Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

Clearly learning on the job and irrespective of the performances, he's not going anywhere anytime so....

soapythecat

Arteta playing electric football and wolves being a good side to watch. I mean why write 4 paragraphs of bs when you can just say I don't rate Ole. Would be much easier for others to take you seriously.
I’m giving plausible explanations as to whom I think has shown To have implemented a style of football on a team in or near the same amount of time Ole has been in the job.
If you don’t agree fine, but surely it’s better than just coming on here and staying whether I feel Ole is up to it or not.
If you have watched Arsenal recently (especially in the last few games of the FaCup) or Wolves and can’t agree that they have a clear style and play good football, then I’ll disagree with you and move on.
If you don’t agree with people expressing an opinion then perhaps a forum ain’t for you lad.

saivet

They weren’t washed up when they arrived at United. They were washed up when they left.
LVG's peak as a club manager was in the late 90s and equally there were question marks over Mourinho from his last season at Chelsea. With Mourinho perhaps it's more hindsight, but it clearly wasn't the same Mourinho at Porto, Chelsea (first time) or Inter.

R'hllor

Putting on a side Ole in/out mental stuff, there is no hiding behind the result today, that was fecking awful but its not first time in last years, far from it. Majority forgot our 1st half of our last season after Bruno joined, best part of all it was drivel like "imagine if we had Bruno from the start", how deluded and blind can you be.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
That remains to be seen in Jose's case and LVG took an average Dutch side a long way in the world cup prior to his arrival at United.
[/QUOTE
LVG was a dinosaur when we hired him. Anyone who watched European football knew that.

JustAGuest

Maybe he don't need excuses, cause he has been doing pretty good, given the state of the club he inherited. Lets do some facts instead:
1. Since January, he has lost a grand total of one, 1, Premier League match
2. He has been playing the youngest team in the league on average
3. His total win% is the 3rd best of any Utd manager
4. If we divide his Utd manager career in 2 equal parts, his win% in the most recent half equals Sir Alex win%. Progress!
I think overall he has performed well enough so far. We were the 3rd best team in the league last season, which is easy to forget right now.

dove

This is the problem with this thread, most people are directly comparing him with Klopp or Pep. And then looking at their history and assuming he can do the same with this squad. Last season it was even more hilarious, before we signed Bruno, people were insisting that the likes of Klopp could make Pereira and Lingard play like Salah and Mane. When you make up these little scenarios and stories in your head, then of course you'll lose your perspective when judging Ole, because its based on things that never happened.
How many more signings do you think we need for us to be at least decent? I think the biggest indication when a manager is clearly not good enough is when no matter how many signings he makes, the team still look same or even worse and it applies to Ole 100%. Can you honestly say we are better now than we were a year ago? To me we are not progressing at all, I would even say we are even getting worse and worse. When will some of you see that he is clearly not good enough to take us forward?

MoskvaRed

They both arrived with outstanding reputations and left with it in tatters, and Moyes was highly thought of before he arrived at United. I'm not trying to make excuses for Ole or anyone else for that, I'm simply trying to understand why 4 successive football managers (assuming Ole fails) were incapable of getting this club running as expected.

I refuse to believe it's something as simple as none of them being good enough, not with the amount of investment gone into the team post=Fergie.
You are stretching tbe argument to ridiculous lengths. Moyes was not highly thought of by the time he was appointed in 2013. Highly regarded managers don’t spend 12 years at one club aiming for 6th place. He was however an old family friend of SAF. With LVG and particularly Mourinho, it was harder to predict they would fail ex ante but a World Cup semi-final is not a reliable guide (Southgate? Martinez? Even Deschamps or whoever managed Croatia) while Mourinho’s exit from Chelsea and struggles at Spurs do not make United an outlier.

If you are saying United is dysfunctional as a club and a hard gig for any manager, I fully agree. But that shouldn’t mean we switch off our critical faculties and give the manager a free pass, particularly when the benchmark is Palace or Brighton (or even Sevilla) rather than Liverpool, City or Bayern Munich.

laughtersassassin

Will be here for a minimum of half this season and even that we would need to be in freefall for him to get fired. I just hope we have a miracle on the last 10 days of the indow so himselff and any manager that comes in actually has a suqad to workk with.

Right now we have about 14 players we can use.

Smores

Issue is we have a supporters who want our team to lose and can’t handle it when we win
Embarrassing yourself as usual.

