Would you rather win the Premier League or the Champions League?

Would you rather win the PL or CL?

• Total voters

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Normally if we haven't won the league for a while I would prefer to win the league. I've never really taken CL winners seriously if they aren't at least taking their domestic league down to the wire and winning it quite often in the surrounding seasons.

On the other hand, if we had been winning the PL semi-regularly the last few seasons then I would take the CL for sure.

However in our current situation where we have already won the domestic league more than anyone else, I'd have to lean the way of the CL.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Hopefully in a few years we won't have to make this choice.

meamth

Winning the league at all cost. We have to widen the gap against the dippers.

If we won the league for many seasons, CL is the next best thing.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Do Bristol Rovers fans really spend time worrying about which trophies they will win? I admire your optimism.
My local team is Bristol Rovers but the team I really support are Manchester United.

Bristol Rovers never have and probably will not win anything of note.
But I am quite optimistic that United will soon be challenging for the PL and CL.

redchamp

Liverpool being top right now is skewing things, but really it's the CL. When you've won the title 20 times, but the CL only 3 times, it's only logical.

I was desperate to be the first to retain the CL in the modern era in 2009, before those Madrid feckers went and did it 3 on the bounce.

Minimalist

So if United lucked their way to win a Champions League instead of going absolutely mental you'd be emotionless due to not being the best team in Europe? Who gives a shit if they're the best or not? The game is about winning, not about being perceived as the best.

When we won the Euros the whole country blew up and every single person was on the street going mad in what was the biggest party I'll ever see, I guess everyone should have stayed at home disappointed that we weren't the best team in the tournament.

I'll really never understand this point of view, the only league where so many fans would argue they'd prefer to win it over the Champions League is the Premier League.
What a straw man argument.

I'll really never understand this point of view
That's not my problem.

Brian Clough thought the same back in the day of the European Cup even while winning the thing twice on the bounce and it wasn't due to Nottingham Forrest winning 20 league titles.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
For a United fan Id think the CL? You already have most League titles anyway.

For me, If obviously prefer Feyenoord to win the CL over the League. EL too.

In the end, I would blow up de Kuip if it meant Holland winning the world cup.

Jacob

We will win the CL. I said this when we looked the worse under Mourinho, looking like a better bet now even.

For me, winning the Champions League is less credible if you haven't also won your domestic league. I know there are plenty who disagree and I respect their opinions but for me, you can still fluke your way to a cup win in the Champions League a la Liverpool in 05 but league tables don't lie.

If you're not the best side in your own country, you can't be the best in Europe.
Very, very true.

Steerpike

Definitely the Premier League for me. You can't plausibly claim to be the best in Europe if you're demonstrably not even the best in your own league.

The title 'Champions League' is a misnomer. It's a cup competition, somewhat similar to the World Cup in structure. Winning a cup competition is great, but it doesn't mean you're the best in the same way that winning a league does.

Josh 76

The only two trophies that matter in football today is the domestic league and Champions league. (For big clubs).

Utd have 20 domestic titles but only 3 champions league trophies. That is very poor for a club like Utd. I would take wining 2 champions leagues in next 5 years over not winning the Premier league for next 5 years.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
In the immortal words of the banner massimo ambrosini lifted up to the heavens after athens "stick the league up your arse"

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
In the immortal words of the banner massimo ambrosini lifted up to the heavens after athens "stick the league up your arse"
Had to google that - a point well made.

Even took the banner with him to the parade :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Had to google that - a point well made.

Even took the banner with him to the parade :lol:
It was passed to him by fans. He made the glorious decision to pick it up :lol:

Iirc reality is he didn't actually know what was written on it and once it was pointed out to him he put it down (because it was in bad taste, what with the swear word). But this is one case were we pretend he knew what he was doing and wasn't just blind drunk :lol:

diarm

The only two trophies that matter in football today is the domestic league and Champions league. (For big clubs).

Utd have 20 domestic titles but only 3 champions league trophies. That is very poor for a club like Utd. I would take wining 2 champions leagues in next 5 years over not winning the Premier league for next 5 years.
I reckon most people would take that deal...

Bwuk

The league.

The best team always wins the league. Champions league is knock out football, neither Liverpool nor Madrid from last seasons final won their league, it wasn’t a clash of champions.

Orange Tree

It's usually CL, but this year, winning PL would be sweeter with Liverpool having such a huge lead.

Jev

The two Champions League wins are the two moments that really stand out in my memory of being a United fan. Champions League is special.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
CL, but not by a huge margin. If we'd won the league recently, then the margin would be pretty big. There's multiple domestic league winners across Europe, but there's only one CL winner.

A-man

League titel comes from stability and over a season. Even though CL trophy is bigger, I prefer a PL title because that means things are sorted out, team must have been playing well over a season and be in harmony. United need to get back to that and to win the PL title at least 2-3 times per decade.

OldTrevil

PL for me, as a fan of football winning the league involves more great matches to enjoy.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
Normally if we haven't won the league for a while I would prefer to win the league. I've never really taken CL winners seriously if they aren't at least taking their domestic league down to the wire and winning it quite often in the surrounding seasons.
L.
That's why Liverpools last CL title feels a bit phony to me. If you haven't proven yourself to be the best in your own country you dont really deserve the title of being European Champions.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
CL, for a club of our size and success to have only won it three times is criminal.
And if were being really honest the Football Gods were on your side for you to have more than one - A freak last two mins against Bayern in a game which you were clearr 2nd best. Then JT slipping on the penalty. Btw. Thats not inteded as a dig at Utd. Chelsea are my team and along with an astonishing never say die attitude in thier run that year, they had luck on thier side too. That luck was due after several years of bad luck in the CL.