Would you prefer Spurs in the semis, or in the final?

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
I'm not by any means writing off the Championship teams, especially Burnley who it seems are the Barnsley of the League Cup this year. But indulge me by speaking hypothetically for a second here.

Simple question though.

Personally I'd prefer them in the semis. And then Derby in the final :devil:

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I think we'll win it either way.

If we are to play Spurs in the semis then hopefully we'll have the away leg first, so that if we do get beat we have the option of picking a couple of the big boys for the return leg, and we will know what we have to do at OT.

Ideally, of course, I hope we get Derby in the semis and Burnley go and knock out Spuds :D

B Cantona

Desperate
Wouldn't mind. But it's always nice to have a 'showpiece' final rather than one you're overwhelming favourites to win. So I'd take Burnley in the semis, batter them home and away, and then Spurs in the final. And batter them too :D

Canuckred64

I would prefer Spurs in the final. With Berbatov scoring the winner in injury time, with an assist from Carrick.

Justin

It would be nice if we can knock the defending champs in the semis.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I'd prefer Spurs for a number of reasons.

Even with a recent revival Spurs are still a weak squad which I am sure Redknapp will try to strengthen in January. Rather play them when he's still wheeling and dealing rather then when he has a more settled team.

We're obviously favourites whoever we play. If we play Spurs, we'll still be favourites to go to the final. Redknapp's caused Fergie a bother in Cup matches before but it is more difficult to cause an upset over two matches than it is over one. I'd take the two legged aspect and hopefully we can get Spurs at Old Trafford in the 2nd leg.

Lastly if some fans are going to get forced to pay for a Cup match, may as well be against a decent side.

So Spurs it is for me.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Semis. Two more games to blood the youngsters against the best opposition left.
Actually I would think that if we got Spurs in the Semi's then SAF would play fewer and fewer youngsters (not taking any chances) So as to ensure we progress...

So I would hope that we get either Derby Or Burnley... so that a maximum number of our younger players could play 2 more games... Ideally I would hope that either Derby or Burnley knock Tottenham out! So that our more of our young guns can play in the Final too...

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
It's the League Cup, I couldn't care less who we get really. I reckon it would be nice for Burnley to get Spurs though just so they can have the honour of knocking out 4 London Premiership teams in the same season before losing to us in the final.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Definitely prefer Spurs in the final and Burnley in the semi

and I would keep the reserves playing - was very happy to hear that 10 changes were made from our team against City

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Funny how we've all taken such an interest in the Carling Cup.

:D

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Still not fully convinced Fergie will keep playing such a young team when we are "close" to winning a trophy. Remember when we played Arsenal a few years ago when Fergie and Wenger had fielded young teams in every round and then suddenly the average age in both teams went up with a couple of years. Bellion got the winner I think.

Tabata

Likes threads entitled 'Torres Signs' & welches on
The season is long enough as it is. I don't want to have to play two hard games against Spurs in the League Cup if we don't have to. Spurs in the Final please.

Floyd

Still not fully convinced Fergie will keep playing such a young team when we are "close" to winning a trophy. Remember when we played Arsenal a few years ago when Fergie and Wenger had fielded young teams in every round and then suddenly the average age in both teams went up with a couple of years. Bellion got the winner I think.
The team wasn't really that young was it?

It was a team made up of a some youngsters and our second string players.
Fergie got the mix spot on and should continue like that. I'd like to see Welbeck mind.

Foster 25
Rafael 18
Neville 33
Evans 20
O'Shea 27
Gibson 21
Possebon 19
Anderson 20
Giggs 35
Nani 22
Tevez 24

Average: 24.

Our squad is amazing.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
The team wasn't really that young was it?

It was a team made up of a some youngsters and our second string players.
Fergie got the mix spot on and should continue like that. I'd like to see Welbeck mind.
WTF happened to O'Shea yesterday? It was because of him that we did not see Welbeck.. Even though he had a good game yesterday he still fecked up...

Anduin

Foster 25
Rafael 18
Neville 33
Evans 20
O'Shea 27
Gibson 21
Possebon 19
Anderson 20
Giggs 35
Nani 22
Tevez 24

Average: 24.

Our squad is amazing.
Indeed.
Replace Neville with Vidic at centre-back and this is a very strong team to be honest. Giggs, Anderson, Nani and Tevez are capable of destroying every team, especially at home. We scored five goals without Rooney, Berbatov and Ronaldo - our three most creative players. Tells you something about squad depth and young players with lots of potential (Evans, Possebon, Rafael, Welbeck, even Gibson) coming through.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Definitely in the final, with the crowed fixture list coming up we could really do with a championship team so we can play understrength teams in the semi's

Derby in the Semi's
Spurs/Burnley in the final

Floyd

WTF happened to O'Shea yesterday? It was because of him that we did not see Welbeck.. Even though he had a good game yesterday he still fecked up...
Yes, it's O'Shea's fault Welbeck didn't play.

:rolleyes:

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Yes, it's O'Shea's fault Welbeck didn't play.

:rolleyes:
If you practically think of it YES it is... I think he went off with a knock.. If he hadn't got that knock Evra would not have come on... and if Evra would not have come on we would have brought Welbeck on!

I don't blame O'Shea for it and the hit out was meant as a joke!

Doevle

Final definetly. I'd much rather beat a Premiership-team in the final. Brings a bit more prestige to the cup.

Adebesi

I see the point people are making about the 2 legs but my view is that it is better to have a more formidable opponent in the final, for the sense of occasion. Remember the FA Cup final against Milwall? What an anti climax. Derby would be the same - though of course being the Carling Cup it is not going to be a massive climax either way. (Assuming we get there, of course.)