Would you rather win the Premier League or the Champions League?

Would you rather win the PL or CL?

• Total voters

Alemar

CL is more high profile and better from financial standpoint, so it's better to opt for CL. Besides, we have won it only 2 times

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Is it though? Ask Chelsea fans how they felt about 2011/2012.

Is there a single Chelsea fan that cares they weren't the best team in Europe? If anything it probably felt better winning it that way.
Bit different isn't it? Only 8 years before that they would have never dreamed of winning the CL and were coming off a a decent PL run were they either won or challenged. Getting their first CL would have been absolute priority and rightly so.

Furthermore, they were on the wane with many stalwarts on their last legs, sort of a last hurrah. Worked wonders for them, got them Hazard to sign! Remove him from the picture and they would have been in Top 4 dogfights ever since.

I'm pretty sure any Liverpool fan would bite your hand off for the PL ahead of the CL, absolutely no two ways about it..

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Bit different isn't it? Only 8 years before that they would have never dreamed of winning the CL and were coming off a a decent PL run were they either won or challenged. Getting their first CL would have been absolute priority and rightly so.

Furthermore, they were on the wane with many stalwarts on their last legs, sort of a last hurrah. Worked wonders for them, got them Hazard to sign! Remove him from the picture and they would have been in Top 4 dogfights ever since.

I'm pretty sure any Liverpool fan would bite your hand off for the PL ahead of the CL, absolutely no two ways about it..
Liverpool are the exception where I can understand the fans prefering the Premier League over the Champions League. For pretty much every other club it should be a fairly easy choice imo.

stepic

Pretty sure we have a variation of this thread once every 6 months or so

I’d take CL because we have underachieved historically.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Premier league for me. It shows consistency and generally club prioritizes UCL if they are consistent enough in the league.

I wouldn't want to win the UCL the way chelsea did.

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
That's just not true though is it? If it were to happen you'd go absolutely mental.
Given the circumstances, yes. They weren't qualifying for it and winning it was the only way to do it but again, it doesn't really show the real quality. Finishing 6th in the league and winning the CL? I am on the edge tbh. I would take it this year btw

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
So if United lucked their way to win a Champions League instead of going absolutely mental you'd be emotionless due to not being the best team in Europe? Who gives a shit if they're the best or not? The game is about winning, not about being perceived as the best.

When we won the Euros the whole country blew up and every single person was on the street going mad in what was the biggest party I'll ever see, I guess everyone should have stayed at home disappointed that we weren't the best team in the tournament.

I'll really never understand this point of view, the only league where so many fans would argue they'd prefer to win it over the Champions League is the Premier League.
I'm happy when we win a Carling Cup! I was over the moon when we won a FA Cup with LVG.

My happiness has nothing to do with how I view the trophy as a measure of the team's merits.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
CL. You can't fluke but you can buy a league title. PSG, CITY, still dreaming of that elusive CL whilst racking up their league titles.

And I'd say usually the team with the best and most experienced players do win the CL nowadays. Look at Milan, Barca and now Real who have won it 3 times back to back and 4 in 5 years. 'Lucky' so many times heh heh heh.

The luck thing is there but it is nowhere as big a factor as redcafe makes it seem like because we have a chip on our shoulder (winning it 3 times is not enough for a club as ours as Fergie has said, with the last one dating back more than 10 years ago = yeah you need alot of luck).

Last edited:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I'm happy when we win a Carling Cup! I was over the moon when we won a FA Cup with LVG.

My happiness has nothing to do with how I view the trophy as a measure of the team's merits.
Nobody’s asking you which one measures the team’s merits better. They’re asking you which one you’d prefer to win... as in, which one would make you happier.

Cloud7

Pl for me. Though interesting to see that it seems like a 40-60 split in favor of the CL in both categories
Think that’s always how it goes everytime one of these polls pop up. CL always wins by a similar-ish margin, if memory serves.

Ekeke

I would prefer the champions league without being weak in the league to make it happen. Top 2-3 and CL win

quackattack

Assuming it is what it is I would say CL, but if we are talking about finishing ahead of liverpool this season I would obviously go with PL.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
The Premier League.

I find it more 'worth it'. There's more games to play and you have to be more consistent to win it. I find with the Champions League you need all a lot of luck with the draws and stuff and the campaign isn't as long as the domestic league.

Moonwalker

Wanted to start this thread for a while now, finally did it after a discussion regarding this broke in the "Would you accept finishing fifth if no title for Lpool" thread.

Being a glory-hunting fan with no ties to Manchester or England, this is unfathomable for me, given that CL is widely regarded as the pinnacle of club football, but I have seen many posters over the years express different views.

