Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redsunited

Already we are out of top 4 race by November. 12 matches - 16 points. This season will be the worst in United's premier League history with finishing less than 64 points.

We missed the opportunity to get Pep and Klopp. Hope we don't miss out on Poch. Don't see any better manager and that too someone who knows PL well.

chromepaxos

Honestly would prefer Allegri to Poch. He has a decade of winning titles with multiple clubs under his belt. Poch, not so much.

Wilt

With Poch in limbo, like it or not the pressure on Ole is now intense. Every time points dropped...

passing-wind

If I'm Woodward is be first thing in the morning asking Ole what his contingency is. What's the point persistent with Solskjaer when Poch is available. Poch will do more with this team than anything Ole can achieve.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
about Ole starting to turn things around? I agree it would be little harsh since we stuck with him when things were terrible and now better and he gets sacked, but I’m still in the Ole out camp, and he still had that terrible run, we don’t know if he’ll completely turn it around, or another false dawn..

Not going to lie, I’m impressed by the team in the last few matches, but I’m very aware about how many times we thought it’s turned around, when it actually didn’t..

By the way, no matter how unimpressed I am by the manager, I never wish to lose just to sack him.. also if we lose and sack him, we won’t have a chance to qualify for the cl (if we drop a lot in the league, or get knocked out in Europa), so even if we lose and Ole (or anyone else) gets sacked, we’d still be in a bad situation..
We had these little runs under Moyes, and just like with Ole, they always happened when we had a mix of EPl, Europe, and Cup fixtures and relatively easy teams.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Sack him and sign Poch. We always go on about how much Ole loves the club, surely he knows Poch is a better manager than him shouldn't he want whats best for the club after all?
I think there's still 1 or 2 threads you haven't posted this in in the last 30 minutes

momo83

Massive Snowflake
If Ole gets sacked in the coming months and is replaced by Poch. You watch the difference in the press and certain pundits treatment to Poch compared to end easy ride Ole gets

edgar allan

Already we are out of top 4 race by November. 12 matches - 16 points. This season will be the worst in United's premier League history with finishing less than 64 points.

We missed the opportunity to get Pep and Klopp. Hope we don't miss out on Poch. Don't see any better manager and that too someone who knows PL well.
How was Poch getting on in the race for the top 4 in Nov?

Rish Sawhney

If I'm Woodward is be first thing in the morning asking Ole what his contingency is. What's the point persistent with Solskjaer when Poch is available. Poch will do more with this team than anything Ole can achieve.
I'm actually a big fan of Poch but thats a laughable assertion. For all we know Ole might turn out to be a serial winner long term and Spurs might be the high point of Poch's career.

passing-wind

I'm actually a big fan of Poch but thats a laughable assertion. For all we know Ole might turn out to be a serial winner long term and Spurs might be the high point of Poch's career.
That's even more bemusing, 10 years in management and Ole's biggest competitive achievement is relegation with Cardiff. The only way Solskjaer will be a success is if all the decent prem managers go abroad and are replaced with the ones in Norway...

momo83

Massive Snowflake
That's even more bemusing, 10 years in management and Ole's biggest competitive achievement is relegation with Cardiff. The only way Solskjaer will be a success is if all the decent prem managers go abroad and are replaced with the ones in Norway...
Hey. There’s still a chance Lingard can be the next Messi

DoomSlayer

Ole's actually won stuff. Pochettino has nothing on his CV, literally nothing when it comes to trophies.

Eddy_JukeZ

Ole's actually won stuff. Pochettino has nothing on his CV, literally nothing when it comes to trophies.
Getting to a CL final with Spurs is worth 10x if not more than winning a league title with Molde.

Not all league titles are equal.

Poch's CV is greater than Ole's easily.

He has proven success in a top league.

Ole has relegation in that same league and now us floundering for a mid-table scrap.

el3mel

I might also become a mod at Caf. Dreams are fun.

10 years of management in football and he spent the majority of them at Norway, with his only top flight job being at Cardiff. After that no one touched him till us.

You may not know it but Ole is younger than Poch by one year and got his first big job after Poch got his by 2 years only. They are currently at the same peirod of their career and we both knew who has been better.

DoomSlayer

Getting to a CL final with Spurs is worth 10x if not more than winning a league title with Molde.

Not all league titles are equal.

Poch's CV is greater than Ole's easily.

He has proven success in a top league.

Ole has relegation in that same league and now us floundering for a mid-table scrap.
Molde had never won anything in their history, ever. They also were not financially competitive to the other top teams in Norway, yet Ole was still successful there.

