Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manunited1919

If Ole gets the team to play well against the lower level teams, many here will change their votes. But it may take some time to find the team setup and consistency we need, and perhaps a couple of extra players. It seems Ole will get some time, at least until the end of the season. I do hope that’s enough time to prove he can manage MUFC, it’s a huge challenge.

troylocker

Good win for Ole and the team today, credit where its due! In the long run i think we need someone better but lets enjoy this evening :D
Fair play to you! I’ve been on you a couple of times in other threads, but nice to see this post from you. Made my day. Enjoy!

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
That's a fecking absurd record. Though, it should be easier to figure out how to beat the lesser teams than it does to beat the big teams. IIRC Poch had 6/30 vs the big teams so they are like the polar opposite. If we somehow could combine Poch and Ole we would get the perfect manager
It's simple to work out. When we're playing possession-based attack-minded teams we are at our best. The pace of our front 3 is insane which hurts these type of teams. We come unstuck when teams hold a deep block and defend in numbers when pure pace is not much of a tool. Really need a quality number 10 and attacking consistency from full-backs to unlock tight defences.

Last edited:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'll repeat what's been repeated many times here and by pundits. Playing youth will always bring inconsistency. Basically, patience is the key until it all starts to click with the help of a few experienced players and this group of young players getting more games.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
14/18 points against chelsea, leicester, arsenal, liverpool, spurs and city
10/30 points against wolves, palace, southampton, west ham, newcastle, norwich, bournemouth, brighton, sheff utd and aston villa

So it's pretty simple, if we keep this form going through the next four games, three of which should be bankers (Everton H, Watford A, Newcastle H, Burnley A), then Ole will have bought himself the January transfer window and the rest of the season to stake his claim.
There are other factors I know but part of it maybe is the 'bigger' clubs push up and attack us which creates space/opportunity to counter.

We struggle with some of the ones who sit back in numbers (which City are ok with due to individual players/passing in tight spaces) then get done by a moment (Wolves). Not all games maybe but we need to find a way against packed defences.... stretch the pitch, better/quicker passing.

matt10000

It's simple to work out. When we're playing possession-based attack-minded teams we are our best. The pace of our front 3 is insane which hurts these type of teams. We come unstuck when teams hold a deep block and defend in numbers when pure pace is not much of a tool. Really need a quality number 10 and attacking consistency from full-backs to unlock tight defences.
I agree it is this simple.

We need a top class creative player. Sell Pogba and buy one simple.

We need to strngth in depth over next few windows bit in a couple of years time this squad will mature.

Masskh

I say it again, I am pretty sure if we win EL, be in top 4 and winning FA cup, sack percentage would not drop bellow 30.

RedMilo

Wow 52% are saying they would prefer us to sack Solskjaer!!! You've really got to ask yourself, what you expect as a supporter. We have no devine right to win any football match. Yes the world and his dog can see we are better counter attacking side against better quality opposition who actually come forward against us, but you cant ignore the fact, we have the youngest (or one of the youngest) squads in the league, and are going to evolve and get better with experiences. Since SAF, we have had 3 different managers want to take us in 3 very different directions and its left us having spent an absolute fortune with nothing but an unbalanced squad to show for it. OGS has come in and looked to instil a culture in keeping with the MUFC history, its not perfect (nowhere near) but boy am I excited about whats to come over the next few years. Surely everyone must be able to see that ??? Back him people, what's the worst that can happen....

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
5th after 16 games with this squad and injuries. Top of our Europa league group, quarter final of League Cup and people would have him sacked tomorrow?:lol:

Rista

After a couple of good wins people are in disbelief that the majority of the votes are still for sack and yet these same posters accuse others of being "knee jerk" for wanting a poorly performing manager gone. Talk about knee jerk. Hopefully these wins are something we can build on but this is hardly the first time we got good result against a good side, I'm not getting my hopes up yet. Big game performances have never really been our problem, even under previous two managers.

Acole9

Outstanding
The sad thing is there's probably fans on this forum that hoped we'd lose and are disappointed and won't enjoy the buzz of this win.

lysglimt

Scout
But did you change your mind to sack when we had only won 28% of the last 30 games? Most managers would have been sacked with that record.

We have still put in some very poor performances recently. The last two have been great, but people are not going to jump to keep knowing we have played terribly in the two games before these.

We have not put the bad performances to bed. We have played poorly in 3 of the last 4 Premier League games before these two. It is not enough to change people's minds.

The last two matches have shown a lot of promise, but there needs to be far more of those games to follow.
No - I have backed him all the time - been ridiculed quite a bit for it as well. My Point being - if you back him for 10 matches, and then change your vote to sack after 2 poor games (neither which we lost) - wouldn't it make sense to change it back to keep after our last 2 games ?

