Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaky

Ole is not for one minute suggesting that because Herr Klopp got x-amount of years that he should get the same, more that the guy widely regarded as the best in the business needed that time - in short, have some friggin patience, Rome wasn't built in a day!
Honestly, arguing is not worth the effort when nobody is going to actually bother to even try and understand your point.

Ole is not for one minute suggesting that because Herr Klopp got x-amount of years that he should get the same, more that the guy widely regarded as the best in the business needed that time - in short, have some friggin patience, Rome wasn't built in a day!
Yeah what Spanner said below but I'll add..

We'd all have fecking patience @Class of 63 if we'd been looking like we were in a title race by the New Year, were playing top football and looking like we'd finish a) top 4 and b) with a PL win-rate of 58%

We're not being impatient just because Ole's past CV is "meh" at best, we're impatient because Klopp made his side better, immediately, and his first full season was absolutely NIGHT AND DAY compared to this 37% win rate clusterfeck. Our gaffer hasn't just not improved us, he's made us miles fecking worse. Understand THAT point @shaky lad.

Yeah I'm sure we'll finish top four this season, and reach the CL final next season, and win it the following season, and be unbeaten at the top of the PL the following season with a record points tally.

Cerberus

Klopp's team visibly progressed in his second season, though. It was already evident that his coaching style had a positive impact on Liverpool's football and it resulted in them reaching the top four that season, then reaching the Champions League final in the season afterwards. Meanwhile, we've regressed in Ole's second season.

You may counter by saying we've lost key players without replacing them and you'd be right. However, that doesn't explain some of the atrocious quality of football on display. Why is the passing so poor? Why is some of the decision making -- such as the handling of injured players -- so incredibly naive? There's overwhelming evidence that Ole's coaching is questionable at best and atrocious at worst. The warning signs already appeared during the losing run at the end of 2018-2019, following the PSG game. Let's not forget that, at that point, fourth place was ours to lose and we effectively surrendered it to Chelsea. A good manager would have understood the players were fatigued from our energized run and that he needed to implement a new strategy that could have motivated them to consolidate their wins, especially since he still had the Mourinho squad at his disposal.

As well, as others have mentioned, his CV leaves a lot to be desired and is further evidence that the situation is not comparable to Klopp's at all. Klopp was already a renowned manager by the time he arrived at Liverpool; he'd won major trophies in a top league and was a Champions League finalist. Ole had Cardiff relegated and was sacked the following season for continuing lackluster results. Woodward failed to back him properly in the summer, sure, but for the reasons outlined, I don't trust Ole to get us back to the top no matter the backing.

Last edited:

Cerberus

It just keeps on getting worse. You simply can’t deny the guy is totally deluded at this point.
He luckily stumbled into the best managerial position he'll ever achieve. It's only natural he wants to extend his time here as long as possible.

Hard to blame Ole when it's the incompetance of the man above him that keeps him in this job.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Yeah what Spanner said below but I'll add..

We'd all have fecking patience @Class of 63 if we'd been looking like we were in a title race by the New Year, were playing top football and looking like we'd finish a) top 4 and b) with a PL win-rate of 58%

We're not being impatient just because Ole's past CV is "meh" at best, we're impatient because Klopp made his side better, immediately, and his first full season was absolutely NIGHT AND DAY compared to this 37% win rate clusterfeck. Our gaffer hasn't just not improved us, he's made us miles fecking worse. Understand THAT point @shaky lad.
Klopp had a better base to work with for starters, plus he didn't have to build up the confidence of his best young players after they'd been shamefully floored by the previous Manager.

Miles worse? We're inconsistent granted, but we went to City and won deservedly not long back, and scared the crap out of Liverpool from the 55th minute onwards @ Anfield only last Sunday with a depleted squad low on confidence 1-0 down when their extra days rest should have allowed them to swamp us.

Come on. I know you're better than that
I'm not, not at all. Klopp would've been fired if he'd started his first season like this and rightly so.

But he wouldn't, that's WHY he's a top manager.

