Would you sack LVG if it meant we could get Guardiola at the end of the season?

Would you sack LVG if it meant we could get Guardiola at the end of the season?

• Total voters

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
LVG would have to do a Moyes to lose his job. No way would we fire him if he finishes in the top four again.
If Pep becomes available, you'd do anything to get him. Has nothing to do with sacking him but then again, LVG doesnt have the results or trophies to make a claim to stay for longer

InfiniteBoredom

Doing well by your standards but not for the 99% of us.

Southampton did the same thing by sacking Nigel Adkins for Pochetiino and that turned out pretty well. I'm sure there's a dozen other examples too.

If we don't go for Pep then that leaves the door for City or Chelsea potentially and that would be criminal.
Except I would argue that Van Gaal is not doing well, particularly when you look at how much money he has had at this disposal. To have been eliminated early from the league cup two years in a row along with the CL group stages this year, and to be trailing Leicester is particularly damning.
Doing well? fecking hell.
Look at the date of the post.

Rooney24

Thread is over a month old though. Sentiment has swung heavily in the other direction since then.
Absolutely. Its swung massively. When I reposted this morning it was something like 56% No and 44% yes.

Now its 79% yes, 21% No.

Speaks volumes.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If Pep becomes available, you'd do anything to get him. Has nothing to do with sacking him but then again, LVG doesnt have the results or trophies to make a claim to stay for longer
The Glazers and Ed don't read the caf. It is perfectly reasonable to think that if LVG finishes in the top 3 they will elect to keep him on instead of paying severance to him and a huge sign on bonus to Guardiola.

devil in me

Let LVG finish this season, no point in getting rid right now. We won't do any better with Giggs in charge who is the only person to take us to the end of the season that I can think of. Then do all we can to bring in Pep for next season. Offer him more money than City, more of a transfer budget and anything else he wants. If he's given his word to City and its already done then there's not a lot we can do, but we have to try.

pseudo_canadian

It's probably one of the easiest football hypotheticals I have ever seen - it's a clear as day decision.

Pep is the best there is.

Fully Fledged

Yes, but only if Pep joining United was a certainty (like the arrangement Bayern had with him, before Heyneckes' contract wasn't renewed). I'd feel compelled to let Van Gaal go just from a qualitative standpoint, cruel and machiavellian as that may sound. Same goes for Ancelotti. Strictly professional decision mind, but I feel Guardiola and Ancelotti could take us to a level Louis can't, they both have won titles more recently, and have evidenced the ability to take over clubs in relative transition, especially when there's money to spare.
They will also offer us more than one more year. That is why the board asked LVG to commit to an extension now. If he wont we need to move now when the top managers in the world are available.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Pep and Giggs as his assistant would be a compromise between tradition and obvious need of reformation in pure football matter.

However if LvG manage to win something this season... it may get interesting.

Jaytay

I would dash LVG like he dashed Hernandez. It's like asking would you swap a BMW for a Lamborghini.

prarek

It all depends on the results and where we stand at the end of the season. For now i am not sure.

Winrar

if bayern are getting ancelotti in next season then surely we should do everything we can to secure guardiola?

don't know why I even came here to say this as it seems obvious enough without anyone else pointing it out.

Dante

Average bang
For Ancelotti, yes. For Pep, no.

Look at what Enrique has achieved at Barca. Any squad with that much quality can manage itself. The Bayern team he took over wasn't far behind in terms of ability. I really don't see how he added much value to either side. It's true he's left his mark in terms of playing style, but he didn't exactly make Bayern better, just different. I'd have serious doubts about whether he could raise United 2 or 3 levels. I reckon we'd just end up looking like a shit Bayern.

We need someone who can turn a side's fortunes around and build a squad judiciously. Ancelotti's proven he can do that. Guardiola hasn't.

Devil may care

Securing Pep's signature should be United's #1 priority regardless of anything else going on.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
For Ancelotti, yes. For Pep, no.

Look at what Enrique has achieved at Barca. Any squad with that much quality can manage itself. The Bayern team he took over wasn't far behind in terms of ability. I really don't see how he added much value to either side. It's true he's left his mark in terms of playing style, but he didn't exactly make Bayern better, just different. I'd have serious doubts about whether he could raise United 2 or 3 levels. I reckon we'd just end up looking like a shit Bayern.

