Would you sack LVG if it meant we could get Guardiola at the end of the season?

Would you sack LVG if it meant we could get Guardiola at the end of the season?

• Total voters

Rooney24

If we could get Guardiola at the end of the season would you push LVG out the door a year early to make it happen?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If the choice is ousting LVG for Pep in the summer or missing out on Pep so we can prime Giggs for the role the following year... I say go for Pep.

...and that comes from one of LVG's biggest supporters on here.

Skills

Snitch
Pep, just to avoid the horrific scenario of Giggs taking over after LVG.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think Guardiola will also play the possession based game - very similar to LVG's system.
So, if the possession based game is not your thing, Guardiola isn't going to be what you want to see.
If you want to see us play like Bayern, it's not the manager which needs changing - its the players.

It is strange that some people who are bored of LVG's system, want Guardiola as a successor.

Sigma

I think Guardiola will also play the possession based game - very similar to LVG's system.
So, if the possession based game is not your thing, Guardiola isn't going to be what you want to see.
If you want to see us play like Bayern, it's not the manager which needs changing - its the players.

It is strange that some people who are bored of LVG's system, want Guardiola as a successor.
Guardiola at the moment is a much more attacking manager than van Gaal at the moment. You can see that from the semi-final in the CL against Barca last season when he went 3v3 at the back vs Messi, Suarez and Neymar.

VanGaalEra

There isn't one. Sometimes you just have to engage your own brain and thought process !
But this is pure fantasy. I don't think Pep is leaving Bayern and barring something catastrophic, LVG is seeing it out his contract here.

MarkC

Another depressing thread. It's sad to see we have fans who give managers no time and would be happy for us to become like Chelsea or Real with a revolving door of managers.

Seriously what is the point of setting targets for a manager if you are going to sack him despite achieving them.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Another depressing thread. It's sad to see we have fans who give managers no time and would be happy for us to become like Chelsea or Real with a revolving door of managers.

Seriously what is the point of setting targets for a manager if you are going to sack him despite achieving them.
Tbf, this is a slightly different case in that we know it's likely that LVG is only here for a short while anyway. He has a three year contract, was given three years to win the league and has said his intention is to retire at the end of those three years.

So really what we're asking is whether it would be worth bringing his departure date forward a year if it means securing someone we'd consider to be an option for the longer term.

Of course that's assuming LVG is indeed only here for the short term and Pep would be here for the long haul, both of which may not prove to be true.

Tyrion

Yes I would. Guardiola is my dream manager and, unlike LVG, was my initial choice to replace SAF.
He can play a similar style to LVG except his is entertaining and he could help modernise United and bring it back to the level of Barcelona, Bayern and Real Madrid. A level we haven't been at in years.

LVG has improved us but it has been slow and too slow imo. We are very poor to watch and struggle for consistency. Hammering Everton one week, conceding 3 in one half against Arsenal the next and then going through 3 nil nils. We have issues with plan A while plan B is kick it long to Fellaini. His persistence with Rooney is annoying and the failure of the signing of ADM was very disappointing though it's hard to know how much blame is on LVG.

Basically Pep seems to be a younger, better version of LVG and I can't think of anything that he can't do just as well as LVG.

Also if we don't, he might well go to City and then we appoint Giggs. Just think about that scenario for a second.

Trizy

If it meant he was going to sign to another club then yes.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Just a bit of a daft question in my view as the majority of responses to exchanging a manager in their mid-60s who has a short time left for one in his mid-40s who has won the number of trophies Guardiola has would probably be in the affirmative.

Wenger, del Bosque, Scolari and others, the fans of those clubs would probably give the same answer.

Putting the stuff above aside, there's also the Giggs and City element. A lot wouldn't want to see Giggs be the next manager and wouldn't want to see Pep go to City either

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Not if LvG reach a top 3 position, then we can buy the last pieces of the puzzle in the summer and he can have a real go for the title.
Don't like the thought of sacking LvG just because everyones favourite Guardiola is available, it would be a lack of respect imo.

nick2004

No.

And this is not a good way of thinking.

Because:

1. You don't know if Pep is available.

2. You don't know if Pep is willing to come to Man Utd.

3. You don't know if Pep will actually do a better job than LVG.

MarkC

Tbf, this is a slightly different case in that we know it's likely that LVG is only here for a short while anyway. He has a three year contract, was given three years to win the league and has said his intention is to retire at the end of those three years.

So really what we're asking is whether it would be worth bringing his departure date forward a year if it means securing someone we'd consider to be an option for the longer term.

Of course that's assuming LVG is indeed only here for the short term and Pep would be here for the long haul, both of which may not prove to be true.
I see your point, maybe if the op had said this i'd have seen your argument but it just looks another thread for LVG bashing.

For me there is nobody out there that is guaranteed to do any better than LVG other than Sir Alex. We shouldn't be considering sacking our manager for a more fashionable one unless our current manager is seriously underachieving which isn't the case.

crimsonife

Yes if it's agreed on with him. However it will never be that clear cut and we might well end up with no one.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Yes. And I would have done so for Klopp too. But that doesn't mean I don't rate LVG or think he's failing in his allotted task or even think he's deserving of the sack on merit. I just think we deserve better and this is the world we live in.

Jammydodger7

No way! Theres not a huge difference in there style of play (the only reason to want to get rid of LVG) but mainly because Guardiola wont stay around for long! Plus he's a knob

pseudo_canadian

And start another rebuilding job? Too much of a risk in my opinion, what if Guardiolda is a complete failure and it sets us back again?

