Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skåre Willoch

Great individual performances by a lot of the squad players today, without any plan, coaching or tactics involved at all.

Skåre Willoch

Can’t believe some fans on here are using this victory over our b team over Brighton B team as some type of progress. Has Ole really lower our standards so much? Our most expensive player on the pitch probably cost more than Brighton full 11 today. Nevertheless, it good to see that we aren’t completely shite at football to loose to Brighton B side. Now hopefully, we can do much better in the games that matter and not rely so much on luck and set piece. Despite Spurs schedule congestion, they will still be a tough match. Hopefully, it won’t be another step backwards after Sunday.
Wow. We won. 3-0. Our b-team vs. their b-team. Cheer up, lad. Just enjoy the win tonight, and go back to the doom-and-gloom tomorrow.

Shark

@NotShark
We beat a second-string Brighton side, well done. Nothing to go crazy about. We weren't even that impressive.
Indeed, this match really isn't one to be playing gotcha, no matter what side you're on in regards to Ole's ability as a manager.

pav1790

Some of you lot are so miserable I wonder why you watch sports at all. The whole point of being a fan of a team is you get to enjoy the win even if your team plays badly.

OrcaFat

Ole and his coaches did a great job today. Well planned, controlled the game nicely. Good team selection, good subs. Proved again that they can get a much changed eleven playing some decent stuff and get the ball in the net three times without conceding. No surprise beating Brighton but a few more signs that we’re going to have a good season

K Stand Knut

Some of you lot are so miserable I wonder why you watch sports at all. The whole point of being a fan of a team is you get to enjoy the win even if your team plays badly.
modern day football fan.

I can think of a few other words that I would use to describe them but probably not wise on here.

Can almost guarantee that theyd have been same ones calling for LVG’s head, and Mourinho’s and will call for all future heads.

spoilt rotten because of Fergie and now expect us to breeze through everything with it served on a silver platter.

fecking pathetic. No wonder the Glazers and Woodward behave like they do. There is so much divide in the fans that it doesn matter what they do

Paul_Scholes18

agree it was a good win tonight.
Maybe we can finally win a title!
Soon CL too so lots of games and hopefully our full squad can step up for the big games.

Matriac

A convincing 3-0 win today.
A shame it wasn't our First 11 so I could be happy about it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
"Manchester United’s Carabao Cup win at Brighton & Hove Albion means we’ve now gone unbeaten in 16 away matches in all competitions – our longest such run since 1999."

Take that haters.
Ole already challenging some of SAFs records.

And he achieved this without knowing how to coach patterns of play, when to make effective substitutions, not teaching his players zonal positioning from which to apply the press and being totally reliant on individual brilliance.

We are a club going downhill because OleOUTer’s tell us such consistency is impossible without a clear style of play and will get found out after a few games .... :wenger:

just imagine what other cool records OGS might break when he learns all this cool stuff from the genius coaching analysts on this thread. Can someone ask Ole to have a read?

Last edited:

RashysTekkers

Jesus. I thought we lost the game 3-0 with the state of the replies in this thread.
Some people are just so bitter that they cant even enjoy seeing their football team winning a game. The 'individual brilliance won us the game' that some of the 'fans' here are peddling is just bollocks.

ghagua

Teams in the same situation as us are struggling in equal measure to start of the season. All those Premier League teams didn't suddenly suck at training.
Have you been watching United's games at all? Are you satisfied with the shite that has been played in those matches? It's not about the ability, it's about the intensity shown on the pitch. This level of intensity should not be accepted at the start of the season. You mention other teams, they may not be getting the results, but have a look around, no one is playing as if they are on the training ground.

jackal&hyde

Have you been watching United's games at all? Are you satisfied with the shite that has been played in those matches? It's not about the ability, it's about the intensity shown on the pitch. This level of intensity should not be accepted at the start of the season. You mention other teams, they may not be getting the results, but have a look around, no one is playing as if they are on the training ground.
:lol:

Zen86

I thought this was a parody for a second but no, the Ole-outers in a nutshell. Embarrassing.

jackal&hyde

I thought this was a parody for a second but no, the Ole-outers in a nutshell. Embarrassing.
Imagine coming to the point where you can no longer enjoy you club winning. What's the point of fallowing football then? I worry a little about the mental health of some of our fans.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
The issue is, none of that is new.

