Would you be okay with state or state-backed ownership?

Møllemanden

I comfort myself with Man City were Man City long before Abu Dhabi and will still be Man City long after.
By name, yes.

I'm a romantic. I like the way football used to be. If we're going to be a tool to some sportswashing state, then I think that's it for me.

Righteous Steps

Hanging flags etc.. changes nothing. I see the official City twitter put rainbow stuff, rainbow badge etc.. huge hypocrisy and the owners don't care nor do the people who hold bigoted beliefs.
It will make zero difference to those people in those countries who believe in said regime. Not to say we should do nothing as anything is better than nothing.

-----------------------------------Not related to RA's post-----------------------------------------------------------

This place right now is alot like I was in 08 and even before when Thaksin was linked nevermind Abu Dhabi.

The truth is like myself (not all but) most United fans will just accept it for what it is, because we're mostly more indifferent to it than we let on. For myself I'm a massive hypocrite on many levels, supporting City is one, as is using an android phone, buying apple tech, wearing trainers like put together by children etc...

Most people don't care nearly as much about those places and their hr record as they say on the internet, its the sad truth. I'm not saying thats everyone but it is a huge majority sadly. I like to say these this is bad and that is bad but actions speak louder than words, I still shop where I shop, use what I use and support what I support.

Its not a nice position to be in, would I give up everything we've won for different owners? Honestly I don't know, would I prefer we've won what we've won with different owners? Absolutely. I comfort myself with Man City were Man City long before Abu Dhabi and will still be Man City long after.
Man City in the current guise are who they are because of Abu Dhabi, before that they were the equivalent of a Wigan Bolton or at best West Ham(West Ham still had a greater history and relevance).

padr81

Supports
Man City
By name, yes.

I'm a romantic. I like the way football used to be. If we're going to be a tool to some sportswashing state, then I think that's it for me.
Football was never exactly fair but thats a different discussion. Its nothing to do with name, owners and success changes, we just happen to potentially have the (now potentially) 3rd worst in the history of the game but football's never been clean sadly.

I'll admire you if you can walk away from United if they get bought out by a regime/state or pos but likewise if you can't and many will not, because their attachment to the club is too strong. Man United will always be Man United.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Those people also don't want the UK government to commit human rights violations either. We are not our government.
We at least vote for our government. Those people living in Monarchies have no such choice. Look at the leaders we have selected - Boris Johnson, Lizz Truss, Rishi Sunak...all exemplary people. :rolleyes:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Man City in the current guise are who they are because of Abu Dhabi, before that they were the equivalent of a Wigan Bolton or at best West Ham(West Ham still had a greater history and relevance).
I shouldn't have posted because I had a feeling this rubbish would start and I didn't want the thread to turn into this but theirs always one who knows nothing about football but spouts off like they do.

Man City won their first major trophy in 1904 (thats before United btw.. not that it matters) and their first league title in 1937. Before the takeover City had more league titles than WestHam, Bolton and Wigan put together (given those 3 all had a combined total of 0.) All 3 of those clubs are clubs with great history even if its not as decorated as some and the arrogance of your post is why many of their fans love your recent struggles. Also Wigans only FA Cup win came vs a state funded City in 2013.

The funny thing is if you had said West Brom, Sheffield Wednesday, Preston or Sunderland you'd have a point but again in trying to be smart you showed your ignorance. I made a post about what its like to be owned by a piece of shit not measuring clubs dick size and I'll only be engaging in that from here on out.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
We at least vote for our government. Those people living in Monarchies have no such choice. Look at the leaders we have selected - Boris Johnson, Lizz Truss, Rishi Sunak...all exemplary people. :rolleyes:
I didn't vote for any of those. In fact I've voted in every election since 1997 and the candidate I've voted for has never won, not once.

I'll take no blame whatsoever for the actions of the UK government, thank you very much!

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
People who are saying that being state owned, is the only option for us to compete with City, Newcastle or PSG.

We currently have a higher wage bill than City. We currently outspend them in the transfer market. This is from money that the club generates.

We don't have a billion quid in the bank to build a new stadium. Neither did Spurs, they borrowed 900 million from the bank.

Bayern Munich consistently complete at the highest level, without being bankrolled by a country. They have a professional set up, a thriving scouting network and academy. Good sponsors who put the money in. Look at Dortmund, why do the likes of Bellingham, Haaland and Sancho go there? Because they are a well run club and they do things properly.

