Would you sack LVG if it meant we could get Guardiola at the end of the season?

Would you sack LVG if it meant we could get Guardiola at the end of the season?

• Total voters

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Im genuinely surprised at how many people are answering "no" to this one. I am always an advocate of continuity, longevity, giving managers time etc, but for me it is a no-brainer.

LVG is an intelligent man - he has said so himself more than once. I would hope and expect that he would be the first person to understand that with him approaching retirement anyway, the club needs to look for the longer term and plan for life after Louis, and that if one of the best managers in the world happens to be available one year "too early" for us, then it is in the clubs best interests to secure that manager, and in doing so secure the longer term success of the club.

It isnt as though we would be kicking LVG out to beg on the streets, cap-in-hand. He is planning to retire soon anyway and would depart on amicable terms with the club and the fans. Everyone would appreciate the work he had done and wish him a long and happy retirement.

I say all this and just the other day I was criticising Pep in his thread in the football forum. I remain not 100% convinced by him, but he still represents one of the best options for us going forwards.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
One of the reasons I might say yes would be the respect Guardiola has from the best current footballers.. he's got great connections and could get us access to some serious talent. Players want to work with him.

I also think he's more obsessive about technically gifted footballers than LVG is.. someone like Rooney wouldn't last a second under Pep, he demands the best. So theres a few reasons why I'd want him.. I'm still keen to see how he fares against the better sides in the CL this year.

Sam

We'd be mental not too in all honesty. And thats without even considering the possibility of him going to City instead.

5 years of Pep >> 1 extra year of LVG

NK86

You want to base it on achievements? Has Guardiola made it to a CL final with Bayern? Has Guardiola ever done a rebuild of a club? Has Guardiola ever won the CL with kids? Has Guardiola won any prize wihthout having the best players?

I think Guardiola is a good manager, he manages to have his players execute a difficult system convincingly, but you can't judge a manager's achievements without looking at the kind of job at hand and at the quality of the players.
Pep has won 2 CL titles so far. How many has LVG won? Pep brought through the likes of Busquets and changed the way Barca played. He made the likes of Iniesta and Xavi central to what he did at Barca and you say he has not achieved anything?

As for the winning with kids comment, what did you even mean by that? He put faith in a lot of youngsters. SAF didn't play the batch of 92 for the sake of it. He played them because they they were damn good. Pep does the same thing.

As for Pep having the best players, that is neither here nor there. He brought in some of the best players himself when he started off at Barca. They dominated the stage like no club before because of the style of play which he implemented. It is not like LVG took a group of below average players to win something.

Pep has never been kicked out of a job like LVG. LVG had Barca in the relegation places and Bayern outside the CL spots. That takes some doing considering the league those teams played in.

NoPace

We'd be mental not too in all honesty. And thats without even considering the possibility of him going to City instead.

Really it's 5 year of Pepe vs 1 year of LVG + 4 years of LVG and/or Manager X (+ Manager Y if X doesn't work out).

I agree it would be insanity to not take Guardiola.

prath92

What makes you think he won't leave in 3 years like he did with Bayern?

I wouldn't be against pep but frankly I would prefer a more long term coach. I doubt pep will hang around for more than 3 years.

NK86

I wouldn't be against pep but frankly I would prefer a more long term coach. I doubt pep will hang around for more than 3 years.
What do you see as "long term"? SAF style long term is not something which is going to football anytime soon - if at all. The best coaches around generally stick for 3-5 years and then they are generally moved on. Maybe we could be the team which Pep is ready to give a fairly long time to. He will have every decision in his hand and will also not be under a DOF like at Bayern or City. He may actually like that.

