Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan11

I know it’s the Mirror but I’ll take anything:

It’s not the mirror.

Do people read news they post? They are quoting the daily star. Might as well ask the chumps on reddit.

SER19

It's funny. Smalling, Lukaku, Herrerra, and even Ashley Young are looking good at their respective clubs. How're Ole's signings AWB, Maguire, and Dan James doing?
Right now? Not well. Overall, our defence improved hugely last year and awb and maguire had good seasons. you've left out fernandes. What's your point overall? Mine was that he's done well getting rid of players there was almost unanimous agreement from even the most divided fans that they had overstayed their time here. More so than his predecessors

NJM78

Really not good timing but our club is a shambles. I don’t want Ole and would like Poch but it is a bit harsh. The club will publicly back him tomorrow I bet , but we know this was leaked by Ed.

Canadianred17

Right now? Not well. Overall, our defence improved hugely last year and awb and maguire had good seasons. you've left out fernandes. What's your point overall? Mine was that he's done well getting rid of players there was almost unanimous agreement from even the most divided fans that they had overstayed their time here. More so than his predecessors
Fair point.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
If Ole gets top 4 this season it will be an epic achievement.

None of what is happening now is to do with Ole or the players.

Morale is at an all time low because of the board's failure to deliver on their promises. They made out all along that getting top 4 = Sancho.

No depth in a gruelling schedule. Players are going to have to run themselves into the ground to do it. And for what payoff? Get shafted again like this summer?

I expect he will be the fall guy for the board and get the sack by Christmas after a meltdown season ala Mourinho 15/16 at Chelsea. There's already news today of Poch being sounded out & pressure being put on Ole to perform. I can see it a mile off.
I'll have some of what you're smoking buddy.

bdspeedy

When will someone start a "keep or sack" Woodward poll? I'm curious if there are any fans who believe he's doing a good job of running the team.

Chicharo

When will someone start a "keep or sack" Woodward poll? I'm curious if there are any fans who believe he's doing a good job of running the team.
Word.
Like Gaz Neville said it is a repetitive cycle and both Evra and he agreed that Ole is not guilty of anything. No one could achieve more than he has with the current squad. He needed a backup from the board and didnt get it
We all know what is true wrong with this club.

Greck

As soon as someone works out a feasible way to get him sacked without making fools of ourselves or doing anything that might have the police called. Getting a CEO fired in any company is no easy task

Roboc7

Word.
Like Gaz Neville said it is a repetitive cycle and both Evra and he agreed that Ole is not guilty of anything. No one could achieve more than he has with the current squad. He needed a backup from the board and didnt get it
We all know what is true wrong with this club.
Of course someone could do better, do you seriously believe a better manager with a better coaching team would not make any difference. T

We all know the board aren’t good enough and handicap the manager but we also know our current manager was never qualified to do the job, was sacked by Cardiff and had run out of ideas with Molde (who won the league after he left).

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I agree that Ole is not the main issue and that the structures above him would need to be changed.
As this won’t happen I am afraid the only chance for us to see better football in the short to medium term is getting a manager in who might get a tune out of this ridiculously overpaid and unbalanced squad and who is strong enough to dictate the board what he wants to a bigger extent than Ole does.
I do not see us getting for Poch right now so I would get in touch with Tuchel who according to rumors will not extent his contract next summer. If Ole gives us a positive season I will be surprised and he deserves more time, otherwise next summer a cut needs to be made.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Need some perspective here, there hasn’t been enough done to push on and compete for title but there’s enough here to finish in the top four. Ole isn’t going to be given 200m every season to improve the team, no manager here will so he has to make most of what he has.

Ole is one of highest paid managers in the world, he should be able to motivate, organise and implement coaching and tactics to compete for 4th. If not he shouldn’t be in the job.

We’ve been a total shambles first three games, any football club should start making contingency plans if that doesn’t improve.Fingers crossed it does and Poch won’t be mentioned again.
He did prove that. Last season. And i dont see how his compensation is relevant. Ed is probably one of the best paid club CEO's in the world, does not means he does a good job

And yes, money have been spent, the problem is how its being spent. Also the fact that we finalize four(!) signings on deadline day speaks volumes.