Ole has morphed from the guy talking big balls about This is Manchester United" to finding an excuse in everything and trying to even claim City playing a first team in a Derby semi-final shows progress. And now this? He's taking us down the toilet and is now trying to buy time to take us further down the rabbit hole by comparing his situation to the current best manager in the World? feck off Ole, you gutted your squad, talked Billy big Bollocks and in your entire spell in charge you've won 37% of your PL games this season, how the feck is that comparable to Klopp?

Klopp had a better base to work with for starters
Debunked loads as more complete tosh. Ole's side has just finished 2nd months before he took over ffs. Klopp started with this....

First team:
Liverpool’s starting XI v Spurs: Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno, Leiva, Can, Milner, Lallana (replaced by Allen), Coutinho (replaced by Ibe), Origi
Subs: Toure, Allen, Ibe, Bogdan, Sinclair, Vilaca Teixeira, Randall

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Really no point in all of the Klopp talk - its a waste of bandwidth

Stacks

Well yes, he is correct in his statement that Jurgen took 4 years. However, to then use this as a direct link to his own tenure, as if to say he should be afforded the same amount of time, is absurd. So hopefully people can see that given 4 years, Ole will have us winning the UCL (2 finals in consecutive seasons too) and the PL?

It is a ridiculous comment let's be honest. Any failing manager could say this, and therefore should be handed at least 4 years (or so) to bring their so called success. So we are only to judge him in 2023? Even if we finish 10th or lower, let us just wait until 2023, it is only fair right?

I really do despair at times with some of the things he comes out with these days. But what astounds me even more than this, is when our fans lap it up and hang on every word he says like he is some kind of superior celestial being.
I think he is saying it took 3 years for the best manager in the world to build a title winning side which is true so it takes time to build a title winning side and he should be given a chance to, which I understand. I 100% know he will never achieve what I have bolded but they gave him the job so must have the belief he can be that guy, so it makes sense for him to say this.

the next bolded bit is where we agree. Klopp got there because he met certain criteria. I think Ole knows that next season will be his final chance.

You could see Klopp's style almost right away when he took over. His results in the League took a while to turn around but a fairly solid cup performance. We wouldn't have sacked Klopp had he finished 8th in a broken season and then 4th twice as we have shown CL qualification is often key to us sacking a manager.

Oct2015 - 2016 - Finished 8th. Lost League Cup Final. Lost Europa League final.
2016-17 - Finished 4th.
2017-18 - Finished 4th. Lost CL Final to Real Madrid.
2018-19 - Finished 2nd. Won CL.
2019-20 - Title almost certain and as good a chance as anybody in the CL and FA Cup.
I know all this and agree. What Ole is saying is it takes more than one season to build a side capabale of challenging which is typically true.

Class of 63

Sourness
Klopp's team visibly progressed in his second season, though. It was already evident that his coaching style had a positive impact on Liverpool's football, and it resulted in them reaching the top four that season, and then reaching the Champions League final in the season afterwards. Meanwhile, we've regressed in Ole's second season.

You may counter by saying we've lost key players without replacing them and you'd be right. However, that doesn't explain some of the atrocious quality of football on display. Why is the passing so poor? Why is some of the dcision making -- such as the handling of injured players -- so incredibly naive? There's overwhelming evidence that Ole's coaching is quesitonable at best and absolutely atrocious at worst. The warning signs already appeared in the losing run at the end of 2018-2019, following the PSG game. Let's not forget that, at that point, fourth place was ours to lose and we surrendered it to Chelsea. A good manager would have understood the players were fatigued from our energized run and that he needed to implement a new strategy that could have motivated them to consolidate their wins and implement the strategy required to do that, especially since he still had the Mourinho squad at his disposal.

