Would you sack LVG if it meant we could get Guardiola at the end of the season?

Would you sack LVG if it meant we could get Guardiola at the end of the season?

• Total voters

InfiniteBoredom

:lol: People turning down pep knowing LVG will retire the following season anyway.
18 months is a very long time in football. There will be good managers available.

Sacking your manager who is doing well just to get a theoretically better one, besides the obvious cuntishness, can be very damaging long term. It undermines the position greatly, not least when it comes to his authority with the players.

Can those who've voted yes smack yourselves in the face really hard. Thanks.
:smirk:

NK86

They were all over us in the first leg.

We may have gone through if not for Rafa's red, but popular belief that we were robbed in that tie is laughable. We were only the better team in 1 out the 4 halves played, and the red card was the correct decision. At 2-0 they almost scored, we luckily escaped and went up the other end and made it 3-0. They then got 1 back before half time and started the 2nd half well which resulted in Ribery having a free run at our defence until Rafael dragged him back.

The team was heavily faitgued at that particular time in the season and our pressing that got us such a good first half performance was already starting to drop. How we can say we 100% would've qualified when there was only 1 goal in it is arrogant beyond belief.
Because they hardly looked threatening and we looked like the team who would score more. We were very good in the first leg and unlucky to lose in the last minutes due to a defensive lapse. It was a typical away encounter under Fergie where we defended excellently and hardly gave them a sniff.

The return leg saw us completely overwhelm them in the first 45 minutes and the red card turned the game on its head.

I think we have veered off topic here. LVG had a lot of the same players which Heckneys got but that Bayern team were nowhere near as good as the one under Heckneys.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don't think we did a very good job of signing anymore tbh. There was the Pedro shambles
It became clear as day since the summer that we never identified him as a target. His agent was pushing his name out there trying to force a payday in the EPL. We considered it because of his profile and his availability and never made an approach. Quite rightly too.

and the supposed Mane bid way too late for Southampton to ever accept.
Bolded the key word. Southampton came out that same week and said we made no bid.

Then of course the Bale and Neymar rumours which are so ridiculous you can only hope the club didn't actually think they would come off.
I think we've probably made approaches for and laid the groundwork for a host of top bracket "unattainable" players over the last couple of years. Why? Because shit happens and football players don't all stay at the same club for years. One of them will be available at some point and we've been proactive in getting a head start on signing them. We'll be one of few clubs who can afford them if they do get itchy feet.

And on top of that we let one of those youngsters go out on loan, in a position we are desperatly short in, to a team where he'll barely get any more minutes anyway.
Nobody really knows the full story but there was a lot of talk about Adnan demanding games at the very start of the season. Then Van Gaal gave him a run of starts and he disappointed and was dropped to the bench again. I wouldn't be surprised if he was pushing for a loan and the club decided it would be good for him on one level or another. Get games and he'll progress, sit on the bench and he might twig.

LVG is going on about wanting pace on the wings, yet went into the season with Mata as our only left footed right winger. Hardly genius stuff.
:lol:

That's a very specific complaint. You do realise he's not been shy of playing right footers there... of which we have a few.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
LVG has set the foundations for Guardiola. It's absolutely perfect

Mutter Merkel

fate tied with LVG
I think he will come here when LVG leaves at the end of his contract; I don't see Pep leaving that Bayern side behind this summer.

RustyS

I am personally interested to see how things progress under LvG. The way he took our defensive/midfield organization from shambolic to one of the best in the league makes me want to see what his finished product looks like.

dsch

If Pep wants to come and gets sacked by Bayern at the end of this season, he can bloody well take another sabbatical.

Sam

It became clear as day since the summer that we never identified him as a target. His agent was pushing his name out there trying to force a payday in the EPL. We considered it because of his profile and his availability and never made an approach. Quite rightly too.
We were clearly in for him. Anyone that claims otherwise is simply burying their heads in the sand. Pedro has confirmed it, his agent has confirmed it, and even LVG didn't deny it when asked. 'When he has signed, I come to you and say Pedro is here'/

Clearly never made an approach :wenger:

Bolded the key word. Southampton came out that same week and said we made no bid.
You're the one that said we tried to sign more, not me.

