Would you commit to United if you were Bruno?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The sub-title of this thread is “Does Pogba have a point?”

One of the things I have been reflecting on is the differing attitudes of players such as Pogba and De Gea to sticking around at Manchester United, signing big contract extensions with probably some acceptance that United are not the club who are best served to deliver major titles currently.

As much as people can lament the timing of Raiola’s intervention, I’m not sure it really told us anything, other than Pogba wouldn’t mind going back to Juve, given the interview happened with the Turin paper. I don’t really have any problem with Pogba’s position even.

For me, it is entirely logical. Bruno’s now the star man at Old Trafford, with Pogba being very much in a bit part supporting role that doesn’t match his skill set. For whatever reason, the 4-3-3 with Bruno and Pogba we all hoped to see has not materialised. Instead Bruno’s essentially being used as some some sort of minor upgrade on Pogba. If I was Pogba, I wouldn’t want to commit to United either. Ole seemingly has the club’s backing and therefore it makes little sense for Pogba to commit to a supporting role in a side unlikely to compete for too many major honours, let alone league and European titles.

Let’s contrast that with De Gea, who essentially got to the top of the goalkeeping profession, -and then continued to settle for playing for an indifferent team, albeit one winning a few cups. Rather than push for a transfer or drift towards free agency, De Gea re-signed for astronomical wages, when no real challenge for the truly major honours could be expected. Frankly, he’s now pissed away what should have been his peak years. His form and drive has seemingly suffered from not having a fresh challenge on the pitch or a strong manager who would demand that he addressed his weaker areas. We’re now in De Gea’s third season of sheer regression. He’s now more of a burden to his club than Ozil. At least Ozil is done at Arsenal next summer. De Gea is here until 2023!

I’d rather have players like Pogba and Rooney that rock the boat and either challenge the club to do more to make the most out of their careers or look to move themselves on, even if it strays into becoming toxic. There’s a reason why De Gea is at United, and Auba and Ozil are at Arsenal.

This brings us on to Bruno Fernandes. We know all about his personality from his time at Sporting, where he walked the fine line of professionalism in chastising his teammates publicly and the club for not meeting his level. Bruno isn’t going to be a shrinking violet if we are just rehashing these last two seasons for the duration of his contract. He’ll become spiky or toxic. Moreover, I’d be disappointed if someone like Bruno did just tolerate this mediocrity for potentially bigger wages.

Bruno might have a contract to 2025, but he’s apparently only on wages comparable to Lingard of just over £100k per week. That situation is not going to tenable for long. He’s going to have a massive decision to make over whether to commit to United or not, whether he demands the salary of the highest earner at the club, or whether he instructs his agent to seek out a move to a club that can give him a better chance of consistent silverware.

Would you commit to United for what would ostensibly be the peak years of your career if you were Bruno? Or would you use United as a stepping stone now that you have shown that you can’t just deliver in the PL and Europe, but you are an elite player?

NJM78

I would not be throwing out my toys just yet as the club has shown faith in me by bringing me here...BUT if Ole was to stay and we continued to be average and possibly scrape CL qualification again, whilst winning feck all, I would definitely be looking to go the following summer.

So as of now I would not be signing a new deal until the summer if at all. New manager and real quality signings would help.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
To be honest he’s nowhere near the level we’d expect a United player to be over the years. Embarrassing post. He’s the one who needs to improve. This is the same club who had Scholes playing for us week in week out.

Summerwine

What a long-winded way to say blame United for Pogba's terrible behaviour.

Bruno isn't a minor upgrade on Pogba, he's levels apart.

Pogba should never be compared with Rooney in any way.

If Pogba had done the job we bought him to do he wouldn't be a bit part player.

If I were Bruno I'd be off to Madrid or Barca

Stretfordender

If I was him, no. The club don’t match his ambitions. That being said as a club (Glazers) don’t have the appetite/ambition to win anything apart from making money for their fat pockets. Parasites.

snk123

To be honest he’s nowhere near the level we’d expect a United player to be over the years. Embarrassing post. He’s the one who needs to improve. This is the same club who had Scholes playing for us week in week out.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
No chance. I would sign a new deal if we get a DoF who has actual power and get a new manager with a vision on how we're going to progress.

