Would you sack LVG if it meant we could get Guardiola at the end of the season?

Would you sack LVG if it meant we could get Guardiola at the end of the season?

• Total voters

Devil may care

Yes, in a heartbeat. He's pretty much ideal to carry on the work LvG has put in place and he's a winning machine, plus it would knock any of the ridiculous Giggs stuff square on the head.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
How is it I'm already sick of both Mourinho and Guardiola being United manager when neither of them even have been yet?

izec

Should be sacked for the lacklustre and uninspiring brand of football, let alone when Pep is available. It is a no brainer.

I would sack him even now and let Giggs take charge for the rest of the season if it means we end up with Guardiola next season.
Not really

Andy_Cole

Should be sacked for the lacklustre and uninspiring brand of football, let alone when Pep is available. It is a no brainer.

I would sack him even now and let Giggs take charge for the rest of the season if it means we end up with Guardiola next season.
Not really
Andy Tate?

Edit: Just seen the white text!

prath92

we want to sack a manager performing well for the new toy in fashion currently. We are becoming Real Madrid.

FacerTheRed

Granted United dont play the most entertaining football at the moment but at the end of the day United are 2 points behind league leaders Man City, top of group B in the champions league & best defensive record in the premier league since last November. Talking complete nonsense and who ever ask for him sacked is got there head in the past. Football has evolved and its coming to a point that the best defense is a good offense. LVG is doing a decent job, he has turn that defense which was United's weakest area of the team and turning into United's strongest area. He has stabled this club and is creating a foundation with the upcoming youngsters coming through the ranks.

Some fans have to realize he's not at this club for the long run, he's here to do a job. To leave a foundation & stability with in the squad, so then someone like Guardiola or even Giggs (i hope not) to take over and come into a club where the youth is flowing into the first team mixed with talented individuals who has been brought in who wants to play for the badge and not entirely for the money. Lets be honest here, i think Guardiola would have had a dreadful time if he replaced Moyes because the squad was just be all over the place and with his track record i dont think Guardiola has ever experienced that kind of job where a club is in transition. So be grateful to LVG for what he has done because if he didnt came i think united would be a different situation tbh. United could be still mid-table or United would just buy mercenary players who only plays for the money and not for the badge and at the same time the youth system would become a graveyard like man city youth academy. I'm maybe over exaggerating, but i just remember where United was after the Moyes sacking, when LVG was appointed and then in a space of his two season reign he has shown progress.

Question234

It's not. It's the assumption that Guardiola is a better manager than Van Gaal which is wrong.
Nah,

I'm a fan of LVG's work but pep has clearly taken his philosophy and built on it, his teams are far more attacking than LVG's teams were, the off the ball movement is fantastic and there's a much heavier focus on counter pressing.

Pep's style is more modern, it's down to fans as whether they think that makes him the better manager.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

What happens a year down the line when LVG retires and Pep joins his next venture? We go with Giggs?
Hopefully not. In the ideal World Pep take 1 year off and we hire him when LvG's contract expire, if Pep isn't available there are other options.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Nah,

I'm a fan of LVG's work but pep has clearly taken his philosophy and built on it, his teams are far more attacking than LVG's teams were, the off the ball movement is fantastic and there's a much heavier focus on counter pressing.

Pep's style is more modern, it's down to fans as whether they think that makes him the better manager.
His style has been very dependent on having much better players than the opponent. Then it's easier to be more attacking. The two times he was up to equal players with Bayern he got hammered. So there's still a lot for him to achieve.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Depends on how LVG performs this season. If we were to get 2nd place, with very good signs of progression, it'd be incredibly harsh to sack him. But if we were to have a relatively average season, and Guardiola was available, then I'd consider it.

Spoony

The People's President
LVG's going to call it quits after next season, so if Pep becomes available next summer, surely we'd be crazy to over look him? I think so.

