Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxbatt

Slow rebuild is absolutely fine but ffs, appoint a capable coach. Show something in the ground

Ole is clueless. Not sure how fletcher doesnt get this.
Because he is clueless too. Only a moron would say that we are getting ready for the decline of City and Liverpool. If he said that than he is a bigger moron than I thought he was. Does he know how long it took for us to decline from the time we first won the League under SAF? So he wants both of them to decline? He wants us to wait until how many years? 20? 30? most of us would be dead by then.

bonothom

Liverpool don't have the best midfield in the world and they're the best team in the country.
Too true. They have players such as Wnaldum and Henderson who have been coached properly. Not great players but Klopp is a great manager. Pains me to say it but he has to be the best manager in the world, while we have a manager that's not even Championship quality.

Champagne Football

His faith in Andreas in central midfield over the potential of Garner or Levitt seems daft. Andreas should maye have started over Lingard for the No.10 role, with one of Garner or Levitt starting next to Fred.

Without Maguire and Scott, our only 2 semi-leaders, we were always going to get spanked in that game.

ravi2

Darren Fletcher just on TalkSport, here's basically his key points..

1. The club is in this mess because of past recruitment from LVG and Jose. The club not to blame because they backed their managers until a point late on with Jose.

2. Never recovered from losing Fergie and Gill.

3. Club knowingly left themselves short of players for long term gain.

3. Club aiming to rebuild ready for the decline of Liverpool and City. Know it will be painful for fans but no quick fix signings, only the right players if they're available.

4. Solskjaer knows what he's doing. Wants to play better football in possession but hasn't got the players capable apart from Pogba.

To be honest I feel completely dejected after that performance. Heart breaking watching what we've become this season, I just hope those backing this management team and Woodward are seeing something that I'm not because, in my opinion, you don't need the best midfield in the world to beat the lower placed teams. Liverpool don't have the best midfield in the world and they're the best team in the country.

There's so many arguments to be made against what we're seeing but I just don't feel like getting into it anymore. I don't think Ole is the right manager, he's only ever proven that he isn't. Hopefully the rest of the footballing world didn't see something in him that we have and he will prove me wrong. He's not going anywhere, that's for sure, so all we can do is hold blind hope.
If this is true, and the board are waiting for Livers and City to decline before we majestically rise like a phoenix from the ashes , we might as well go find a different club to support because United we knew and loved does not exist anymore.

I really hope this is not true.

manunited1919

Maybe Ole is doing the club a great service. The longer he stays, the deeper we will go into a crisis situation, which perhaps may end up forcing the Glazers to finally sell.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
As it stands We're not great against either smaller of bigger teams. We also have no play style whatsoever.

What is it exactly We're aspiring to be?

Marcus

We should get Jose back in as manager with Ole as the assistant manager. Every three months, we ask Jose to take a holiday and get Ole to manage. Then we can replicate Ole's interim manager performance.

passing-wind

If United were sold to a rich Arab for instance, the first thing they would do is bring in DOF and a top level experienced coach. Ole would probably be offered a kit job role similar to Brian Kidd at City. Fans who want the owners out but still support Ole are kidding themselves if they think any prospective buyer would keep him in the job. A bit like what City did with Mark Hughes. They knew he wasn't good enough to take them where they wanted to go and got Mancini.
You are able to understand this because you have the necessary intelligence to comprehend the most simple equation regarding the hierarchy of our club. Unfortunately this isn't the case for many fans.

As I've said in other posts fans wanting Woodward out and keeping Solskjaer in is mutually exclusive. There's no chance that's going to happen.

Denis79

1. The club is in this mess because of past recruitment from LVG and Jose. The club not to blame because they backed their managers until a point late on with Jose.

3. Club aiming to rebuild ready for the decline of Liverpool and City. Know it will be painful for fans but no quick fix signings, only the right players if they're available.

4. Solskjaer knows what he's doing. Wants to play better football in possession but hasn't got the players capable apart from Pogba.

To be honest I feel completely dejected after that performance. Heart breaking watching what we've become this season, I just hope those backing this management team and Woodward are seeing something that I'm not because, in my opinion, you don't need the best midfield in the world to beat the lower placed teams. Liverpool don't have the best midfield in the world and they're the best team in the country.