Cavani: We need some bodies up top, but an injury ridden 33 year old is a complete stop gap and it smells like another Falcao situation
Telles: I dont know about this one, but LB is not really the most pressing issue either. We have Shaw and Williams
VdB: Not a bad signing, but again, hardly the most pressing issue in or squad
Pellistri/Traore: I like us signing talented youngsters, but i doubt they will contribute much this season or even the next one.

Its a fecking mess and this whole rebuild project is going to go on forever if Ed and the board keeps shitting the bed every other window. The big question here imo is: Are any of these signings going to improve our top 4 chances, not to mention getting closer to Liverpool/City? No is my answer

Also, Ole is in the precarious situation of doing the whole rebuild AND the pressure of preforming now and getting top 4, with such an incompetent board above him it becomes nearly impossible. Sancho was the perfect player in that regard. Hes still young so hes one for the future, but he would also help our top 4 chances and bring us closer to the top teams. The manager wanted him, he wanted to come, Dortumund was willing to sell. It was the "perfect" transfer and yet we managed to feck it up. And even if we were completely unable to do the asking price, why not look up alternatives like Graelish? Instead we end up with a bunch of last minute panic buys

The most depressing part is that going by this thread, fans are more than happy to throw another manager under the bus and let Ed and his goons get away with it. Again.

tombombadil

The present run of form and results is no doubt worrying.

But I think we shouldn’t get bogged down in micro criticism.

The bottom line is results and standings over the long term (that is over a season and then from one season to the next).

Should Ole have finished higher than 3rd with our squad last season? No.

This season (which has barely started) most of us looked at how our rivals strengthened and said 4th (or even lower) would be par. So unless we are well off the pace for 4th, Ole will not be underperforming.

I can’t explain the crap we’re turning out just now but a couple of better results will see us back in the mix.

I think we should see how these new signings pan out.
I totally agree. As for the current performances, the lack of preseason is haunting us now.

Just hope things get better after the internationals. Ole desperately needs a win to get all the unnecessary albatrosses off his neck.

tombombadil

That Poch story claims they're ready to do it in November if results don't improve by then

All feels so slimy regardless of how one feels about Ole.

I guess we should be used to doing business in a classless manner under current management after the way we handled LVG's exit
Exactly. And how they treated Rio. And Romero. The list goes on.

Greck

He did prove that. Last season. And i dont see how his compensation is relevant. Ed is probably one of the best paid club CEO's in the world, does not means he does a good job

And yes, money have been spent, the problem is how its being spent. Also the fact that we finalize four(!) signings on deadline day speaks volumes.

Cavani: We need some bodies up top, but an injury ridden 33 year old is a complete stop gap and it smells like another Falcao situation
Telles: I dont know about this one, but LB is not really the most pressing issue either. We have Shaw and Williams
Pellistri/Traore: I like us signing talented youngsters, but i doubt they will contribute much this season or even the next one.

Its a fecking mess and this whole rebuild project is going to go on forever if Ed and the board keeps shitting the bed every other window. The big question here imo is: Are any of these signings going to improve our top 4 chances, not to mention getting closer to Liverpool/City? No is my answer

Also, Ole is in the precarious situation of doing the whole rebuild AND the pressure of preforming now and getting top 4, with such an incompetent board above him it becomes nearly impossible. Sancho was the perfect player in that regard. Hes still young so hes one for the future, but he would also help our top 4 chances and bring us closer to the top teams. The manager wanted him, he wanted to come, Dortumund was willing to sell. It was the "perfect" transfer and yet we managed to feck it up. And even if we were completely unable to do the asking price, why not look up alternatives like Graelish? Instead we end up with a bunch of last minute panic buys

The most depressing part is that going by this thread, fans are more than happy to throw another manager under the bus and let Ed and his goons get away with it. Again.
Sancho was perfect but even Madrid don't pay the first thing the selling club asks. Not getting Sancho is the fanbase acting spoilt. Massive sense of entitlement. At 100m any club is perfectly within their rights to say no. Even Pep hasn't bought an attacker for that price. The real crime is not getting any other right winger.

Skåre Willoch

So, now that the window is closed we have the facts on who we brought in, how/when we brought them in, and how much we spent compared to other teams.