Last edited:

Spock

I disagree with that, our current manager's contract ends in 18 months and we should concentrate an important part of our energy to what we will do at the end of his contract or before.
The question put to the caf isn't whether to start to whether to start thinking about Van Gaal's successor but whether we should sack Van Gaal at the end of the season if Pep were available then. Those are two very different questions.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
If we could get Guardiola at the end of the season would you push LVG out the door a year early to make it happen?
No. Wait another year and get Poch instead.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The question put to the caf isn't whether to start to whether to start thinking about Van Gaal's successor but whether we should sack Van Gaal at the end of the season if Pep were available then. Those are two very different questions.
Which correspond to, what do we do with Van gaal succession? It's the same question.

The difference is that the OP proposed a scenario.

Sigma

It's a little easier when you have the likes of Robben, Muller, Ribery, Lewandowski, Costa and the likes as your attacking options. We clearly don't have the squad as of right now to play very attacking football.

Except it isn't and hasn't been for several months, why do people keep insisting and telling themselves this is what happens when Fellaini comes on?
We have spent a hell of a lot of money in the past few years. You would think we would have players of that ilk with the amount we have spent. I'm not saying van Gaal has done a bad job, I think he has done pretty well on the results front, but I think overall guardiola will be better.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
We have spent a hell of a lot of money in the past few years. You would think we would have players of that ilk with the amount we have spent. I'm not saying van Gaal has done a bad job, I think he has done pretty well on the results front, but I think overall guardiola will be better.
Fair enough, I just think there's some exaggeration going on over the difference in abilities of the two managers.

VP

We should hire Guardiola 8 years after LVG leaves. Apparently that's when the seeds that LVG has sown will bear fruit and allow Guardiola to properly build on the foundations.

Question234

His style has been very dependent on having much better players than the opponent. Then it's easier to be more attacking. The two times he was up to equal players with Bayern he got hammered. So there's still a lot for him to achieve.
The same applies for LVG's time at bayern, he had real quality to work with, also his first stint at barca. LVG has never had teams playing the way Pep's bayern/barca do.

I think LVG is better at building a team and making do without talent but there are traits to Pep's style that make it unique, it isnt just quality players.

Someone

Something
When fergie announced he was retiring the first time, he noticed the performance of the players started to drop, footballers just don't work hard enough for a manager they know he's leaving, that's why when they even since he's about to get sacked the same thing happens, and that's why the second time fergie decided to retire he waited till the league was won.

Point is, we should not allow van gaal to spend his last year here, it won't be good for the team, we should either sack him at the end of the season or give him an extension. Personally i think if pep is available we should go for him.

LARulz

Guardiola was never my first choice but he is one of the few top names out there. He would attract a lot of players and build from Van Gaal rather than scrap it entirely for a new thing which I think is key

Also we absolutely cannot allow City to get him. We would have very few top class choices if he did't come.

arthurka

If he becomes available we should go for him.. Plus he is much younger than LVG. Players want to play for him and he gets results. Götze left Dortmund for him. City with all their money could get any player with Pep at the helm..

lilcurt

Yes, put quite simply.

He is probably the best manager in the world at the moment, longs for the premier league and is known to have an affection to the club.

This shouldnt even be a debate as LVG will be gone in 18 months either way and missing this guy for the sake 12 months of LVG would be criminal.

onlyoneunited

Not a chance in hell.

Ask yourselves, why do you want Guardiola?

Can't be because of the way teams play under him as they are just as, if not more boring to watch. feck me if he brought tiki taka to us it might finally kill off all love I have of watching football.

Can't be because of club history or identity, just look at how he is ripping Bayern apart and replacing the German hero's with Spanish ones.

Is it just about winning the league? Cause that would be the only reason, and great as it would be it sure as hell would be from playing boring tumescent shit. In which case you might as well stick with Van Gaal, cause he will win the league, you can see the clear progression in the team. Maybe not this year, but he will.

If we wanted another manager, then it should have been Klopp.

Spock

Which correspond to, what do we do with Van gaal succession? It's the same question.

The difference is that the OP proposed a scenario.
The first question asks whether we should sack Van Gaal if it meant getting Guardiola while he was gettable. For me the answer is clearly no. You don't sack a manager who's doing quite well, whiche LvG is, just because someone else is available. That's cvntish and it's the kind of stunt Chelsea would pull.

