Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's not a problem. Its a strategy. A pretty good one in my view, unless you believe we're good enough to blow this league apart and win it by 10 points.
I'm not entirely sure you can call a bad start to the season and subsequently playing catchup for the remainder of it a strategy. Not a legitimate one anyway.

I don't know about winning the league with this squad but it's certainly better than the 9th place position we currently find ourselves in (last season is evidence of that) and I've seen nothing from our play so far that indicates an improvement on that position.

Beyond blind faith, neither have you. Or have you?

Greck

Typical inflammatory, idiotic comment.
Need to clean the thread but there's a particular abusive full time member who gets away with posts like that on every page. Of course newer members are going to read it and think that's what the place is about

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Rashford and Martial are “kick and rush footballers” now is the latest argument to somehow defend Ole.

I mean Jesus fecking christ.
Then when they start knocking in goals regularly again the same people will spout the same shite about how he improved them as players conveniently forgetting that goal scorers need confidence which is hard to get when we're coached as an underdog team.

Jeffthered

Do you know the frustrating thing? This is the weakest (in terms of quality..) Premiership that I can remember... None of the big clubs have improved, and the chasing pack are a mish-mash of inconsistency. My point is, now is a great time to be a Man Utd manager... there are very few outstanding teams out there.

We look absolutely average in an average league. Look who are top ffs.

Greck

Do you know the frustrating thing? This is the weakest (in terms of quality..) Premiership that I can remember... None of the big clubs have improved, and the chasing pack are a mish-mash of inconsistency. My point is, now is a great time to be a Man Utd manager... there are very few outstanding teams out there.

We look absolutely average in an average league. Look who are top ffs.
It's not helped by our former manager being near the top of the table. Real slap in the face if Jose leapfrogs us in 6 months while we tell ourselves we can't expect a title push till Greenwood is in his prime or whatever future metric comes to pass. That's if there's even any at all. There seems to be no concrete timeline. Fletcher once suggested we should wait for Klopp to leave England which is bonkers

I hope Spurs collapse in the 2nd half to spare us blushes but there's no denying Jose always aims to give title contenders a run for their money. Succeed or fail the expectations are always high.

Last edited:

hobbers

We couldn't lay a glove on this Arsenal in 90 minutes. Bielsaball is tearing them apart.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
A lot of heated debate and back and forth on a hot button issue.

I just can’t get my head round anyone watching yesterday (or against Palace, Spurs, Brighton, Arsenal, Istanbul etc..) and think “yep, this club is really going places” or “I don’t think anyone could be doing better right now”

Pochettino isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, and that is alright, but to say that he wouldn’t be coaching these players far better than this is a massive disservice to his work as a coach so far.

We would look better, we would be playing better football, individuals would have more of an idea of what was being expected from them, and we would actually have an identity and style of play.

To say anything else goes against everything we have seen from him so far, and everything we are watching week in and week out.

It’s just a fallacy to suggest otherwise.

LJJT

I mean 3 points is 3 points for sure but we actually made it harder for ourselves by playing Matic and Fred in midfield. It played into WBA's hands having such a slow static midfield.

Its not about form or fans being blind to the impact COVID is having on other teams, its that Ole just doesn't seem to have the tactical nous for united to be a dominant force. We got extremely lucky in how those penalty decisions went and I'm not sure how we would have coped having to chase the game at 1-0 but with Johnstone in top form and our attacking line devoid of ideas I wouldn't have banked on it.
I don’t think we were devoid of ideas it was more a case of being devoid of strikers who can’t finish chances they should eat for breakfast. We won the game. His tactical nous has been more than good enough to beat a lot of the top managers and teams in the prem and Europe

Eriku

We couldn't lay a glove on this Arsenal in 90 minutes. Bielsaball is tearing them apart.
Are these the two teams that are currently below us having played one match more than us?

I would also like to remind some people that Klopp celebrated a DRAW against West Brom not that long ago. He was ridiculed for that as well.

And for people saying the league is so weak that any decent manager would have us up top, Guardiola and his blank checkbook are a point below us as well. Is he a wank coach? Is is his squad shite?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Pochettino isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, and that is alright, but to say that he wouldn’t be coaching these players far better than this is a massive disservice to his work as a coach so far.

We would look better, we would be playing better football, individuals would have more of an idea of what was being expected from them, and we would actually have an identity and style of play.
Absolutely. And he’s available. I’ve now switched to fully Ole out. I like what he’s done in terms of squad composition but Poch would be an immediate upgrade. Oles had enough time now, regardless of league position, it’s the complete stagnation of progress. Same problems and no obvious solving of them.

Flexdegea

How is a lucky 1-0 via a twice taken pen and the other side being denied a clear cut pen a well won game? They could have had a foul just prior to our pen and they also hit the bar.

We should have had one ourselves, had 2 absolute sitters in the box their keeper did brilliant to save them. Rashford one should have been a goal.

It was really one of them games in my eyes.

Wasnt great performance by any stretch.

Kajus

Are these the two teams that are currently below us having played one match more than us?

I would also like to remind some people that Klopp celebrated a DRAW against West Brom not that long ago. He was ridiculed for that as well.

