g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Bottom line is Ole took us to a third-place finish last season, so he absolutely deserves to stay on.

Yes it was only on 66 points, but anyone who claims it wouldn’t have been at least 75 points if Fernandes and Ighalo had come in during the summer is flat out being dishonest.

The reasons for our poor start this season are blatantly obvious.

Liverpool have conceded 7 goals in a game, City 5 and even Chelsea for all their spending have dropped points during the start of the season, yet all we hear is this constant Ole out agenda.

Instead the focus right now should be on scouting a fast CB and a dominant CDM/DLP. That would take the team to the next level and put us in a position of then doing the finishing touches of the rebuild.

I've been Ole In consistently since the start and I'm not about to change my mind just because we've predictably lost a few games after having had next to no preseason (even though I did call on him to throw the EL straight after securing CL against Leicester in the last game of last season and just play the second choice eleven in order to get a longer preseason).
Since when even 75 points is now considered good enough for United anyway ?

Robbie Boy

That quote is damning. From a very reliable journalist too. Annoyingly I think Ed will be extra patient with Ole. He won't sack him until top 4 is well and truly gone I fear.
It is a very damning quote so early in the season, but lets be honest, it's what the overwhelming majority of fans have been saying for a long time.

The fans on here who certain 'Ole in' posters ridicule have been saying the same as the players, i.e. he's just plainly not a good enough coach and we rely on individual moments rather than playing as a well drilled team. Funny that a certain few posters on here have ridiculed these fans and labelled them clueless, accuse them of hating Ole etc, when it appears the players also feel this way.

Seems the posters that made such observations about his obvious shortcomings as a manager aren't some hate filled villians or clueless.

Mainoldo

He's a guy who chanced his way - via the shambolic running of Utd - into a position he should never have been considered for...

What did anyone think was gonna happen?

It's gone better than I would've expected but OGS is obviously nowhere near the caliber of coach that should be anywhere near a club of Utd's size and wealth.

Only under such incompetent leadership like the Glazers / Woodward could such an appointment even consider being made.

Of course the dippy, overly sentimental fans didn't help the cause, but the leadership of the club must take responsibility.

A club of Utd's stature needs at least competent leadership in footballing matters, until that happens, expect more of the same. It's that simple.
Agreed. Hopefully we can by chance appoint the corrrect manager. But he’ll probably say something outlandish like he needs a new fitness department and they’ll tell him it’s going to cost to much.

CR1

Since when even 75 points is now considered good enough for United anyway ?
Since we stopped being a club that wins the league more or less every season and began being a club that strives for top four (ie when SAF retired).

But sure, of course 75 shouldn't be good enough, but it would still represent an improvement.

Hughie77

Ok this what's going to happen. Woodward doesn't back manager Utd finish out of CL spot, sack manager because it's in there contact to get in there if not , sack is cheaper. Get new manager in back him till he gets CL spot, great clubs got there money sponsors etc etc, that manger needs to build doesn't get backed finishes out of CL spot , he gets sack, new manager comes in , and so on and so on repeat repeat.
Except this is how the clubs being run, it's not football it's all about the money, Utds owners wouldn't give a toss if they won feck all, as long as it's CL !! Until the club has different owners with different ideas on what's the priority . It's going to be maybe or not good enough. . Sorry but oles days are numbered and he knows it the players do as well.

el3mel

Since we stopped being a club that wins the league more or less every season and began being a club that strives for top four (ie when SAF retired).

But sure, of course 75 shouldn't be good enough, but it would still represent an improvement.
The aim is to get our expectations higher and start getting top results, not to have a manager who will manage the expectations of the fans to agree to our mediocre level and consider it "improvement".

Mick1

So let me get this straight -

Vs Lower opposition:

Play well and Draw/Lose - Ole out as he cant get results
Play badly and win - Ole out as no patterns of play
Play badly and draw/lose- Ole out
A comfortable win - The game means nothing

Vs Equal or better opposition:

Play well and Draw/Lose - Ole out as he cant churn results like Mou
Play badly and win - Ole out because of Individual brilliance
Play badly and draw/lose- Ole out
A comfortable win - Ole out as he can't break low blocks

Am I getting this right?
This rinds me of the leave britney alone chick

MrSingh2002

The propaganda switch has been hilariously predictable from Woodward this week.

Most fans know Woodward and the Glazers we're the reason for our average window that could and should've been spectacular.
Now Eds out here briefing for the past 3 days via every media outlet that will listen that Oles not good enough and the board and the players are questioning him.

If we hadn't seen this 3 times before we might be thick enough to believe it. I'm not someone who thinks Ole is the right man for tactics or coaching but he has an eye for a player and overall has done ok with overhauling the squad. Its much better than it was 18 months ago.

If they'd have backed him with Sancho and a centre back it would have been overhaul complete. feck Woodward and his spin tactics trying to heap pressure on Ole. Hopefully the fans don't turn on Ole before Woodward.

