Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alabaster Codify7

If it's just about PL records should we ask Chris Wilder if he fancies the job?

It depends man, on what the criteria is. I personally wouldn't want Chris Wilder as our manager but if the criteria is simply 'is he a better football manager than Ole' then yes. Chris Wilder is proving himself to be a better manager than Ole, not just this season but last season in a division that Ole almost got relegated from despite spending a fortune, with his club cutting him loose to save themselves (and it worked, unsurprisingly).

Wilder is better than Ole. That doesn't mean he's fit for the United job - if that was the criteria, any PL manager currently would be in contention for the role.

Amir

We've appointed capable managers in the past, serial winners in LVG and Mourinho and still got nowhere near winning a major trophy. These managers failed because they didn't understand the club. I think Ole does based the type/age of players that we are going after.
These managers failed because they were past it.

This is the worst thing to have come off LVG and Mourinho's tenure - the excuse that proven managers have failed, so there's no extra value in appointing ones.

Rolaholic

Would be much easier to justify if the signs of improvement or development of a cohesive identity/style on the pitch (like when Klopp took over who so many seem to bring up in defense of Ole) were there but alas, we have yet to see it...

vanderpants

Would be much easier to justify if the signs of improvement or development of a cohesive identity/style on the pitch (like when Klopp took over who so many seem to bring up in defense of Ole) were there but alas, we have yet to see it...
Wow 41 points ! This just wouldn't happen in the club's mentioned above plus quite a few other big club's too. The frightening thing is ,I can't see it improving under Ole next season

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Wow 41 points ! This just wouldn't happen in the club's mentioned above plus quite a few other big club's too. The frightening thing is ,I can't see it improving under Ole next season
The Ole in crowd will say "41 points is an unfair comparison because Liverpool are having a record-breaking season".

Even though the same people were happy to dismiss Jose's second place because we finished 19 points behind City (who were also having a record-breaking season).

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Guarantee you Ole is in charge come August
It’s like if the titanic had GPS, sonar all of today’s motion sensors and knew way in advanced it was on course to hit a huge iceberg but decided not to change course due to its dna was “it was the unskinkable ship”

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Hehe no, I'm not going to dig any deeper, the 2+ goals statistic that I've put in addresses the 'late goals' point you've brought up, unless you're going to show me the 3-4 instances (out of 260 games) where we've fired 2 goals in quick succession but then I presume you'd shift the goal posts again about what constitutes a 'late goal'. I mean, that's what the ardent 'Ole inners' are about now though, dealing in absurd examples and comparisons, unable to refute any statistical breakdown of Ole's tenure, clinging to intangible concepts as those are more difficult to disprove (subjectivity kicks in here) as any factual, statistics based argumentation just cannot be refuted at this point, whether it's about the money spent, the worst start in XX years or some other embarrassing statistic. Then you've always got the childish 'Hurr durr I was a football coach if you cannot see progress you're clueless' (so am I by the way, I wouldn't bring up my badges to try and discard somebody's opinion here on a matter that's very much in the 'discussable' terrain) and the classic 'have you ever been to OT???'.

It's pretty much what you're left with, trying to defend the indefensible, just like the flat Earthers. It just reeks of pure desperation and quite frankly no longer seems to have the club's good at heart when you're trying (intentionally or not) to downplay the achievements of the best football coach in the history in order to, through mental gymnastics, defend the worst manager we've had for God knows how many years. It's just embarrassing really.
I'll stick to my memories thanks which go back a long time before SAF hence the use of historically, and you stick to finding ways to be offended by anybody that dare suggest a Manager deserves more time, for whatever reason.

You're an intelligent guy, your post above and previous ones suggests that, more so presuming English isn't your first language, but it's almost as though you take it personally, I just don't get that. And I probably never will. It's just football, not life or death.

DJW

He just has to go... no sane fan can argue we are improving.
Sheffield Utd and Leicester have proved you don’t need 17 transfer windows and a 5 year rebuild to make huge progress you need a competent manager end of argument.

