Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

90 + 5min

You said 200m is not enough to improve our team. Meanwhile Conte hasn't spent up to that and he's taken Inter from 4th to 1st. Klopp didn't spend up to that when he took Liverpool from 12 th when he met them to 4th. Meanwhile after 200m or 130m tbf.. Ole has taken us from 6th to 9th on course to our lowest point tally in 30 years. So unlike Klopp and Conte we've spent money and regressed.
My fault. With better I meant winning team.

It is true we are on course. But you seem to forget or don’t mention why. And I’m not talking about manager. Do you think our squad is good enough? And put injuries to our ”best” players and you can see the reason. For example. You Saw what happened to City when Laporte went down? They started dropping points. Despite great manager if you loose important players that affects you. And ManCity players are miles infront of us in terms of quality, still dropping points. Would it help sacking Guardiola? The answer is that it is not always manager that is fault for some things.

Mainoldo

It is true we are on course. But you seem to forget or don’t mention why. And I’m not talking about manager. Do you think our squad is good enough? And put injuries to our ”best” players and you can see the reason. For example. You Saw what happened to City when Laporte went down? They started dropping points. Despite great manager if you loose important players that affects you. And ManCity players are miles infront of us in terms of quality, still dropping points. Would it help sacking Guardiola? The answer is that it is not always manager that is fault for some things.
What happened last season to City when KDB went down? :)

Roboc7

Why :lol: ? We are struggling with him at a role he's had a little experience with before, DOF is way too important for him to have a job. This ain't a charity, if he is sacked as manager then he should not be linked with the club in any serious professional capacity anymore.
I have no idea why anyone would think moving him from one job he isn’t qualified to do to a different job he isn’t qualified to do would be a good idea.

He’s been given a chance, as it stands he’s getting sacked at the end of the season without a doubt. If decision hasn’t already have been made he has 13 league games and Europe to save his job.

Withnail

With respect that's whataboutery.

Man City have been hit with a number of issues but no one would question Peps credentials as he has a body of work behind him. Although if the team are no longer responding to his methods then replacing him is the right decision.

However, that has nothing to do with the situation at United as Ole has done nothing to prove he has the credentials to bring United back to the top regardless of the issues with the squad.

I'm sure things will improve once Fernandes beds in and Pogba/Mctominay etc are fit but I'll be surprised if there aren't still disjointed sub-par performances from this team.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
200m (we should not count new arrival though he played one game) isn’t enough in modern football to make this team better. We know it takes more. We needed to upgrade our defenders and I think we’ve done it well. Would I have done the same thing? Not sure, because of no midfield. But I completly understand Solskjaer for addresing defenders first.

For me, problem is quality of the players. Sure, Solskjaer has done some misstakes, but we have so many avarege players that no other manager would come in and be pleased. Instead they would say : I need money for new players because lot of players in this group don’t have what it takes.

Now that you mention them. I would have given VanGal more time.
£200 million may not be enough to build a title challenging side, but it's certainly enough to improve a squad that finished second six months before Ole's arrival and came within a whisker of finishing in the top four the following season.

Now we find ourselves in 9th position with a historically tough trip to Stamford Bridge next up. It doesn't look good does it?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Congratulations! Not a single thing in your post addressed what we where talking about :lol:

That angry fella who thinks he is enigma asked about credentials. I tried to explain to him that it’s not all about your cv of past credentials. Sometimes people actually look at your studies, and football people tend to do that. You see. When clubs hire managers or coaches, they do not only look at what you have done in the past experience. They also look at your studies and philosophies. That’s why they conduct an interview, and in this case the poster thought his own parameters are the most important ones. He usually do..

He then asked on why Utd hired Ole, from that tin pot league. Having failed everything in his management career. And I said.

Probably the same reason Chelsea hired Lampard. Why Napoli hired Gattusso ( he then came back with what Gattussi did at Milan, but forgot Allegri, who has the credentials to suit his own parameters) The same reason Arsenal hired Arteta. And the same reason Real hired Zidane.

They all know the clubs, and the clubs know them.

He then came back with Zidane didn’t fail at Cardiff and in a tin pot league. And I responded. No, he failed in secunda B with a very talented squad.