Ole>Glazers>Woodward

LuckyScout78

If he keep using Pogba and Matic regular as United 2 cm partnership, then i think he will be closer to the exit door out of Old Trafford. Contra staying here on for years. With this decision. Regular towards New Year. I think he will create a path that will lead him out of Old Trafford. Then Ole can blame himself. Why?
Pogba is not fit and out of form. Matic doesnt has the legs anymore. So with Pogba and Matic = you are asking for trouble. Both of them don’t have legs and get overrun game after game.

So i hope for a change:

DVB/McTom - Matic/Fred - Bruno/Pogba

This will keep Ole a bit longer. 433 or 4312 suit United squad best.

So again. Pogba + Matic regular first half season = far from top 4. Simple as that. Then he is creating his own path...out of Old Trafford

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Honestly people are overrating this 3rd too much. We had a great end to last season, true, it was positive and a thing to get optimistic about, but we got 3rd with 66 points, 66 goals scored and 18 wins. Exactly similar numbers to what we got when we finished 6th the season before it, also 66 points, 65 goals scored and 19 wins.

But people just don't want to listen. "points doesn't matter". "Each season is different"..etc, etc. It's like it's hard to remove red tinted glasses some times to analyze the situation better.

The only positive thing from last season was the run after the restart when we looked impressive. Otherwise, most of the season was crap. We actually started to go down in terms of performance during the 0-3 win against Villa in which a dodgy pen made the breakthrough for us. After that it was mostly a slog, and we're carrying the same form into current season.

During LVG and Mourinho era the expectations from the fan base was much higher. Now it's good enough for Manchester United to get top 4 with 66 points and have a trophyless season.

People need to review themselves and how their expectations went downhill under Ole before they manage to regain it to the high standards we were used to again.
Wenger got 2nd with Arsenal in 2015/16, but they never kicked on afterwards. If I recall correctly they even dropped out of top 4 the very next season.

In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't mean much. It was a trophyless season.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
The propaganda switch has been hilariously predictable from Woodward this week.

Most fans know Woodward and the Glazers we're the reason for our average window that could and should've been spectacular.
Now Eds out here briefing for the past 3 days via every media outlet that will listen that Oles not good enough and the board and the players are questioning him.

If we hadn't seen this 3 times before we might be thick enough to believe it. I'm not someone who thinks Ole is the right man for tactics or coaching but he has an eye for a player and overall has done ok with overhauling the squad. Its much better than it was 18 months ago.

If they'd have backed him with Sancho and a centre back it would have been overhaul complete. feck Woodward and his spin tactics trying to heap pressure on Ole. Hopefully the fans don't turn on Ole before Woodward.

Ole>Glazers>Woodward
Agree. Our overall net spend was pathetic and Woodward can package that particular turd however he wants. It's still a turd. Outspent by a lot of clubs, and by clubs who were better than or as good as us last year. Logic would tell you that won't end well for us. There's no way Ole should face the sack already, given how unsupported he has been by the board.

CR1

The aim is to get our expectations higher and start getting top results, not to have a manager who will manage the expectations of the fans to agree to our mediocre level and consider it "improvement".
Yes, but last season was Ole's first full season in charge. I don't think it's possible to go from 66 points to whatever tally it takes to win the title in just one season.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
He can't string 3 words together. He stutters, hesitates and nervously smiles through every interview. He doesn't have the swagger to deal with spoiled rich boys. He simply is not interesting enough. He never changes his starting 11/formation. His coaching staff are boring. We need an injection of FUN.

Foxbatt

Yes, but last season was Ole's first full season in charge. I don't think it's possible to go from 66 points to whatever tally it takes to win the title in just one season.
No he is not going to win the PL or the CL and no one is expecting him to win it but all expect us to beat Palace at home and not to get outplayed by Brighton and not get thrashed at home by Jose all under three matches.

NJM78

I said he'll be gone in November, he'll be gone in November...

Seriously though I do think he will lose his job in November.

Foxbatt

I do not think so unless we get beaten by Newcastle. Then the shit will hit the fan for sure.

NJM78

I do not think so unless we get beaten by Newcastle. Then the shit will hit the fan for sure.
I can't see us winning any of our next seven games, with a few losses to boot.

I'm predicting a November 5th sacking.

Wilt

Providing he survives Newcastle, another miracle v PSG should give Ole some breathing space

Foxbatt

Providing he’s still in charge, another miracle v PSG would give Ole some breathing space
Yes in hindsight in would have been better if we did not win that match. We would most probably would have a better manager at United. But knowing Woody he may have given it to Gary Neville for all I know.

Mainoldo

Everytime I make a run girl you turn around and cryyyyy. I ask myself why ohh why!

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
When the leaks start up like this, you know he’s a dead man walking.

Foxbatt

I can't see us winning any of our next seven games, with a few losses to boot.

I'm predicting a November 5th sacking.
Since it is showing your location as Cardiff, how was he tactically when he was there? Even a decent manager could have been relegated if the players are simply outclassed by everyone but did he show any tactical or coaching nuance?

Robbie Boy

I think there's something in the Poch leaks emerging again and possibly someone on Poch's end giving briefings.