AC1689

Eff me there’s some serious delusion on here. I actually laugh out loud every time I read the likes of fergiesarmy and unitedfan93 posts. We deserve everything we get if most of our fanbase are like this.

Arsenal are shambolic and have sacked their inept manager. Yet they still only sit one point behind us. We are ninth for goodness sake. The never ending excuses being made are beyond asinine.

Lee565

Eff me there’s some serious delusion on here. I actually laugh out loud every time I read the likes of fergiesarmy and unitedfan93 posts. We deserve everything we get if most of our fanbase are like this.

Arsenal are shambolic and have sacked their inept manager. Yet they still only sit one point behind us. We are ninth for goodness sake. The never ending excuses being made are beyond asinine.
Yeah considering the state spurs, everton and arsenal were in during the first half of the season and decided to change managers, they all could easily finish above us but of course the Ole in brigade will tell ya that changing halfway through the season doesnt work well and that there are supposedly no managers out there that would be better than what we have in Ole ffs.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes

I've just started laughing too now mate :lol:. Genuinely chuckling at how low the bar can get set and how the goalposts just shift based on whatever the argument of fancy is per day.

My favourite of today was '£200m isn't enough to improve a team in today's modern football'

Castia

We've appointed capable managers in the past, serial winners in LVG and Mourinho and still got nowhere near winning a major trophy. These managers failed because they didn't understand the club. I think Ole does based the type/age of players that we are going after.

The league position isn't good enough, I agree. However, when Ole thinned the squad down last summer (which was needed), he probably wasn't expecting Pogba to take the year off. Plus the injuries to Mctominay and Rashford haven't helped, as they came at really bad times in the season.

I like the squad that he is putting together and the inclusion of the likes of Greenwood and Williams. Give him the summer and if next season he's struggling then I think we should reconsider his position then.
Even those managers you mentioned LvG won the FA cup and got top 4 , Jose came second and won the Caraboe and Europa...even those relatively low standard are still miles ahead of where Ole looks to be going, we have honestly never been this bad since SAF retired, even Moyes had a better season we could be in 11th place this time next week we can’t carry on with that.

UnitedFan93

It’s got to a point now where I swear Woodward and Solskjaer have employed an army of people to create redcafe and twitter accounts purely to heap praise on Ole. There is no other conceivable explanation. Either that or they’ve all had a stroke.
Disgusting comment

Coops73

If we lose tomorrow it wouldn’t surprise me if he got the hook but equally it wouldn’t surprise me if Woody stuck by him, I just don’t know who we would get in if he was sacked now? Isn’t Pochettino unavailable until the end of the season? In which case, who comes in till then?Carrick or Phelan caretaking? But if we do lose I think we’re out of the running for a CL spot for sure.

Class of 63

Sourness
Sorry for the bolded part mate, but I could not think of a better analogy.

I think you are giving too much credit to the owners/CEO if you think they have thought through with the appointment. If they did, they wouldn't appoint Mourinho immediately after LvG with polar opposite philosophies or appoint Moyes at all in the first place. I think they trust too much these people with connections with the club and take their advice in big decisions, which includes SAF also (Moyes recommendation and I think he has something to do with Ole as well). They just took the easy option with Ole based on the 10 game sample, otherwise, it wouldn't have turned to this level of shit if there was a plan.

Of course, there are no guarantees with anyone, but a year is enough time to show some sort of progress. And no getting rid of deadwood or buying players fit for the club are not progress. That's like saying, I made the schedule for study and bought the right books, but I forgot to study. I failed the exams but should be allowed to pass to next grade just because I did the former. Nobody cares if you made all the preparations if you cannot show it when it matters.
I think the Mourinho appointment stank of "well if that's who the fans want let's go for it, they are not gonna stop till we do, let 'em find out the hard way he isn't suited to the club"

And too much is made of differing philosophies, its 11 v 11, if the coach, and more importantly the players are good enough professional players should be able to switch from defend for your lives tactics to everybody forward leave defending to chance tactics within a few months. at most.