We need someone who can turn a side's fortunes around and build a squad judiciously. Ancelotti's proven he can do that. Guardiola hasn't.
But Pep didn't just walk into a squad that was ready to go at Barca. He made major changes to get them where they eventually got to, and binned most of the massive egos and star-name players in favour of promoting from within. That wasn't just any Barcelona team he had steered to success. It was his Barcelona team.

I'm with you on his job at Bayern. He's kept them going, but I think they could have done better, but he deserves all the credit he gets for the success he achieved at Barca. Many say that anyone could manage that side, but for that side to get where they are, an enormous part of it was down to the stamp that Pep put on that team, in terms of playing style and personnel.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I voted No on the poll.

I didn't know how to vote on that one. Despite being a straight forward ''Yes or No'' question, I found it a little more complicated. LvG seems to have hit a brick wall, so I have no problem with firing him. Unlike most it's the Pep part I'm not so sure about.

The argument for Pep:
He has a lot going for him. He's had a great career as a player, and a greater one as a coach. He's managed two of the biggest clubs in the World and won everything there was to win in a relatively short period of time. He was phenomenal at Barcelona, and has been excellent at Bayern so far.
  1. He's a proven winner. Just getting him would be a statement of intent from the club.
  2. There's no managing job he would find daunting. There's a risk that any manager, besides him and Ancelloti, could be overwhelmed by the job and the level of expectation.
  3. Players respect him. This would not only motivate our current players, but also give us more pull when making bids for top talents. Thiago Alcantra turned us down, when he could have walked into the starting eleven and owned the midfield, for the chance to be a squad player under Pep. If he becomes the manager our offers for players like Neymar and Bale would look a lot more credible.
  4. He plays attacking football.
  5. His possession style is close to what LvG has been playing, so the transition should be relatively easy.

The argument against Pep:
  1. He's only managed Barcelona and Bayern. Both teams were in great shape before he took over, with starting elevens and squads light years ahead of our own. One has to question how much of the success was down to the quality of squads at his disposal and how much was his. His career so far seems a bit like Floyd Mayweather; carefully selected challenges that flatter to decieve.
  2. We need to build a team. It's unchartered territory for him, a position he's not faced with other teams he took over. Is he up to it?
  3. He's a short term appointment, as he seems to always need new challenges.
  4. This one is a matter of taste, and it's going to be controversial. Call me a dinosaur, but I'm not a fan of possession football. I've been used to a certain brand of football for so long, and I'm not sure I would enjoy watching us pass, pass, pass and then pass some more for the years to come. I don't want to see us dominate every team that we play, I want to see us struggle sometimes, then come through by sheer determination and grit, creating our luck like we did in Barcelona '99. I want to see us make crazy comebacks; basically I want us to keep being us, and I don't think he would deliver that.

I see he's the majority's favorite, but it's really not such an open and shut case. I think we should weigh all of our options carefully to make sure the next on is ''The Right One''.

Sb_16

How can 3 years be a short-term appointment now-a-days?

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
How can 3 years be a short-term appointment now-a-days?
Good point.

It's shorter than a player cycle. It means he would leave players behind to his successor, and seeing as we're building a team it wouldn't be enough for a coach to reap full benefits from the squad he's built and the methods hes implemented. Just as the players are getting comfortable with the methods, in comes a new coach who may want to change things drastically.

Guardiola was offered extensions at both Barca and Bayern, which he turned down, so it could be said he leaves teams prematurely.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Who knows what will happen by the end of the season? Maybe the players will become like the Ajax total footballers of the 1990's and suddenly figure out what runs to make, where to position themselves, and how to proactively open up defences, playing attractive football in the process. Maybe we will get even worse going forward, and we may become even worse to watch.

I wouldn't just sack van Gaal regardless of what happens just because Pep becomes available. Such questions make the stupid assumption that whatever happens in the present is guaranteed to happen in the future, and this is something that I never do.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
You better get him before he goes to Dagenham on Harry Redknapp's instructions.

Castia

Sack him regardless, there at least 3 people without a club who will do a better job than him.

foolsgold

i don't get the Guardiola love fest at all; can't say I've found any of his teams all that great to watch.

Litch

Sack him yes, but for 'Pep on tour, coming to a big club near you'? Sorry don't get the sense he's gonna stay anywhere for more than 2 seasons. I'm fed up of the shuffling of the same pack of managers looking to put big clubs on their CV. I'm a romantic but nothing better than home grown (don't have to be British) talent winning things, rather than attempts to buy ready made. Saying that, I'd have Jose over pep any day....