Moreover, which coach would you prefer to him who would be as good as him and would actually stick around for a decade?

shivab

IMO lvg has done a great job so far. But as much as I appreciate his contribution I don't think he can elevate us to the level Guardiola can. The quality of football, the creative freedom he gives to his players and the kind of players he would attract to the club are a couple of notches above lvg. Ideally we hire pep, giggs learns from him for a couple, leaves united to be the head coach some place else and then comes back to coach united. There is no scenario where either giggs or lvg is a better option than Pep.

prath92

What do you see as "long term"? SAF style long term is not something which is going to football anytime soon - if at all. The best coaches around generally stick for 3-5 years and then they are generally moved on. Maybe we could be the team which Pep is ready to give a fairly long time to. He will have every decision in his hand and will also not be under a DOF like at Bayern or City. He may actually like that.

Moreover, which coach would you prefer to him who would be as good as him and would actually stick around for a decade?
It's not the actual tenure but the intention which matters. Even when we appointed Moyes he was in it for the long run. He didn't stay long but the intention was that he would continue indefinitely at least as long as we were doing well.

With pep he is clearly going to get bored quickly with all the teams. He stayed with his boyhood team Barca for 4 years, with another top team Bayern for 3. It's highly unlikely that he will stay here more than that time which again will bring managerial changes. I'm not against appointing him as I like him but we would be in the same situation as we are in now 3 years from now. With the difference we can hear our manager linked to other clubs (including city) rather than players.

With LvG it was about getting us stability and bringing us back to the fore after our horror 13/14. So it made sense that we gave him a shorter contract which suited him and us. I don't think it will be a terrible idea putting Giggs after LvG. The main issue that I saw with Moyes was that he couldn't demand respect from the players because he came from nowhere and most of our players were winners. With Giggs however, most of the current players came in the last 2 seasons and pretty much see him as the second in command already. In all probabilities the remaining seniors like Carrick and Rooney will leave by then too making it completely free of any 'mates of Giggs' situation as well. Tactically I'm not really sure but if SAF, LvG (two completely different managers) feels he can become the manager they must see something in him that makes them think of Giggs highly. With the right coaches (not the likes of Neville butt and all but actual able guys), I think he could work.

NK86

It's not the actual tenure but the intention which matters. Even when we appointed Moyes he was in it for the long run. He didn't stay long but the intention was that he would continue indefinitely at least as long as we were doing well.

With pep he is clearly going to get bored quickly with all the teams. He stayed with his boyhood team Barca for 4 years, with another top team Bayern for 3. It's highly unlikely that he will stay here more than that time which again will bring managerial changes. I'm not against appointing him as I like him but we would be in the same situation as we are in now 3 years from now. With the difference we can hear our manager linked to other clubs (including city) rather than players.

With LvG it was about getting us stability and bringing us back to the fore after our horror 13/14. So it made sense that we gave him a shorter contract which suited him and us. I don't think it will be a terrible idea putting Giggs after LvG. The main issue that I saw with Moyes was that he couldn't demand respect from the players because he came from nowhere and most of our players were winners. With Giggs however, most of the current players came in the last 2 seasons and pretty much see him as the second in command already. In all probabilities the remaining seniors like Carrick and Rooney will leave by then too making it completely free of any 'mates of Giggs' situation as well. Tactically I'm not really sure but if SAF, LvG (two completely different managers) feels he can become the manager they must see something in him that makes them think of Giggs highly. With the right coaches (not the likes of Neville butt and all but actual able guys), I think he could work.
I agree that the idea of Pep could be short term but which top manager in the current climate has stayed at a club for 5+ years except for Wenger. Wenger and SAF are now the rather massive exceptions. Also, maybe Pep is not going to be here long term but the idea of letting him go because he "might" get bored in 3-4 years is very risky at best.

As far as Giggs is concerned, IMO it is a terrible idea. It is not all about respect else every top ex-player would make a great manager. It is about tactical nous and ability to coach in a certain way. Pep was an anomaly wherein he came and stamped his mark on a remarkable Barca side but going with Giggs may set us further back. What do we do after that? Again get in a temporary appointment to set things right in 4-5 years till we are able to compete with the best again? Also, with Giggs the worry is the board might give him much more leeway seeing that he is a legend. That might screw us up more if he is not up to the mark. Why take such an unnecessary risk. SAF and LVG are both top managers with SAF being an absolute monster in this regard but the last time he was about to call it a day in 2001 he wanted Ericsson to replace him. I am not too convinced he is the best judge of managers to manage United.