Marcus

Let's wait and see. I like what I have seen recently. If there is a sustained turnaround and we finish well, I would say keep.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

Molde had never won anything in their history, ever. They also were not financially competitive to the other top teams in Norway, yet Ole was still successful there.
They're doing just fine without him at the moment and won a title recently without him.

It's a nonsensical argument.

League titles with Molde pale in comparison to getting to the final of a CL with Tottenham.

passing-wind

Ole's won stuff but has nothing to show for it managerially. Poch hasn't won anything but has achieved more success than Solskjaer within his career. Has Ole despite winning "stuff" ever been linked to a job any top European powerhouse or any decent team of note ? Winning "stuff" doesn't dictate that one manager is better than the next, Di Matteo won the UCL with Chelsea are you going to tell me he was a better than Poch ? If the basis of an argument is that trophies are all that's important then tell me why Mourinho is currently unemployed and why he was a failure here ? Poch is a better manager and has achieved more in his career than Ole.

DoomSlayer

They're doing just fine without him at the moment and won a title recently without him.

It's a nonsensical argument.

League titles with Molde pale in comparison to getting to the final of a CL with Tottenham.
Well you could say Ole build the foundation for them to be truly successful. I doubt Pochettino would have been able to achieve that.
Ole's won stuff but has nothing to show for it managerially. Poch hasn't won anything but has achieved more success than Solskjaer within his career. Has Ole despite winning "stuff" ever been linked to a job any top European powerhouse or any decent team of note ? Winning "stuff" doesn't dictate that one manager is better than the next, Di Matteo won the UCL with Chelsea are you going to tell me he was a better than Poch ? If the basis of an argument is that trophies are all that's important then tell my Mourinho is currently unemployed and why he was a failure here. Poch is a better manager and has achieved more in his career than Ole.
Solskjaer won back to back league titles and a domestic trophy. You can't do that on pure luck like Di Matteo. Like it or not, Ole has won trophies in professional football, unlike Pochettino who has just been sacked for failing to bring Spurs into the next level.

ash_86

I'd wait till end of season to see where we stand. We have started to see our team take shape, there are partnerships forming across the pitch and the dressing room seems harmonious currently. The players are running their hearts out every game and wants to be here and succeed. The recruiting has been very good so is the introduction of new players like Brandon.

Change in management is the absolute worse we could now and can spoil the dressing room. Also it's better for potch to take a break after being at a club for 5 and half years. He needs to take some time away and refresh his mind.

SteveW

We had these little runs under Moyes, and just like with Ole, they always happened when we had a mix of EPl, Europe, and Cup fixtures and relatively easy teams.
Moyes took over the champions. Ole is trying to rebuild a mess. Surely you can understand the differing contexts ffs.

SteveW

Won the league in Norway. Got Molde through a very difficult Europa League group. Those are better achievements than being relegated with Cardiff. What's with all the disingenuous comments on here today?

nainaisson

Just reaching the CL final with Spurs is worth more than winning the Norwegian domestic league 10 times in a row.

I'm not enthusiastic about replacing Ole with Pochettino, but, come on, some of the stuff I'm reading here is ridiculous.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Moyes took over the champions. Ole is trying to rebuild a mess. Surely you can understand the differing contexts ffs.
I wouldn't waste your energy. Some of them just have some homo-erotica fantasy about Poch. A manager who seems to offer 'beautiful' looking football and yet won nothing. Might as well look at Chris Wilder, Nuno Santo etc.

Many players and managers have failed because they are unable to handle the pressure and expectations that come with playing/managing United. What has Poch done so for that proves that he can? Afterall, in Poch's words 'winning isnt everything.'

Would the fans here handle United winning nothing after 5 years? Only being able to brag about being in the CL Finals?

Its such a silly thread, full of people who can't see what the strategy Ole is implementing. Its full of are just simple Poch fanbois, knee jerkers etc.

Short term view tactically minded folks. No grand strategists amongst them.

The question is whether this grand strategy will be properly executed with the right results is the question --- and that will not be answered for another couple of seasons.

SteveW

I wouldn't waste your energy. Some of them just have some homo-erotica fantasy about Poch. A manager who seems to offer 'beautiful' looking football and yet won nothing. Might as well look at Chris Wilder, Nuno Santo etc.

Many players and managers have failed because they are unable to handle the pressure and expectations that come with playing/managing United. What has Poch done so for that proves that he can? Afterall, in Poch's words 'winning isnt everything.'