United need to look at building a structure that doesn't need billionaires to compete with the rest, it is a lazy option that relies on mercenaries. We can build this ourselves, and for that reason, a bid from Jim Radcliffe would be supported by me, because he would immediately improve the structure of the club, and bring in people who know how to run a successful football club. We already have the coaching arm of Ajax, maybe we should one further and get their CEO.
People go to Dortmund as it’s a stepping stone to a big team and they generally haven’t stood in the way of players leaving at the right time.
We have a higher wage bill than the “official” wage bill of Manchester City. Pretty sure they got caught doubling mancinis wage into a secret offshore bank account. I doubt we are even remotely close to the official figure of Man City’s wage bill.

Just hope we don’t get loaded with 8b of debt to find repayments for every year, would ruin us

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The truth is like myself (not all but) most United fans will just accept it for what it is, because we're mostly more indifferent to it than we let on.
Yeah, I think you're largely right about that.

It won't simply pass without any controversy, mind you. It will be more controversy than it was when you were purchased - because United have (many) more fans, both locally and in general.

But, ultimately, it won't matter.

It will be, let's say, normalized very quickly.

The number of United fans who will - in one way or another - actually abandon the club is likely bound to be insignificant in the grand scheme of things (the perspective of any new owner).

I'd abandon the club personally. As in - I wouldn't give a feck anymore in any shape or form. But I'm a former season ticket holder who no longer resides in Manchester, and who hasn't spent a penny on anything United related for years directly.

How many current season ticket holders would not renew if we were bought by Dubai (or whatever)? I personally know United fans who wouldn't - but realistically, they won't be in the majority. And in any case, they don't represent the real money in the first place. Match revenue is insignificant compared to other sources of income. A new owner of the sort we're talking about won't give a feck about local, match-going fans.

(They won't give a feck about legitimate sources of income at all - so, yeah.)

How many of United's global fan base would jump ship if we end up being owned by Dubai (or whatever)?

Not nearly enough.

So, yeah - again, you're right.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Literally all 3 of those were initially not voted in by the public…

2 of them have never been voted in by the public.

P.S how I miss the Truss ‘era’, if they must be inept repulsive shitheads at least make them genuinely comedic.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I don't know. I reckon I'd be largely done with the club in any meaningful way, though probably couldn't remove myself completely. I've no doubt they'll wage an amazing PR campaign and do a great job of keeping their dirty laundry hidden, which I'll be suckered in by to some degree. But I’m already borderline done with the sport so it would be a pretty final nail in the coffin. Not watching the world cup has been a lot easier than I thought it would be.

It’s inevitable though. Soon the PL will just be nations setting their play things against one another. I just hope I can find something else to feed the void in my life before football becomes completely unbearable.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I don't know. I reckon I'd be largely done with the club in any meaningful way, though probably couldn't remove myself completely. I've no doubt they'll wage an amazing PR campaign and do a great job of keeping their dirty laundry hidden, which I'll be suckered in by to some degree. But I’m already borderline done with the sport so it would be a pretty final nail in the coffin. Not watching the world cup has been a lot easier than I thought it would be.

It’s inevitable though. Soon the PL will just be nations setting their play things against one another. I just hope I can find something else to feed the void in my life before football becomes completely unbearable.
The Championship / League 1?

The footy is getting better and ownership is basically like it was in the 90s PL for the most part.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Honestly no, not even remotely, but what does it matter? There is a lot of things going on in this world I am not OK with.

Righteous Steps

I shouldn't have posted because I had a feeling this rubbish would start and I didn't want the thread to turn into this but theirs always one who knows nothing about football but spouts off like they do.

Man City won their first major trophy in 1904 (thats before United btw.. not that it matters) and their first league title in 1937. Before the takeover City had more league titles than WestHam, Bolton and Wigan put together (given those 3 all had a combined total of 0.) All 3 of those clubs are clubs with great history even if its not as decorated as some and the arrogance of your post is why many of their fans love your recent struggles. Also Wigans only FA Cup win came vs a state funded City in 2013.

The funny thing is if you had said West Brom, Sheffield Wednesday, Preston or Sunderland you'd have a point but again in trying to be smart you showed your ignorance. I made a post about what its like to be owned by a piece of shit not measuring clubs dick size and I'll only be engaging in that from here on out.
Sorry I should have said Sunderland or Preston but West Ham have definitely been more relevant than City for the last 40 years before the takeover, given the Bobby Moore era and their famed academy, good post though sorry if I offended you

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
The Championship / League 1?

The footy is getting better and ownership is basically like it was in the 90s PL for the most part.
Yeah I've considered that. I do loosely follow Plymouth Argyle and go to a game or two each season, but it's hard for me to really work up any true passion for them. Maybe that will change though!

Dion

Again, I didn't vote for any of them, you have no point, no argument, it's empty whataboutism.

Bobski

My dwindling emotional attachment would be gone.