That brings us back to the point, who is available out there who we can put in charge for 10+ years with absolute confidence that he will get it right more often than not?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
3-4 years of success is the best you can hope for when choosing a new manager.

By choosing managers like Van Gaal and Pep rather than Ancelloti or Mourinho, you're still investing in the long term as they operate with that in mind.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Pep has won 2 CL titles so far. How many has LVG won?

Pep brought through the likes of Busquets and changed the way Barca played. He made the likes of Iniesta and Xavi central to what he did at Barca and you say he has not achieved anything?

As for the winning with kids comment, what did you even mean by that? He put faith in a lot of youngsters. SAF didn't play the batch of 92 for the sake of it. He played them because they they were damn good. Pep does the same thing.
Van Gaal has won only 1 Cl title. But not with the likes of Messi and Iniesta. He took a bunch of kids from an internationally small club in financial trouble and took them to win the Uefacup first, and ended the reign of AC Milan later. The AC Milan that dominated Europe for years, and he beat them fair and square, 3 times, the AC Milan that humiliated Cruijff's Barcelona with it's big name players the year before. This Ajax had a turnover of about 25 million guilders, about 8 million pounds back then, Milan had about 150 million to spend each year. The next year they beat Real 0-2, allthough 2 more goals were wrongly disallowed, they got standing ovation from the Bernabeu crowd (they got some style at Real), Spanish papers were hysterical, this was the football from the next century, they turned out te be right. They were beaten in the final by a drugged (obvious but only proven a few years ago) Juventus.

That's like winning the PL with Stoke by a set of tactical and training innovations, or like Swansea winning the CL in these days. For a manager that's a much bigger achievement than winnint the CL with a club that has the means to have the best players in the world and that has the best players in the world. I'm not saying it's easy to win the CL twice with the best players in the world, and it certainly isn't easy to have them play like that, but as an achievement from a manager it's in a different class.

Pep has never had to punch above his weight, LvG generally does. He did it with AZ again, he took a Dutch national team from a first round zero points at the EC12 to a side that destroyed Spain and got to 3rd place after going out on penalties in two years. After he left, the Dutch national team went back to it's actual level with Hiddink. Another achievement beyond realistic expectation if you look at the quality of the players.

As for Pep having the best players, that is neither here nor there. He brought in some of the best players himself when he started off at Barca. They dominated the stage like no club before because of the style of play which he implemented. It is not like LVG took a group of below average players to win something.
I think you lack a bit of historical knowledge and perspective here.

Pep has never been kicked out of a job like LVG. LVG had Barca in the relegation places and Bayern outside the CL spots. That takes some doing considering the league those teams played in.
I think LvG's work at Barcelona was generally disappointing, no great diplomat was lost when he chose a career as a football manager and he's got a habit of getting in conflict with important people in ánd around clubs, which soon has an impact on the team's performance. It's fair to criticize him for that and it has probably prevented him winning more silverware.

But at United they just accept him beeing the boss and don't interfere, so this weakness isn't an issue. When it comes to Bayern, Pep still has got to match his performance in the CL, in the same season he started an overhaul of the team and club. The kind of job Pep never took on, Pep is a tweaker, not a rebuilder. Given the fact that United had to be rebuild and is still in the process, given the fact that United doesn't have the best players in the world and will not have the best players in the world in the forseeable future, given the fact that LvG has bigger achievements to his name than Pep, and don't see why Pep would be considered a better manager for United.