Does anybody still think Ole has been backed sufficiently in this window?

Water Melon

How many players have been signed and moved out since Ole has been at the wheel. Surely he will have to prove that he can improve the results with what he has got before any further investment is made. It is all or nothing for Solskjaer from now on.

Bebe

So, now that the window is closed we have the facts on who we brought in, how/when we brought them in, and how much we spent compared to other teams.

Probably not, but even with sufficient backing I highly doubt Ole is a good enough manager to take us where that backing should.

Greck

Backing isn't black or white. He wasn't backed lavishly but he equally wasn't 'not backed'. We addressed the squad depth that needed to be fixed. He'll never be fully backed according to people because of unrealistic expectations. He spent 200m last year and they said that wasn't proper backing. We are still in the pandemic period about to take a revenue hit and these people thought we were going to be business as usual in the market

This was never going to be a galactico window for backing. If we spent all that on Sancho and didn't address the depth guess what people would have said

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The main problems are the owners and management, for years! It was an important transfer window and they messed it up again.

Ole as a manager is still not good enough though, you can see it in our play. We had a good restart last season, but now we are back to shit. Coupled with that window, he wont survive the season most likely

OrcaFat

I don't know. I do not think Poch is the answer to our on field problems.
Neither do I. At all. But if things don’t improve soon, the board will probably have to do something (even though this shambles is mainly their fault). BBC say we had a poor window but at least we got a few in and I will be gutted if Ole doesn’t get a bit of time to bed them in.

Eleven-Eighteen

Ole does not need to go anywhere. The feckin Glazers and their possey of Woodward and Judge need to be replaced

Skåre Willoch

Backing isn't black or white. He wasn't backed lavishly but he equally wasn't 'not backed'. We addressed the squad depth that needed to be fixed. He'll never be fully backed according to people because of unrealistic expectations. He spent 200m last year and they said that wasn't proper backing. We are still in the pandemic period about to take a revenue hit and these people thought we were going to be business as usual in the market

This was never going to be a galactico window for backing. If we spent all that on Sancho and didn't address the depth guess what people would have said
the way those transfers happened showed that the board really wasn’t ready to back him properly, and/or are very bad at their jobs.

We seemingly “saved” Cavani to yesterday so that we could unveil a big name on deadline day, even though he’s been available “for free” for months. We didn’t get a RW ready to play this season. Both Diallo and that lad from Uruguay might turn out to be world beaters in the future, but that’s hardly backing Ole at all. that’s backing the next manager.

So sure, fine, we got squad depth. Great. But we didn’t fix the one area everyone and anyone knows we should improve. And should’ve improved for the past decade. Nevermind Sancho, I understand spending €120m on one player is hard to do in this climate. But we didn’t get a RW for this season at all. Which means not only throwing Ole under the bus, it effectively throws Wan Bissaka under the bus as well, because when Greenwood needs a rest his offensive contributions, or lack of, is highlighted even more. They’ve both been set up for failure.

Also, even though we’re on a tighter budget due to the pandemic, I don’t understand why we are as tight as we are. The narrative has been that we’re more robust than most due to the financial savvyness of Ed & co, with sponsors for just about anything you can put a red devil on. Biggest club in the world and all. What happened to that? Didn’t Ole even say that we’re better off financially than most, and should be able to get a few savvy deals going in this window?

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again. Now it’s to late to fire Ole for another couple of months. If he indeed should’ve been fired, it should’ve happened after last season, before this season started. The way we’re conducting our business right now we’re setting him up for failure, and that’s just sad. And a weird way to run a football club.

Roboc7

Ole is involved in how that money is spent though, when people like a player being sold or bought it’s a pat on the back for Ole when they don’t like a transfer it’s Woodward’s fault. I bet all of a sudden Maguire will be a Woodward signing now, nothing to do with Ole until he starts playing well.

Ole’s salary is relevant because if your paid to be an elite manger then you should perform like one, that’s the whole point. Could we find a much better manger and pay them the same or even less, without a shadow of a doubt.