Leave the rest of us to have a discussion that isn't just one sided fawning. Ole isn't the messiah he's a very naughty boy.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
This is the problem with this thread, most people are directly comparing him with Klopp or Pep. And then looking at their history and assuming he can do the same with this squad. Last season it was even more hilarious, before we signed Bruno, people were insisting that the likes of Klopp could make Pereira and Lingard play like Salah and Mane. When you make up these little scenarios and stories in your head, then of course you'll lose your perspective when judging Ole, because its based on things that never happened.
Wheres the comparison? I specifically said first 11. That tells you something about what I think of squad depth and quality at United.
There is no direct comparison in my post. None.

I said they would have the team purring and I'm convinced they would do a vastly better job than our manager is doing. Its evident on the pitch anyway. You only have to observe the way the players apply themselves for pep and klopp.

Jordan fecking Henderson is winning awards.
Are we saying Henderson is a better player than Pogba or does he just play with more intent and energy because he is coached and motivated well by his manager?
Evidence is pretty clear really.
There are some quality players at United but they are not coached well and that's evident when they play.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
but the thread is about sacking ole, after 2 games. that would be an insane decision. most fans use 'sacking' as a kind of a punishment driven by emotion, they want a sacking and then just 'get x manager' assuming that the world operates that simply. we can't even get players that want to join us, why people think we can cherry pick hipster managers 2 games into a new season is beyond me
Nail on fecking head., they say they "dont hate him" and that "we only want what is best for the club", but the truth is they are driven by vengeance and resentment more than common sense because to them its more important to say "told you so" than actually supporting the club. If you cant enjoy a dramatic win in overtime, undeserved or not, then honestly what joy do you get from watching football?

Sure, we were fecking diabolical again today, but if you actually watched the game it was plain to see that pretty much everyone was off the boil still and nowhere near match fit. Or, is it more likely that Ole coached them to be complete shit during the holidays or instructed them to dont even do the basics right.

Just to be clear, if we keep this up and have a stinker of a season he should be sacked like anyone else, but asking for it now, two bleeding games, into the season with no other plan than "this fancy manager i name dropped" then you are not being even slightly realistic. I have also read more than once now that "hes been here three years". In what fecking reality is December 2018 - September 2020 three years?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
There were plenty of people saying that LvG and Jose were past their best when they joined us. LvG was living off the back of the Netherland's world cup campaign whereas at club level he had poor spells at Bayern and Barca where he made poor signings, played bad football and alienated a lot of the star players. Sound familiar?

Jose won a trophy with Chelsea, then fell out with everyone and got sacked in his third season when they were languishing near the relegation zone. Sound familiar?
Talking of familiarities, all of our teams post-Fergie have suffered from the same inadequacies; inconsistent, lethargic performances across the team, struggling to break down defensive outfits, error-prone defenders, weak squads outside the first 11, on top of a costly, scattergun recruitment policy that has seen far more misses than hits.

There is a very distinct yet unidentifiable problem at the club right now, and it simply cannot be placed squarely on the shoulders of one man, the manager. I don't believe it's that simple.

Withnail

I’m giving plausible explanations as to whom I think has shown To have implemented a style of football on a team in or near the same amount of time Ole has been in the job.
If you don’t agree fine, but surely it’s better than just coming on here and staying whether I feel Ole is up to it or not.
If you have watched Arsenal recently (especially in the last few games of the FaCup) or Wolves and can’t agree that they have a clear style and play good football, then I’ll disagree with you and move on.
If you don’t agree with people expressing an opinion then perhaps a forum ain’t for you lad.
Wolves are an awful watch and Arsenal finished mid-table. They are quite inconsistent. Even after the covid break their form was mid-table.

If Ole had the team playing in the same manner as Arsenal and finished mid-table there isn't a chance you'd be backing him.

mu4c_20le

How many more signings do you think we need for us to be at least decent? I think the biggest indication when a manager is clearly not good enough is when no matter how many signings he makes, the team still look same or even worse and it applies to Ole 100%. Can you honestly say we are better now than we were a year ago? To me we are not progressing at all, I would even say we are even getting worse and worse. When will some of you see that he is clearly not good enough to take us forward?
Of course we are better, he got rid of a bunch of overpaid mercenaries and moaners, and replaced them with young hungry kids. The club is definitely in a better state. Out of all the post SAF managers, Ole is the only one i'd trust who doesn't have some other agenda other than restoring the United way to the club culture. I don't know how many more signings we need, but I do know that Klopp ended up replacing the entire XI. He started off with the likes of Lallana and Sturridge.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
@RedBanker

You're missing the point, mate, which was to say Ole would be the fourth failed managerial appointment since SAF retired. Four in a row.

It doesn't add up.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Talking of familiarities, all of our teams post-Fergie have suffered from the same inadequacies; inconsistent, lethargic performances across the team, struggling to break down defensive outfits, error-prone defenders, weak squads outside the first 11, on top of a costly, scattergun recruitment policy that has seen far more misses than hits.

There is a very distinct yet unidentifiable problem at the club right now, and it simply cannot be placed squarely on the shoulders of one man, the manager. I don't believe it's that simple.
I think it's quite clearly not just the manager and I don't see many people claiming otherwise but absolving the manager for blame is equally as stupid as putting all the blame on them.

Matriac

Embarrassing yourself as usual.

Leave the rest of us to have a discussion that isn't just one sided fawning. Ole isn't the messiah he's a very naughty boy.
Yeah, @sammsky1, stop with the one sided commentary in here and let the proper discussion progress in here.

flappyjay

Doesn't it strike you as odd that two equally distinguished managers as those you mention, LVG and Jose, performed well below expectations when they were in charge of United?
Too bad Lvg is retired so we can't gauge his post United career. If Jose does better at Spurs it would maybe prove your point at this stage it still looks like he was part of the problem.

R'hllor

What did haram end up like? Someone who passionately supported his team?
No, he was living in JM rectum (probably he is still there), every player that was in good grace of JM ( Lukaku ) was defended, others like Martial/Pogba have been seen as enemy of the club.

Yea, he was supporting his team so much, that he couldnt take JM and Lukaku departure, became a member of Inter forum when Lukaku got sold. People can check his gems of the posts there, some mental stuff. There is difference between supporting a club and what you and those who hating on Ole are doing, so you can drop whole being fan of Ole = supporting United bullshit.

Suedesi

I respect Ole the player/man, don't think he's the right coach for United long term.

However, I wouldn't rock the boat at the moment and let him finish the season which will be a dogfight with Spurs, Arsenal, Everton and Leicester for 4th.

dove

Of course we are better, he got rid of a bunch of overpaid mercenaries and moaners, and replaced them with young hungry kids. The club is definitely in a better state. Out of all the post SAF managers, Ole is the only one i'd trust who doesn't have some other agenda other than restoring the United way to the club culture. I don't know how many more signings we need, but I do know that Klopp ended up replacing the entire XI. He started off with the likes of Lallana and Sturridge.
I am talking about our results/performances, not the state of squad. I don't think we improved at all and well, points prove that. I generally like Ole's ideas and the type of players he targets but it doesn't make him a good manager and he clearly isn't one. I think our first XI is very good on paper (except RW) and with a good manager we could be much much better.

AshRK

I have watched arsenal more than one game where they fluked by beating city or the game where west ham outplayed arsenal last week. Again you don't need to like ole or rate him but Arteta's arsenal play a boring brand of football. So far he looks like moyes lite than pep's lite. If you feel what arsenal play nowadays has a style then I don't know what to say but no I will not have arteta has our manager as we already had moyes and a shit version of jose manage us.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think it's quite clearly not just the manager and I don't see many people claiming otherwise but absolving the manager for blame is equally as stupid as putting all the blame on them.
But then you have to decide where to place the blame and set about fixing it, no?

Truth is (in my eyes anyway) neither Klopp nor Pep would be guaranteed to succeed here, in spite of their excellent records, due to the fact that our club is run so poorly.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
But then you have to decide where to place the blame and set about fixing it, no?

Truth is (in my eyes anyway) neither Klopp nor Pep would be guaranteed to succeed here, in spite of their excellent records, due to the fact that our club is run so poorly.
Eh.. I place the blame on both the board and the manager. Unfortunately, we can't replace the board, we can replace the manager with a better one. I'm not advocating it at the moment but if this level of performance keeps up for too much longer then questions need to be asked.

Liverpool were a mess when Klopp took over so I strongly disagree.