There's so many arguments to be made against what we're seeing but I just don't feel like getting into it anymore. I don't think Ole is the right manager, he's only ever proven that he isn't. Hopefully the rest of the footballing world didn't see something in him that we have and he will prove me wrong. He's not going anywhere, that's for sure, so all we can do is hold blind hope.
I'm exactly where you are, Ole is trying his best but I don't see him as the man to take us forward, sorry but I don't. The only thing he's proven to me is that he knows how to set us up for counters, the rest is below par. Defensive positioning is poor, off ball movement is non-excisting, we don't flood the box even if we try to use crosses to break defences. It's all about counters and going through the middle, if that doesn't work, it's over, Ole is out of ideas.

thejtrain

Wait for your love rival to die before getting the girl of your dreams.
I know football works in cycles and all, but that's utterly ridiculous. All the fans are asking for is a team you can look forward to watching week in week out, and we want not one, but two giants to fall. I forgot we are 3rd in the table. Honestly, these ex players should keep their opinions about United/Ole to themselves.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
When United win. Praise to ole and the United way
When United loses. Oh its not Ole's fault that Woodward didn't sign him Longstaff (or something like that). Mou left a shit squad (that came second), there's too many deadwood, Ole needs 2 no 3 no 4 years.

devilish

For anyone still on the fence...

we are not in medieval times. The times when everyone expected United to win and we expected the United staff to be gutted when they don't are over. Ole is a good loser. We are there not to win but to participate.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
When United win. Praise to ole and the United way
When United loses. Oh its not Ole's fault that Woodward didn't sign him Longstaff (or something like that). Mou left a shit squad (that came second), there's too many deadwood, Ole needs 2 no 3 no 4 years.
And when we lose all the Ole our threads are flooded with the usual suspects. This goes both ways. The team that came 2nd in 17/18 is quite different from this one

I'm not saying Ole is the right man necessarily, but whoever is in charge next season still needs time to sort out the squad. The gulf in quality between the teams yesterday was downright scary. Which one of those players would get into that City team? Maybe Rashford and AWB?

The most pressing issue imo is getting in new players this window

littleman

All the ex-players are extra nice to Ole because he was one of them. No one was ever kind to the other managers.

Saying we don't have better players to play better football doesn't justify consistently losing to bottom tier teams.

devilish

And when we lose all the Ole our threads are flooded with the usual suspects. This goes both ways. The team that came 2nd in 17/18 is quite different from this one

I'm not saying Ole is the right man necessarily, but whoever is in charge next season still needs time to sort out the squad. The gulf in quality between the teams yesterday was downright scary. Which one of those players would get into that City team? Maybe Rashford and AWB?

The most pressing issue imo is getting in new players this window
I am consistent. In fact I never changed my vote, not even once. Here is what I think

a- The Glazers are the problem. They let Woodward run the place with no accountability (apart from maybe financial). Ole's appointment is just one of an endless list of Woodward's mistakes
b- Unless we bring in some solid backroom staff in then we won't be title contenders. We need experienced football people who won't massively overpay in terms of salaries and solid recruitment people who can handle a high staff turnover of lets say 7 in and 5 out. Woodward himself stated that he's not able to do that. Hence why we handle long term contracts to players who don't deserve to remain at OT (his words, not mine)
c- Having a real manager will improve us. It probably won make us win titles under the present setup but we'll be competing for top 4 and he'll probably win a trophy or two.
d- This Brexit FC is crazy. A serious rebuild is needed and we can't do it with 50m-80m a pop. Molde needs to understand that he'll have to rely on us bringing in players whom he didn't personally coached/or hasn't followed. Every club in the world has a budget and wasting most of it on the new Steve Bruce and a RB that can't go forward is crazy especially if it means going into the season with no midfield, no RW and no cover upfront.
e- While mistakes had been made, the team of 17/18 was mostly dismantled by Ole. His idea of deadwood included Lukaku whose second top scorer in the Serie A, and Smalling who is fast becoming one of the most respected CBs in Italy. Meanwhile we kept Jesse and Jones.