We've blooded youngsters under LVG and Mourinho. Recruited good players under them. Players have flourished under them as well. We got 2nd under Mourinho, won the Europa League with him as well as the F.A Cup under LVG. Ole's not really breaking completely new ground.

Both of those coaches eventually were sacked because even though there were positives, they couldn't take us forward past a certain point; and a lot of us worry that it's the same pattern with Ole. A bunch of positives, some glaring question marks, and ultimately unable to take us to where we eventually need to be.

Some people advocate for more time, but to what end? I personally don't think more time makes limitations disappear, but I acknowledge that not every situation is the same. Who knows, maybe time is actually the solution and our previous coaches just didn't have enough of it.
Of course there were positives under the former managers. No one can claim otherwise.

LvG did some really good transfers like Shaw, Martial and Blind, but also a bunch of really bad ones. Personally i was ambivalent to him getting sacked since he had just won the FA cup. What ultimately got him sacked though was doing worse his 2nd season than he did in his first, but more importantly the dire football we produced. It also has to be mentioned that the competitive climate in the league during LvG was much easier than it is today. Jose was not sacked because "he could not take us forward" you know that. If he hadnt had his little lover spat with Ed, he'd still be managing us i believe, but even in his first year when we ended up 6th i cant really remember many calls for his head.

And i dont have any problem with people thinking reaching 3rd is Oles ceiling. I dont necessarily agree, but everyone is entitled to their beliefs. The thing is though, we could have hired any manager in the world instead of Ole and he would not have been able to challenge City and Liverpool last season or this one. Right now they are just too far ahead. As strange as it sounds, winning the league or CL is not our priority right now, its steadying the ship after years of chaos and upheaval. So before we think about taking on City and Liverpool a few things needs to happen

1) We need to move on the remaining deadwood. We have way to many players here who are on big wages and never play simply because they're not the required level.
2) We need a top class first XI and adequate back up players. We have gotten closer under Ole, but is not there quite yet
3) We need(ed) a cultural reboot. Everyone knows there was something rotten in the club. Bad attitudes and what not and every leak and rapport we've seen suggests Ole have tried to clean this up.

I am 100% certain there are other managers out there who are capable of steadying the ship and moving us in the right direction, but any new appointment has a certain risk and the last thing we need right now is another Jose situation where the manager falls out with the board/squad and we have to hit the rest button again.

The most frustrating part though is that when we ideally should have been taking strides towards improvement this window, Ed and our useless board have yet again hampered us with their ineptitude. Its clear that players like Jones, Rojo, Lindgard etc are not part of any future plans, so the club should have done their utmost to find new clubs for them. That has not happened and we are stuck with loads of deadwood on high wages. Regarding incoming transfers lets see what happens with Sancho, but if we do in fact only end up with one player this window it can only be described as a bad joke. Another issue is that if we replace Ole now, Ed and the board have been left of the hook again.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We beat a second-string Brighton side, well done. Nothing to go crazy about. We weren't even that impressive.
So let me get this straight -

Vs Lower opposition:

Play well and Draw/Lose - Ole out as he cant get results
Play badly and win - Ole out as no patterns of play
Play badly and draw/lose- Ole out
A comfortable win - The game means nothing

Vs Equal or better opposition:

Play well and Draw/Lose - Ole out as he cant churn results like Mou
Play badly and win - Ole out because of Individual brilliance
A comfortable win - Ole out as he can't break low blocks

Am I getting this right?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we win our game in hand we go above Spurs and Chelsea and if we win it convincingly we could go above Arsenal n City too.

This thread is embarrassing.

jackal&hyde

Vs Lower opposition:

Am I getting this right?
Very good. I would add that unless we go undefeated for the season, any defeat becomes a "falls down".

TheGame

Vs Lower opposition:

Am I getting this right?
This sums it up.

Flexdegea

Vs Lower opposition:

Am I getting this right?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This make me laugh as it's very accurate.

It's all going a bit ridiculous. So many people are set in their ways they must moaning for sake of it.

Hear a lot about individual brilliance and pattern of plays, cliche I must say

OrcaFat

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This make me laugh as it's very accurate.

It's all going a bit ridiculous. So many people are set in their ways they must moaning for sake of it.

Hear a lot about individual brilliance and pattern of plays, cliche I must say
Yes. This crap about there being “no pattern” is meaningless. These comments are like clips of white noise but they still irritate me a bit, like little harmless flies buzzing around my plate.