As well, as others have mentioned, his CV leaves a lot to be desired and is further evidence that the situation is not comparable to Klopp's at all. Klopp was already the real deal by the time he arrived at Liverpool; he'd won titles in a top league while already reaching the Champions League final. Ole had Cardiff relegated and was sacked the following season for continuing lackluster results. Woodward failed to back him properly in the summer, sure, but for the reasons outlined I don't trust Ole to get us back to the top no matter the backing.
No United fan on this, or any other forum not currently in a secure unit is suggesting if we persevere with Ole he will match or better Klopp's achievements, he won't, it would be lovely to think he could but it just ain't happening, pains me to say it but Klopp will in time go down as one of the very best Managers of all time and I can't think of a place i'd rather he not be at than Liverpool. Anyhow

Ole has been tasked with rebuilding the club, and it might take longer than some of us want, when the foundations are in place somebody(more qualified) will come in, till such time we are going to have to put up with the good, the bad, and the downright ugly, best to laugh about it and not get too angry if for your health only.

PATIENCE.

Rafaeldagold

Why do the knives always come out when we drop points? We weren't even that bad against burnley, we were without 4 or 5 of our first team + highest paid players. Lost to a defensive error and a worldie.
And the excuses never ever end with Ole.

He’s Shite & has to go & it’s been clear for a long long time.

Cerberus

Ole has been tasked with rebuilding the club, and it might take longer than some of us want, when the foundations are in place somebody(more qualified) will come in, till such time we are going to have to put up with the good, the bad, and the downright ugly, best to laugh about it and not get too angry if for your health only.

PATIENCE.
You're right, it's not guaranteed that any manager will match Klopp's rebuilding success in such a short amount of time. What I take issue with is the regression this season from the previous. If I actually saw an overall improvement in the quality of football from last season then I'd agree with giving Ole time, but I haven't. We don't look any more organized nor have the key aspects (passing, set pieces, etc) of our game improved at all. It's hard to argue that Ole will build our foundations when our overall quality is trending downwards. Even if Woodward is a failure at backing our managers in the transfer market, I'd rather we at least have a good manager with limited funds than a bad one.

Class of 63

Sourness
Debunked loads as more complete tosh. Ole's side has just finished 2nd months before he took over ffs. Klopp started with this....

First team:
Liverpool’s starting XI v Spurs: Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno, Leiva, Can, Milner, Lallana (replaced by Allen), Coutinho (replaced by Ibe), Origi
And? Didn't Slippy G and that team nearly win the League the previous season, or was it the one before??

Klopp has bought well but he was allowed to reinvest monies received for Coutinho, Sterling and others back into the team, and of the team you highlighted, Milner, Lallana and Origi are still there, albeit as squad players, but regular starters Firmino, Lovren, Henderson, Gomez and Terence Trent Darby were already there.

He hardly started from scratch.

Didn't he give Simon Mignolet and Mamadou Sakho new contracts?

Kopral Jono

Really no point in all of the Klopp talk - its a waste of bandwidth
If I may ask, why is that? The way Ole compares himself to Klopp in that interview is as if they belong in the same elite league of managers. We're talking about the same Ole who took Cardiff City down and whose experience aside from that is managing his breakthrough club back in his native Norway here.

Him getting hammered for it is no surprise whatsoever.

Class of 63

Sourness
We've picked up 34 points from 24 games, just 9 wins.

It's not even remotely debatable man, miles fecking worse.
It's not a regular season though is it, we're still in with a chance of T4, and that's better than we could have hoped for when he first got the gig to replace The Special Needs One last season - if that's not progress I don't know what is.

shaky

Klopp's team visibly progressed in his second season, though. It was already evident that his coaching style had a positive impact on Liverpool's football, and it resulted in them reaching the top four that season, and then reaching the Champions League final in the season afterwards. Meanwhile, we've regressed in Ole's second season.

Klopp's 2nd season had their star midfielder earn himself a £150m price tag while our one has been in the sick bay all year. I suspect if Klopp had no Coutinho for nearly the entire season, Henderson out from December, then Firmino crocked from January, he too might have found it a bit tougher.