The most pressing issue is to get the right people on board, a top DOF, a head of recruitment, good fitness coaches + a manager + coaches who are at OT not because they once played with us but because they are good. Unless we do so then we risk wasting money as we have no idea if the new manager will want these players in the first place.

STLCARDS

I was on the fringe until today, leaning towards Ole-out. But today, I changed my vote to Ole-in. I completely agree with Fletcher. I hope at some point, he comes back to United at any capacity. We are probably the only big football club in the world which completely backs the manager. It’s a dying (perhaps even archaic) tradition. Most clubs now have a DOF to oversee the club’s recruitment and non-footballing, non-commercial activities. They don’t have a manager. What they do have is a ‘Head Coach’ who prepares the first team for the upcoming matches. I too am enticed by this delegated hierarchy in football. But, similar to every system, this too has drawbacks. It dissolves a club’s identity; eliminates longevity.
Man Utd has an identity. It’s not defined by the style of football; we never had any particular style. We played whatever style needed to win. Our identity was always our winning mentality. That’s why this club is special. Kind of similar to the New England Patriots.
Our club was desperate for the past 6 years, looking for success. It realized the mess that’s been created, leaving us with a mix of players that’s not cohesive.
Our team doesn’t have a common mentality anymore.
That’s why Ole was hired - to go back to the grassroots of our heritage. No one ever said that he’s a world class manager. He never said it. He’s unproven.
Being a Man Utd manager means you’ll get the unique challenge of coaching as an auteur. There is no proven manager in this world who can even dare to accept this challenge. All we have now are ‘Head Coaches’ who can coach a particular style of football. And, no one in this world can comment on how good a ‘Head Coach’ Ole is. He’s just unproven.
Sure, he could be the worst there is. Or perhaps, he could be the best there is. Let’s say he’s somewhere in the middle. Do you think Sir Alex was the best coach there ever lived? No. He got out coached and out-tactic’ed many times in his life. What he was though, was the greatest manager that ever lived. He hired the best game readers in the world to coach and draw up the tactics for his players. He was the leader who made sure his team did whatever it took to win. And by team, not just the players, the entire coaching staff, the ball boys, the tea ladies, the scouts, everyone.
I don’t want a philosophical ‘Head Coach’ at Man Utd. We are not Barcelona or Bayern Munich or Juventus which have the luxury of a lopsided league that lets them obsess over style.
I’m sure everyone here who’s a Man Utd fan is because of Sir Alex’s era. We can easily win a league or two by appointing a good head coach with a well defined philosophy. Hell, wait until the summer and appoint Conte, the greatest league winner there is right now. He will browbeat the players to the title by signing whoever he needs. And then, he’ll crap out after that. Because, the truth about these philosophical head coaches is that they are too stubborn and too spoiled. They care only about their football/resume and not the club. That’s why they move from one club to another.
If everyone here wants to feel like a Man Utd fan again, appointing a DOF and a philosopher for a head coach is not the way to go. We don’t want to become a Chelsea.
Courtesy of Sir Alex, his DNA for Man Utd still runs through some of his players. Ole probably was one of those fervent disciples. He needs to be our manager. He’s rebuilding, as outlined by Fletcher. There’s no quick fix.
But that doesn’t mean we have to keep losing our games. I’m sure we are all disappointed with our team’s performances on the pitch. Every single game begins with an equal win probability for the either teams. No matter the difference in the abilities of the players on the pitch, the team with the best purpose will win. What Ole needs more than the players are the coaches. Liverpool have a dedicated coach even for throw-ins. So specialized is the coaching these days for football. Ole has one of the best game readers ever in Carrick assisting him. That’s it. He needs more than him, McKenna and Phelan. In my opinion, that’s a skeleton staff to its bare bones. Hopefully, he finds the right coaches to build his team.