You see. No one was comparing anyone. Saying one was better than the other etc. It was just about why clubs hire starting out managers.

( This is the point of the post The one Who thinks he is enigma will focus on..
“Ole isn’t just starting out”. No he isn’t! He only has experience of dealing with crazy club owners and building club structures. He also has experience building squads and have done very well in Europe with them.)

And if people want to criticize Ole for being a family man and going back to Molde, that is fine by me. And if they want to ridicule themself saying he didn’t do well there, that is fine also.

I see several of your tin foil hat friends made the assumption somehow Ole and Zidane got compared. But I really have no answer for that.
I just know players enjoy working with both.

How does a discussion like this turn into Zidane vs Ole. Ole is not fit to laze Zidane’s boots etc.
What is wrong with you people?

I don’t know how many threads are being derailed in this fashion, but there is quite a few.
Does the moderators moderate at all?
It’s making this place look like muppet show. And
If I was visiting from another club, I would laugh my glory hunting ass off..
Really. It’s embarrassing.
My mistake. To be honest I normally read through all the posts before commenting but I've reached the stage where all the Ole threads are rolling into one with the same tired arguments from both sides.

But I still don't agree with what you say :)

I can see where you're coming from when you talk about CV. Generally it is an important issue when looking at future managers and it is true we've tried to go down that route with LVG and Mou and it obviously didn't pay off but that doesn't mean we have to go from one extreme to another and hire somebody based on him playing under SAF which is where I suppose you mentioned his studies and philosophys from?

Not saying you're one of them but people need to get this idea out of their heads that being coached under SAF doesn't make a person an automatically better manager. SAF is one of the best managers ever to have lived but he's now (through no fault of his own) holding the club back because we now seem fixated on going back to his values even though football has moved on tenfold since then. All this jobs for the boys is in theory a good idea but the reality is our "boys" just aren't good enough and it's long past time we started modernising the club from top to bottom with experienced people and it shouldn't matter if they have an affiliations with the club or not.

Going back to your original argument. Putting aside other (top) clubs hiring managers with little or no CV if these managers at any other clubs have us in the position that Ole has us in then they wouldn't have a job. Football used to be a romantic notion but it's now a cut throat business and sentimentality shouldn't have any part to play if we want to continue to be one of the worlds top clubs.

Kurton

Thanks for that image.

If the job was available and Poch and Ole were the candidates, nobody, probably not even Ole's family would go for Ole to get the job based on their Managerial CV's, that's not open to debate but that isn't the situation.

I know most like to think of the owners/CEO as incompetents but i'd hazard a guess that it was not only the winning run that got Ole the Gig full-time just as much it would have been his plans/vision of the club in the future, why bin that off just we're having a foreseen wobble just because the flavour of the month is available?

Fresh and new doesn't guarantee anything, if it did Managers would be on monthly contracts.
Sorry for the bolded part mate, but I could not think of a better analogy.

I think you are giving too much credit to the owners/CEO if you think they have thought through with the appointment. If they did, they wouldn't appoint Mourinho immediately after LvG with polar opposite philosophies or appoint Moyes at all in the first place. I think they trust too much these people with connections with the club and take their advice in big decisions, which includes SAF also (Moyes recommendation and I think he has something to do with Ole as well). They just took the easy option with Ole based on the 10 game sample, otherwise, it wouldn't have turned to this level of shit if there was a plan.

Of course, there are no guarantees with anyone, but a year is enough time to show some sort of progress. And no getting rid of deadwood or buying players fit for the club are not progress. That's like saying, I made the schedule for study and bought the right books, but I forgot to study. I failed the exams but should be allowed to pass to next grade just because I did the former. Nobody cares if you made all the preparations if you cannot show it when it matters.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
It'll put him in good stead for working with Ed Woodward then if he gets the job.
Woodward has many faults. Hiring managers who don't suit the club or aren't good enough are his biggest ones but no one can accuse him of not backing the managers in the transfer market and that's enough for a good manager to forget about what's happening further up the ladder and actually get us back in contention again.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Woodward has many faults. Hiring managers who don't suit the club or aren't good enough are his biggest ones but no one can accuse him of not backing the managers in the transfer market and that's enough for a good manager to forget about what's happening further up the ladder and actually get us back in contention again.
The club owners make transfer funds available, not Woodward.

dirkey

£200 million may not be enough to build a title challenging side, but it's certainly enough to improve a squad that finished second six months before Ole's arrival and came within a whisker of finishing in the top four the following season.