Adebesi

Van Gaal has won only 1 Cl title. But not with the likes of Messi and Iniesta. He took a bunch of kids from an internationally small club in financial trouble and took them to win the Uefacup first, and ended the reign of AC Milan later. The AC Milan that dominated Europe for years, and he beat them fair and square, 3 times, the AC Milan that humiliated Cruijff's Barcelona with it's big name players the year before. This Ajax had a turnover of about 25 million guilders, about 8 million pounds back then, Milan had about 150 million to spend each year. The next year they beat Real 0-2, allthough 2 more goals were wrongly disallowed, they got standing ovation from the Bernabeu crowd (they got some style at Real), Spanish papers were hysterical, this was the football from the next century, they turned out te be right. They were beaten in the final by a drugged (obvious but only proven a few years ago) Juventus.

That's like winning the PL with Stoke by a set of tactical and training innovations, or like Swansea winning the CL in these days. For a manager that's a much bigger achievement than winnint the CL with a club that has the means to have the best players in the world and that has the best players in the world. I'm not saying it's easy to win the CL twice with the best players in the world, and it certainly isn't easy to have them play like that, but as an achievement from a manager it's in a different class.
It is an incredible achievement. Its a shame that nothing he has done since quite compares to it. Which is not to say he hasnt done anything else of note. His AZ team (which I dont think I ever actually saw play, but have read about) seems to me to be his second most impressive achievement. But I think its fair to say he has lived off the reputation he earned at Ajax a bit in his career. If you measure a manager by his greatest achievement, he is right up there with the very best. If you measure a manager by the average of all his achievements taken together he falls down a tier.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I voted no but thinking again i think I will have to say yes. If Pep goes to City,they will win the prem for the foreseeable future imo. IMO, thers is only one manager that can perfect the possession football that we play and that is Guardiola. It will leave a bad taste if we do well this season but it has to be done. However, all this is academic because the indications are he will renew till 2017.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
It is an incredible achievement. Its a shame that nothing he has done since quite compares to it.
No one has, certainly not Guardiola.

Which is not to say he hasnt done anything else of note. His AZ team (which I dont think I ever actually saw play, but have read about) seems to me to be his second most impressive achievement. But I think its fair to say he has lived off the reputation he earned at Ajax a bit in his career. If you measure a manager by his greatest achievement, he is right up there with the very best.
No, on single achievement he's alone up there. I thought his first year at Bayern was also quite impressive, because he did so much in a short time. After that it all went wrong and tainted this achievement.

If you measure a manager by the average of all his achievements taken together he falls down a tier.
Fair point. But he tends to take on different challenges than managers like Pep and Ancelotti. They don't do things like laying new foundations, and they don't take team to a higher class because they start with clubs that are already up there. Then it's easier not to have any failures, but it's also more difficult to have amazing achievements. If you want to decide who's best for the current United job, you first have to decide what kind of job it is. I don't think United is up there with the best in terms of quality players, and I don't think they will be up there with the very best in the forseeable future, because Spanish clubs can buy first choice players in England, and English clubs can't buy first choice players in Spain.

Adebesi

No one has, certainly not Guardiola.

No, on single achievement he's alone up there. I thought his first year at Bayern was also quite impressive, because he did so much in a short time. After that it all went wrong and tainted this achievement.
I think you are slightly overstating this point. Two things: if you want to say taking a smaller team and achieving great things with them is the single best thing you can achieve, and that winning more things with a bigger team is an inferior achievement, he is still not alone. The one that springs to mind is Clough. But there have been others too. (Unless you mean alone up there in terms of managers in the game now. In which case, maybe by this very narrow criteria you use you are right, although it is more that I have a limited knowledge of the goings on outside the PL, so I cant think of any other examples.)

But I think the other thing is that your criteria is too narrow to be accepted generally. It is fine for you to think this way, it is a fairly easy opinion to defend. But others have just as much reason to say winning a treble with Barca or United is greater, especially when you set it in context. This is all highly subjective, there is no way to say one achievement is worth more than another. Yes Ajax had limited resources financially but it had unbelievable resources in terms of a generation of players that then went on to populate the best clubs in Europe over the next decade. It isnt like he used his philosophy to achieve that CL win (and another near miss) with a bunch of very limited players. The fact he didnt have to buy them at the market rate is hardly relevant to the achievement, in some ways.