Smores

No United fan on this, or any other forum not currently in a secure unit is suggesting if we persevere with Ole he will match or better Klopp's achievements, he won't, it would be lovely to think he could but it just ain't happening, pains me to say it but Klopp will in time go down as one of the very best Managers of all time and I can't think of a place i'd rather he not be at than Liverpool. Anyhow

PATIENCE.
Oh great Ole mentions foundations in an interview and now all we're going to get is Ole sycophants repeating the phrase. There's very little difference between those still supporting Ole and those who thought LvG was the top dog with his philosophy.

Class of 63

Sourness
Oh great Ole mentions foundations in an interview and now all we're going to get is Ole sycophants repeating the phrase. There's very little difference between those still supporting Ole and those who thought LvG was the top dog with his philosophy.
Hadn't seen it, maybe he sensed I was going to post it on the forum and got in before me, the bastard, Ole out!

Gopher Brown

Keeping him is trying to get a single engine rated, pilot trying to land an Airbus A380 while a ATP holder A380 pilot is sitting as a passenger on the same aircraft. It is bound to crash. Better let the qualified pilot take over even if it is in midflight.
The analogy falls down slightly here, but I get your point.

I do find it very usual that football manager seems to be very much approach based, and never an interview process - it’s very rare that you hear about a manager being interviewed for a job then not getting it. For something so important, it’s vital the guy in charge has the right experience and an achievable vision for the future, but it all seems to be conducted in an all-or-nothing way.

I ask though, who is our pilot sitting in the aisles? Surely not Mike Phelan.

wolvored

Yeah 13 months and only got 3 signings, what the feck were you expecting? a place in the CL final with Lingard, Young, Lukaku etc. on board?

Klopp's finishes with liverpool:

Season 1: 8th
Season 2: 4th
Season 3: 4th
Season 4: 2nd

And that is your "world class" manager right there. If you want a coach who celebrates a 2-2 draw with Stoke go support liverpool.

Ole needs time to build and the board will give him that, every coach we get and sack and then start nagging "he did not have time to build, etc''. Someone has to clean up this squad and Ole is doing just that, but you just can't get rid of everyone because it is not so easy to get replacements when each club wants to double/triple their players' price when we are involved.
So you would keep ole over Klopp Remember Klopp got Dortmund to the German title and Champions league final, meanwhile Ole got Cardiff relegated. He is clueless as a manager.

It's not a regular season though is it, we're still in with a chance of T4, and that's better than we could have hoped for when he first got the gig to replace The Special Needs One last season - if that's not progress I don't know what is.
That is some seriously fecked up logic @Class of 63, and considering your posting of late, that is saying something.

No mate, when Jose got himself fired by doing his usual acting like a baby when not fully backed for a single transfer window routine, I absolutely hoped the next manager in the Summer would be the likes of Poch and I was absolutely expecting top 4 this season at minimum. If 34 points from 24 games is better than you hoped, feck me, were you hoping for just avoiding a relegation fight cause we're only 4 points off Newcastle in 14th man :lol:

Or another way of putting it, were you hoping that by the 24th Jan the new manager if all went well would have just won as many Premier League games as Burnley or Southampton? Ole has won just 2 more games than Aston Villa in 16th for fecks sake.

Paul Ince was right though, he could've easily pulled this off with you lot and Ed lapping it up. Wake up and smell the coffee, guess what, it's not coffee, it's a warm dog turd sitting smoking in your mug.

Last edited:

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
And? Didn't Slippy G and that team nearly win the League the previous season, or was it the one before??

Klopp has bought well but he was allowed to reinvest monies received for Coutinho, Sterling and others back into the team, and of the team you highlighted, Milner, Lallana and Origi are still there, albeit as squad players, but regular starters Firmino, Lovren, Henderson, Gomez and Terence Trent Darby were already there.

He hardly started from scratch.

Didn't he give Simon Mignolet and Mamadou Sakho new contracts?
Yes, it was the season before! Sterling and Suarez as well as Gerrard, all 3 had gone by the time Klopp arrived, and Sturridge was already going down the route of being injured constantly before he arrives. And Gomez also got a bad injury the week he arrived and he didn't get to use him till over a year later. Klopp didnt get to reinvest the money from the sales of Suarez or Sterling, they'd long gone. Rodgers had allready spent that money on players.

