Would you rather win the Premier League or the Champions League?

Would you rather win the PL or CL?

• Total voters

Minimalist

PL is the bread and butter. You don't win that, I don't care if you win the CL. Some obviously disagree with this but just my view of it.

PL means more to me from an objective perspective. There's no lucky PL champions.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Surprising voting pattern so far, but it's early doors.

Non UK fans proportionally caring more about the PL than the UK fans do. Wouldn't have seen that coming!

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Voting results are all over the place largely due to different demographics of United fans.

For me, Champions League is the pinnacle of football. Last 2 CL Final losses still sting, so it would be great if we can get to four.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
PL is the bread and butter. You don't win that, I don't care if you win the CL. Some obviously disagree with this but just my view of it.

PL means more to me from an objective perspective. There's no lucky PL champions.
I really want to agree with this statement but then it blows my whole 'Liverpool would be the luckiest PL winners in history' theory out of the window.

Minimalist

I really want to agree with this statement but then it blows my whole 'Liverpool would be the luckiest PL winners in history' theory out of the window.
:lol: True.

I'm afraid if Liverpool keep going with their current ratio of wins, there will be very little luck about it. Hopefully it doesn't.

Skills

Snitch
I can't be the only one who gets more joy out of winning a cup. By the time you win a league title its almost a bit anticlimactic and you're more relieved.

Winning a cup after an intense 90 minutes of football is just pure euphoria.

Cloud7

Voting results are all over the place largely due to different demographics of United fans.

For me, Champions League is the pinnacle of football. Last 2 CL Final losses still sting, so it would be great if we can get to four.
This is far more interesting than a cut and dry “CL or PL” poll. Really looking forward to seeing what the results are in a few days.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I can't be the only one who gets more joy out of winning a cup. By the time you win a league title its almost a bit anticlimactic and you're more relieved.

Winning a cup after an intense 90 minutes of football is just pure euphoria.
In general terms yes, the feelings are different. It's about that one day/match when winning a cup and you buzz your tits off, the high is higher. League is more a feeling of satisfaction/contentment. I think the league feeling can last longer vs. a cup win as of course there's less comedown, and which is better overall is influenced by which cup it is.

As we're specifically talking CL here, I think one factor that might be in play for lots of United fans is that a lot of us on here have only seen us win the CL the same season that we also won the league. In those seasons the CL has been that big one night after an already excellent season. We have of course seen plenty of league titles in seasons we didn't win the CL too. For those not born before '68, we've never witnessed a CL win but no league in the same season. Might need to experience all of the possibilities to really know which we like best. Even then, other things can come into play such as time since we last won either trophy.

Green_Red

Nothing to do with thinking one is bigger or better than the other, just think we deserve to have won it more than three times. Would love another two.

Eriku

Premier League.

The CL is bigger and carry more prestige, but the PL is more important. You got to be the best in your own backyard.
Seconded. The league is also a marathon, it says more about your squad than if they’ve shown up in glitzy cup ties.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
A few years back I would've said CL for sure, but now I'm torn. CL is more prestigious but it can be won by a fluke (let's face it, if we're going to win in the next couple of years, it would probably be out of sheer luck), PL title would mean that our team is finally back to normal — as in best in the country and one of the best in the world.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Pl all the way. You can't claim to be the best in Europe if you aren't the best in your country. Also how does beating a bunch of teams who didn't win their leagues make you the best in Europe?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
You can’t fluke a league.

PL all the way. Can you really say you’re the kings of Europe if you can’t win your own league?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
CL - we need at least 3 more of them to take us up to an elite tally that is supposed to be representative of a club of our stature.

We're miles behind on the count. As long as no English side is matching our league tally, it's the #1 priority, although, our first PL win post-Fergie, will be something truly special.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
CL is a glorified cup competition with music and over the top hype. Don't believe the hype or casuals.

Rather win PL. Nothing beats a proper title race.

Solve this debate by kicking out teams that didn't win their league the previous season. Then you won't have entitled fans of teams that are perennial 4th place finishers saying CL > PL. The discussion would be moot because you'd need the PL to even start that conversation.
This all day long. Nothing compares with being Champions of England, i.e. PL winners, is the pinnacle of club football for me (although you could say that I can't compare because City have never won the CL).

I'd take the CL more seriously if the structure of the CL was changed. Make it champions only and a proper cup knock-out rather than an anti-competitive money trough for the established elite from the bigger countries. As it is, I'm a bit disappointed by the poll results for UK-based fans. Some of it might be the entitled fans of the "top 4" that you mention, but also United fans who place a premium on overtaking Liverpool's European Cup total I suppose.

Reactions: Penna

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This all day long. Nothing compares with being Champions of England, i.e. PL winners, is the pinnacle of club football for me (although you could say that I can't compare because City have never won the CL).

