Would you sack LVG if it meant we could get Guardiola at the end of the season?

Would you sack LVG if it meant we could get Guardiola at the end of the season?

• Total voters

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Yes, but only if Pep joining United was a certainty (like the arrangement Bayern had with him, before Heyneckes' contract wasn't renewed). I'd feel compelled to let Van Gaal go just from a qualitative standpoint, cruel and machiavellian as that may sound. Same goes for Ancelotti. Strictly professional decision mind, but I feel Guardiola and Ancelotti could take us to a level Louis can't, they both have won titles more recently, and have evidenced the ability to take over clubs in relative transition, especially when there's money to spare.
I also would sack him. Guardiola is a very special coach. It must be exciting to see what he imagines for his next team. I see that you include Ancelotti, maybe he will go to Bayern if Guardiola leaves

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
Not a fan of posession football so don't want Guardiola. And it'd be quite a cnutish thing to do on our part.

hobbers

Nope. Don't see any reason why Pep would be able to instantly do a better job than Van Gaal is doing with this squad. And I don't think we'd get more entertaining football either since their philosophies are very similar. As it is under LVG, the defence has improved massively. We finally have a competent set of midfielders. Bit by bit the pieces are falling into place. Provided we sustain a title challenge right to the end of the season I'd want LVG to get his third year here.

In any case I think Pep will renew with Bayern for at least another year, which would fit our time line with Louis perfectly. Whether going for Pep over Giggs or Ancelotti would be the right call at that point is another question.

Keenst

Guardiola is not a miracle worker. He would have the same squad and he would need to spend considerable time trying to figure out how to best improve us. Van Gaal has had that time and we are improving. He was unlucky with Di Maria but he will be in for similar kinds of players when he gets the chance. With what we have got I don't see how Pep could do much better.

Mr Smith

They are very, very different in terms of implementation given that Cruyff and Van Gaal have very different ideologies when it comes to totaalveotbal.

Wut? Sorry but I feel compelled to post this emoticon for the first time: :houllier:

2008/ 2009: Barcelona had the best defensive record in the entire league, and conceded 1 goal per game in Europe.
2009/ 2010: Barcelona had the best defensive record in the entire league, and conceded 0.83 goals per game in Europe.
2010/ 2011: Barcelona had the best defensive record in the entire league, and conceded 0.75 goals per game in Europe.
2011/ 2012: Barcelona had the 2nd best defensive record in the entire league, and conceded 0.83 goals per game in Europe.

2013/ 2014: Bayern Munich had the best defensive record in the entire league, and conceded 1.08 goals per game in Europe.
2014/ 2015: Bayern Munich had the best defensive record in the entire league, and conceded 1.08 goals per game in Europe.
2015/ 2016: Bayern Munich have the best defensive record in the entire league, and have conceded 0.75 goals per game in Europe.

United is currently conceding 1 goal per game in Europe. The caveat here is that for Europe, Guadriola's stats include latter stages of the competition (semi-finals and onwards - vs Barcelona, Real Madrid, Internazionale which inflate the numbers because he never finished outside of the Top 4 in Europe), meaning much stronger opposition in the deep end of the competition. Barring anomalies, that's a brilliant defensive record for a coach that employs very attacking tactics as opposed to setting up in a cagey manner.
Point taken, I stand corrected. To be fair though, I didn't say they were poor defensively, more that I felt they were suspect. I've never watched Bayern or Barca games regularly, but when I've watched them in the Champions League I always get nervous for them defensively. Guardiola sides tend to play with split centre backs (the centre backs will move almost into fullback positions when the keeper has the ball in order to stretch the play and provide options) and it's always looked incredibly dangerous to me; it certainly requires very adept ball-playing defenders.

That said, Bayern and Barca in particular dominated league games so much under Guardiola that it's hardly surprising their records are so good; teams generally only get one clear cut chance against them.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I'd like to say no because I think it's a pretty unethical way to behave, but Pep is my dream manager. I think he'd provide continuity with the work already done by Van Gaal, but has the flexibility to scale much greater heights. He's showed his willingness to try new approaches in Munich. Pep plus United puts any player in the world within our reach.