Then when stories start emerging that the Board are 'still backing' Ole, it kind of consolidates that there is movement of some sort behind the scenes. All my opinion of course.

But I would be surprised if Ole lasts until Christmas and be stunned if he sees out the season. He's lasted longer than I expected but I just feel with the games coming up, the shit is really going to hit the fan.

Wilt

Yes in hindsight in would have been better if we did not win that match. We would most probably would have a better manager at United. But knowing Woody he may have given it to Gary Neville for all I know.
Please, no

Skills

Snitch
I think there's something in the Poch leaks emerging again and possibly someone on Poch's end giving briefings.

Then when stories start emerging that the Board are 'still backing' Ole, it kind of consolidates that there is movement of some sort behind the scenes. All my opinion of course.

But I would be surprised if Ole lasts until Christmas and be stunned if he sees out the season. He's lasted longer than I expected but I just feel with the games coming up, the shit is really going to hit the fan.
I genuinely can't see them sacking him midseason even if we're hovering in the bottom half of the table. His stature as a legendary player will buy him the entire season because they'll be too scared of the media and fan backlash.

NJM78

Since it is showing your location as Cardiff, how was he tactically when he was there? Even a decent manager could have been relegated if the players are simply outclassed by everyone but did he show any tactical or coaching nuance?
To be honest I don't know. I'm Cardiff born and bred but supported United since I was 7 and I'm now 42.

Few friends here go to watch Cardiff year in year out, all they say is, he was pretty shit. Hardly complex criticism but straight to the point I guess!

Foxbatt

I genuinely can't see them sacking him midseason even if we're hovering in the bottom half of the table. His stature as a legendary player will buy him the entire season because they'll be too scared of the media and fan backlash.
The media are already calling for his head. The fans won't say much if we are in free fall. It depends on our next game. If we lose to Newcastle then he is gone. United needs to get the transfers done and done early and the new manager if he comes in the summer may not want the players Ole wanted.

Robbie Boy

I'm not so sure to be honest. There's been a-few leaks recently re: Poch, players doubting his coaching credentials and the dreaded 'vote of confidence' from the Board. I don't think the Board will really care about nostalgia.

I'm also not sure of a fan backlash. From people I know and what I read; most seem to think he's done a good firefighting job and will leave a good squad but ultimately he's nowhere near good enough. The Board also have the luxury of no fans at games to revolt against them. I imagine if fans were at OT now, they would be quite vocal against Woodward/the Glazers.

I'm separating the two entities here though: Clearly we have huge systematic failures throughout the club but conversely Ole isn't a good enough manager to have us challenging again. I think Ole will meet the same fate as all before him if we don't seriously improve.

Foxbatt

To be honest I don't know. I'm Cardiff born and bred but supported United since I was 7 and I'm now 42.

Few friends here go to watch Cardiff year in year out, all they say is, he was pretty shit. Hardly complex criticism but straight to the point I guess!
It is a bit like the Alan Shearer at Newcastle issue I guess. Not all good players make good managers.

rotherham_red

The biggest problem I have with Ole is it feels he is a barely scrapping top 4 manager at best.
He has not built us for a title push nor has he coached us for it well enough.
I think his staff let him down too, but he need to replace them then just as he needs to drop players if they are not performing.

Our squad under a top manager could still reach far. Since we do have talent in our squad still. The likes of Pogba, Rashford, Martial and Bruno can perform at top level in attack.
Greenwood maybe too. Cavani if fit could be a good option too and DVB got potential. The defense needs coaching and it could work much better. Our keepers are very good as well.
He's had one full season...

Robbie Boy

He's had one full season...
8 more games and he'll have managed more games for us than LvG. He's also here two full years in December. LvG had less than 2 years and Jose had two and a half. Both were more successful and both ultimately weren't good enough, just as it's fairly obvious Ole isn't.

wolvored

Hes had 1 1/2 seasons and hes still having streaky runs either good or shit. This wins you nothing. Unless we start on a winning run next game then we could be too far back to make top 4 before we reach xmas. I dont think we will be as fortunate as having all the other teams around 3/4 last season being so bad. I got a feeling Everton may get one of the European slots as well which means we are competing with Arsenal Chelsea Everton Leicester Spurs and Wanderers to even make Europa never mind top 4.

wolvored

The best thing the club could do right now is back the Manager 100%, say his position is safe even if we miss out on T4 this season(we won't) and give him the security of a new three/four year contract.
This is the last thing the club should do. He should only get a new contract on merit. If he does make top 4 again then they can offer him a new contract as he would have done what no manager has done since Fergie.

Robbie Boy

This is the last thing the club should do. He should only get a new contract on merit. If he does make top 4 again then they can offer him a new contract as he would have done what no manager has done since Fergie.
Don't get sucked in by wums.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
It's tough enough to play for United at the best of times, and the last thing the players need is more uncertainty. If at the end of the season we've missed out on T4 the club can always say after much discussion we've decided to make a change, as long as Ole was aware that would happen, as i'm sure he would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.