Now we find ourselves in 9th position with a historically tough trip to Stamford Bridge next up. It doesn't look good does it?
A historically tough trip? What? Get out of here! So this chelsea side with Frank managing is a tougher proposition than the title winning sides Jose had there?

Jaypers. There's hyperbole, and then there's this!

ottosec

Now that 5th will likely lead to CL football, this is the perfect time to sack him.

A new manager morale boost might improve our results enough to make it.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
A historically tough trip? What? Get out of here! So this chelsea side with Frank managing is a tougher proposition than the title winning sides Jose had there?

We've won once there in the PL in the last 8 years. Doesn't matter who's managing it is a historically tough trip.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Probably not, but the current Chelsea side still sits above us in the table with or without Jose. Losing tomorrow night all but ends our CL hopes.

Since 2002, our record at Stamford Bridge is 14 losses, 8 draws and 2 wins.

Shark

@NotShark
I really hope we get a result tomorrow, but surely a loss would mean the end of him. Top four would be officially done.

UnitedFan93

Keep him.

There's absolutely no point ripping everything up and starting all over again from scratch. No one knows whether Ole will be successful or not. However the same can be said of Pochettino. What happens if Pochettino comes 6th in his first season. Do we sack him and appoint someone like Gary Neville who gets the club?

Ole is building a young talented squad and I feel he should get another summer to fill the gaps in the squad. When he finally leaves, he will leave us with a much better squad compared to the mess of a squad he inherited.

UnitedFan93

At this point, it's safe to say he won't.
You're correct in terms of winning trophies.

However, I think Ole is doing well developing the squad with the type of players we're going after. At this stage, with no DoF in place, recruitment is key and I trust Ole with that.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The top four threads on this part of the forum, and by far the most active threads on here, are all the same conversation being had by mostly the same people.

Meanwhile we have a huge game tomorrow. 2 new players likely to figure. Promises to be a nerve-wracking and entertaining match. The matchday thread has no more than a handful of posts in the last few days.

It's really a shame how people care more about this never-ending and quite frankly pointless argument than they do about the actual football.

I realise there is a hypocritical element to this post because I have participated in these threads, but this is ruining this forum. Everybody has made their positions clear so why not talk about the game instead?

Chairman Steve

The signings we’ve recently seem very club based decisions rather than OGS demands. Maguire was wanted by Jose Mourinho and is a no brainer buy. Wan-Bissaka is an actual right back and a no brainer buy. James is cheap low risk punt.

We have done this in past such as when we bought Luke Shaw. I think even LVG said that Shaw was a club buy. Herrera was wanted by Sir Alex but he ended up coming here.

So there does seem to be an element of autonomy at the club and therefore we don’t have throw everything out of the window and start again so to speak. Just appoint someone whose style is similar like a Pochettino, and not someone like Allegri or Simeone.

AC1689

It’s got to a point now where I swear Woodward and Solskjaer have employed an army of people to create redcafe and twitter accounts purely to heap praise on Ole. There is no other conceivable explanation. Either that or they’ve all had a stroke.

Giggsyking

We have the most inept board of all the big teams in Europe. How on earth the biggest club in the country and maybe the world is managed by a novice, team relegating manager? the scariest part is not that, the scariest part there are fans believe in him :lol:. What a mess.

vanderpants

I wonder how many times he will use the phrase "the boys" in his post-match interview tomorrow when we get smashed by Chelsea? With Spurs winning today and us now a virtually mid-table team (9th currently), how the feck is he still the manager....the mind boggles

Castia

9th in the league a point above Burnley in mid February.

Meanwhile Jose took a free falling Spurs and has overtaken us with a 5 point gap, we wont even finish 5th this season.

Shark

@NotShark
Keep him.