It's tempting, but LVG is building great foundations at United. He has made our defense and midfield very solid and will only continue to improve the attack. It is a slow process, but I believe the reward will be worth it in the end.

thelemon

I'd sack him at the end of the season in order to get Pep, but I wouldn't sack him half way through the season because then we'd have no manager.

Mr Smith

Probably not... I don't think their footballing philosophies are that different honestly (they both come from exactly the same school of thought) and I've always thought Guardiola's sides are a bit suspect defensively, which is something I really wouldn't want given the improvements Van Gaal has made in defence.

That said, I do believe that Guardiola would bring a better calibre of player in, as crazy as that sounds. And I certainly think he has an ability to get more out of an attacking talent than any other coach in the world. Maybe he'd be one to take over after Van Gaal leaves, (ie two years from now), which probably makes sense as I do think he's staying with Bayern at least another year. Actually, that probably would be the best option, as he seems like the kind of coach who could build on the foundations Van Gaal builds, and add a few finishing touches.

(Also, if we got Guardiola, we might get a couple of Bayern players in the bargain!)

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
If we could get Guardiola at the end of the season would you push LVG out the door a year early to make it happen?
Take it you mean Guardiola would be a certainty to join via some prior agreement. Because if things are hanging in the balance, and Pep is coy about his decision, doubt anyone would risk losing Van Gaal just to chase an obscure fantasy.

Now, if there were a hypothetical agreement between Pep and United, then the decision is pretty simple IMO. Guardiola is arguably the best manager in football, and more than 2 decades younger than Van Gaal. Whatever your opinion regarding his ability to handle a club in transition, one needs to remember that Lewandowski, Thiago, Costa, Kimmich, Rode, Coman, Alonso, Bernat, Götze, Vidal, Benatia hadn't played for Bayern Munich when he joined them. And he's had Martinez, Badstuber, Robben, Ribéry, Thiago out for extended periods with injury. Despite outward appearances, they are a club very much in a state of transition, and he's had to radically alter their playing style too.

It would make a lot of sense to appoint someone better, younger, and with a more recent record of titular success than Louis. It's fine talking about Van Gaal and his ability to build a team or lay the foundations, but one also needs to consider the alternatives when his contract does expire. Because he will have just 1 year remaining at the end of the season, and maybe he leaves for Portugal to "play golf, and eat fantastic food" (his words). What happens when you pass up the opportunity, Pep joins another club, and Van Gaal leaves in 2017? How smart will the decision to see out the process to completion look then?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Probably not... I don't think their footballing philosophies are that different honestly (they both come from exactly the same school of thought) and I've always thought Guardiola's sides are a bit suspect defensively, which is something I really wouldn't want given the improvements Van Gaal has made in defence.

That said, I do believe that Guardiola would bring a better calibre of player in, as crazy as that sounds. And I certainly think he has an ability to get more out of an attacking talent than any other coach in the world. Maybe he'd be one to take over after Van Gaal leaves, (ie two years from now), which probably makes sense as I do think he's staying with Bayern at least another year. Actually, that probably would be the best option, as he seems like the kind of coach who could build on the foundations Van Gaal builds, and add a few finishing touches.

(Also, if we got Guardiola, we might get a couple of Bayern players in the bargain!)
Could only see you getting Thiago from Bayern of Pep Guardiola joins united.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I don't think their footballing philosophies are that different honestly
They are very, very different in terms of implementation given that Cruyff and Van Gaal have very different ideologies when it comes to totaalveotbal.
I've always thought Guardiola's sides are a bit suspect defensively
Wut? Sorry but I feel compelled to post this emoticon for the first time: :houllier:

2008/ 2009: Barcelona had the best defensive record in the entire league, and conceded 1 goal per game in Europe.
2009/ 2010: Barcelona had the best defensive record in the entire league, and conceded 0.83 goals per game in Europe.
2010/ 2011: Barcelona had the best defensive record in the entire league, and conceded 0.75 goals per game in Europe.
2011/ 2012: Barcelona had the 2nd best defensive record in the entire league, and conceded 0.83 goals per game in Europe.

2013/ 2014: Bayern Munich had the best defensive record in the entire league, and conceded 1.08 goals per game in Europe.
2014/ 2015: Bayern Munich had the best defensive record in the entire league, and conceded 1.08 goals per game in Europe.
2015/ 2016: Bayern Munich have the best defensive record in the entire league, and have conceded 0.75 goals per game in Europe.

United is currently conceding 1 goal per game in Europe. The caveat here is that for Europe, Guadriola's stats include latter stages of the competition (semi-finals and onwards - vs Barcelona, Real Madrid, Internazionale which inflate the numbers because he never finished outside of the Top 4 in Europe), meaning much stronger opposition in the deep end of the competition. Barring anomalies, that's a brilliant defensive record for a coach that employs very attacking tactics as opposed to setting up in a cagey manner.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Then can be said that to keep the ball is the best defense. Would you sack Van Gaal @Invictus ?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It's kinda hard for a Guardiola team to concede when they've always got the ball.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Would you sack Van Gaal @Invictus ?
Yes, but only if Pep joining United was a certainty (like the arrangement Bayern had with him, before Heyneckes' contract wasn't renewed). I'd feel compelled to let Van Gaal go just from a qualitative standpoint, cruel and machiavellian as that may sound. Same goes for Ancelotti. Strictly professional decision mind, but I feel Guardiola and Ancelotti could take us to a level Louis can't, they both have won titles more recently, and have evidenced the ability to take over clubs in relative transition, especially when there's money to spare.