And for people saying the league is so weak that any decent manager would have us up top, Guardiola and his blank checkbook are a point below us as well. Is he a wank coach? Is is his squad shite?
Arsenal, Leeds and City aren't managed by Ole so it's not currently in fashion to be criticising them while drowning in one's own tears.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He is learning the job as he goes. Mike Phelan is his mentor. Does not matter how bad the team performs I trully cannot hate him. He was appointed as a caretaker manager and even at that point we knew what we were getting.
Nobody hates Ole. That is exactly why the Glazers put him in despite his obvious lack of qualifications. And why they keep him.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'm not entirely sure you can call a bad start to the season and subsequently playing catchup for the remainder of it a strategy. Not a legitimate one anyway.

I don't know about winning the league with this squad but it's certainly better than the 9th place position we currently find ourselves in (last season is evidence of that) and I've seen nothing from our play so far that indicates an improvement on that position.

Beyond blind faith, neither have you. Or have you?
Do I think we will finsh better than 9th? Yes, of course I do. I think panicking after 8 games of a season is something we should all be big enough and ugly enough to know better than by now.

This is a difficult league. Clubs are going to drop points all the time. It still looks likely to me that Liverpool will win it, but for me every other position is up for grabs at the moment.

If come new years day we are in the knockout stages of the CL and within half a dozen points of top spot then Id be perfectly happy with that

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Nobody hates Ole. That is exactly why the Glazers put him in despite his obvious lack of qualifications. And why they keep him.
Without doubt. Word on the street is that we're looking closely at Ant and Dec to replace him at some point. Everyone loves them. A fantastic PR move from the club

el3mel

City fans have been slaughtering Pep regularly on their forum this season.

Eriku

City fans have been slaughtering Pep regularly on their forum this season.
That’s as may be, but a ton of people bemoaning the start to our season would be happy too see Pep take over for Ole. City fans making sense is in no way a part of my argument.

Volumiza

Do I think we will finsh better than 9th? Yes, of course I do. I think panicking after 8 games of a season is something we should all be big enough and ugly enough to know better than by now.

This is a difficult league. Clubs are going to drop points all the time. It still looks likely to me that Liverpool will win it, but for me every other position is up for grabs at the moment.

If come new years day we are in the knockout stages of the CL and within half a dozen points of top spot then Id be perfectly happy with that
I can’t disagree with any of your post but our football is just appalling and shows barely any sign of improvement. So what? We just keep scraping through into the CL spots? Semis in the cups? All the while playing stodgy and uninspiring football?

I’d rather finish 5th and end up in the EL having developed a good playing identity to build on. Our games are literally putting me off football.

Last edited:

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Did anyone actually enjoy the match yesterday? I didn't. So far this season, the two full enjoyable matches were PSG and Everton. Newcastle and the RB Leipzig were fun for parts. The others we've played were reminiscent of the LvG era.

el3mel

That’s as may be, but a ton of people bemoaning the start to our season would be happy too see Pep take over for Ole. City fans making sense is in no way a part of my argument.
Because Pep is a better manager than Ole in general ? His cycle with City just seems to be reaching its end like Poch with Spurs. Both are better managers than Ole regardless, and will have higher chance of success in their first 2-3 seasons than Ole. I won't say this is confirmed but they have higher chance of that because they're simply better managers.

And anyway, the point is yes other fans criticize their manager a lot and even want them to leave when things aren't going well even if he has initial success with the club, while here we make a big deal out of it, criticizing managers or wanting them leave is always "entitled and spoiled mentality", and "we should always stick with the managers".

Usually managers at other big clubs are treated like servants for the club hired to do a job and that's it but in United we seem to have the opposite way around.

Volumiza

Did anyone actually enjoy the match yesterday? I didn't. So far this season, the two full enjoyable matches were PSG and Everton. Newcastle and the RB Leipzig were fun for parts. The others we've played were reminiscent of the LvG era.
Nobody could have enjoyed that. Awful. Boring. Uninspiring.

He'sRaldo

Then when they start knocking in goals regularly again the same people will spout the same shite about how he improved them as players conveniently forgetting that goal scorers need confidence which is hard to get when we're coached as an underdog team.
This is what exasperates me most about the staunch Ole defenders.

Go into any other player thread and it's fair game for them, they can slaughter who they want, no mincing of words. But come time to criticize Ole and it's excuse after excuse, and then moaning about "toxicity". It's clear there's no objectivity and it just comes across as trying to defend the manager at all costs.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Confused, are you calling my post wank, or are you calling me a wanker, in either case, the ER is misplaced. I guess literacy levels are also similar as with Trump supporters.
Your intelligence is on Trump levels if you didn't get what the poster insinuated.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I can’t disagree with any of your post but our football is just appalling and shows barely any sign of improvement. So what? We just keep scraping through into the CL spots? Semis in the cups? All the while playing stodgy and uninspiring football?

I’d rather finish 5th and end up in the EL having developed a good playing identity to build on. Our games are literally putting me off football.
I just can't agree that things are that bad. In the last half dozen or so games we've played very well to beat Everton, Newcastle, PSG and RBL.