Every team have poor performances - the difference being now compared to earlier, is that we are not losing even when we have been poor. And - most important of all - there are 11 players on the pitch who work their socks off for the manager. That to me is the main difference between keep and sack. If the players turn on the manager - he has to go. If they work their socks off for him - they will usually turn it around.

Withnail

No - I have backed him all the time - been ridiculed quite a bit for it as well. My Point being - if you back him for 10 matches, and then change your vote to sack after 2 poor games (neither which we lost) - wouldn't it make sense to change it back to keep after our last 2 games ?

Every team have poor performances - the difference being now compared to earlier, is that we are not losing even when we have been poor. And - most important of all - there are 11 players on the pitch who work their socks off for the manager. That to me is the main difference between keep and sack. If the players turn on the manager - he has to go. If they work their socks off for him - they will usually turn it around.
The thing is if you look at the underlying stats, while the team have struggled with consistency, there has been an upturn in performances over the past number of games.

It just seems like people have become so invested in Ole Out they can't see the improvements.

Having said that the team is not the finished article and there will still be inconsistent performances and bad days before gaps are plugged.

Rista

People said the same near the end of Mourinho’s reign. I call bollox on that.
I see this theory popping up on the forum with zero evidence of this being a thing. Seems like projection to me. "These people didn't think the manager was good enough, they must hate that we won".

I see this theory popping up on the forum with zero evidence of this being a thing. Seems like projection to me. "These people didn't think the manager was good enough, they must hate that we won".
Aye, it’s beyond bizarre. I said after Villa that the club should be talking to the likes of Poch, but I desperately wanted us to beat Spurs & City, as I’m sure did all of our fans and I’ve really enjoyed this week.
Ole has earned himself time, and whilst I’m still not convinced he’s the right man long term I’m happy he’s done it, good on him. I desperately hope he continues to earn himself time & prove me wrong.

saivet

d
Aye, it’s beyond bizarre. I said after Villa that the club should be talking to the likes of Poch, but I desperately wanted us to beat Spurs & City, as I’m sure did all of our fans and I’ve really enjoyed this week.
Ole has earned himself time, and whilst I’m still not convinced he’s the right man long term I’m happy he’s done it, good on him. I desperately hope he continues to earn himself time & prove me wrong.
I'm exactly the same. Hope we bring in Poch (or someone else) by the start of next season, but buzzing with the results vs Spurs and was very happy today despite missing the game.

It's the same with players, I might not rate certain players and may think they should be sold, but if they are playing I want them to put a big chance away as much as the other players.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Massive win. Players are starting to believe and it’s marvelous. I wouldn’t want Ole sacked for the life of me. And as Rashford says, get behind the manager and trust the process. We have to have bad times to get to the good times.

Withnail

You may not have seen them but, to be fair there were posts from clowns who said they were hoping we'd lose, against mourinhos Spurs especially, so that Ole would be fired sooner.

ManchesterYoda

I just changed my vote to "KEEP". First reason is we've definitely been playing better in recent weeks. Second reason is I don't want "Poch" under any circumstances.

Tyrion

After a win ?
1-1 Liverpool
3-1 Norwich
0-1 Bournemouth
3-1 Brighton
3-3 Sheffield U
2-2 Aston Villa
2-1 Tottenham
2-1 Man City

Does a manager deserve to get sacked after that ?

We have won 4 out of 7
We have scored 12 goals in the last 5
We have beaten Chelsea, Tottenham and City
We should have beaten both Arsenal and Liverpool
Well frankly I wouldn't have appointed him as permanent manager in the first place. For me it's not about sacking him, it's about getting Poch who's better. We don't keep players who are 'ok' when we can get better ones. If Mbappe was available would we turn him down because Martial was good today? I wouldn't. Managers are the same imo.

Anyway, you can pick that period of time but we've also lost to Newcastle, Crystal Palace and West Ham and drawn with Rochdale, Southampton and Alkhmar. Not to mention the bad run at the end of last season.

He's obviously good at setting the team up against big teams and struggles against the rest. The results this week back that up. But I don't see how on earth he's qualified to rebuild the team.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
The players are clearly behind Ole.
What has been worked on is bearing fruit finally.
Most importantly Fred and Mct and forming a very effective partnership.
Of course Rashford, James and Martial are causing a lot of problems for the opposition.

When Pogba is back we will have a very formidable midfield.

I fully expect us to beat the scousers next month.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Yeah what we need is Ole to show that he can actually set a team up to dominate lesser opponents.

Managers that know how to frustrate big teams are really ten-a-penny in the history of the Premier League. The difference Ole has to most of them is that he's currently doing it with a top six side.

But he has to show far more than just underdog counterattacks to be worthy of the United job.
That’s something we need to be weary of becoming.

NWRed

The players are clearly behind Ole.
What has been worked on is bearing fruit finally.
Most importantly Fred and Mct and forming a very effective partnership.
Of course Rashford, James and Martial are causing a lot of problems for the opposition.