Fair point. But he tends to take on different challenges than managers like Pep and Ancelotti. They don't do things like laying new foundations, and they don't take team to a higher class because they start with clubs that are already up there. Then it's easier not to have any failures, but it's also more difficult to have amazing achievements. If you want to decide who's best for the current United job, you first have to decide what kind of job it is. I don't think United is up there with the best in terms of quality players, and I don't think they will be up there with the very best in the forseeable future, because Spanish clubs can buy first choice players in England, and English clubs can't buy first choice players in Spain.
Yeah I agree with this. And I think it will be really interesting to see what Guardiola does next. I was also interested, a few years ago, to see what Mourinho did, for his next "challenge". Years ago I had a theory he would end up at Liverpool. I thought that would be the way to prove all the doubters, that said he only went and managed rich clubs, wrong. If he had revived Liverpool his legacy would have been secured. If Klopp does it, his reputation will be further enhanced. If Guardiola goes to City it will reinforce your point about him. Its hard to say exactly where we - United - are in the spectrum between those two extremes (City as the club with infinite resources, and Liverpool as the terminal fckups) as we are a work in progress. But you are right, Van Gaal took on a much harder job with us than Guardiola took with Bayern. And until he takes on a different kind of challenge to the ones he has taken at Barca and Bayern, there will always be people questioning what he has done.

Although I am a little more optimistic than you are in your last sentence. It is true that Madrid and Barca have an advantage over us but we have been stronger than them periodically over the years and I dont see why we cant be again.

NK86

So what LVG did 2 decades ago is your answer to whether he is a better manager than Pep? You throw the money factor in it, how much did Pep spend on building that side? Most of the players were La Masia graduates.

How about Pep taking a Barca side which finished woefully and completely in disarray and making them the most dominant club which football has seen? How about him bringing in youngsters and letting go of the likes of Deco by promoting Xavi and Iniesta? How about him bringing back the style which has become a template for many teams to follow?

Jose Mourinho won the title with Porto. Do you consider that a great achievement to make him better than Pep? Di Matteo won the CL with Chelsea. Do you consider him a very good manager?

given the fact that LvG has bigger achievements to his name than Pep, and don't see why Pep would be considered a better manager for United.
Again, winning a CL with a minnow is big thing but he lucked out with some brilliant players in that side. You don't win the title or the CL without having the players for it. If he was that brilliant a coach/manager, why did he not achieve the same with Barca twice and with Bayern? They had the same resources even then. He had a lot of the same players which Pep has but he could not get the best out of them. Why is that? You conveniently forget all those points while bigging up a couple of his achievements.

Sam

3 years of Pep > 1 extra year of LVG

Sam

Do you think Pep would have more goals out of our current attackers?
I don't think Pep would have gone into this season with our current attackers.

I don't think many managers would have tbh.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don't think Pep would have gone into this season with our current attackers.

I don't think many managers would have tbh.
You think we didn't try to sign more?

You'd rather a few average joes were bought for £20m rather than give our youngsters a go?

Adebesi

I think we could have signed more attackers if we had really set our minds to it. I imagine the reason we didnt was because he planned to play Rooney in every game and assumed we had enough to rotate in the other positions. He probably would have liked to get someone else in, hence chasing Pedro, but I doubt he saw it as the most important issue he faced.

ravelston

Given the same cast of characters, I can't see any reason to believe that Guardiola would have done any better than LvG. Right now the team is learning to play a particular style of football and hopefully the junior levels are going in the same direction. What I want is the maximum of continuity while changes work their way through the system. What I don't want is to be switching to the "flavour of the month" every two years. The issue is building a sustainable team with a consistent playing style. We've made a good start - why take the chance of screwing it up now?