Modern football is so shite as an experience. Where is the joy or achievement in winning by just outspending everyone, no-one cares about City winning titles, all so worthless.

mikel

United will be sold to a state and used for sport washing. Who is going to outbid a sovereign wealth fund backed by oil? Anyone think a Glaser will turn down an extra billion or 2 based on moral grounds? Or maybe the FA will get involved? I'll be done at that point. I don't like the current owners but at least they're just a******s.

MUnchies

I wouldn't like it. Any state that might buy us would be a shite oil state. And with unlimited money any victory would be hollow.

No one really cares about City's trophies because everyone knows it is just because of unlimited money.
It's a big difference though. We had been on top for decades winning everything without oil money so winning with oil money won't take the shine from it.
City pretty much won the lottery

croadyman

I'll always watch United regardless of who owns us - I am worried about who might buy us now but will wait and see before judging

If an oil state came in, paid off the debt, refurbed the stadium and invested sensibly in the team then I can't really see how we could complain
They could do all that along with putting the right people in place but still won't be enough for some fans

Boondog

The west has been telling the middle east how to think for centuries. That's the truth here. This is no different. Their values are behind us in terms of development. It's going to take them time to get there. So ironically enough launching an electronic crusade against them is going to be about as effective as the crusades were. They'll get there at some point, as the nations who are buying teams are the westernized allies among them. We can help get them there faster by being good examples of why our system and beliefs are better, instead of condemning them like a new-age catholic church.

So yes. I am fine with state-sponsored ownership. It may even be best for both parties in many ways.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Honestly no, not even remotely, but what does it matter? There is a lot of things going on in this world I am not OK with.
Indeed, but typically the point of sport (for me at least) is to offer an escape from all the things in the world I'm not okay with. And it will be difficult to escape that stuff if the club is rightly receiving constant criticism for being associated with and profiting from some particularly unpleasant forms of it.

In other words even leaving aside all the bigger moral arguments, just from a pure football POV the experience will be worse. Watching football will be less fun if I don't support United, supporting United will be less fun if it's surrounded by all that noise, all that noise will be made worse by the braindead reactions of idiot football fans to it and as is I'm interested enough in football that I'd be exposed to quite a lot of that in one way or another. None of that is fun.

So the likely outcome is just being less and less engaged and more casual a football fan. Even as is there have been increasing periods over the last few years where I've thought football was taking up too many hours of my week relative to the amount of actual joy it brings and I've watched fewer actual games.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It doesn't really matter in the end, none of the fans will have much influence on who buys the club.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
So a lot of people on here will go support some other club which suit their romantic rainbow unicorn outlook if we are bought by a state?

Bert_

Boris won a (landslide) general election with 43% of the total vote.

Liz Truss was elected by 0.1% of eligible UK voters (only Tory members could vote).

Rishi Sunak was appointed by Tory MPs so they didn't even bother with any sort of election.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
How often did we throw money at the problem under SAF though and how often did it work? Maybe Andy Cole in 90s and RVP in his latter years?

And despite all that Arsenal are currently 5 point clear at the top of the league against an unlimited money side with a manager wildly credit as being one of the greatest of all time
SAF was blessed with a magnificent backroom especially during his early and mid reign. Harrison for example deserve a frigging statue at OT as the academy he lead kept producing top talent such as Hughes, Giggs, Beckham right to his final talent Wes Brown. At one point he was one of the very few to believe in a small red haired boy who couldn't last more then 15 minutes on the pitch because of Asthma. Needless to say who was the one who ended up with the final laugh. Meanwhile the scouts pre Martin Ferguson kept unearthing talent such as Ole, Sharpe, Kanchelskis, Schmeichel and Johnsen.

However let's not kid ourselves here, SAF broke many national and world transfer records. We wouldn't have won the treble without him strengthening the entire spine of the team and the defence post Stam was in a pretty mess. SAF also built a reputation of spending huge on kids. Nowadays everyone claim that they were an inch away from signing Ronaldo before we signed him up but I remember very well the outrage behind us signing an 18 year old kid who would dribble himself to the corner flag for 17m. These days that look peanuts but at the time you could easily get a top talent in his prime for that fee. Its so easy to remember the great successes but mistakes were made as well. SAF's early signings weren't great, we spent a huge sum of money for Veron and Bebe's signing for 7m (who was a decent fee at the time) still stinks till this very day.

If United didn't had deep pockets then our progress would probably have halted and that despite the fact that the EPL was nowhere near as rich and as competitive as it is today

ScholesyTheWise

never in a million years. Sadly it'll be either that or watching other teams get such owners and eventually competing with the ones who already have such owners. This is where football is heading, and I believe many of us here have already fallen out of love with the game and are just so addicted to United (or better put- United is so ingrained in ourselves and our lives) that it's virtually impossible not to be a football fan.