Would the fans here handle United winning nothing after 5 years? Only being able to brag about being in the CL Finals?

Its such a silly thread, full of people who can't see what the strategy Ole is implementing. Its full of are just simple Poch fanbois, knee jerkers etc.

Short term view tactically minded folks. No grand strategists amongst them.

The question is whether this grand strategy will be properly executed with the right results is the question --- and that will not be answered for another couple of seasons.
I'm a bit of a Poch fanboy to be honest. There's a lot to like. He's a good manager and a good man.

But I also really like a lot of what's happening under Solskjaer. I can see the ethos of coaching and playing staff changing for the better. There's a workrate and honesty there that's been missing since SAF. The players are playing for the shirt again. We are building around a group of really pacey exciting young attackers. We are obviously a couple of signings away from playing consistently good football as the midfield group is incredibly weak and the fringe players are nowhere near United standard. Our squad is simply too small. That was never going to be fixed in one transfer window.

One of Poch's biggest attributes is his ability to improve individual players, especially young players. I'm seeing some similarities with Ole. He's the first manager to use Rashford and Martial properly. McTomminay, Fred and Pereira are somehow starting to look like a midfied that can hold their own in the premier league. That to me seems miraculous considering how bad Fred and Andreas have been up until recently.

Probably most importantly all of his signings have been spot on. If we are to get back to the top we simply can't afford to sign more problems. Every AWB or James we sign brings us a step closer to where we need to be. Outside of Martial and Pogba we'd hardly signed a player who's really improved us since SAF left. We've made around 15 awful signings over the last 6/7 years. That's shocking and it's exactly why we are such a mess right now. I'm relieved to finally have a manager who seems to take a conscientious approach to signing players and doesn't pull the trigger unless he's absolutely sure they are good enough and more importantly have the right personality and motivation to play here. It will take time but this is literally the only way out of this mess.

I also have no idea what all those people criticising his tactics are seeing. He's taken down several better teams already showing every inch of the tactic big game cuteness that Mourinho was lauded for. Since we could get James, Martial and Rashford on the pitch together we've started brushing aside the smaller teams too. All that's left is to start breaking down teams that park the bus. This will happen as we improve the quality of the creative section of the team. We need to stop trying to pretend it's Ole's fault that nothing players like Periera, Lingard and Mata can't break down defenses.

We're better than we were at the start of the season. And we're closer to phasing out players like Young, Matic, Mata and Lingard. If we can continue to gradually improve as the season goes on and also make 4/5 good signings over the next couple of windows we will be in a great position.

Halftrack

Won the league in Norway. Got Molde through a very difficult Europa League group. Those are better achievements than being relegated with Cardiff. What's with all the disingenuous comments on here today?
I get not thinking Ole has what it takes to succeed, that's completely fair, there are a lot of question marks regarding his ability as a manager at this level. But the way some are talking about him, belittling his achievements and generally just making him out to be a clueless clown is shameful.

ash_86

I'm a bit of a Poch fanboy to be honest. There's a lot to like. He's a good manager and a good man.

But I also really like a lot of what's happening under Solskjaer. I can see the ethos of coaching and playing staff changing for the better. There's a workrate and honesty there that's been missing since SAF. The players are playing for the shirt again. We are building around a group of really pacey exciting young attackers. We are obviously a couple of signings away from playing consistently good football as the midfield group is incredibly weak and the fringe players are nowhere near United standard. Our squad is simply too small. That was never going to be fixed in one transfer window.

One of Poch's biggest attributes is his ability to improve individual players, especially young players. I'm seeing some similarities with Ole. He's the first manager to use Rashford and Martial properly. McTomminay, Fred and Pereira are somehow starting to look like a midfied that can hold their own in the premier league. That to me seems miraculous considering how bad Fred and Andreas have been up until recently.

Probably most importantly all of his signings have been spot on. If we are to get back to the top we simply can't afford to sign more problems. Every AWB or James we sign brings us a step closer to where we need to be. Outside of Martial and Pogba we'd hardly signed a player who's really improved us since SAF left. We've made around 15 awful signings over the last 6/7 years. That's shocking and it's exactly why we are such a mess right now. I'm relieved to finally have a manager who seems to take a conscientious approach to signing players and doesn't pull the trigger unless he's absolutely sure they are good enough and more importantly have the right personality and motivation to play here. It will take time but this is literally the only way out of this mess.