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
I think you are slightly overstating this point. Two things: if you want to say taking a smaller team and achieving great things with them is the single best thing you can achieve, and that winning more things with a bigger team is an inferior achievement, he is still not alone. The one that springs to mind is Clough. But there have been others too. (Unless you mean alone up there in terms of managers in the game now. In which case, maybe by this very narrow criteria you use you are right, although it is more that I have a limited knowledge of the goings on outside the PL, so I cant think of any other examples.)
No, I do rate Clough's achievement as exceptional, not sure to which extend exactly because I lack knowledge of the football in his day and age. But I think it's fair to say that he didn't take a bunch of kids and bargains and went out to be the best team in Europe for two years, showing everybody the football of the future.

But I think the other thing is that your criteria is too narrow to be accepted generally. It is fine for you to think this way, it is a fairly easy opinion to defend. But others have just as much reason to say winning a treble with Barca or United is greater, especially when you set it in context. This is all highly subjective, there is no way to say one achievement is worth more than another. Yes Ajax had limited resources financially but it had unbelievable resources in terms of a generation of players that then went on to populate the best clubs in Europe over the next decade. It isnt like he used his philosophy to achieve that CL win (and another near miss) with a bunch of very limited players. The fact he didnt have to buy them at the market rate is hardly relevant to the achievement, in some ways.
He had to buy his left winger, his right winger, his No. 10, his left back, his right back (who he turned form failed midfielder to good right back) and his captain was not about to become an international superstar either. There happened to be 2 great talents coming throught from the youth academy at that time, Kluivert and Seedor, and one was a bit older and started to blossom (Davids) but don't forget they were 18, 17 and 21. It's not like he could relie on their experience, he had to learn them a lot and he had to give them a lot of instruction. He didn't have players that were worth millions, he had players with the potential to become players that are worth millions.

Yeah I agree with this. And I think it will be really interesting to see what Guardiola does next. I was also interested, a few years ago, to see what Mourinho did, for his next "challenge". Years ago I had a theory he would end up at Liverpool. I thought that would be the way to prove all the doubters, that said he only went and managed rich clubs, wrong. If he had revived Liverpool his legacy would have been secured. If Klopp does it, his reputation will be further enhanced. If Guardiola goes to City it will reinforce your point about him. Its hard to say exactly where we - United - are in the spectrum between those two extremes (City as the club with infinite resources, and Liverpool as the terminal fckups) as we are a work in progress. But you are right, Van Gaal took on a much harder job with us than Guardiola took with Bayern. And until he takes on a different kind of challenge to the ones he has taken at Barca and Bayern, there will always be people questioning what he has done.
He can also excell by only taking on the jobs like he's taken so far in his career, but at a real top club the bar for special achievements is also raised.

Although I am a little more optimistic than you are in your last sentence. It is true that Madrid and Barca have an advantage over us but we have been stronger than them periodically over the years and I dont see why we cant be again.
I'm not pessimistic at all, but with the weather and the city, it will be very hard to buy first choice players in their prime from Real, Barca and Bayern. They're happy there, especially the South Europeans and South American players. Stopping the best players in their prime from leaving to Spain should be a more realistic goal. It's possible to be stronger, but not by outbuying the other big clubs. It should come from buying smarter, buying younger, better management and tactics, more stability, the high paced PL and some old fashioned British fighting spirit.

So what LVG did 2 decades ago is your answer to whether he is a better manager than Pep?
It was about achievements in the past, wasn't it? Pep's last CL final is also half a decade ago. It wouldn't count for much if LvG was a dinosaur with outdated ideas about football, but more recent achievements prove the contrary.

You throw the money factor in it, how much did Pep spend on building that side? Most of the players were La Masia graduates.
Het got very lucky with Messi, and players like Iniesta and Xavi were already in their prime. The difference between a rich club like that and LvG's Ajax is that Ajax can't afford talented players when they get into their prime. Van Gaal just had to let Bergkamp and Jonk go, his most important players, so everybody said the time of succes was already over because of that. But it just begun.