Untd55

Vs Lower opposition:

Am I getting this right?
No, just beating a team like this is not mind changing stuff. Look at some of the posts before trying to ridicule people who aren't fans of Solskjaer by using this game. It is a bit stupid.

What is rich is a lot of people who put posts like this were being massively negative when we were winning under Mourinho and Van Gaal. It is hypocrisy.

romufc

Vs Lower opposition:

Am I getting this right?
Yes, that is correct but you also need to add one more.

If we play badly, we lack coaching.

When we score good goals like Mata's goal, "put good players on the pitch and theyll score good goals" nothing to do with coaching.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No, just beating a team like this is not mind changing stuff. Look at some of the posts before trying to ridicule people who aren't fans of Solskjaer by using this game. It is a bit stupid.

What is rich is a lot of people who put posts like this were being massively negative when we were winning under Mourinho and Van Gaal. It is hypocrisy.
The issue with Mou was the defeatist attitude. I literally cannot recall one game vs a top opposition where we played on the front foot except for the Spurs game in his third season.

And while I liked LVG, the issue with him in his second season was that the team wouldn't take any risks. It was safe football, which meant most of our games against lower oppo would be stalemates. And before you say that it's the same with Ole - no , it's not. Even in the 1st half of last season, where we struggled to break low blocks, it wasn't because we weren't trying, it was because we didn't have a player who could consistently do it (except maybe Mata, who needs a few good players around him to be effective).

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I wonder what is his goal for this season. What Ed wants from him? Title challenge of course not. Champions league place is a must for us and Glazers but without signings against Spurs, Chelsea, Leicester and Arsenal it will be close fight.
Is it possible that Ed and Glazers consider this season as build up for next? But next season without CL again slows us down....i don't know what the hell our strategy is right now. Do we even have one?

jackal&hyde

I wonder what is his goal for this season. What Ed wants from him? Title challenge of course not. Champions league place is a must for us and Glazers but without signings against Spurs, Chelsea, Leicester and Arsenal it will be close fight.
Is it possible that Ed and Glazers consider this season as build up for next? But next season without CL again slows us down....i don't know what the hell our strategy is right now. Do we even have one?
Continue the rebuild and next year title challenge is my guess.

Yes, that is correct but you also need to add one more.

If we play badly, we lack coaching.

When we score good goals like Mata's goal, "put good players on the pitch and theyll score good goals" nothing to do with coaching.
It’s a recent Caf trend.

So and so needs coaching. Man Utd don’t coach the team etc etc. It’s become a buzz word, much like ceiling and generational - but on the Caf almost always used as a negative.

slored1

For Ole outers - had we played yesterday in the same way as we played against Sevilla and lost, would you be happy or should he still go? Genuinely dont understand how good do you think this team is? Would Dan James and Ighalo play anywhere else other than here? How is he supposed to win games with dross like this and play wonderful football?

romufc

It’s a recent Caf trend.

So and so needs coaching. Man Utd don’t coach the team etc etc. It’s become a buzz word, much like ceiling and generational - but on the Caf almost always used as a negative.
It all comes down because there is a section of fans who do not like how Ole conducts himself, just because he isn't there on the touchline shouting and screaming, people feel he doesn't know what he is doing.

If his coaching was that bad, we would know. Players like Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Bruno would not be happy and play for a manager who they do not believe in.

We have seen 6 months of Arteta and he is a good coach because he is on the touchline screaming at players. Ole is a different type of manager, he will trust the players to find solutions on the pitch.

Amir

Ole is a different type of manager, he will trust the players to find solutions on the pitch.
I've seen this mentioned a few times... And it is nonsense. It's the sort of thing that was attributed to Phil Jackson when he was coaching. But that can work in basketball - not so much in football, when one moment and one goal can decide a game. If you see your players struggling, or doing something wrong regularly, you should help them find that solution.

It doesn't mean, of course, you have to stand on the touchline for 90 minutes and shout all the time. I'm not a fan of that. But there is a place somewhere in the middle.

romufc

I've seen this mentioned a few times... And it is nonsense. It's the sort of thing that was attributed to Phil Jackson when he was coaching. But that can work in basketball - not so much in football, when one moment and one goal can decide a game. If you see your players struggling, or doing something wrong regularly, you should help them find that solution.