I also have no idea what all those people criticising his tactics are seeing. He's taken down several better teams already showing every inch of the tactic big game cuteness that Mourinho was lauded for. Since we could get James, Martial and Rashford on the pitch together we've started brushing aside the smaller teams too. All that's left is to start breaking down teams that park the bus. This will happen as we improve the quality of the creative section of the team. We need to stop trying to pretend it's Ole's fault that nothing players like Periera, Lingard and Mata can't break down defenses.

We're better than we were at the start of the season. And we're closer to phasing out players like Young, Matic, Mata and Lingard. If we can continue to gradually improve as the season goes on and also make 4/5 good signings over the next couple of windows we will be in a great position.
Good post. We absolutely cannot derail the project at this time when things are starting to take shape.

AkaAkuma

Well said.

Rish Sawhney

I know you speculate but this thought is a :lol:
I don't get why this is laughable at all. Our mistake ever since SAF retired has been that we had a good club structure that we dismantled for managerial appointment (Moyes) that had no clue how to work with the existing structure. From then on both LvG and Jose complained that we had no structure. I submit that we should have promoted from within maybe Bring Ole in or Make Joyce or Phelan the manager from the get go. Bringing in Poch does nothing but put us back at square one. We'll be 3 years along stuck in the same limbo of 4-6th place and then he'll be fired for the next flavour of the month. What we have always needed is someone who works within the structure and give them a few years to build a team. And Ole has been doing that.

People criticize Ole for letting big names go to the detriment of this season, but why look from season to season? Manchester united will be here 3 years on as well and a couple of seasons of growing pains will be very good for the development of our young talent. Who cares if we finish 4th or 14th this season? Even SAF had to finish 11th, 12th and 13th before he could win the league. Why this weird attitude of instant gratification?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Nail on head.

Some people are struck with the grass always greener syndrome. The lastest flash thing. This is precisely why married men stray.

We all know what the issue was at United. We need to clear out the hodgepodge of players, change the age profile of the squad and then play with a United DNA again. I can see signs of it but it will take multiple steps. and so far his 1st big step has been a success. Ascertain the key issue (given the limitations he has financially.) I am sure that Woodward had imposed limitations as a test to Ole too. No more 200million quid type free-spending like in the past.

Then fix it -- look at the three players he has brought in.

With a bit more trust I think Woodward will loosen the purse strings though it will not be like in the past since Ole will bring in generally younger, cheaper players. Plus the financial hit of not being in the CL again.

I Am Zlatan

Yup! That’s why I’m still in Ole out camp, until proven otherwise.

redsunited

How was Poch getting on in the race for the top 4 in Nov?
He did well in all previous seasons except one. You are holding flag for a manager who has done nothing.
If you want a manager who has not had a bad season, you should look at different sports, not football.

redsunited

Let's wait and see. I like what I have seen recently. If there is a sustained turnaround and we finish well, I would say keep.
I had this faith too many times and won't do that again.
Just because we won against 2 poor teams in last 3 matches we are at a giddy high of 7th place. I wouldnt be surprised after next 4 games, we will be in bottom half of the table.

Ace of Spades

He did well in all previous seasons except one. You are holding flag for a manager who has done nothing.
If you want a manager who has not had a bad season, you should look at different sports, not football.
Instead of telling other people what to do, maybe you need to get a clue yourself. Ole has not done nothing, he has won the league in Norway, and Poch has failed in Spain and now again. So, he has now officialy failed more than Ole. His 'achievements' are nothing worth boasting about as well, as according to him the signings and scouting is done by other people, and not him. And taking a club like Spurs from a top 6 club to a top 4 club is not some amazing achievement.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I don't get why this is laughable at all. Our mistake ever since SAF retired has been that we had a good club structure that we dismantled for managerial appointment (Moyes) that had no clue how to work with the existing structure. From then on both LvG and Jose complained that we had no structure. I submit that we should have promoted from within maybe Bring Ole in or Make Joyce or Phelan the manager from the get go. Bringing in Poch does nothing but put us back at square one. We'll be 3 years along stuck in the same limbo of 4-6th place and then he'll be fired for the next flavour of the month. What we have always needed is someone who works within the structure and give them a few years to build a team. And Ole has been doing that.

People criticize Ole for letting big names go to the detriment of this season, but why look from season to season? Manchester united will be here 3 years on as well and a couple of seasons of growing pains will be very good for the development of our young talent. Who cares if we finish 4th or 14th this season? Even SAF had to finish 11th, 12th and 13th before he could win the league. Why this weird attitude of instant gratification?
It's not about instant gratification. It's about seeing the obvious and the obvious is that Ole Is out of his depth. He's not going to be another SAF. No one is going to be a SAF. Get with reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.