NK86

Sacking would be kind of a harsh word but I would replace him with Pep in a heartbeat. One of the best managers around is available and if we don't go for him, we will be making the same mistake when SAF was retiring.

NK86

Not if LvG reach a top 3 position, then we can buy the last pieces of the puzzle in the summer and he can have a real go for the title.
Don't like the thought of sacking LvG just because everyones favourite Guardiola is available, it would be a lack of respect imo.
What happens a year down the line when LVG retires and Pep joins his next venture? We go with Giggs?

Spock

I don't like the question.

We should be focusing our mental energy on what the current manager and players can do to continue the improvement in our play and accomplish more this season than last season, setting us up nicely for a treble run next season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Anyway, it seems Guardiola nis going to renew for a year.

kr0nix

Does this thread have anything to do with a high profile manager like say, Klopp, joining a direct rival recently?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
No, LVG has got us top four last year, looking like a title challenge this year.

Plus feck the lot of you I would love to have Giggs as manager.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Yes. Not that I think LVG is all that bad but that would stop Giggs from becoming the next manager.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Guardiola at the moment is a much more attacking manager than van Gaal at the moment. You can see that from the semi-final in the CL against Barca last season when he went 3v3 at the back vs Messi, Suarez and Neymar.
It's a little easier when you have the likes of Robben, Muller, Ribery, Lewandowski, Costa and the likes as your attacking options. We clearly don't have the squad as of right now to play very attacking football.
We have issues with plan A while plan B is kick it long to Fellaini.
Except it isn't and hasn't been for several months, why do people keep insisting and telling themselves this is what happens when Fellaini comes on?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
No, because doing so would be so cnutish thing to do,

you can sack a manager for failing to perform, but sacking him early (while attaining his target) just for the poshier manager is just cnutish.

What about giving time? support your manager? united way? and you sack your manager just because someone new is in town?

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I think Guardiola will also play the possession based game - very similar to LVG's system.
So, if the possession based game is not your thing, Guardiola isn't going to be what you want to see.
If you want to see us play like Bayern, it's not the manager which needs changing - its the players.

It is strange that some people who are bored of LVG's system, want Guardiola as a successor.
Amen, couldn't agree more.

It's true that Ferguson knew the PL like the back of his hand and that helped him a lot to maintain a tittle winning side without someone like Ronaldo in it. He also was the most prominent figure in the club, he had earned the right to have absolute freedom and power to make any decision. I believe these factors have led some of our fans to the conclusion that a manager is - or should be - some kind of a miracle worker, that he can implement things like flair and good decision making.

Bayern, right now, have two of the best FBs in the world (imo Alaba is the best LB around and Lahm is one of the best German players ever) who can defend superbly but also provide width in the attacking half and the necessary threat which can stretch defenses with their quality crosses. Lewandowski with his body strength is a nightmare for any opposition CB while Muller always gives you the impression that he can hold onto the ball and find pockets of space even if the other team has 10 players closing him down. And, of course, they have wingers who can make things happen on their own, they usually finish their games with 10 dribbles or more when we hardly ever see one of our players getting past his man.

It's one thing not to like possession football and prefer a more direct style and another to demonize the manager because he's the easiest target when things go wrong and because it's more convenient when you have one and only person to whom you can place all the blame. No one doubts that Pep is one of the best managers in football but you have to be blind not to see the gap in quality between their side and ours.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Amen, couldn't agree more.

It's true that Ferguson knew the PL like the back of his hand and that helped him a lot to maintain a tittle winning side without someone like Ronaldo in it. He also was the most prominent figure in the club, he had earned the right to have absolute freedom and power to make any decision. I believe these factors have led some of our fans to the conclusion that a manager is - or should be - some kind of a miracle worker, that he can implement things like flair and good decision making.