There's absolutely no point ripping everything up and starting all over again from scratch. No one knows whether Ole will be successful or not. However the same can be said of Pochettino. What happens if Pochettino comes 6th in his first season. Do we sack him and appoint someone like Gary Neville who gets the club?

Ole is building a young talented squad and I feel he should get another summer to fill the gaps in the squad. When he finally leaves, he will leave us with a much better squad compared to the mess of a squad he inherited.
He’s building a talented squad, yet we have to wait until next season and him to “fill gaps” to see any progress whatsoever, what kind of horseshite is that?

Chairman Steve

I wonder how many times he will use the phrase "the boys" in his post-match interview tomorrow when we get smashed by Chelsea? With Spurs winning today and us now a virtually mid-table team (9th currently), how the feck is he still the manager....the mind boggles
But importantly they’ll be playing with a smile on their face, enjoying football, understanding the Utd way and having the Utd DNA :p

Castia

You're correct in terms of winning trophies.

However, I think Ole is doing well developing the squad with the type of players we're going after. At this stage, with no DoF in place, recruitment is key and I trust Ole with that.

You could have the best players in the world but without a capable manager in place it wont equal success. Ole seems to get a lot of credit in the transfer market but James is looking like a squad player at best, Maguire hasn't looked like a 80m defender, AWB has been the best signing thus far hes great defensively but looks a bit lost going forward.

Not exactly been great we're one point above Burnley, behind the likes of Sheff United and Everton in the league sitting in 9th, its a joke and given the run at the back end of last season doesn't deserve anymore time.

UnitedFan93

He’s building a talented squad, yet we have to wait until next season and him to “fill gaps” to see any progress whatsoever, what kind of horseshite is that?
Yes, because football in real life is not like football manager and things take time.

Take a look at the squad he inherited, it was a complete shambles. A squad made up of players signed by 3 different managers, with different styles and tactics, overpaid players with lazy attitudes.

What Ole has done with the squad should of been done years ago. We've had too many average players picking up big money despite putting in awful performances.

He has thinned the squad down and filled the holes in the squad with academy players. I absolutely think this was the right thing to do as wages were spiralling out of control. For the first time in years it feels like we have a recruitment strategy in place and the holes in the squad are clearly identifiable, which makes signing the right players much easier.

Ole is putting the club first. You won't see Sanchez, Falcao, Schweinsteiger type signings under him. He is thinking long term and because of that we will benefit in the long term, whether he is the manager or not.

el3mel

Keep him.

Enough of this nonsense. Anything Ole is doing, Poch can just keep it up and do it in a much better way, if there's actually anything he's doing that's worth keeping.

Roboc7

Keep him.

It’s essential someone comes in and rips up Ole’s culture, tactics and playing style. This is worst we’ve been for decades so I don’t think there is anything to fear from change now.

Ole is taking us backwards all the next manager has to do is move us forwards, that might be best part of Ole’s legacy, the next guy can’t be worse.

The club has changed the transfer approach not Ole, all he is doing is complying with it which next manager will have to do as well.

Last edited:

UnitedFan93

You could have the best players in the world but without a capable manager in place it wont equal success. Ole seems to get a lot of credit in the transfer market but James is looking like a squad player at best, Maguire hasn't looked like a 80m defender, AWB has been the best signing thus far hes great defensively but looks a bit lost going forward.

Not exactly been great we're one point above Burnley, behind the likes of Sheff United and Everton in the league sitting in 9th, its a joke and given the run at the back end of last season doesn't deserve anymore time.
We've appointed capable managers in the past, serial winners in LVG and Mourinho and still got nowhere near winning a major trophy. These managers failed because they didn't understand the club. I think Ole does based the type/age of players that we are going after.

The league position isn't good enough, I agree. However, when Ole thinned the squad down last summer (which was needed), he probably wasn't expecting Pogba to take the year off. Plus the injuries to Mctominay and Rashford haven't helped, as they came at really bad times in the season.

I like the squad that he is putting together and the inclusion of the likes of Greenwood and Williams. Give him the summer and if next season he's struggling then I think we should reconsider his position then.

Status
Not open for further replies.