If some country buys us- and I agree with those who said that it doesn't matter which country- that'll be the end of the road for me.

I don't trust myself to fully be able not to follow United's results and not to watch some highlights here and there,
But I'll definitely try to be the most uninterested fan I could manage to become.

Bert_

SAF was blessed with a magnificent backroom especially during his early and mid reign. Harrison for example deserve a frigging statue at OT as the academy he lead kept producing top talent such as Hughes, Giggs, Beckham right to his final talent Wes Brown. At one point he was one of the very few to believe in a small red haired boy who couldn't last more then 15 minutes on the pitch because of Asthma. Needless to say who was the one who ended up with the final laugh. Meanwhile the scouts pre Martin Ferguson kept unearthing talent such as Ole, Sharpe, Kanchelskis, Schmeichel and Johnsen.

However let's not kid ourselves here, SAF broke many national and world transfer records. We wouldn't have won the treble without him strengthening the entire spine of the team and the defence post Stam was in a pretty mess. SAF also built a reputation of spending huge on kids. Nowadays everyone claim that they were an inch away from signing Ronaldo before we signed him up but I remember very well the outrage behind us signing an 18 year old kid who would dribble himself to the corner flag for 17m. These days that look peanuts but at the time you could easily get a top talent in his prime for that fee. Its so easy to remember the great successes but mistakes were made as well. SAF's early signings weren't great, we spent a huge sum of money for Veron and Bebe's signing for 7m (who was a decent fee at the time) still stinks till this very day.

If United didn't had deep pockets then our progress would probably have halted and that despite the fact that the EPL was nowhere near as rich and as competitive as it is today
I don't see how any of this disproves the point that money doesn't solve all problems Structure and managerial/coaching appointments are more important.

Also you seem to be misremembering a lot of our recent history...

SAF broke many national and world transfer records.
He broke the British transfer record twice (Rio and Veron). Never came close to the world transfer record.

We wouldn't have won the treble without him strengthening the entire spine of the team
He bought Yorke and Stam. Absolutely made a difference but two players is hardly a new spine.

SAF also built a reputation of spending huge on kids.
Did he? Which kids did he buy apart from Ronaldo and Rooney?

Nowadays everyone claim that they were an inch away from signing Ronaldo before we signed him up but I remember very well the outrage behind us signing an 18 year old kid who would dribble himself to the corner flag for 17m.
It was £12m if I remember correctly. Also, there was pretty much universal consensus he was something special from day 1 amongst all the united fans I knew at the time.

Its so easy to remember the great successes but mistakes were made as well. SAF's early signings weren't great, we spent a huge sum of money for Veron and Bebe's signing for 7m (who was a decent fee at the time) still stinks till this very day.
Name me one manager that hasn't made mistakes? At least we managed to claw back more than half of the fee we paid for Veron by flogging him to Chelsea. No idea why you brought Bebe up or what that's got to do with anything.

JohnnyKills

Football was never exactly fair but thats a different discussion. Its nothing to do with name, owners and success changes, we just happen to potentially have the (now potentially) 3rd worst in the history of the game but football's never been clean sadly.

I'll admire you if you can walk away from United if they get bought out by a regime/state or pos but likewise if you can't and many will not, because their attachment to the club is too strong. Man United will always be Man United.
Yeah. I think most of us will come round to the idea although obviously it's not the preferred solution. We've just got to hope it's not one of the truly awful regimes.

(And btw I totally empathise with fans who walk away).

Foxbatt

So a lot of people on here will go support some other club which suit their romantic rainbow unicorn outlook if we are bought by a state?
Forget about a state. A lot will go now because Ronaldo has gone.

Kag

I’ll make do with it, I guess. From the iPhones in our pockets, to the clothes that we wear, there’s a hypocrisy somewhere in our lives.

From a purely footballing perspective, I’m a lot more worried about some arsehole Yank coming in than I am a consortium from the Middle East. With the latter, at least you know that they’ll bring in the best in class. The worst case scenario would be the Glazers mk II.

Cloud7

No, but in truth I know it's most likely going to happen. One of the few crumbs of comfort would be the fact it wouldn't define us as a club, we're already huge they wouldn't have made us, thus instantly making us different to the other oil backed clubs. But it would be quite the pill to swallow.
This is where I'm at honestly. Initially (like whenever the Saudi rumors came up) I was vehemently against it. I even went so far as to say I would consider not watching United anymore, which I have come to realize I simply cannot do. Now that we're faced with the reality of it, I have made my peace with it being a situation that I have no control over, and that it will likely happen. As you said, it will be quite the pill to swallow, but one a lot of us may unfortunately have to. I would not blame anyone for walking away, and fair play to those strong enough to do so. I don't have it in me.

Last edited: