Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I can't wait to see City perform just as terribly as us on Monday because they had no pre season either.
Haha. Same. It's like there's no spectrum. Either we're in top shape and we play great, or we're not up to speed and therefor diabolical. We weren't in great shape, but that doesn't fully explain how terrible that performance was.

Foxbatt

If we end up below Liverpool, City, Chelsea Arsenal and Spurs then board is to be blamed. But getting thrashed at home by Crystal Palace? Surely we have better players than Palace?
Why is that Palace had a plan and system to work while we didn't? It's not as if they defended for their lives for 90 mind and got a penalty to win the match. They had better chances and if DeGea had not saved brilliantly we would have been two down in the first half.
People talk about pre season. Lack of pre season shouldn't be affecting in the first half or lack of a plan and a system.
It's lack of coaching and lack of good tactics.

rotherham_red

They weren't world class managers when they were at United. Both past it. Nobody told LVG to employ dreadfully ineffective tactics that sucked the soul out of the club. Nobody told Mourinho to self-immolate and tank the squad's morale. Don't think there is any evidence of either being a world class manager if one were basing it solely on their time at United.
Sorry, just want to clarify, are you saying the Holland manager who was fresh off leading them to 3rd at the world cup was past it? And likewise the Chelsea manager who just the season before had won the title at a canter was also not good enough?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I don’t believe he’s a good enough coach and I don’t think we’ll win anything with him. But I like his profile of players he wants to bring in and those who he wants to ship out.

The issue at our club isn’t the manager, we all know this and it’ll never properly change until the Glazers and Woodward have gone.

I’d stick with ole for now, because it’s about the only thing we haven’t tried.. and if we got another Jose in, with older players coming in, then it could set us back another 3-4 years

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Also with the excuse of too little rest. Bayern had one week less rest than us and they won 8-0 looking very fresh.
It is possible to keep up with the fitness for that time.
Don't be such a clown!

It's not Ole's fault he has mediocre players like Lingard, Lindelof, James etc...

We're allowed to call out the players, but if we mention a manager whose failed in the Prem once and done ok in Norway, then we're kneejerk idiots...

Ole's managerial resume is more mediocre than most of the players we have, yet he gets this magic pass and we are expected to blame everyone but him

JB7

I can't wait to see City perform just as terribly as us on Monday because they had no pre season either.
City who were able to rotate their squad all the way through lockdown because they’ve got 2 players for every position? And then backed their manager and signed the players he wanted in this window? That City?

dove

Kind of pointless now, should have been sacked over a year ago.

DJW

If we end up below Liverpool, City, Chelsea Arsenal and Spurs then board is to be blamed. But getting thrashed at home by Crystal Palace? Surely we have better players than Palace?
Why is that Palace had a plan and system to work while we didn't? It's not as if they defended for their lives for 90 mind and got a penalty to win the match. They had better chances and if DeGea had not saved brilliantly we would have been two down in the first half.
People talk about pre season. Lack of pre season shouldn't be affecting in the first half or lack of a plan and a system.
It's lack of coaching and lack of good tactics.
Exactly this... those players today with a competent tactically aware manager walks over that Palace team. Fans can blame Ed & the board all day long but a half decent manager has a great team at their disposal !! Enough quality for 3rd at least. Ole will be found out and sacked this season unfortunately.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
City who were able to rotate their squad all the way through lockdown because they’ve got 2 players for every position? And then backed their manager and signed the players he wanted in this window? That City?
They've made two squad signings and sold the former PL young player of the year.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Tactically outclassed by Hodgers today. But it doesn't help that the first 11 are practically comfortable now due to little challenge from the bench players, who're all largely poor.

I dont hold much hope of us getting out of a CL group, even if its a favourable one.

Tel074

The owners haven't backed him and he has been hung out to dry, no denying that. However, he's still not remotely good enough and that has been evident since he was handed a contract.

As long as Pochettino remains out of work I think the clock will start ticking for Solskjaer. A top quality manager is available to be snapped up for nothing.

What exactly has that top class manager won ? Turned Spurs into a decent top 4 team and shit the bed everytime they and a chance to get to a final or win a trophy . Then they fell apart and he got sacked . Top class ?

JB7

They've made two squad signings and sold the former PL young player of the year.
They’ve signed two players who’d be nailed on starters for most clubs in the division & already had two players for every position. We barely have one player of a good enough standard for each position. You are comparing totally different levels of squads.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
What exactly has that top class manager won ? Turned Spurs into a decent top 4 team and shit the bed everytime they and a chance to get to a final or win a trophy . Then they fell apart and he got sacked . Top class ?
Not saying I want Poch but I will say this.

He did more than a 'decent' job at Spurs, and considering they were never really favourites to win anything, and with little budget, I think he did very well for them

Massive Spanner

They’ve signed two players who’d be nailed on starters for most clubs in the division & already had two players for every position. We barely have one player of a good enough standard for each position. You are comparing totally different levels of squads.
They sold one of the best players in the league. We also bought a player who would be a nailed on starter for most clubs. Your statement was bullshit. Pep has been no more backed in the last few windows than Ole.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
But what he was saying is, he cant wait to see how City perform on Monday, considering they've had the exact same pre season as we have.
Plenty of people are saying that this loss is due to that.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Last season is finished. 1 match played, 1 loss.
Oh ok then. So I suppose we will judge everything from scratch? So, no comments about how we struggled to break low blocks early last season as well? Because, afterall it's a new season?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Your delusion towards Ole is hilarious

predator

Youth NITK
After seeing the spurs and City documentaries on amazon it gives you a better insight into how top level football clubs are run on a day to day basis.

People within the club be it the players, the manager, the staff are much more vocal behind closed doors and what we hear officially pre or post match is just what is acceptable.

I think Ole is not the type to pressure those above him into spending. Some managers would probably demand face to face and if that didnt work then they would publicly, yet subliminally, explain just how frustrated they are.

I basically am saying that we do not have a clue what is going on at carrington, what is being discussed by Ole and Woodward, by Woodward and Joel Glazer and what the players really think of it all.

I am not confident about this season atall and I hope its knee jerk due to todays result, how well other teams look and the lack of transfer activity.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Oh ok then. So I suppose we will judge everything from scratch? So, no comments about how we struggled to break low blocks early last season as well? Because, afterall it's a new season?
Haha. Exactly. I don't even remember what you're referring to.

Jest aside, I just think we've reached the point where he is under serious scrutiny, now he's got to show that he has what it takes to be a top manager. I'd also suggest that if any other manager was at the helm, with no playing experience at the club, more people would be doubtful about what they see in him.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
After seeing the spurs and City documentaries on amazon it gives you a better insight into how top level football clubs are run on a day to day basis.

People within the club be it the players, the manager, the staff are much more vocal behind closed doors and what we hear officially pre or post match is just what is acceptable.

I think Ole is not the type to pressure those above him into spending. Some managers would probably demand face to face and if that didnt work then they would publicly, yet subliminally, explain just how frustrated they are.

I basically am saying that we do not have a clue what is going on at carrington, what is being discussed by Ole and Woodward, by Woodward and Joel Glazer and what the players really think of it all.

I am not confident about this season atall and I hope its knee jerk due to todays result, how well other teams look and the lack of transfer activity.
More excuses for our club legend. Ole has spent 260m on players since he arrived, that will be 400m if he also gets Sancho. He just isnt good enough and never was.

JB7

They sold one of the best players in the league. We also bought a player who would be a nailed on starter for most clubs. Your statement was bullshit. Pep has been no more backed in the last few windows than Ole.
Last few windows being the last two seasons? I'm presuming that is something to do with City spending nearly £700m on players in the three years proceeding that you absolute weapon.

Your delusion towards Ole is hilarious
Supporting the manager who improved us in basically every sense over the past 18 months is delusion? We went from 6th to 3rd, every signing he has brought in has been a success - compare that with the abysmal hit-rate of Jose/LVG signings.

What is hilarious is the reaction of the glory fans on here who clamor for a big name manager (or a manager like Poch who has won feck all) and will wait for one defeat and jump to a disgrace of a thread like this on the first game of the fecking season.

Gazza

Sorry, just want to clarify, are you saying the Holland manager who was fresh off leading them to 3rd at the world cup was past it? And likewise the Chelsea manager who just the season before had won the title at a canter was also not good enough?
yes. As clearly demonstrated by their time at the club.

predator

Youth NITK
More excuses for our club legend. Ole has spent 260m on players since he arrived, that will be 400m if he also gets Sancho. He just isnt good enough and never was.
To be fair lad I dont know what made you respond like that because I'm just saying that we don't know what is going on behind closed doors. How much input does Ole have on signings compared to our cheif exec/owners for example?

I'm neither Ole in or out. Doesn't matter if he's a club legend or not. I just don't like jumping the gun. Yes it would be nice to see 'our Ole' take us places that Fergie did but i am not blind and realise that he may turn out to be dreadful. The club comes first and always will.

Since Fergie left there have been ups and downs but out of Moyes, LVG and Jose - Ole has shown the most promising signs,in my opinion of course.

Tel074

He did more than a 'decent' job at Spurs, and considering they were never really favourites to win anything, and with little budget, I think he did very well for them

Why quote me saying Poch did a decent job when I didn't even say that haha ..I said he turned Spurs into a decent top 4 team ? So again I can't see how anyone can call him a top class manager when he has won nothing at all .

He'sRaldo

It's no use.

For this club, the managerial position seems to be some kind of blind spot. Combine that with Ole being a legend as a player, and unfortunately we just have to let everything play out.

I never wanted to be bitter or hostile towards Ole, only ever asked that we act proactively to identify and secure the best managers, for the good of the club. But I don't think it will happen, and we'll most likely miss out again on whoever the next Klopp will be.

izec

make or break season for him. Finish outside top 4 with shit on a stick football, and he will get sacked. I think for good, he is out of his depth

Massive Spanner

Last few windows being the last two seasons? I'm presuming that is something to do with City spending nearly £700m on players in the three years proceeding that you absolute weapon.

Supporting the manager who improved us in basically every sense over the past 18 months is delusion? We went from 6th to 3rd, every signing he has brought in has been a success - compare that with the abysmal hit-rate of Jose/LVG signings.

What is hilarious is the reaction of the glory fans on here who clamor for a big name manager (or a manager like Poch who has won feck all) and will wait for one defeat and jump to a disgrace of a thread like this on the first game of the fecking season.
Yes, your statement was pure bullshit. You said Pep has been backed more this window than Ole which was proven to be nonsense and now you're just waxing lyrical about a myriad of other irrelevant arguments to what I disproved.

The idea that it's ok to excuse Ole a performance like today because of our lack of preseason but not another manager is hilarious regardless of the situation they are both in. It's just inane double standards

welshwingwizard

I swear some people would argue black is white to try and support their world view.

I get that you are pro Ole but
1) he hasn't really improved us in every sense unless you measure against our lowest times like end or Mourinho. It's only since January that we looked ok and that is really because of Bruno. He was about to get sacked before then
2) we went from 6th to 3rd but Mourinho got 2nd and won things. It didnt mean he was right for us. Like 3rd doesn't mean Ole is.
3) only Bruno has been a success. Wan bissaka and Maguire are up for debate and James isn't good enough. I make that 1 in 4.
4) Poch is clearly a top class manager who did a great job at spurs and got the best out of his team. Not winning things doesn't change that.

Tyrion

I've expressed doubts about OGS before but he obviously shouldnt be sacked after one game. Unless we're bottom 5 after well over a dozen games, he'd be safe until mid season which I'm fine with.

Agreed. Some are determined to dismiss everything he did at Spurs because it makes OGS look better by comparison. Apparently he's a failure for not winning the league at Spurs.

It's no use.

For this club, the managerial position seems to be some kind of blind spot. Combine that with Ole being a legend as a player, and unfortunately we just have to let everything play out.

I never wanted to be bitter or hostile towards Ole, only ever asked that we act proactively to identify and secure the best managers, for the good of the club. But I don't think it will happen, and we'll most likely miss out again on whoever the next Klopp will be.
Noone in charge of the club has any knowledge of football. Without a DoF, we'll always be reacting and there womt be a consistent plan for managers or transfers. They might blunder their way onto a successful formula but that's it.

JB7

Yes, your statement was pure bullshit. You said Pep has been backed more this window than Ole which was proven to be nonsense and now you're just waxing lyrical about a myriad of other irrelevant arguments to what I disproved.

The idea that it's ok to excuse Ole a performance like today because of our lack of preseason but not another manager is hilarious regardless of the situation they are both in. It's just inane double standards
Nothing has been proven bullshit at all, he has been backed I don't see how anyone can suggest otherwise - they wanted a winger and a centre half and have got both (and appear to be on the verge of another centre back). You have literally disproven nothing at all, least of all the two top quality players to a position that City have which allowed them to rotate over the post-lockdown season - a luxury we simply do not have, as such as the end of the season our players were dead on their feet.

And I've not said I wouldn't excuse Guardiola if they did have a poor game. You're living up to your username massively - who replaces Ole then genius?

Massive Spanner

Nothing has been proven bullshit at all, he has been backed I don't see how anyone can suggest otherwise - they wanted a winger and a centre half and have got both (and appear to be on the verge of another centre back). You have literally disproven nothing at all, least of all the two top quality players to a position that City have which allowed them to rotate over the post-lockdown season - a luxury we simply do not have, as such as the end of the season our players were dead on their feet.

And I've not said I wouldn't excuse Guardiola if they did have a poor game. You're living up to your username massively - who replaces Ole then genius?
Why are you asking me? I haven't said he should be sacked after this game. I just said the idea that Pep has been backed because he got a half decent backup CB and a cheap winger to replace their excellent one Vs Ole getting a good midfielder is ridiculous. Maybe if Ole and the scouts also had targets other than a £108m player then we wouldn't be in this mess.

Ole has been backed plenty in the transfer market. The club not balling to Dortmund's huge transfer fee doesn't change that.

Anyway, as I said, I look forward to City putting in a crap performance on Monday too seeing as supposedly the only reason we played the worst I've seen us play in many years today is because we didn't have a pre season, oh and because the squad is shit, oh and the board, and the scouts, and the coaches, but not Ole, not the man responsible for most of the big decisions, nope!

JB7

I swear some people would argue black is white to try and support their world view.

I get that you are pro Ole but
1) he hasn't really improved us in every sense unless you measure against our lowest times like end or Mourinho. It's only since January that we looked ok and that is really because of Bruno. He was about to get sacked before then
2) we went from 6th to 3rd but Mourinho got 2nd and won things. It didnt mean he was right for us. Like 3rd doesn't mean Ole is.
3) only Bruno has been a success. Wan bissaka and Maguire are up for debate and James isn't good enough. I make that 1 in 4.
4) Poch is clearly a top class manager who did a great job at spurs and got the best out of his team. Not winning things doesn't change that.
I'm not even pro-Ole hugely, I'm pro not changing the manager 5 times a season like most posters on here seem to want and realise there are mitigating circumstances in football that posters seem to want to overlook.

1 - We have definitely improved in terms of mentality and watchability, general play is much better and the tempo we play at is more aligned with a United side. I don't think it was ever likely that he was going to be sacked mid season.
2 - I agree, getting to 2nd and two trophies was a great achievement at the time and then the board let him down & we were introduced to toxic-Jose and the impact that had on the squad was horrendous.
3 - Wan Bissaka and Maguire have clearly been successes. AWB is exceptional and Maguire seems to get hate mainly because he's slow on FIFA and people pull him apart in meme, in actual defending he is levels above Lindelof and is badly let down by him. James was a £10m punt and it doesn't look like he'll make it granted, but he's still a better option than we would have otherwise had.
4 - He's not though is he? He did a good job for a period at Spurs but could not take them as far as they should have gone towards the end, impact was intense but fizzled out.

JB7

Why are you asking me? I haven't said he should be sacked after this game. I just said the idea that Pep has been backed because he got a half decent backup CB and a cheap winger to replace their excellent one Vs Ole getting a good midfielder is ridiculous. Maybe if Ole and the scouts also had targets other than a £108m player then we wouldn't be in this mess.

Ole has been backed plenty in the transfer market. The club not balling to Dortmund's huge transfer fee doesn't change that.

Anyway, as I said, I look forward to City putting in a crap performance on Monday too seeing as supposedly the only reason we played the worst I've seen us play in many years today is because we didn't have a pre season, oh and because the squad is shit, oh and the board, and the scouts, and the coaches, but not Ole, not the man responsible for most of the big decisions, nope!
I mean, the chances are by the time they play Wolves they'll have dropped nearly £100m on centre backs this window to supplement the £60m and £50m centre backs already at the club. That is serious backing. They are also up against a Wolves team who have had a pre-season just as messed up as theres/ours.

Tbh I prefer us picking a specific target and going all out for that player rather than looking for a series of attributes & drawing up a list of 10 targets like you might on FM.

Solskjaer has his flaws at times obviously but tell me, today what are we doing differently with the players available if the manager is Pochettino or anyone else? The team pretty much picked itself with who was fit enough to play, maybe VDB should have played over Pogba (but then not playing Pogba seems to get him slated by the Pogba fanboys), Rashford and Greenwood sat too wide & Pogba-McT-Bruno would've worked better as a 3 in midfield against Palace than a 4-2-3-1 shape but Pogba clearly didn't have the energy levels to cover the left so we played a shape to accommodate him & other players playing at probably 60-70% fit such as Rashford - it didn't work today but I don't see how people cannot see past the result and look to the circumstances and levels of the players in terms of sharpness/fitness compared with Palace.

rotherham_red

yes. As clearly demonstrated by their time at the club.
Or, alternatively the club chose to play silly buggers with their resources and didn't have the stomach for the full-scale rebuild? As poor as both were, it's now 3 managers who have been here for a prolonged period of time who have come up against the exact same issues.

We could have the darling of the media and of some supposed Utd fans in Poch and it'll be the exact same issues which will eventually come up. These managers may or may not have been good enough but, they and we were never really given the chance to find out.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I'm not even pro-Ole hugely, I'm pro not changing the manager 5 times a season like most posters on here seem to want and realise there are mitigating circumstances in football that posters seem to want to overlook.

1 - We have definitely improved in terms of mentality and watchability, general play is much better and the tempo we play at is more aligned with a United side. I don't think it was ever likely that he was going to be sacked mid season.
2 - I agree, getting to 2nd and two trophies was a great achievement at the time and then the board let him down & we were introduced to toxic-Jose and the impact that had on the squad was horrendous.
3 - Wan Bissaka and Maguire have clearly been successes. AWB is exceptional and Maguire seems to get hate mainly because he's slow on FIFA and people pull him apart in meme, in actual defending he is levels above Lindelof and is badly let down by him. James was a £10m punt and it doesn't look like he'll make it granted, but he's still a better option than we would have otherwise had.
4 - He's not though is he? He did a good job for a period at Spurs but could not take them as far as they should have gone towards the end, impact was intense but fizzled out.
Bayern, Juve, Real, Barca...are changing managers every season. And? How is that working for them? What is the problem in changing the manager? If he works good you keep him, if not you sack him. Stop living in the past. Managers come and go. Players the same. There are no more one club players or managers who stick 10 years in the same club.

Ole's signing are not success. Maguire and AWB had hot and cold season and showed some big flaws ( so they will be success maybe but they are not at the moment). James is awful. Player who is clearly not good enough for this club and is amazing how he was signed at the first place. Ighalo had good role when we loaned him and after that nothing. Bruno is success. We shall see what will happen with VDB.
Our general play is better than under Jose in last year but after two years you would expect to be much much better.

Ole did solid job in lets say transition. Cleared some deadwood, bought new younger players and put us back in CL. Now is time to let quality manager to continue because Ole is too limited to challenge for title. Even if we give him another 300 mil for players.
I don't give a feck what rival fans think but when all of them are happy about Ole being our manager...well, that says something.

rotherham_red

Bayern, Juve, Real, Barca...are changing managers every season. And? How is that working for them? What is the problem in changing the manager? If he works good you keep him, if not you sack him. Stop living in the past. Managers come and go. Players the same. There are no more one club players or managers who stick 10 years in the same club.

Ole's signing are not success. Maguire and AWB had hot and cold season and showed some big flaws ( so they will be success maybe but they are not at the moment). James is awful. Player who is clearly not good enough for this club and is amazing how he was signed at the first place. Ighalo had good role when we loaned him and after that nothing. Bruno is success. We shall see what will happen with VDB.
Our general play is better than under Jose in last year but after two years you would expect to be much much better.

Ole did solid job in lets say transition. Cleared some deadwood, bought new younger players and put us back in CL. Now is time to let quality manager to continue because Ole is too limited to challenge for title. Even if we give him another 300 mil for players.
I don't give a feck what rival fans think but when all of them are happy about Ole being our manager...well, that says something.
Are Bayern, Barca, Juve and Real in leagues where they face severe competition to make it to just the Top 4, or no? Therein lies your answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.