ravi2

I am consistent. In fact I never changed my vote, not even once. Here is what I think

a- The Glazers are the problem. They let Woodward run the place with no accountability (apart from maybe financial). Ole's appointment is just one of an endless list of Woodward's mistakes
b- Unless we bring in some solid backroom staff in then we won't be title contenders. We need experienced football people who won't massively overpay in terms of salaries and solid recruitment people who can handle a high staff turnover of lets say 7 in and 5 out. Woodward himself stated that he's not able to do that. Hence why we handle long term contracts to players who don't deserve to remain at OT (his words, not mine)
c- Having a real manager will improve us. It probably won make us win titles under the present setup but we'll be competing for top 4 and he'll probably win a trophy or two.
d- This Brexit FC is crazy. A serious rebuild is needed and we can't do it with 50m-80m a pop. Molde needs to understand that he'll have to rely on us bringing in players whom he didn't personally coached/or hasn't followed. Every club in the world has a budget and wasting most of it on the new Steve Bruce and a RB that can't go forward is crazy especially if it means going into the season with no midfield, no RW and no cover upfront.
e- While mistakes had been made, the team of 17/18 was mostly dismantled by Ole. His idea of deadwood included Lukaku whose second top scorer in the Serie A, and Smalling who is fast becoming one of the most respected CBs in Italy. Meanwhile we kept Jesse and Jones.

The most pressing issue is to get the right people on board, a top DOF, a head of recruitment, good fitness coaches + a manager + coaches who are at OT not because they once played with us but because they are good. Unless we do so then we risk wasting money as we have no idea if the new manager will want these players in the first place.
I agree with your points but those types of changes will only happen when the glazers sell the club and to most likely someone in the middle East.

Greck

I was on the fringe until today, leaning towards Ole-out. But today, I changed my vote to Ole-in. I completely agree with Fletcher. I hope at some point, he comes back to United at any capacity. We are probably the only big football club in the world which completely backs the manager. It’s a dying (perhaps even archaic) tradition. Most clubs now have a DOF to oversee the club’s recruitment and non-footballing, non-commercial activities. They don’t have a manager. What they do have is a ‘Head Coach’ who prepares the first team for the upcoming matches. I too am enticed by this delegated hierarchy in football. But, similar to every system, this too has drawbacks. It dissolves a club’s identity; eliminates longevity.
Man Utd has an identity. It’s not defined by the style of football; we never had any particular style. We played whatever style needed to win. Our identity was always our winning mentality. That’s why this club is special. Kind of similar to the New England Patriots.
Our club was desperate for the past 6 years, looking for success. It realized the mess that’s been created, leaving us with a mix of players that’s not cohesive.
Our team doesn’t have a common mentality anymore.
That’s why Ole was hired - to go back to the grassroots of our heritage. No one ever said that he’s a world class manager. He never said it. He’s unproven.
Being a Man Utd manager means you’ll get the unique challenge of coaching as an auteur. There is no proven manager in this world who can even dare to accept this challenge. All we have now are ‘Head Coaches’ who can coach a particular style of football. And, no one in this world can comment on how good a ‘Head Coach’ Ole is. He’s just unproven.
Sure, he could be the worst there is. Or perhaps, he could be the best there is. Let’s say he’s somewhere in the middle. Do you think Sir Alex was the best coach there ever lived? No. He got out coached and out-tactic’ed many times in his life. What he was though, was the greatest manager that ever lived. He hired the best game readers in the world to coach and draw up the tactics for his players. He was the leader who made sure his team did whatever it took to win. And by team, not just the players, the entire coaching staff, the ball boys, the tea ladies, the scouts, everyone.
I don’t want a philosophical ‘Head Coach’ at Man Utd. We are not Barcelona or Bayern Munich or Juventus which have the luxury of a lopsided league that lets them obsess over style.
I’m sure everyone here who’s a Man Utd fan is because of Sir Alex’s era. We can easily win a league or two by appointing a good head coach with a well defined philosophy. Hell, wait until the summer and appoint Conte, the greatest league winner there is right now. He will browbeat the players to the title by signing whoever he needs. And then, he’ll crap out after that. Because, the truth about these philosophical head coaches is that they are too stubborn and too spoiled. They care only about their football/resume and not the club. That’s why they move from one club to another.
If everyone here wants to feel like a Man Utd fan again, appointing a DOF and a philosopher for a head coach is not the way to go. We don’t want to become a Chelsea.
Courtesy of Sir Alex, his DNA for Man Utd still runs through some of his players. Ole probably was one of those fervent disciples. He needs to be our manager. He’s rebuilding, as outlined by Fletcher. There’s no quick fix.
But that doesn’t mean we have to keep losing our games. I’m sure we are all disappointed with our team’s performances on the pitch. Every single game begins with an equal win probability for the either teams. No matter the difference in the abilities of the players on the pitch, the team with the best purpose will win. What Ole needs more than the players are the coaches. Liverpool have a dedicated coach even for throw-ins. So specialized is the coaching these days for football. Ole has one of the best game readers ever in Carrick assisting him. That’s it. He needs more than him, McKenna and Phelan. In my opinion, that’s a skeleton staff to its bare bones. Hopefully, he finds the right coaches to build his team.
Don't agree but recognise you're entitled to you thought on all but one thing, that is, we should not want a philosopher head coach. You also mistakenly say it's our tradition not to. No, even though we haven't had one it's never been our tradition because they only just recently became the meta in the PL. Pep and Klopp have exposed our previous ignorance of thinking philosophies were gimmicky football that could not work in physical England. Make no mistake on this, it will continue to be the most effective tactic available and any team consciously looking to forego it will continue to have circles run around them by their rivals on the pitch and in the table