I think we've probably made approaches for and laid the groundwork for a host of top bracket "unattainable" players over the last couple of years. Why? Because shit happens and football players don't all stay at the same club for years. One of them will be available at some point and we've been proactive in getting a head start on signing them. We'll be one of few clubs who can afford them if they do get itchy feet.
Thats all good and well. But if we're relying on those deals coming off, when the squad is already short on options in attacking areas, then we were just asking for trouble. And as a result, we've gone into the season woefully short of attacking quality.

Nobody really knows the full story but there was a lot of talk about Adnan demanding games at the very start of the season. Then Van Gaal gave him a run of starts and he disappointed and was dropped to the bench again. I wouldn't be surprised if he was pushing for a loan and the club decided it would be good for him on one level or another. Get games and he'll progress, sit on the bench and he might twig.
Januzaj confirmed himself that he only found out about the Dortmund loan on the morning it happened, and wasn't pushing for a move himself iirc.

:lol:

That's a very specific complaint. You do realise he's not been shy of playing right footers there... of which we have a few.
Its not a very specific complaint when our manager has always preferred inverted wingers, and always played with them. The only other option on the right has been Lingaard, and that lasted all of about 3 games before being moved to the left.

So yeah, the only winger we have for the right hand side, that suits LVG's methods, is Mata. Which is ridiculous.

Rooney24

If reports are true and Pep is leaving Bayern, if we don't make a move for him we are mad.

Mindhunter

Interesting that majority think we shouldn't sack LVG if Guardiola is available. Maybe these folks don't post a lot.

Tarrou

Interesting that majority think we shouldn't sack LVG if Guardiola is available. Maybe these folks don't post a lot.
Thread is over a month old though. Sentiment has swung heavily in the other direction since then.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I'm a big supporter of LVG. He is top class manager.
However, if PEP can come in, then LVG should leave at the end of this season.
If we have no manager/replacement in place, then LVG must stay. No way should Giggs manage the club, under any circumstances (which is what would happen if LVG got the sack with no replacement manager in place).

buckooo1978

Pep at his age and with his record and ability is a no brainer - bring him in.....

Fergie was able to make these kind of decisions and generally got them right - Ince, Kanchelskis and Hughes making way for Class of 92

LVG has done a good job in building a strong foundation and lowering the age of the squad - time for a creator to take over

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm a big supporter of LVG. He is top class manager.
However, if PEP can come in, then LVG should leave at the end of this season.
If we have no manager/replacement in place, then LVG must stay. No way should Giggs manage the club, under any circumstances (which is what would happen if LVG got the sack with no replacement manager in place).
He was. Like ... 15 years ago.

Nowadays he's just a fraud who talks enough shit to make people think he's still a good manager.

If Pep's available and we keep LvG instead of going for him then the club is truly run by the biggest morons known to mankind.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It depends on our league position really. If we finish 4th, with no real signs of progress then i'd be inclined to. Hence my vote of yes.

The real dilemma comes if we actually do well, be it win the league, or either of the cups. We would be making a big call in firing a manager after that, but we'd be securing our future for a year down the line. Van Gaal will only retire the year after, with Pep and Ancelotti in full time jobs and ourselves firmly up shit creak.

The two big questions in that case are: Would we fire a successful boss for the greater good of the club? And would either of the successors take a year out?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It depends on our league position really. If we finish 4th, with no real signs of progress then i'd be inclined to. Hence my vote of yes.

The real dilemma comes if we actually do well, be it win the league, or either of the cups. We would be making a big call in firing a manager after that, but we'd be securing our future for a year down the line. Van Gaal will only retire the year after, with Pep and Ancelotti in full time jobs and ourselves firmly up shit creak.