I also wouldn't sign until I see the appointments because I trust Woodward as much as the blonde clown in charge of the UK.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'd be thinking about where I can go to win stuff. Thankfully though, there's usually more to these things, hence why quality players stay at teams like Spurs for so long. Perhaps he'll feel attached to seeing us improve.

GenZRed

He should be made captain.

I'm sure he knew about the state of this club before he joined and OGS convinced him of his long-term vision for club. VdB mentined this project when he signed for us.

I suppose though part of OGS plan for VdB in involved him on the bench in a crucial CL game while an over the hill CM and an average Scottish midfielder start ahead of him.

Ace

Bruno for player-manager. Couldn’t be any worse at naming a starting eleven each week with whatever random formation and tactical approach we’ve pulled out of a hat.

Still early, he’s not been here a year yet. But it’ll depend on the gaffer I guess, if the club keep the management after finishing outside top 4 he’ll consider his options for sure.
All players get giddy with a new top manager coming in though.

Green_Red

I would not be throwing out my toys just yet as the club has shown faith in me by bringing me here...BUT if Ole was to stay and we continued to be average and possibly scrape CL qualification again, whilst winning feck all, I would definitely be looking to go the following summer.

So as of now I would not be signing a new deal until the summer if at all. New manager and real quality signings would help.
How could Pogba blame Ole for being average if he is in the team? Not winning something is as much the players problem as the manager, surely?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Nope I wouldn't, unless Ole was replaced by a proper manager.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
That isn’t being ‘honest’

laughtersassassin

If I was a top footballer playing for another team and was also a United fan I wouldn't even join United.

And if I was playing for United there wouldn't be a chance I'd be signing a contract extension of I could play for the like of Juve, Bayern etc.

Post Ferguson all we do is waste players careers. We do t have enough ambition. Simple as.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
As much as it pains me to say it he’s too good for us. It looks like we promise players the world and then they are dropped into a dysfunctional squad with no leadership and not enough quality in key positions. Bruno has majorly thrived despite all this. Top player.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
That isn’t being ‘honest’
Really? We’re talking about a potential United captain and people are asking whether he should commit to United or not? The guy should try stop giving the ball away so often to even consider himself in the same league Keane, Scholes, Robson etc. before he doubts “committing” to United. Fact is he’s the best signing we’ve made in years but still not at the level that we should expect. He’s a way to go before we ask the question about whether he’s not getting out of United what he’s putting in.

NJM78

How could Pogba blame Ole for being average if he is in the team? Not winning something is as much the players problem as the manager, surely?
I was ignorIng the sub-title about Pogba. Purely about Bruno, sorry should have been more clear.

Monkey bus

Even if he wanted to go, which I doubt he would after less than a year, who can afford to buy him from us?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Utter nonsense. He spent 2 seasons and a half at Sporting and during that period he had a ex President imploding, an Academy being invaded by Ultras, the best players left, the club almost went bankrupt, crap coaches, crap players, crap environment, the ultras who supported the former President calling him everyday a rat because he wanted to leave the club, and do you think coming to one of the best clubs, in one of the best leagues in the World, where he is liked by the fans he will want to leave the club? :lol:

Stop putting players above the club, he is professional and well paid to do his job. Regarding Solskjaer it's another matter, but he certainly won't go against him.

Lebowski

I think it's really simple.

If we don't match Bruno's ambition and talent, he'll probably be off to another club. But he'll have the blessing of the vast majority of United fans because he is professional and delivered the performance and drive equal to any midfielder in the world during his time here.

When Pogba leaves, not many fans will shed a tear since he's been average at best (and that's being charitable), and his tenure will mostly be remembered for the insane media circus that he encouraged and woefully inconsistent disappointing performances.

Fans understand that players don't share their die hard love for their club, they just expect professionalism, commitment and talent each time they put on the United shirt.

Jack-C20

Utter nonsense. He spent 2 seasons and a half at Sporting and during that period he had a ex President imploding, an Academy being invaded by Ultras, the best players left, the club almost went bankrupt, crap coaches, crap players, crap environment, the ultras who supported the former President calling him everyday a rat because he wanted to leave the club, and do you think coming to one of the best clubs, in one of the best leagues in the World, where he is liked by the fans he will want to leave the club? :lol:

Stop putting players above the club, he is professional and well paid to do his job. Regarding Solskjaer it's another matter, but he certainly won't go against him.
We’re grieving mate, leave logic out of this.