A lot of revisionism really in what you say, as the general concessus was that Lovren was awful, Henderson and Lallana where certainly not considered all that by opposing fans, Firmino had done nothing in his few months under Brendan Rogers, neither had Origi. When Rodgers was sacked, the view generally from opposition fans was that he had bought a lot of average players for a lot of money and Liverpool's squad wasn't very good. Ask yourself what players you would have wanted from that team he left? I'm pretty sure if we where being honest about the only name that would have come up was Coutinho.

But no he didn't start from scratch - not many a coach ever will, but he took on a team with a poor goalie and defence, a functional but pretty average midfield,, one genuine star player in Coutinho, and a striking duo of an injured Danny Ings and Christian Benteke. But he did improve players for sure, like Origi, even Lovren, of course Firmino too, a player he already knew all about and knew how to use him.

PATIENCE.
So hang on, we let Ole do a rebuild for someone more qualified? What the holy feck.

You do realise that the more qualified one will most likely think, what is the feck is this shit that appears a mid table club, I need 10 players now. You are a case mate.

Some of us here just think the more qualified one would be better off supervising the build, weird logic eh?

Last edited:
Yes, it was the season before! Sterling and Suarez as well as Gerrard, all 3 had gone by the time Klopp arrived, and Sturridge was already going down the route of being injured constantly before he arrives. And Gomez also got a bad injury the week he arrived and he didn't get to use him till over a year later. Klopp didnt get to reinvest the money from the sales of Suarez or Sterling, they'd long gone. Rodgers had allready spent that money on players.

A lot of revisionism really in what you say, as the general concessus was that Lovren was awful, Henderson and Lallana where certainly not considered all that by opposing fans, Firmino had done nothing in his few months under Brendan Rogers, neither had Origi. When Rodgers was sacked, the view generally from opposition fans was that he had bought a lot of average players for a lot of money and Liverpool's squad wasn't very good. Ask yourself what players you would have wanted from that team he left? I'm pretty sure if we where being honest about the only name that would have come up was Coutinho.

But no he didn't start from scratch - not many a coach ever will, but he took on a team with a poor goalie and defence, a functional but pretty average midfield,, one genuine star player in Coutinho, and a striking duo of an injured Danny Ings and Christian Benteke. But he did improve players for sure, like Origi, even Lovren, of course Firmino too, a player he already knew all about and knew how to use him.
Thanks for saving me the time, quality post. Anyone trying to claim Klopp had a good base because of those players is an absolute head case. As you say, every single one of us and Liverpool fans themselves thought the lot of them were useles shite. The Klopp effect though, he just makes everyone so much better and the team better still.
@Class of 63 knows this already though, he's just choosing to bury his head in the sand cause he's well happy that Ole got rid of deadwood and doesn't know what to feel now with plenty of the deadwood gone and us looking as shit as we have in 3 decades. It's a real mind feck for him, the above has been posted earlier to him, he ignores it, because he has to.

Now he's going as far as saying that Ole's not the man to take us back to the top, we need someone more qualified for that once Ole has completed the rebuild. My fecking God, it's unbelievable the patience getting rid of perceived deadwood and playing some youth will buy you at this club.

Last edited:

R'hllor

Those 2 groups combined are nothing compared to JM Rectumville.

Class of 63

Sourness

Sshh ;)

Class of 63

Sourness
So hang on, we let Ole do a rebuild for someone more qualified? What the holy feck.

You do realise that the more qualified one will most likely think, what is the feck is this shit that appears a mid table club, I need 10 players now. You are a case mate.

Some of us here just think the more qualified one would be better off supervising the build, weird logic eh?
It's not only the team but the club that needs rebuilding, why not have somebody already in situ with Manchester United DNA in their veins do it?