I'd take the CL more seriously if the structure of the CL was changed. Make it champions only and a proper cup knock-out rather than an anti-competitive money trough for the established elite from the bigger countries. As it is, I'm a bit disappointed by the poll results for UK-based fans. Some of it might be the entitled fans of the "top 4" that you mention, but also United fans who place a premium on overtaking Liverpool's European Cup total I suppose.
I'm ok with some United fans thinking the CL > PL. Personal preference and all.

I would be mortified at us taking the Madrid approach, which is phone it in for entire league campaigns, and just concentrate on the CL. At that point you're just a great cup team.

RedCurry

I want us to win a premier league again, then CL will be higher for me. You can't go too long without league title and still consider yourself a big team.

Zlatattack

Premier league. Nobody starts the season with the expectation of winning the CL. At Manchester United we start every season with the expectation of winning the Premier league. Well we did under Sir Alex and we want that same standard back.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Ordinarily i would say Champions League. But winning the league is something we did every fecking year and it has been way too fecking long since we last did that.

We need to topple City and Liverpool domestically. That would mean more to me then a few flukey results away from home in a knock out cup.

sugar_kane

I’d love if we won the champions league in spectacular fashion this season to overshadow the scouse media cock wringing when they break their title drought

PaulScholes99

Right now in our situation i would take the league. The best case that could happen this year is City winning the league in front of Liverpool. Horrible scenario. That the only other "really" possible case is still far far more worse says a lot.

I am happy seeing City lose the league. But i can't even be happy about that when it means Liverpool wins the league. So, being happy that City loses the league, that Liverpool bottles it again AND that we are back in business would mean more to me than winning the CL. Cl can also be a lot of luck (e.g. Chelsea), league not really (you could argue that Leicester had a lot of luck though).

Normally CL, still too spoiled with league titles from Fergie. Good memories...

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
So if United lucked their way to win a Champions League instead of going absolutely mental you'd be emotionless due to not being the best team in Europe? Who gives a shit if they're the best or not? The game is about winning, not about being perceived as the best.

When we won the Euros the whole country blew up and every single person was on the street going mad in what was the biggest party I'll ever see, I guess everyone should have stayed at home disappointed that we weren't the best team in the tournament.

I'll really never understand this point of view, the only league where so many fans would argue they'd prefer to win it over the Champions League is the Premier League.

Wheato

Winning the champions league was one of the best few days of my life. Nothing in football really comes close to that joy and celebration of being the very best club side on the planet. Yeah, I know it's only Europe, but it does mean your the best. The PL is somewhat of a formality most of the time. And we have had seasons where it goes right down to the wire, but playing the CL in front of 100,000 fans, against the best players in the World. It doesn't get any better when you win under those circumstances. The World is watching.

Reactions: Penna

Negan

Only Liverpool fans would say the Premier League.

Cloud7

So if United lucked their way to win a Champions League instead of going absolutely mental you'd be emotionless due to not being the best team in Europe? Who gives a shit if they're the best or not? The game is about winning, not about being perceived as the best.

When we won the Euros the whole country blew up and every single person was on the street going mad in what was the biggest party I'll ever see, I guess everyone should have stayed at home disappointed that we weren't the best team in the tournament.

I'll really never understand this point of view, the only league where so many fans would argue they'd prefer to win it over the Champions League is the Premier League.
I think United fans have created this facade around us where the PL matters more than the CL as a mental defense to justify the club’s relative underperformance in Europe, especially relative to how good we’ve been domestically.

Knocked out of the CL? “Well it doesn’t matter, the PL is more important anyway”. For what it’s worth I interact with a lot of football fans of a multitude of different clubs, and there’s not a single one who would prefer a league title to a CL win.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Five years ago I would have said CL, hopefully in 5 years time I would say the same. We really should have won it more than three times.

Right now I'm more concerned about getting back on top domestically though and actually being in a proper nail-biting run in. Winning the CL while in a "make Top 4" scrap would feel like a fluke and, stat aside, just marginally better than winning the Europa League.

It's rather empty if you are getting bummed at home in the league. If you are there or thereabouts and marginally miss out (which was our usual when not winning the PL) then clearly the CL.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Five years ago I would have said CL, hopefully in 5 years time I would say the same. We really should have won it more than three times.

Right now I'm more concerned about getting back on top domestically though and actually being in a proper nail-biting run in. Winning the CL while in a "make Top 4" scrap would feel like a fluke and, stat aside, just marginally better than winning the Europa League.

It's rather empty if you are getting bummed at home in the league.
Is it though? Ask Chelsea fans how they felt about 2011/2012.

Is there a single Chelsea fan that cares they weren't the best team in Europe? If anything it probably felt better winning it that way.