How about Pep taking a Barca side which finished woefully and completely in disarray and making them the most dominant club which football has seen? How about him bringing in youngsters and letting go of the likes of Deco by promoting Xavi and Iniesta? How about him bringing back the style which has become a template for many teams to follow?
He certainly did make some important and right decisions. But he just had to finetune a playing style the whole club and all the players from La Masia were already very familiar with. He didn't have to start from scratch.

About the dominance and the template I have my doubts. I don't think they were that dominant, they got very lucky in some crucial matches. The style of play can be very impressive, and it's impressive manager's work anyway, because it takes a lot from a manager to have a team play this organized. But I don't think it's that effective. It proved to be quite effective with the best players in the world, but it also proved to be quite vulnerable to teams with less or almost equal player quality. At one time he had 3 of the 4 best players in the world in his squad, is it really that special for a manager to win the CL twice with players like that?

Jose Mourinho won the title with Porto. Do you consider that a great achievement to make him better than Pep? Di Matteo won the CL with Chelsea. Do you consider him a very good manager?
I think Mourinho's win with Porto was very impressive, a bigger achievement than winning the CL with Messi and Iniesta.

Again, winning a CL with a minnow is big thing but he lucked out with some brilliant players in that side. You don't win the title or the CL without having the players for it.
"You don't win the CL with kids"? I agree it has never happened since. Porto shouldn't have won the CL either, the Dutch national team should have gone out in the first round of the WC. But sometimes brilliant managers do achieve things with a group of players that shouldn't be good enough.

If he was that brilliant a coach/manager, why did he not achieve the same with Barca twice and with Bayern? They had the same resources even then. He had a lot of the same players which Pep has but he could not get the best out of them. Why is that? You conveniently forget all those points while bigging up a couple of his achievements.
He didn't have a lot of the same players, there's this whole generation of Ronaldinho and Deco in between. But that he's brilliant doesn't mean he's without shortcomings. He tried to make Barca into Ajax 2.0, and made a mess of the politics required at Barcelona, there's been some good football played at the Nou Camp back then, but generally it wasn't wat it should have been. At Bayern he showed his brilliance in his first year, implemented a very new style, got some very young players in and made them play like experienced players, and got great results.

Bigging up achievements? If Pep is such a great manager, why is it he didn't yet match LvG's first year at Bayern? His starting point was much better. Why did his Bayern get trashed by Real, did he miss Messi and Iniesta? Why did Luis Henrique win the CL with Barca also in his first attempt, trashing Pep's Bayern to?

NK86

Bigging up achievements? If Pep is such a great manager, why is it he didn't yet match LvG's first year at Bayern? His starting point was much better. Why did his Bayern get trashed by Real, did he miss Messi and Iniesta? Why did Luis Henrique win the CL with Barca also in his first attempt, trashing Pep's Bayern to?
I am not sure you remember Bayern's run into the CL final that season. They were getting thrashed by us in the quarters and were it not for the referee making a horrible call, we would have knocked them out. They also got a favorable draw in the round of 16. Ask any Bayern fan and they will say that their run to the final was dependent on them getting a fair amount of luck although they didn't play that well. After that why don't you consider his next season where he got the sack as he lost the dressing room and had Bayern outside the CL spots. Heckneys came in and almost immediately improved massively with the same set of players. Don't really think his achievements at Bayern are impressive much. Anyone good team can get to a final with the luck of the draw. We did that not too many seasons ago and got thrashed my Barca at Wembley.

InfiniteBoredom

No.

We gave LvG a 3 years contract. He's on course to achieve his objective (winning the league). Let the man carry on his works.

This is coming from someone who doesn't enjoy our football under LvG, even the run against Spurs, Liverpool and City last season.

Sacking a manager who's doing well just to get a shinier one in sends a terrible message. Principles may hold us back, but they need to be observed.

Adebesi

I find it really interesting the lack of correlation between the people answering yes to the question in the OP and those who are struggling to enjoy our football (and visa versa).