But I agree, he knew the score when he joined. If he joined after being told that we’d go on to spend big every year and try to push on all fronts, only for us to not to then he might have a right to be annoyed. All I know is that if we had a few more players that cared as much as him we’d be alright. I’ll only start worrying when he refuses to sign a contract extension.

Mingus

Taken from when Bruno signed, the league table would put us 2 pts behind Liverpool with a game in hand.

Why would he want to leave?

Progress is happening.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
If I were Bruno I would. But then I've been a United fan all my life and would play for United for free.
Bruno being a top class and ambitious professional will surely want out unless things change. A lot of things.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
If i was a professional football player id stay away from anything related to glazers

The Oracle

It's a really easy question for Bruno to answer...

> if he wants to go down in history as one of United's best ever players (early indications suggest that this could be a real possibility), then he spends his peak years at Manchester United

> if he wants to win trophies then he goes to Real Madrid (I would have mentioned Barcelona as well, but I honestly don't think they'll be a force any more once Messi goes to City at the end of the season).

*EDIT - I'm a Utd fan so it's obvious which one I would choose.

el3mel

He seems to really love being here and is adored by fans. Beside he surely knows Ole won't be our manager forever. I think he's committed, for now.

G-MUFC

It's too early for him to consider leaving. However if we continue not to challenge for major titles I can see him getting his head turned by a Barca or Madrid who are more likely to win a Champions League than we are.
The level of performance that Bruno is capable of deserves to be in the Champions League. He's wasting his career if we spend the next few years in the Europa.

Web of Bissaka

Yes, at least fully committed for this season.
End of season, I'll start thinking if this club is really serious in getting back to become the best or not, or if I should start jumping ship.

So..
Season 20/21 -- full commitment.
Season 21/22 - committed but consider leaving next summer (if still shit).

Season 22/23 - if still shit pre-season, left already but if prison by club, January it is or until end of season, that's the final. Why bother wasting time in this sleeping top club filled with incompetent people in charge. I have ambition to win trophies and this club is no longer the same club that once were serious in winning, not merely hoping and fooling fans around like it is nowadays.

3 seasons minimum giving us great games and great efforts are enough. Money should never be the factor as to why you stay, just look at De Gea with that glorious sky high wages not relative to his actual performances and contributions on the pitch. Lack of ambition.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Yes. I say that because Bruno has this thing that 90% of the other players in our squad don't have.. Integrity. Playing his balls off for the shirt, the fans and the club regardless of the wages he's paid. Sign more players like that and we'll go places, bosh innit.

SAFMUTD

I wouldnt ask to leave just yet, but if by next summer Ole still in charge I would ask the board for a new manager or give a transfer request.

We are starting to see his frustration, he performs but he can't be carrying the team everytime, must be dissapointing to arrive to such a big club with such rich history and realize you'll work with average coaches at best.

He's not a United fan so if I was in his shoes snd see no proper signs of improvement and ambition I would totally told the club to feck off and go to a team with actual ambition whose target is to win titles instead of achieving UCL football.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don’t think he will mind staying at the club for a few more years, as he was a player no big clubs want a year ago, playing for Sporting. So wherever we are at the moment, it’s still a big step up for him.
A few more years of shite football, when his ambition hasn’t been matched at this club, he may change his mind though.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yes. I say that because Bruno has this thing that 90% of the other players in our squad don't have.. Integrity. Playing his balls off for the shirt, the fans and the club regardless of the wages he's paid. Sign more players like that and we'll go places, bosh innit.
How do you know for sure? Fact is no big club wants him a year ago, he was playing for Sporting in farmers league, and unproven at the highest stage (don’t forget he hasn’t quite proved himself at Serie A few years ago, which end up moving back to Portugal)

Money and fame wise, Man Utd has already offer him the best package he could have asked for at that time.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It's a really easy question for Bruno to answer...

> if he wants to go down in history as one of United's best ever players (early indications suggest that this could be a real possibility), then he spends his peak years at Manchester United

> if he wants to win trophies then he goes to Real Madrid (I would have mentioned Barcelona as well, but I honestly don't think they'll be a force any more once Messi goes to City at the end of the season).

*EDIT - I'm a Utd fan so it's obvious which one I would choose.
Except he won’t go down in history as one of United best ever players, when he’s not winning any major trophies here. If he is winning trophies, maybe there’s no need for him to move to Real etc. (Unless he won everything here already and wants a new challenge elsewhere)