Mainoldo

I think the Mourinho appointment stank of "well if that's who the fans want let's go for it, they are not gonna stop till we do, let 'em find out the hard way he isn't suited to the club"

And too much is made of differing philosophies, its 11 v 11, if the coach, and more importantly the players are good enough professional players should be able to switch from defend for your lives tactics to everybody forward leave defending to chance tactics within a few months. at most.
So what exactly is your point?

Class of 63

Sourness
Woodward has many faults. Hiring managers who don't suit the club or aren't good enough are his biggest ones but no one can accuse him of not backing the managers in the transfer market and that's enough for a good manager to forget about what's happening further up the ladder and actually get us back in contention again.
Try running that by Jose Mourinho and his fluffers. ;)

Lee565

If we lose tomorrow it wouldn’t surprise me if he got the hook but equally it wouldn’t surprise me if Woody stuck by him, I just don’t know who we would get in if he was sacked now? Isn’t Pochettino unavailable until the end of the season? In which case, who comes in till then?Carrick or Phelan caretaking? But if we do lose I think we’re out of the running for a CL spot for sure.
There is still the Europa league and if we can reach the latest stages of the competition with a different manager and the likes of rashford, mctominay, pogba back from injury we would have a good chance of winning it.

Joseunited

I think Ole's tenure is now hanging by a thread, what with Woodward saying we need to be challenging for the premier league/Europe.The papers are more vocal about him being under pressur and results over the weekend going against us.Defeat tomorrow and I reckon a decision will have to be made.

Loved him as a player but feck me i'm tired of him as United's manager.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I'll stick to my memories thanks which go back a long time before SAF hence the use of historically, and you stick to finding ways to be offended by anybody that dare suggest a Manager deserves more time, for whatever reason.

You're an intelligent guy, your post above and previous ones suggests that, more so presuming English isn't your first language, but it's almost as though you take it personally, I just don't get that. And I probably never will. It's just football, not life or death.
Nah man, I don't, I'm just a cnut and I presume it's showing in my tone. Just to make myself clear on that, I was referring purely to the 'SAF's golden years' bit, I'm well aware of what has happened before SAF and during his first couple of years. I guess that for me it's just beyond understanding at this point how Ole gets so much support (as a coach, mind) but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Don't take this personally one bit.

Hellboy

100 % bro it's mad !

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I just can't find any sane reason why Ole is qualified to be Man Utd manager.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He just has to go... no sane fan can argue we are improving.
Sheffield Utd and Leicester have proved you don’t need 17 transfer windows and a 5 year rebuild to make huge progress you need a competent manager end of argument.
And to those you can add Everton.
Just goes to show what a proper manager can achieve in a relatively short time.

Acquire Me

Ole had that effect when he took the helm from Jose. It means nothing tbh. Our situation was the same regardless. We had to rebuild and we are on our way in that regard.

Acquire Me

Is it? You talk like its absurd to think that Ole probably just isn't a good manager
No no, I am not convinced by Ole. I just want the rebuild. We can’t have more managers, new style of play and new type of players year after year. We need some consistency.

It might be the next manager who takes us to the very top again for all I know. Either way, that manager will benefit from a proper rebuild.

DJW

Exactly... hardly luck all three clubs have played better football with generally inferior players especially in Shef Utds case!

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
No no, I am not convinced by Ole. I just want the rebuild. We can’t have more managers, new style of play and new type of players year after year. We need some consistency.

It might be the next manager who takes us to the very top again for all I know. Either way, that manager will benefit from a proper rebuild.
Youre not convinced by ole but you want him to do the rebuild. Makes no scene whatsoever. like most ole in posts.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
These managers failed because they were past it.

This is the worst thing to have come off LVG and Mourinho's tenure - the excuse that proven managers have failed, so there's no extra value in appointing ones.
Even that excuse doesn't work imo, while both van Gaal and Mourinho were a shell of their former self. They are still 3/5 for CL football, and picked up 3 silverware to boot. 2.5 season of Moyes and Solskjaer would read 0/3 for CL football, and likely 0 silverware.