Zen86

LVG's peak as a club manager was in the late 90s and equally there were question marks over Mourinho from his last season at Chelsea. With Mourinho perhaps it's more hindsight, but it clearly wasn't the same Mourinho at Porto, Chelsea (first time) or Inter.
It’s very obviously all in hindsight. We didn’t hire these managers because we were in the market for washed up has beens, we were after the best. Nobody complained when we hired them (apart from Mourinho, but that’s more his brand of football), their stock was still very high.

keithsingleton

I’ve yet to see one shred of substance quantitative evidence which merits the frustrations or concerns people complain about so viciously in this thread.

Must have asked 10 times but all I get in return is unmeasurable and pretentious crap like ‘patterns of play’ or ‘progressive pressing’ or ‘modern coaching’ or ‘team shape and triggers‘. I must say, I’ve never seen any of these guys on the team sheet or score a goal.

It all just strikes me of people trying to pretend they know stuff about football. it’s why I cant take any of it seriously.
Ok Mr smart arse you tell us why Ole the right man for job and tell us doubters why we're wrong??

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
No, he was living in JM rectum (probably he is still there), every player that was in good grace of JM ( Lukaku ) was defended, others like Martial/Pogba have been seen as enemy of the club.
Yea, he was supporting his team so much, that he couldn't take JM and Lukaku departure, became a member of Inter forum when Lukaku got sold. People can check his gems of the posts there, some mental stuff. There is difference between supporting a club and what you and those who hating on Ole are doing, so you can drop whole being fan of Ole = supporting United bullshit.
Thats funny of that true.

As for living on Ole's rectum, not true at all. Football is about winning games and teams making forward progress in the trophies they compete for. Ive seen Ole deliver all of that in his 18 months. And when I ask for substantive evidence that he is destroying my club, no one can provide any.

I also cant see how wanting a manager to fail, and only being active on this forum when you think his team plays bad can be 'supportive', and is the dicer opposite of the definition of being a supporter. But hey, that's just me. I've been a supporter of this club since early days of Ron Atkinson, so doubt I'll change my colours anytime soon.

R'hllor

He gets really pissed off over this topic daily :lol:
fecking had enough of those mentalist, first JM cult and now this. Whats good its good and should be praised, whats bad its bad, simple. Nobody in here ever mentioned Ole name after JM got sacked, nobody until his name started circulating on twitter and news. Now we have them comparing him with Klopp and similar level of managers.

Bunch of lunatics, last year or so you couldnt even praise some other manager in here, hell even mentioning their names, they would see it as some weird attempt of attack on Ole. Afro got sold, well done Ole, Jones got new contract, ah nah, he has nothing to with that, bonkers.

Matriac

Ok Mr smart arse you tell us why Ole the right man for job and tell us doubters why we're wrong??
If the Ole doubters can put out arguments for why he is the wrong choice, and as some claim, causing debilitating damage to the club, other than saying "just watch the games".

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Ive done so plenty of times in this thread before, you're welcome to go back and have a look. But the real ones are forward progress in the league and just about every other metric.

R'hllor

Thats funny of that true.

As for living on Ole's rectum, not true at all. Football is about winning games and teams making forward progress in the trophies they compete for. Ive seen Ole deliver all of that in his 18 months. And when I ask for substantive evidence that he is destroying my club, no one can provide any.

I also cant see how wanting a manager to fail, and only being active on this forum when you think his team plays bad can be 'supportive', and is the dicer opposite of the definition of being a supporter. But hey, that's just me. I've been a supporter of this club since early days of Ron Atkinson, so doubt I'll change my colours anytime soon.
Dunno who is claiming that, maybe overheated few on hate train but people who are expressing their issues with things that everyone can see, from performances, game managment, to squad related stuff, doubt anyone of them claiming that Ole gonna bury us under the ground.

Godfather

I have a suspicion that people insisting on him are either fans from other clubs or on a massive WUM.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
You're missing the point, mate, which was to say Ole would be the fourth failed managerial appointment since SAF retired. Four in a row.

It doesn't add up.
These things happen. Modern day footie is about chopping and changing till you get it right. How many managers did Barca have in a decade before they stumbled on Guardiola? 6 managers.
How many after Guardiola? 6 managers in 8 years. To be even more precise they have had 13 managers in 22 years. They have won the league 12 times in this period. And CL Four times. Top clubs are no longer driven by sentiment. Question is do we still consider ourselves a top club. Or is the elusive desire to find the next SAF going to be our undoing?

Status
Not open for further replies.