Class of 63

Sourness
Thanks for saving me the time, quality post. Anyone trying to claim Klopp had a good base because of those players is an absolute head case. As you say, every single one of us and Liverpool fans themselves thought the lot of them were useles shite. The Klopp effect though, he just makes everyone so much better and the team better still.
@Class of 63 knows this already though, he's just choosing to bury his head in the sand cause he's well happy that Ole got rid of deadwood and doesn't know what to feel now with plenty of the deadwood gone and us looking as shit as we have in 3 decades. It's a real mind feck for him, the above has been posted earlier to him, he ignores it, because he has to.

Now he's going as far as saying that Ole's not the man to take us back to the top, we need someone more qualified for that once Ole has completed the rebuild. My fecking God, it's unbelievable the patience getting rid of perceived deadwood and playing some youth will buy you at this club.
Orrrrrrr, I might have been in another thread and been oblivious to it, never thunk of that did you? Maybe you did.

wolvored

I think he is saying it took 3 years for the best manager in the world to build a title winning side which is true so it takes time to build a title winning side and he should be given a chance to, which I understand. I 100% know he will never achieve what I have bolded but they gave him the job so must have the belief he can be that guy, so it makes sense for him to say this.

the next bolded bit is where we agree. Klopp got there because he met certain criteria. I think Ole knows that next season will be his final chance.

I know all this and agree. What Ole is saying is it takes more than one season to build a side capabale of challenging which is typically true.
I think they gave him the job as he had won a few games and thought this will save us money. He would be an instant hit with the fans. I think the fact he hasnt been sacked yet after the bad run of results since being appointed is that he was a legend on the pitch.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Poor coaching and poor recruitment is what brought us to where we are today. To get back to the top we need a good coach and the recruitment has to be very good. It's what Liverpool did and what Inter are doing now.

While Ole has been decent in the recruitment aspect, he is clearly a poor coach and being decent in recruitment alone is not enough to get us back to the top. When it comes to rebuilding a team Good coaching and good recruitment go hand in hand. Klopp would not have taken this Liverpool team to Champions league glory if the recruitment was poor. And a bad coach will not have taken this current Liverpool side to champions league glory as good as their recruitment was.

Ole is not good enough. Simple as that. And no matter how well and how many he recruits, we won't reach the top under him. Sack him and bring in a DOF to rebuild. If that's too hard for Ed then bring in a manager that is a good coach and knows how to recruit the right players. Because that is what we have been lacking since Ferguson left.

Good recruitment and good coaching is how we get back up and I feel Ole's supporters support him because they think his recruitment has been great and they don't think he's a bad coach because it's hard to judge from the injuries we've had. But he most definitely is.

fallengt

First team:
I remember load of caf posters laughed at Moreno, Can , Milner, Skrtel on here. Now It's "Klopp had better base to work with" :lol:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I remember load of caf posters laughed at Moreno, Can , Milner, Skrtel on here. Now It's "Klopp had better base to work with" :lol:
Liverpool fans are similarly laughing at the state of our squad now. And you won't find any of our current players that haven't been described as not good enough by our own fans on here, many being correct.

hobbers

Anyone trying to draw a line between Ole and Klopp is a fecking imbecile, Ole included.

Come back when your team performs better year on year. When your team scores more goals, concedes fewer and accrues more points season after season. When you have the brain to develop tactical approaches that people recognise and that actually work. You'd have to be a hopelessly deluded jackass to believe that to rebuild a club with a new ethos, football philosophy and playing staff, you actually have to actively make it much worse in the interim. No. This is only true of one manager in world football, and apparently that's Ole.

And Klopp took over a squad that was worse than ours is currently.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
The number of posters on here that 'know' certain things drives me potty. No one 'knows' anything, all you are doing is jumping on the hype train. There are some posters who actually understand football, and don't come out with these crass, over the top statements. It is absolutely pointless to get in another "top' manager, who will find the same problems as Ole does presently. Because he doesn't throw his toys out the pram he is seen as weak, but again, no one knows what goes on behind closed doors. I despair of some people, but when you've been through this situation a few times with this club then you have to be patient, unfortunately, many posters have no patience at all, everything has to be now. I would certainly give Ole as much time as he wants to get the team playing good, winning football again.

Status
Not open for further replies.