There's no substitute for managerial quality, people can lament van Gaal and Mourinho as failures and rightly so due to the vast sums wasted by duo but the only success we've seen post-Fergie have been under those two. Not under Moyes/Solskjaer who were/are trying to do things the 'United Way' (whatever the feck that means).

Acquire Me

Youre not convinced by ole but you want him to do the rebuild. Makes no scene whatsoever. like most ole in posts.
It makes perfect sense. You see, Ole has done perfect with the rebuild so far. I am more unsure when he actually got the players to compete. I hope he can be a elite manager, but I am not 100% convinced in that regard.

C'est Moi Cantona

Everything needs to change, not just Ole, yes a better manager will get more from their players, Jose, and to a lesser extent LvG have proved as much, but that isn't enough, so surely we need to beat the drum of a major overhaul throughout, and not just the continued Ole bashing threads, until such time we're ready to do that then I'm fairly passive to Ole staying or going.

90 + 5min

People are awake and swinging at Solskjaer and the club. I wonder what would happen if those people sometime would support the team?

What happened last season to City when KDB went down? :)
They didn't fell apart couse they had a squad where they could field 2 teams and come 1th and 3rd with Liverpool in between. Luxury we don't have when we get our players injured.

With respect that's whataboutery.

Man City have been hit with a number of issues but no one would question Peps credentials as he has a body of work behind him. Although if the team are no longer responding to his methods then replacing him is the right decision.

However, that has nothing to do with the situation at United as Ole has done nothing to prove he has the credentials to bring United back to the top regardless of the issues with the squad.

I'm sure things will improve once Fernandes beds in and Pogba/Mctominay etc are fit but I'll be surprised if there aren't still disjointed sub-par performances from this team.
£200 million may not be enough to build a title challenging side, but it's certainly enough to improve a squad that finished second six months before Ole's arrival and came within a whisker of finishing in the top four the following season.

Now we find ourselves in 9th position with a historically tough trip to Stamford Bridge next up. It doesn't look good does it?
Not when you have major squad problems.

It doesn't look that good, no. But that is not only on Solskjaer. I've said milion times before. We need time to fix our squad. We have avarege squad. And when our best players get injuried we are even worse.

It’s got to a point now where I swear Woodward and Solskjaer have employed an army of people to create redcafe and twitter accounts purely to heap praise on Ole. There is no other conceivable explanation. Either that or they’ve all had a stroke.
So that is your contribution? Us having stroke or being Woodward/Solskjaer army? If you look Close to what we write you will see that we are defending him. Not giving him praise. Two different things.

We have the most inept board of all the big teams in Europe. How on earth the biggest club in the country and maybe the world is managed by a novice, team relegating manager? the scariest part is not that, the scariest part there are fans believe in him :lol:. What a mess.
I Believe that managers need time. I don't believe in one-year solutions.

Enough of this nonsense. Anything Ole is doing, Poch can just keep it up and do it in a much better way, if there's actually anything he's doing that's worth keeping.
That is just a theory. Noone can guarantee that. What if, just for fun, Pochettino comes in tommorow and loses 10 games in row. Would you back him and give him time or would you say, he should be doing lot better and sack him in summer?

I've just started laughing too now mate :lol:. Genuinely chuckling at how low the bar can get set and how the goalposts just shift based on whatever the argument of fancy is per day.

My favourite of today was '£200m isn't enough to improve a team in today's modern football'
If you took a Little more time you will see what I meant with that. It is not that productive spreading lies.

Fooza

It makes perfect sense. You see, Ole has done perfect with the rebuild so far. I am more unsure when he actually got the players to compete. I hope he can be a elite manager, but I am not 100% convinced in that regard.
Not perfect by any means, can't see how you can call it 'perfect' and yet we have the worst points in the premier league. Isn't it as risky to get another manager to get us to the top later and should stick to Ole for the rebuild for now, I don't see any sense in that.

What if at that time, the manager we bring in strips the team again, he may not like the players Ole brought in. Or he has a completely different philosophy. Either way, we need to get the right manager in, if that's manager is available then Ole needs to go, not get him to rebuild, then find the 'top' manager. They may never be one available.

Status
Not open for further replies.