Of course, there is the "league vs cup competition" component of it, with more consistency needed to win a league competition, but I also feel that there is the factor of one's surroundings. What I mean by this is that an United fan from England can gloat over Liverpool fans for beating them to the PL title on a day-to-day basis while it is unlikely that he has too many Real Madrid/Bayern/Juventus/whatever fans in his immediate surroundings...

So, my question to the CAF is: would you rather be champions of England or Europe and why?

Mods, I would really appreciate if you could add a four-choice poll that would contain one's location (binary - England or not) and choice - I am from England and would rather win the PL; I am not from England and would rather win the PL, etc.
Yeah, but that completely overlooks the fact that such gloating over rival fans needn't be regarding a competition in which both clubs participated that year. When Gerrard puts his hand in the air to remind United fans of the number of CL trophies his club can boast of, he doesn't really care if Liverpool or Barcelona were the ones who knocked United out. In terms of inter-personal communication, gloating, banter, taunting etc, both competitions can be utilized, and have been for yonks.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Nobody’s asking you which one measures the team’s merits better. They’re asking you which one you’d prefer to win... as in, which one would make you happier.
True. Personally I'd prefer the trophy which is the best indicator of quality. Some prefer the trophy that comes with moving music at the beginning of every game :D

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The poll looks like it's going to be used for a research.

PL for me and I live on the internet.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Champions League. It’s the most prestigious club trophy on planet and the seasons fans will remember forever are those in which you win European trophy. All people remember about 1968 is that United won EC not that City won the league.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Huh? That’s an odd thing to say
The PL is shit. No idea why we cared so much all these years. I understand the CL being more important to many due to the (grossly overrated) glory but not even close? You guys spend all your time following the league and it comes across as the FA cup in comparison to the CL for many.

SAFMUTD

The UCL all the way, the greatest moments of our history are the cups won in 1999 and 2008. We have won the league 20 times, UCL is way more preticious.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Only Liverpool fans would say the Premier League.
Right now? Yes to he league. 5 cups is of course head and shoulders above everyone else so getting a league would be the one right now

Tarrou

CL

If we hadn't won the league for a long long time I'd probably pick the PL

Anak Portal

Champions League, because it's more prestigious and also, without doubt, the euphoria when you win the CL will be a different sensation, just like heaven.
Like Chelsea had a CL trophy in 2011/2012 it's more wow sensation thoughtfully IMO

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Champions League and its not even close. Champions of Europe supercedes champions of England. Clubs like City and PSG still arent respected on the continent because of ther failure to win this trophy. Look at the shameless things PSG has done to the market just to be wiithin half a chance. When you win Champions League you get prestige on the continent and requires a whole different mentality to claim this trophy. Clubs without champions league have an inferiority to complex to the multiple winners.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Champions League and its not even close. Champions of Europe supercedes champions of England. Clubs like City and PSG still arent respected on the continent because of ther failure to win this trophy. Look at the shameless things PSG has done to the market just to be wiithin half a chance. When you win Champions League you get prestige on the continent and requires a whole different mentality to claim this trophy. Clubs without champions league have an inferiority to complex to the multiple winners.
What shameless thing did they do?

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
I dont know how this is even a question. There is a reason why you have 19/20 league titles and only 3 in the CL. They are obviously much harder to win and should be valued higher. To win the PL you have to beat a few big PL clubs. To win the CL you need to beat the same clubs plus the european giants.

Mcking

Champions league for me. The UCL is a trophy that comes once or twice in years. Being the best in your league won't guarantee winning it unlike the PL. Nothing beats a last minute winner in a CL final or an intense penalty shoot-out victory, or even the final whistle in a UCL final victory for that matter.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
For now CL as we haven't won enough CLs.

For me CL is worth more when it comes along with winning PL, which makes the club the best in Europe without any doubt.

Revan

Assumptionman
UCL and it ain't even close to me. Would definitely take one UCL over 2 EPL.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm ok with some United fans thinking the CL > PL. Personal preference and all.

I would be mortified at us taking the Madrid approach, which is phone it in for entire league campaigns, and just concentrate on the CL. At that point you're just a great cup team.
Would have given a kidney if we become like Real Madrid. More trophies (including the important ones) than any other club, playing some of the greatest ever players for the team, being able to steal top players from clubs of 'equal' greatness, and being the undisputed No. 1 football team in the world.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Premier league. Nobody starts the season with the expectation of winning the CL. At Manchester United we start every season with the expectation of winning the Premier league. Well we did under Sir Alex and we want that same standard back.
I think you'd find Real Madrid definitely start the season expecting the CL.