When Pogba is back we will have a very formidable midfield.

I fully expect us to beat the scousers next month.
Who do you drop to bring Pogba back in though?

Giggsyking

I will keep my sack vote, until he proves he can be consistent and break up shitty teams. Only then I would change my vote to keep.

Strelok

Yeah what we need is Ole to show that he can actually set a team up to dominate lesser opponents.

Managers that know how to frustrate big teams are really ten-a-penny in the history of the Premier League. The difference Ole has to most of them is that he's currently doing it with a top six side.

But he has to show far more than just underdog counterattacks to be worthy of the United job.
I've been thinking about this for a while and my two cents is breaking lesser opponents who park the bus generally down to:
- Having creative, flair attackers who can create chances. Or case with Liverpool, 2 FB with great crosses.
- Having players with great technical abilities to retain possession in crowded ground.
- Having dominant center forward or strikers with great goal score instinct.
- Know how to press and tactical fouling when possession is lost.

So in short the issue is not as much tactical as it's about quality. Tactic generally makes a big difference only when you play against bigger opponents. When you play against lesser opponents it's almost down to the attack quality you have. Your opponent will park the bus for a draw anyway.

Ole has beaten bigger opponents on a regular basis so tactic must not be an issue for him as some posters here usually moan about. We simply just need more quality in attack, that's why Real Madrid, Barcelona or any big team always spend ridiculously on the best attackers I guess.

Last edited:

meamth

I'm starting to believe that the newspaper news about inside united players asking for patience and not sack ole is a real news.

During the press conference today the stuff mentioned from Rashford, Mctominay, about cultural changes, believe in the manager, etc.

I think the players really wanted Ole to stay.

So why would we want him to be sacked?

waza7111

Our next 4 league games are against Everton, Watford, Newcastle and Burnley. These are teams who we should be beating but we have struggled against them this season.

If we manage to win all 4 games I'll say we're making progress.

James Ward

Unless United are comfortably in the top four I won't be happy. I see some improvement but the players will probably start giving 50% effort against lesser opposition again standing like statues. Up to Ole to motivate them for the lesser teams.

Strelok

Our next 4 league games are against Everton, Watford, Newcastle and Burnley. These are teams who we should be beating but we have struggled against them this season.

If we manage to win all 4 games I'll say we're making progress.
It won't be a big surprise for me if we'd struggle against these teams, especially away unless Pogba is back in full force.

I strongly doubt we'd be able to break their defence with Lingard or Pereira as our main creative drive. That's our sad reality.

Maybe we'll with some luck or they'd be crazy enough to play open attack against us but pure logic, we won't with our current attack.

Still, on the progress subject, even if we won't I'd say we have made considerable progress especially in work ethic, mentality and developing players. Who don't love James and AWB? Who last season would even think McT, Rashford and Fred could ever turn into what they're becoming now?

You may not have seen them but, to be fair there were posts from clowns who said they were hoping we'd lose, against mourinhos Spurs especially, so that Ole would be fired sooner.
Indeed. They are certainly not the majority but they do exist on here and are unashamed about it as well.
Ok @Withnail and @Fanatic 00237 just quote them here. I struggle to believe any United fan said they hoped we’d lose.

Foxbatt

I am still on the sack Ole side until he gets us to beating smaller clubs who defend against us.
I would say Pep was arrogant against us as he and every one knew that we play on the counter attack. Yet he never changed anything and kept attacking us and leaving plenty of space behind their defense. Credit to Ole who got the team to exploit that but I am not convinced he can take us forward enough to win trophies like the PL and CL.
That said I am not a fan of Poch too.

Withnail

Rafaeldagold

Exactly. It’s ridiculous- it’s like some people genuinely don’t think anyone can have the intelligence to agree with both of these statements:

A) We love Manchester United & are happy when we play well & win

B) Ole isn’t the best manager we can get & we can do much better

Both A & B can be true. It’s really not that hard to work out for the gloating Ole in crowd- don’t forget of the many many awful performances & results this season which has us 5 points off 4th right now. Not good enough

waza7111

It won't be a big surprise for me if we'd struggle against these teams, especially away unless Pogba is back in full force.

I strongly doubt we'd be able to break their defence with Lingard or Pereira as our main creative drive. That's our sad reality.

Maybe we'll with some luck or they'd be crazy enough to play open attack against us but pure logic, we won't with our current attack.

Still, on the progress subject, even if we won't I'd say we have made considerable progress especially in work ethic, mentality and developing players. Who don't love James and AWB? Who last season would even think McT, Rashford and Fred could ever turn into what they're becoming now?
I'm definitely impressed with the improvement in some players but until we start beating mid/lower table teams consistently I won't be fully convinced.

Status
Not open for further replies.