The two big questions in that case are: Would we fire a successful boss for the greater good of the club? And would either of the successors take a year out?
Look what Bayern did.... If we can get Pep its a no brainer, because LVG won't be here pasty 2017 and we don't know who would be available then.
This is a crucial time, if we let Klopp go to Pool, Simione to Chelsea and Pep to City in the space of 12 months, we are the biggest morons.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Look what Bayern did.... If we can get Pep its a no brainer, because LVG won't be here pasty 2017 and we don't know who would be available then.
This is a crucial time, if we let Klopp go to Pool, Simione to Chelsea and Pep to City in the space of 12 months, we are the biggest morons.
Think Jupp was retiring anyway. He might have been guided towards the door, but he'd been pretty up front well in advance that he was off. We'd be terminating his contract with a year to run, i think the two are pretty different.

The bolded point is what i said in my second paragraph. We need to weigh up the opportunity cost of allowing him to see out his last year against the managerial landscape 12 months on. I do think the fact it's only 12 months until he retires helps us. If he was 45 with 3 years left on his deal, and for all intents and purposes was going to stay for the long term, i'd probably be dead against this. As it is, i'd see it as doing the best for the club.

PSingh

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
To me its a no brainer, if pep is available and wants the job in summer, we should sack LVG at the end of the season and bring Pep in.

Kaos

If Pep comes he isnt going to stay for more than 3 or 4 years anyway, most likely. So his being young is not that much of an advantage.
Ancelotti wouldn't stay longer than that I'd imagine and Mourinho definitely wouldn't. Its a different sport now, SAFs and Wengers are an extinct breed.

jem

18 months is a very long time in football. There will be good managers available.

Sacking your manager who is doing well just to get a theoretically better one, besides the obvious cuntishness, can be very damaging long term. It undermines the position greatly, not least when it comes to his authority with the players.

Except I would argue that Van Gaal is not doing well, particularly when you look at how much money he has had at this disposal. To have been eliminated early from the league cup two years in a row along with the CL group stages this year, and to be trailing Leicester is particularly damning.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Its not something I would feel good about or enjoy seeing happen and doesn’t sound fair

But the opportunity to be managed by Pep in this moment is too big and not something the club should turn down

Kaos

Feck sounding fair, what isn't fair is that we've been conned by LVG with him blowing millions just for us to watch tumescent performance week after week, while Liverpool get Klopp and even feckin Spurs get Pochettino.

El Zoido

LVG would have to do a Moyes to lose his job. No way would we fire him if he finishes in the top four again.

Adebesi

Ancelotti wouldn't stay longer than that I'd imagine and Mourinho definitely wouldn't. Its a different sport now, SAFs and Wengers are an extinct breed.
I agree. It's not so much a point against Guardiola. Just someone above my original post said Guardiola's age was a factor in favour, I was just making the point that it isn't really relevant. I used to think getting a manager in who'd be around for many years was a big factor, now it is far down the list for me, mainly because I don't think it's realistic.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur

Doing well? fecking hell.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
When his thread was first created, I said I would reluctantly sack him. Now, I would sack him without remorse. He can have no complaints.

iKeano

You reckon?

He left Barca after a few years, he looks set to leave Bayern similarly quickly. Why would he want to stay with us for a longer stretch? Seems to me he is someone who likes new challenges, he would come and do his thing for a few years and then in all probability move on.
That's football... Utd fans need to get their heads around the fact that Fergie was an anomaly. We aren't going to get 26 years out of anyone ever again.
The modern game is about making hay while the sun shines; a season sitting back with an un-inspirational manager is a season wasted.
Think of it as a phone, if you can get an early upgrade, take it! :D

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Unless Van Gaal significantly turns things around he should be sacked regardless of whether Guardiola is available.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
With Pep we would have the chance to dominate the league and have a good shot at the CL. Absolute no brainer for me.

ghagua

Why just Guardiola, i would just get rid of him for any half decent manager right now. Maybe they can come in and inspire the team to a decent finish and save this season.

SSSSnake

Doing well by your standards but not for the 99% of us.

Southampton did the same thing by sacking Nigel Adkins for Pochetiino and that turned out pretty well. I'm sure there's a dozen other examples too.

If we don't go for Pep then that leaves the door for City or Chelsea potentially and that would be criminal.