Management isn’t just about transfers and this ridiculous idea that Ole is the best and only man for the job and him or no one else can do better is just laughable. Ole needs to perform or he gets sacked same as every manager. It’d be great if that applies to Woodward too but for whatever reason he is immune.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think the fault is somehow in the middle

Yes the board is incompetent, signings should be made earlier, Cavani shouldn't be anywhere near at the club and we should have added at least a top CB. However Ole was the one who gave the thumbs up to two 130m rated middle EPL table defenders, he had enough talent in his team not to be humiliated by Spurs and Palace and of course he can't expect the club to constantly sort his problems with 80m-100m signing a pop. He's there to manage so he has to manage.

BR7

Of course someone could do better, do you seriously believe a better manager with a better coaching team would not make any difference. T

We all know the board aren’t good enough and handicap the manager but we also know our current manager was never qualified to do the job, was sacked by Cardiff and had run out of ideas with Molde (who won the league after he left).
Nicely put and very very true

Greck

the way those transfers happened showed that the board really wasn’t ready to back him properly, and/or are very bad at their jobs.

We seemingly “saved” Cavani to yesterday so that we could unveil a big name on deadline day, even though he’s been available “for free” for months. We didn’t get a RW ready to play this season. Both Diallo and that lad from Uruguay might turn out to be world beaters in the future, but that’s hardly backing Ole at all. that’s backing the next manager.

So sure, fine, we got squad depth. Great. But we didn’t fix the one area everyone and anyone knows we should improve. And should’ve improved for the past decade. Nevermind Sancho, I understand spending €120m on one player is hard to do in this climate. But we didn’t get a RW for this season at all. Which means not only throwing Ole under the bus, it effectively throws Wan Bissaka under the bus as well, because when Greenwood needs a rest his offensive contributions, or lack of, is highlighted even more. They’ve both been set up for failure.

Also, even though we’re on a tighter budget due to the pandemic, I don’t understand why we are as tight as we are. The narrative has been that we’re more robust than most due to the financial savvyness of Ed & co, with sponsors for just about anything you can put a red devil on. Biggest club in the world and all. What happened to that? Didn’t Ole even say that we’re better off financially than most, and should be able to get a few savvy deals going in this window?

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again. Now it’s to late to fire Ole for another couple of months. If he indeed should’ve been fired, it should’ve happened after last season, before this season started. The way we’re conducting our business right now we’re setting him up for failure, and that’s just sad. And a weird way to run a football club.
We've always been building the future and a long term plan. If Ole is going to struggle to keep the team afloat every year he doesn't spend 150m then he just isn't a good manager. At the end of last season the narrative was the First XI was great and just needed depth reinforcement. We got depth but now that Ole is back to struggling people are talking about 5 new first teamers. We should have done better than Cavani but that's as far as I agree with this summer's criticism. We needed depth, we got depth

Skills

Snitch
I think the fault is somehow in the middle

Yes the board is incompetent, signings should be made earlier, Cavani shouldn't be anywhere near at the club and we should have added at least a top CB. However Ole was the one who gave the thumbs up to two 130m rated middle EPL table defenders, he had enough talent in his team not to be humiliated by Spurs and Palace and of course he can't expect the club to constantly sort his problems with 80m-100m signing a pop. He's there to manage so he has to manage.
Ultimately, thats the heart of the problem.

We only need a new CB because the one he signed for £80m isn't good enough and now we need someone to hide his deficiencies. If we'd spent half of that on a player of his calibre, we would've had the budget this summer to get another CB.

We need a RW mostly because AWB is not good enough on the ball for a modern football. The problem on the right side of our pitch isn't the guy who scored 17 goals from there last season, but the full back behind him who offers almost nothing.

The Jan 2019 might just be worst transfer window we've ever had, because its hampered us for a long, long time going forward.

Langers7274

Let's be honest, most if not all did not expect Ole to get the job full-time. Is he the man to bring back PL and CL titles? No! It's quite clear that he will not take this club to where it needs to be, however, I would add that he has done a remarkable job last season steering us to 3rd. The main problem is, if we sack him, no doubt Poch would come in. However, until we get a DoF in, it doesn't matter who comes in, this club is going nowhere!!