It doesn't mean, of course, you have to stand on the touchline for 90 minutes and shout all the time. I'm not a fan of that. But there is a place somewhere in the middle.
I agree, I am not saying Ole is the best manager or the best coach however; neither is he as inept as people make it out to be. Like you said there has to be a middle ground, if we are getting done on the right side, I want to see Ole come out and tell Greenwood to help out for 10-15 mins defensively, or if he notices something, I want him to communicate with players.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
For Ole outers - had we played yesterday in the same way as we played against Sevilla and lost, would you be happy or should he still go? Genuinely dont understand how good do you think this team is? Would Dan James and Ighalo play anywhere else other than here? How is he supposed to win games with dross like this and play wonderful football?
But he bought those two players. Every player that he bought is bought because he has/had plan how he wants to play.
He likes to play with no10 and he bought excellent no10. He wanted ball playing defender and he bought Maguire. Those two players i give him as success. No matter what i think about Maguire (i would never buy him for that money) he does lot of things what Ole wanted from defender. I still don't know why he decided to go with slow defender but ok..i give him those two players. VDB is all round midfielder so i think he will be good buy because we needed depth there.

But AWB? Why? Why he bought defensive full back while saying that he insists that his full backs go high? Why Dan James while he said that he likes to give freedom to wingers to beat a player? Ighalo? Well, i don't know what happened there. He was good call as short term plan B but something went wrong there.

Last edited:

slored1

But he bought those two players. Every player that he bought is bought because he has/had plan how he wants to play.
He likes to play with no10 and he bought excellent no10. He wanted ball playing defender and he bought Maguire. Those two players i give him as success. No matter what i think as Maguire (i would never buy him for that money) he does lot of things what Ole wanted from defender. I still don't know why he decided to go with slow defender but ok..i give him those two players. VDB is all round midfielder so i think he will be good buy because we needed depth there.

But AWB? Why? Why he bought defensive full back while saying that he insists that his full backs go high? Why Dan James while he said that he likes to give freedom to wingers to beat a player? Ighalo? Well, i don't know what happened there. He was good call as short term plan B but something went wrong there.
Ighalo was a panic buy in the last minute as there was no cash left, James was a bad buy and a punt, but he cant play anyone else at the moment because they gave him no money to upgrade on him. AWB is a good player, he is still improving and just had a bad period, he will come good. But still, we cant offload players that he doesnt like, and we cant buy anyone because of that. Look at City, they have spent gazillion pounds on centre-backs and Ole still cant get a winger in.

Amir

I agree, I am not saying Ole is the best manager or the best coach however; neither is he as inept as people make it out to be. Like you said there has to be a middle ground, if we are getting done on the right side, I want to see Ole come out and tell Greenwood to help out for 10-15 mins defensively, or if he notices something, I want him to communicate with players.
I'm sure he isn't inept, I'm sure he has his ways, I just find the idea that he's sitting there most of the same because he'd like his players to come up with solutions themselves as an excuse that isn't based on fact. Has he or one of his staff said it?

I've never been a fan of managers who stand on the touchline from the start and bark stuff. On the other hand, seeing Solskjaer sitting all the time, regularly looking at a screen, feels a little detached.

romufc

I'm sure he isn't inept, I'm sure he has his ways, I just find the idea that he's sitting there most of the same because he'd like his players to come up with solutions themselves as an excuse that isn't based on fact. Has he or one of his staff said it?

I've never been a fan of managers who stand on the touchline from the start and bark stuff. On the other hand, seeing Solskjaer sitting all the time, regularly looking at a screen, feels a little detached.
I think it was mentioned by Ole somewhere where sometimes he likes players to come up with solutions on the pitch, mainly in the attacking half though.

If you play for Manutd, you do not need to be told what to do for 90 minutes, you have to have responsibility.

We have seen in games V City, Liverpool and those sorts of games, he is on the touch line barking orders, so for me its a case of why doesn't he do it when we do not have control of the game?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ighalo was a panic buy in the last minute as there was no cash left, James was a bad buy and a punt, but he cant play anyone else at the moment because they gave him no money to upgrade on him. AWB is a good player, he is still improving and just had a bad period, he will come good. But still, we cant offload players that he doesnt like, and we cant buy anyone because of that. Look at City, they have spent gazillion pounds on centre-backs and Ole still cant get a winger in.
I am not saying that every player must be success. Of course that transfer market is hit and miss. There is no manager in the world who can have 100% success.
But i am questioning his thinking about AWB and James. If you want that your fb attack then you don't go for AWB.

Status
Not open for further replies.