I wonder how different it would be if the coach we proposed to bring in was different - someone not also associated with possession football. I sense not much, it is more a quaint idea that football clubs should honour contracts. I had no idea such an idea was alive and well in football.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Can those who've voted yes smack yourselves in the face really hard. Thanks.

SirAF

Ageist

I'm not so sure that would be a bad thing. I'm starting to warm to the idea of having a manager on a 4-5 year basis - keeping things fresh and avoiding complacency. Ferguson was a once in a lifetime thing. That said, I would still not sacrifice LvG. That would be very very classless as long as he is progressing with us, which he is doing.

Dominos

I am not sure you remember Bayern's run into the CL final that season. They were getting thrashed by us in the quarters and were it not for the referee making a horrible call, we would have knocked them out. They also got a favorable draw in the round of 16. Ask any Bayern fan and they will say that their run to the final was dependent on them getting a fair amount of luck although they didn't play that well. After that why don't you consider his next season where he got the sack as he lost the dressing room and had Bayern outside the CL spots. Heckneys came in and almost immediately improved massively with the same set of players. Don't really think his achievements at Bayern are impressive much. Anyone good team can get to a final with the luck of the draw. We did that not too many seasons ago and got thrashed my Barca at Wembley.
:lol:

They had scored the last goal of the game before that decision and were 1 goal away from being ahead in the tie (which they got). They got a favourable decision because Ribery was having a free run at our defence and Rafael stupidly dragged him back for what is the clearest yellow card you'll ever see (his 2nd of the game obviously).

They also dominated the first leg.

NK86

:lol:

They had scored the last goal of the game before that decision and were 1 goal away from being ahead in the tie (which they got). They got a favourable decision because Ribery was having a free run at our defence and Rafael stupidly dragged him back for what is the clearest yellow card you'll ever see (his 2nd of the game obviously).

They also dominated the first leg.
Really? We had scored three already and were it not for the red we could have scored more. Rooney got injured at half time and we were left woefully short. They were there for the taking and everyone who saw the match knows it. It took a wonder goal from Robben to see them through. And they certainly did not "dominate" the first leg. It was a closely fought game which they ended up winning due to a mistake from Evra in the last gasp.

In fact, their first goal too came from an absolutely stupid error from Carrick. Cannot believe people think we would not have gone through but for the red for Rafa.

Dominos

Really? We had scored three already and were it not for the red we could have scored more. Rooney got injured at half time and we were left woefully short. They were there for the taking and everyone who saw the match knows it. It took a wonder goal from Robben to see them through. And they certainly did not "dominate" the first leg. It was a closely fought game which they ended up winning due to a mistake from Evra in the last gasp.

In fact, their first goal too came from an absolutely stupid error from Carrick. Cannot believe people think we would not have gone through but for the red for Rafa.
They were all over us in the first leg.

We may have gone through if not for Rafa's red, but popular belief that we were robbed in that tie is laughable. We were only the better team in 1 out the 4 halves played, and the red card was the correct decision. At 2-0 they almost scored, we luckily escaped and went up the other end and made it 3-0. They then got 1 back before half time and started the 2nd half well which resulted in Ribery having a free run at our defence until Rafael dragged him back.

The team was heavily faitgued at that particular time in the season and our pressing that got us such a good first half performance was already starting to drop. How we can say we 100% would've qualified when there was only 1 goal in it is arrogant beyond belief.

Sam

You think we didn't try to sign more?

You'd rather a few average joes were bought for £20m rather than give our youngsters a go?
I don't think we did a very good job of signing anymore tbh. There was the Pedro shambles and the supposed Mane bid way too late for Southampton to ever accept. Then of course the Bale and Neymar rumours which are so ridiculous you can only hope the club didn't actually think they would come off.

And on top of that we let one of those youngsters go out on loan, in a position we are desperatly short in, to a team where he'll barely get any more minutes anyway.

LVG is going on about wanting pace on the wings, yet went into the season with Mata as our only left footed right winger. Hardly genius stuff.