Last edited:

MoskvaRed

Seems a strange comparison seen as fergie was into year 4 by then and Ole has had just over 12 months.
I really can’t be bothered getting into this debate again but, given your user name references the great man, please give him the respect of reading up on his career pre-United. He was the hottest managerial property in British football. He was the Klopp of 1986 (no foreigners in those days). We have currently have as manager someone who would not get a job at any other PL club.

MoskvaRed

Agree with everything you say. I’d also add that (parts of) the fanbase need to drop the notion of giving the manager a free pass, based on the belief that long-term development and short-term improvement are somehow mutually exclusive.

devilish

I agree with your points but those types of changes will only happen when the glazers sell the club and to most likely someone in the middle East.
Things can change though. Ultimately there is one thing the Glazers love more then Woodward and that's money. There's nothing that can hurt more the money generating machine if the match going fans decide to boo and protest week in week out with the occasional leaving OT empty for the cameras to show the world what a mess we're in event. Sponsors pay good money to be represented in a good light, hence they won't like being associated to a club with such toxic environment. Thus if the match going fans decide to use their brains rather then follow what some washed up player now pundit/amateur manager say then things will change.

Tony247

I think we all need to tone down a bit and respect each other as whatever opinion we have we all are fans wishing only good for man utd.

Say for example 100% vote ole out on redcafe. Then what? Declare some kind of victory? Take out a march to woody's office? Declare that we indeed are man united and thus Ole is sacked? I fail to understand why are we fighting, name calling each other, heartburns here. Simple vote and opinion would suffice, no?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

That is all very reasonable. I think Ole should stay the season regardless, mostly because i dont think there are any other viable candidates who are available right now (i dont fancy Poch) and because top 4 is still very much on and we are still in the EL. If we end this season as horribly as we did the last one we should look for other options, but as you stated here, our problems go well beyond the manager

Thunder.kz

Sack this clown already!
We're becoming a laughing stock of a club. OGS is not even a championship league quality.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
274 pages of a handful of rehashed opinions. Over and over. And most jump from one opinion to the next, every time selling it as a brand new revelation. Every result sees posters change seats - like musical chairs.

And then the manager is sacked, a wave of optimism washes over us, and then the reality sets in. Nothing has changed. Those who have driven our club to ruins are still in charge.

Rehash and repeat.

And people wonder why there's no progress.

reddevil80

274 pages of a handful of rehashed opinions. Over and over. And most jump from one opinion to the next, every time selling it as a brand new revelation. Every result sees posters change seats - like musical chairs.

And then the manager is sacked, a wave of optimism washes over us, and then the reality sets in. Nothing has changed. Those who have driven our club to ruins are still in charge.

Rehash and repeat.

This. Absolutely this.

Enigma_87

You know who

Rehash and repeat.

And your solution is? Keep the incompetent manager and expect progress?

