabi.

The truth is like myself (not all but) most United fans will just accept it for what it is, because we're mostly more indifferent to it than we let on. For myself I'm a massive hypocrite on many levels, supporting City is one, as is using an android phone, buying apple tech, wearing trainers like put together by children etc...

Most people don't care nearly as much about those places and their hr record as they say on the internet, its the sad truth. I'm not saying thats everyone but it is a huge majority sadly. I like to say these this is bad and that is bad but actions speak louder than words, I still shop where I shop, use what I use and support what I support.

Its not a nice position to be in, would I give up everything we've won for different owners? Honestly I don't know, would I prefer we've won what we've won with different owners? Absolutely. I comfort myself with Man City were Man City long before Abu Dhabi and will still be Man City long after.