Would you rather win the Premier League or the Champions League?

Would you rather win the PL or CL?

• Total voters

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Wanted to start this thread for a while now, finally did it after a discussion regarding this broke in the "Would you accept finishing fifth if no title for Lpool" thread.

Being a glory-hunting fan with no ties to Manchester or England, this is unfathomable for me, given that CL is widely regarded as the pinnacle of club football, but I have seen many posters over the years express different views.

Of course, there is the "league vs cup competition" component of it, with more consistency needed to win a league competition, but I also feel that there is the factor of one's surroundings. What I mean by this is that an United fan from England can gloat over Liverpool fans for beating them to the PL title on a day-to-day basis while it is unlikely that he has too many Real Madrid/Bayern/Juventus/whatever fans in his immediate surroundings...

So, my question to the CAF is: would you rather be champions of England or Europe and why?

Mods, I would really appreciate if you could add a four-choice poll that would contain one's location (binary - England or not) and choice - I am from England and would rather win the PL; I am not from England and would rather win the PL, etc.

SirAF

Ageist

The CL is bigger and carry more prestige, but the PL is more important. You got to be the best in your own backyard.

CL. The league is more important but we haven't won the CL enough times, it's the only gap in our trophy cabinet.

J_XO

If it was offered now, tough choice. Beating Liverpool to the title this season would be hilariously incredible.

Deleted member 101472

The champions league.

Best in Europe > Best in England.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
CL is a glorified cup competition with music and over the top hype. Don't believe the hype or casuals.

Rather win PL. Nothing beats a proper title race.

Solve this debate by kicking out teams that didn't win their league the previous season. Then you won't have entitled fans of teams that are perennial 4th place finishers saying CL > PL. The discussion would be moot because you'd need the PL to even start that conversation.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
CL is a glorified cup competition with music and over the top hype. Don't believe the hype or casuals.

Solve this debate by kicking out teams that didn't win their league the previous season. Then you won't have entitled fans of teams that are perennial 4th place finishers saying CL > PL. The discussion would be moot because you'd need the PL to even start that conversation.
Oh I’d love that.

freeurmind

weak willed
CL. We need to get to 5 titles to officially leave Liverpool with no case for them being the greatest club in English football history.

Mick321

The CL every time unless extreme circumstances like Liverpool where they've not won a league for decades.

The CL isn't important to some on here though as evidenced by that god awful 5th place thread.

Cloud7

Champions league by a mile. Biggest trophy in club football :drool:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Huh? That’s an odd thing to say
The PL has some strange fans within it that aren't really seen in other leagues which leads to over valuing it. For example, PL fans swore up and down despite mountains of evidence that the PL had the best teams but there were all sorts of mitigating factors that led to Spanish domination in Europe. It eventually got to a point where denial wasn't possible.

I think it has to do with nostalgia and marketing. The PL has been marketed as competitive without a title race in ages, as the most entertaining despite big games being low quality on a regular basis (as well as the bottom half of the table being downright horrible).

If we were in the 2000s then I would say the PL and CL were quite close. That is because the PL was extremely high quality back then.

Vfc_brato

Supports
FK Velež
PL no doubt, if you offer me 2 PL or 10 CL i would take the PL. Its simple as that.

diarm

For me, winning the Champions League is less credible if you haven't also won your domestic league. I know there are plenty who disagree and I respect their opinions but for me, you can still fluke your way to a cup win in the Champions League a la Liverpool in 05 but league tables don't lie.

If you're not the best side in your own country, you can't be the best in Europe.

Raw

CL. Winning it 3 times for a club of our stature isn't good enough.

It's close though. Winning the PL in the post Fergie years would be incredibly satisfying.

marktan

Both. But it's been a long time since we've even challenged for the PL, so I'd rather challenge for that.

Usually if you're good enough to win the PL, you'll do well in the CL anyway.

Skills

Snitch
Champions League.

Moscow is still the best moment of my life supporting United.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For me it has always been the PL. The CL is a cup, you don't have to be the best team to win it, it's not based on 9 month of good and regular performances. The PL is the crown of english football, when you win it you are the undisputed best of the season in England. On a side note, I love the FA cup.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Is the World Cup a glorified competition too?

The millions and milions of french fans celebrating didn't seem to care it was a cup competition that doesn't accurately judge who the best team is.

Grib

What no Liverpool stipulation, dissapointed 3/10

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC

The millions and milions of french fans celebrating didn't seem to care it was a cup competition that doesn't accurately judge who the best team is.
What's international football got to do with club football, totally different dynamic.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'd rather reassert our mark on the domestic front before we even consider taking on the might of Europe.

Definitely the PL for me.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

To each their own of course! @JPRouve most likely doesn't give a feck about what I think about the World Cup's merits. And he shouldn't.

I'm speaking of club football, but for international football, while the WC is a glorious trophy to win, it occurs too infrequent to be a complete gauge of who the best team in the world is. It's part of the conversation of course. I'd say that given this France team's performance at this WC, the last Euros (where they were unlucky to lose to a team brilliantly coached/inspired by Ronaldo), and the players they have that feature for some of the best club teams in Europe, then they have a very strong claim to being the best side in the world right now.

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
As a Liverpool fan, without a seconds thought the league! We have 5 European Cups and have not won the league since before I was born!

If I supported United it would be the Champions League.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Right now Premier League. If we won a couple of them on the bounce, Champions League.

Sir Scott McToMinay

CL without winning your domestic league is half the trophy.
No way you can claim to be the best team in Europe without being the best team in your own country, it’s just another fancy KO competition that way.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Premier League.

I'm having some problems with Champions League, and until UEFA decides to fix them (just call me, Infantino, for fecks sakes), it'll be Premiership for me. Though, maybe even with fixed CL, I'd still prefer competition that has those lovely weekend day matches.