Toni Roncoroni

I just want a system, a structure, a sign that maybe with one or two better players that he’d get somewhere.
Klopp had this, Guardiola had this in their first years.
People Have mentioned bielsa, he had this too. Even lvg had a visible plan even if it might have been fecking tedious.
Just some sign that he knows what his vision is beyond “these players ‘get’ the club”.

This is my system this is how we will play. That’s what I want.

We have the occasional counter attack and could not score against an u15 team if they defended the box.

It’s not good enough. Over a year now and no hint of a style.

As much as I like him he’s got to go now.
Great post! 100%

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
And your solution is? Keep the incompetent manager and expect progress?
Maybe I will go with Opinion #3.

You know, the one where I say "show me a manager who can turn a mediocre squad into winners".

Or maybe Opinion #1 - "Fire the manager and back the new one in the market".

It doesn't really matter, does it? We've been down this road before.

Son

Fans are fighting between themselves at games now and it’s all gone toxic. The club should just change the manager to at least give fans some hope.

If Poch wants the job we should just bring him in for the time being. Everyone surely would understand the appointment and he would instantly make us more relevant again. Some positive vibes.

Personally I want a new DOF and manager working in tandem. A team of Nagelsmann and Rangnick to give foundation. New owners too but that’s probably all a pipe dream.

In the short term we need signings so bad it’s unreal. Our midfield is diabolical. Even short term loan deals with an option to buy. Anything.

Enigma_87

You know who
Maybe I will go with Opinion #3.

You know, the one where I say "show me a manager who can turn a mediocre squad into winners".

Or maybe Opinion #1 - "Fire the manager and back the new one in the market".

It doesn't really matter, does it? We've been down this road before.
That mediocre squad finished 2nd in 17/18 and was close to a top 4 finish last year before taken apart from your mediocre manager without replacements being found.

Pretty much every competent manager out there will be an improvement.

Again what is your solution, keep an incompetent manager and expect different outcome rather than regress further?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Fans are fighting between themselves at games now and it’s all gone toxic. The club should just change the manager to at least give fans some hope.
When did this happen? Read the reports from some fan channel that camera man was headbutted wasn't true and a publicity stunt.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
That mediocre squad finished 2nd in 17/18 and was close to a top 4 finish last year before taken apart from your mediocre manager without replacements being found.

Pretty much every competent manager out there will be an improvement.

Again what is your solution, keep an incompetent manager and expect different outcome rather than regress further?
Seriously, my solution is to format the drive. Not just the partition disk.

Enigma_87

You know who
Seriously, my solution is to format the drive. Not just the partition disk.
We're discussing a realistic solution. Partitioning the disk is a step in the right direction.

Under Fergie the Glazers didn't impede our success did they? 5 PL titles, CL, numerous cups.

If you can't format the drive and your PC is at a point it barely loads you do nothing then?

Strelok

Good post, hard to see some sensible ones without any agenda these days.

Sacking Ole seems doable and much easier than getting rid of the Glazers or Ed. However it won't change a damn thing though imo. What is your opinion on this?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
We have written off this season and if we don’t sack him in the summer then the same can be said of next term. This is how teams eventually go multiple decades without winning anything. We are already at 7 years without a title, that’ll be 10 soon enough. Time flies when you’re miserable.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
We're discussing a realistic solution. Partitioning the disk is a step in the right direction.

Under Fergie the Glazers didn't impede our success did they? 5 PL titles, CL, numerous cups.

If you can't format the drive and your PC is at a point it barely loads you do nothing then?
No, no. I'm doing something.

I'm looking for that last morsel of hope. I know I left it here somewhere. Nah. It's gone.

I'll leave it up to you able posters to find a solution and forcing the hand of those in charge of our beloved multi-billion $$$ company.

Greck

Good post, hard to see some sensible ones without any agenda these days.

Sacking Ole seems doable and much easier than getting rid of the Glazers or Ed. However it won't change a damn thing though imo. What is your opinion on this?
We can win in spite of bad executives but we can't overcome bad executives and a bad manager combined so no it can make a big difference. Liverpool is living breathing testament to this

Status
Not open for further replies.