Now, if the question is whether we should bring in Guardiola when Van Gaal's contract is up, I'd go for it. He's a proven winner as a manager and has a big enough reputation to bring in top players. I can't think of any other manager I'd rather bring in. Definitely not Mourinho (although at the time I thought Mourinho would have been a fantastic successor to Ferguson), probably not Ancelotti (been there and done that too many times), definitely not Benitez (no explanation required) and not Klopp (you can't go from Liverpool to United). Simeone and Koeman would be intriguing.

There is a more pressing and difficult question we should be asking, which is whether it makes any sense to let LVG go into his last season as a "lame duck", so to speak, as Ferguson did going into a season about a decade before he actually retired. It didn't work out well for Ferguson that season and may not work out that well for Van Gaal. I don't know what the right answer is to that question. All we know right now is that Van Gaal is in the second year of his contract, he has the club looking up and not down and we'll have to cross the bridge of his future with United next summer, not now.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The first question asks whether we should sack Van Gaal if it meant getting Guardiola while he was gettable. For me the answer is clearly no. You don't sack a manager who's doing quite well, whiche LvG is, just because someone else is available. That's cvntish and it's the kind of stunt Chelsea would pull.

Now, if the question is whether we should bring in Guardiola when Van Gaal's contract is up, I'd go for it. He's a proven winner as a manager and has a big enough reputation to bring in top players. I can't think of any other manager I'd rather bring in. Definitely not Mourinho (although at the time I thought Mourinho would have been a fantastic successor to Ferguson), probably not Ancelotti (been there and done that too many times), definitely not Benitez (no explanation required) and not Klopp (you can't go from Liverpool to United). Simeone and Koeman would be intriguing.

There is a more pressing and difficult question we should be asking, which is whether it makes any sense to let LVG go into his last season as a "lame duck", so to speak, as Ferguson did going into a season about a decade before he actually retired. It didn't work out well for Ferguson that season and may not work out that well for Van Gaal. I don't know what the right answer is to that question. All we know right now is that Van Gaal is in the second year of his contract, he has the club looking up and not down and we'll have to cross the bridge of his future with United next summer, not now.
So you were wrong and it was necessary to use your mental energy.:p

Spock

So you were wrong and it was necessary to use your mental energy.:p
Got me there!

Definitely to ask what to do about LVG...stick to the current plan on him stepping down at the end of next season or possibly lengthen his contract?

But definitely not to begin plotting his sacking so that we snatch a "better" manager.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Not a chance in hell.

Ask yourselves, why do you want Guardiola?

Can't be because of the way teams play under him as they are just as, if not more boring to watch. feck me if he brought tiki taka to us it might finally kill off all love I have of watching football.

Can't be because of club history or identity, just look at how he is ripping Bayern apart and replacing the German hero's with Spanish ones.

Is it just about winning the league? Cause that would be the only reason, and great as it would be it sure as hell would be from playing boring tumescent shit. In which case you might as well stick with Van Gaal, cause he will win the league, you can see the clear progression in the team. Maybe not this year, but he will.

If we wanted another manager, then it should have been Klopp.
I'd imagine those who want Guardiola want him because he's, you know, an incredibly successful manager and one of the best in the game.

I wasn't always a massive fan of tiki-taka at times, but when his Barca side clicked and players like Messi, Xavi and Iniesta performed they could be brilliant to watch.

I don't get the club identity part about Bayern: he's perfectly entitled to replace German players with Spanish ones if he feels they are good signings. Considering he's continually winning the league, I don't think it's particularly harming them.

Saying LVG will win the league is a very bold statement. He probably won't win it this year, as you've said yourself, and he's not going to stay beyond 2017. It's hardly a certainty that we'll win it then.

For what it's worth, I'd be very hesitant to sack LVG for Guardiola if we continue to progress under LVG, but I don't see why it's daft for us to want someone as successful as Guardiola.

walkinhop

Not this again.
What? I don't like him. I don't rate him as high as others too. His players have impressed me but then again, this is why i expect from them. I don't think he is that good at building a team, this is all. He might prove me wrong but hasn't done it so far. Future will tell.