Some of our games have been fairly dull yes, and as a neutral watching those I'd be disinterested but as a United fan I cant be bored right now. I was many times under Jose and LVG, because I felt while watching those games that this is how our manager wanted us to play. I dont feel that way under Ole

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

I'm unconvinced our fortunes will have changed enough to see us amongst the CL places by the turn of the year. The players look uninspired and lacking energy and enthusiasm. Reminds me of Jose's last season in charge and we all know how that turned out.

I'm not panicking mate, just frustrated at the strong possibility of a 4th successive managerial failure post-SAF, while Dithering Ed sits atop his ivory tower free of any repercussions and safe in his job, despite overseeing all of those failures.

Round and round we go.

Volumiza

I just can't agree that things are that bad. In the last half dozen or so games we've played very well to beat Everton, Newcastle, PSG and RBL.

Some of our games have been fairly dull yes, and as a neutral watching those I'd be disinterested but as a United fan I cant be bored right now. I was many times under Jose and LVG, because I felt while watching those games that this is how our manager wanted us to play. I dont feel that way under Ole
Again, I’m not going to disagree with your post. We have the odd game where we show what the sum of our parts are capable of. Unfortunately those games tend to be sandwiched between a few games of dross. From my armchair manager position we look like a pretty easy team to set up against and aside from Bruno we don’t have many keys to unlock teams that sit deep.

This has been happening for some time now and I see no progress in how we deal with it.

So yes, I think we’ve got the best squad we’ve had since 2012 / 13 (maybe even before) but we’re not making the most of it, not progressing and for me, this is on Ole.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We need to ride this out, and see if Ole can pull some form out the bag or whether the up and down performances continue.

I can only point to Newcastle and Everton performances where we did decent enough, which isn't comforting when we've played 8 league games already. The only solace so far is other teams are dropping silly points.

OrcaFat

I really did think Ole was hanging by a thread before the Everton game. But now I think he was probably nowhere close to the sack at that point.

And when you look at the table two games later and see that we are above Arsenal and Man City and notice that literally no-one is suggesting the sack for Arteta or Pep, it seems ridiculous that anyone thought the board or Ole would panic after a couple of dodgy weeks.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
This is what exasperates me most about the staunch Ole defenders.

Go into any other player thread and it's fair game for them, they can slaughter who they want, no mincing of words. But come time to criticize Ole and it's excuse after excuse, and then moaning about "toxicity". It's clear there's no objectivity and it just comes across as trying to defend the manager at all costs.
One thing that's been noticeably missing the last few weeks has been the comparisons between Ole, Klopp and SAF. Have to admit those did annoy me. Klopp got time to make his squad into champions so why shouldn't Ole? Like there's any comparison to be made. Little by little the excuses are running out and how anyone can, "celebrate" yesterday's win is beyond me but that makes me a plastic fan because I'm not deliriously happy because we just about beat one of the worst teams in the league.

After 2 years and we still can't connect midfield to attack (but of course it's the players fault) is enough evidence for me that Ole is way out of his league.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I really did think Ole was hanging by a thread before the Everton game. But now I think he was probably nowhere close to the sack at that point.

And when you look at the table two games later and see that we are above Arsenal and Man City and notice that literally no-one is suggesting the sack for Arteta or Pep, it seems ridiculous that anyone thought the board or Ole would panic after a couple of dodgy weeks.
So what you're saying is because Arsenal and City have been rubbish it makes it OK for us to be as well? Believe it or not winning trophies gives managers a little bit more leeway even though I'd bet a considerable amount of money that come the end of the season (possibly before) Arteta will be picking up his P45, unless they're like us and against all the evidence they decide to keep him because they don't have a clue on how to run a football club. Sentiment seems to be the new excuse for not doing the right thing.

Eriku

Because Pep is a better manager than Ole in general ? His cycle with City just seems to be reaching its end like Poch with Spurs. Both are better managers than Ole regardless, and will have higher chance of success in their first 2-3 seasons than Ole. I won't say this is confirmed but they have higher chance of that because they're simply better managers.

And anyway, the point is yes other fans criticize their manager a lot and even want them to leave when things aren't going well even if he has initial success with the club, while here we make a big deal out of it, criticizing managers or wanting them leave is always "entitled and spoiled mentality", and "we should always stick with the managers".

Usually managers at other big clubs are treated like servants for the club hired to do a job and that's it but in United we seem to have the opposite way around.
All I’m saying is that people throw out stats about our start to the season and raw numbers as evidence that Ole’s out of his depth, and he’s been trying to steady a massive ship that’s had incredible stability at a high level. If Pep, who arrived in a situation where he had a strong title winning core and a lot of spending opportunities, is struggling, then how’s Ole meant to be mounting a challenge? Not to mention that it’s a feeding frenzy whenever United lose, it’s fair to say that Ole’s been doing decently in a far tougher situation.

Don’t interpret this as me going "Ole is deffo the best man for the job and the second coming of Fergie". My patience has wavered at the start of this season too.

Status
Not open for further replies.