Bayern, right now, have two of the best FBs in the world (imo Alaba is the best LB around and Lahm is one of the best German players ever) who can defend superbly but also provide width in the attacking half and the necessary threat which can stretch defenses with their quality crosses. Lewandowski with his body strength is a nightmare for any opposition CB while Muller always gives you the impression that he can hold onto the ball and find pockets of space even if the other team has 10 players closing him down. And, of course, they have wingers who can make things happen on their own, they usually finish their games with 10 dribbles or more when we hardly ever see one of our players getting past his man.

It's one thing not to like possession football and prefer a more direct style and another to demonize the manager because he's the easiest target when things go wrong and because it's more convenient when you have one and only person to whom you can place all the blame. No one doubts that Pep is one of the best managers in football but you have to be blind not to see the gap in quality between their side and ours.
One hell of a gap, it's so big you can't even call it a gap

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Yes, but only if Pep joining United was a certainty (like the arrangement Bayern had with him, before Heyneckes' contract wasn't renewed). I'd feel compelled to let Van Gaal go just from a qualitative standpoint, cruel and machiavellian as that may sound. Same goes for Ancelotti. Strictly professional decision mind, but I feel Guardiola and Ancelotti could take us to a level Louis can't, they both have won titles more recently, and have evidenced the ability to take over clubs in relative transition, especially when there's money to spare.
Agree with gist of your post but not sure I'd rate Ancelloti within the same class as Guardiola.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'd take Guardiola because it's almost a guarantee that we will be able to attract world class players that everybody wants. I think that's one thing we struggle at currently.
But Van Gaal deserves one more year if he has a successful season.

KM

I can't really explain that tbf. He has won a lot of trophies everywhere but I just don't see him in the same class as Fergie, Guardiola, Mourinho, Klopp etc

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Honestly, no. If Pep is prepared to wait then great he'd be first choice but I'd let Van Gaal finish what he started first.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I would try to sign LVG as a director of football and Guardiola as the coach..

Loublaze

ATLien
I can't really explain that tbf. He has won a lot of trophies everywhere but I just don't see him in the same class as Fergie, Guardiola, Mourinho, Klopp etc
You can't be serious! Maybe its his personality? Ancelloti is a laid back manager, but he's definitely in the same class as the ones you've mentioned, definitely better than Klopp! Nothing to do with Klopp being Liverpool manager btw

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Three league titles from a guy who's managed AC Milan (when they were much better than they are now), Chelsea, PSG (with the resources they've got) and Real Madrid with the quality of players available there isn't a good enough league record in my eyes. I firmly believe Real Madrid should have won La Liga at least once during his tenure there. Three Champions League wins on the other hand is mightily impressive. However, Guardiola, Mourinho, Ferguson and van Gaal in the past have proven they can combine excellent Champions League campaigns with an excellent League campaign. With Ancelotti, you'll do well in the Champions League, but not as well in the League or vice versa.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Id say his 4(?) UCL titles puts him ahead of Klopp.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I would try to sign LVG as a director of football and Guardiola as the coach..
That went horrifically badly at Ajax a decade ago when Ronald Koeman was the manager there. What might be different if the situation was repeated?

KM

Id say his 4(?) UCL titles puts him ahead of Klopp.
Well yeah logically it should but as I said there's no proper explanation as to why I don't rate him so much.

Question234

I think Guardiola will also play the possession based game - very similar to LVG's system.
So, if the possession based game is not your thing, Guardiola isn't going to be what you want to see.
If you want to see us play like Bayern, it's not the manager which needs changing - its the players.

It is strange that some people who are bored of LVG's system, want Guardiola as a successor.
Have you even watched guardiola's teams play? They are the most attacking and far more direct than LVG's. Shit tons more movement off the ball as well.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That went horrifically badly at Ajax a decade ago when Ronald Koeman was the manager there. What might be different if the situation was repeated?
The board was divided from the beginning, he, Koeman and Cruyff weren't on good terms and it was 10 years ago.