Reactions: Sultan

BR7

Well Ed and his goons as you so aptly put it are not liked by many here but ole has proven he’s their mouthpiece so get rid of all of them together. I’ve been reading a lot of nonsensical posts from the inners recently believing ole loves the club that’s why he won’t leave. Sure.... he’s doing it for free and once he’s got the boot and deservedly so, he’ll say no no, no compensation please, United are in debt and I love this club and as I’ve been really poor I won’t take the compensation package? Are you lot for reals?

Skåre Willoch

Well Ed and his goons as you so aptly put it are not liked by many here but ole has proven he’s their mouthpiece so get rid of all of them together. I’ve been reading a lot of nonsensical posts from the inners recently believing ole loves the club that’s why he won’t leave. Sure.... he’s doing it for free and once he’s got the boot and deservedly so, he’ll say no no, no compensation please, United are in debt and I love this club and as I’ve been really poor I won’t take the compensation package? Are you lot for reals?
I might be wrong, but I don’t think anyone has ever said this. Are you for reals?

BR7

I might be wrong, but I don’t think anyone has ever said this. Are you for reals?
Take a break inner it’s out time for now. Go read the posts in every ole thread in the last 2 weeks it’s been said plenty.

The inners are running out of excuses and support. Ole is finished

Skåre Willoch

We've always been building the future and a long term plan. If Ole is going to struggle to keep the team afloat every year he doesn't spend 150m then he just isn't a good manager. At the end of last season the narrative was the First XI was great and just needed depth reinforcement. We got depth but now that Ole is back to struggling people are talking about 5 new first teamers. We should have done better than Cavani but that's as far as I agree with this summer's criticism. We needed depth, we got depth
I’m not talking about 5 first teamers. I’m talking about 1. We’ve signed 3 depth players and 2 youngsters. Which is fine and a good thing. We needed depth. But it would be infinitely better if it comes with a first teamer to fix the most immediate issue(s) as well.

Skåre Willoch

Take a break inner it’s out time for now. Go read the posts in every ole thread in the last 2 weeks it’s been said plenty.

I’ve said it time and time again that firing him might have been the right decision, but that it should’ve been done weeks ago. Take a break, outer.

And please provide a quote or point me in the direction of anyone who’s said the part I highlighted in your post. If you didn’t make it up to create a false narrative, that is?

Matriac

No, the "inners" are just getting tired of all the bile spewed by "outers" lately, and also wondered where most of y'all were in the final half of last season.

Results are not good right now, but changing managers right now is a knee-jerk reaction. With Ole's results so far I believe he deserves more time. But I'm not gonna spend my time in this thread arguing with those who can't be convinced.

Greck

I’m not talking about 5 first teamers. I’m talking about 1. We’ve signed 3 depth players and 2 youngsters. Which is fine and a good thing. We needed depth. But it would be infinitely better if it comes with a first teamer to fix the most immediate issue(s) as well.
one first teamer at the cost of 3 depth players and 2 youngsters? That's an easy choice considering which one was our biggest need at the end of last season, especially factoring in that we can still get Sancho in a future window. We don't have to mortgage our future budget like we did last summer. Stay the course and don't lose the plot just to save the prospects of underperforming managers. That's the approach we've been asking a Dof for. If we did this earlier we may even have had the funds to get Sancho and a new CB if we were more reserved with that 130m that went on AWB and Maguire

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ever since we sack Moyes (which was poor choice from Sir Alex and biggest mistake he ever done), we hired three different managers with different philosophy & style. From Sir Alex players to Tiki taka and total possession football to defensive football and now going to quick direct & counter attack football. Three different philosophy and style means require different players. The scouts also need to adapt with the manager's new or different philosophy.

RB Leipzig is a good example how they managed to keep doing good with three different managers because the three of them have same philosophy & style means whoever they signed before suit the manager's philosophy. How did Conte won the league in his first season after Mourinho was sacked? Because both managers are playing defensive football that require similar players, Mourinho built a winning team that won the league and Conte just inherited it.

End of the day, those years works we done was waste of money & time because we don't have structure, philosophy of the style and we just hired random names whoever available. Pointless to sack Ole now. The real issue is above him not Ole. You can sack him now and replace him with Pep, we will back to square one and takes years again.

Status
Not open for further replies.