Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sing you a song

What is this all about? Since when has lowering the standards, making all sorts of excuses for the results & performances right now, ever lead to building a strong foundation and competing at the top?

Facts are Solskjaer inherited a team which finished 2nd the season before, whilst the fan base and club actually blamed Mourinho for holding the team back from competing further. Solskjaer came in and made it clear how he believed in this group and knew they were quality.

So what's changed now? Everyone wants to carry on like that never happened to continue their fantasy?

If we have gone backwards and the squad is now regarded as not good enough to even make top 4, then that's all on Solskjaer & the club.

I refuse to accept the club's rubbish propaganda. All i see right now is a club drowning, gasping for air and clutching at thin air.
you don’t think the squad has improved since Ole came in ?
You don’t think AWB , Maguire and James. Have improved things
You don’t think that finally getting rid ( even if not permanently in some cases ) of dead wood like Sanchez ,Smalling , Lukaku is a positive .
Ole has made 3 signings All of them successful 2 more windows and we will be a force again

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
If I was a sociology student or academic I would be all over it. You could link it to the bigger picture too of worldwide politics and delivering horrible news/information with a friendly face/mask.
I make an effort to stay away from all things politics, but i'm aware that all of them are it, whilst the general public lap it up.

It would make one hell of a paper, that's for sure.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
This 'plan' is something that should have been installed years ago.
Of course.

But the plan is the key. This thread is about whether we should sack Ole or not. That question has no direct bearing on the key question: is there a plan in place? Yes? No?

If "no", then for me it makes no difference whatsoever whether we sack Ole or not. Like I said above, the only possible long term upside to sacking him would be the fantasy scenario in which Woodward by pure chance hires a genius who will transcend the structural issues.

No eye dear

Those who want to keep Ole do so from an emotional basis, there is nothing to show that even with better players he would be a top coach, it won't happen unfortunately

Kemizee

Actually its the opposite. Its only on Redcafe that there is such a movement to replace the manager. In the real world and amongst the match-goers (and the media) - the vast majority of people that I speak to support this project and want to give it a chance to succeed.
Yes I understand the aspect of the match going fans being patient but remember that fans of Man United will be patient with anything. Ffs even Moyes was given a standing ovation despite running Old Trafford into the ground.

In the real world of non-nepotism, OGS should have never been made manager. In fact, the line from the club was that 'appointment of the new manager will be done after a careful recruitment process AT THE END OF THE SEASON'... Something that never happened because our club loves the fairytale stories of how we struck gold and reincarnated Fergie with 'one of us'. A wild goose chase the club seems hell-bent on achieving since the great man retired despite how low the odds of that ever happening especially in the modern football landscape.

In the real world of top teams too (I mean the ones who prioritise football over finances and are about on-pitch standards', Ole should have been sacked ages ago. No other top team would keep him with his abysmal record this season. At one point we were 15th or 16th piling up unimaginable losses against teams who we should have no business losing too but then this begs the question whether Man United is a 'top team' because we don't act like one. Certainly not in terms of being proactive concerning major decisions that will shape us and our ambitions.

Conor

Yet Spurs are 14th, 11 points behind top 4, have sacked Pochettino and installed Mourinho, fully expecting top 4 at the end of the season. He even has come out today, said he expects no incomings in January, but has insisted that Spurs can win the title next season.

The difference in their approach is astounding.

I agree, a paper needs to be written about the board's successful brainwashing of the fan base. It is scary indeed.
Mourinho said the same things when we hired him, and look how it turned out.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
you don’t think the squad has improved since Ole came in?
Squad as a whole? No, we are worse off. We lost Herrera, Fellaini, knew Matic was finished, Lukaku, Sanchez, Smalling. 6 out, 3 in. We lost 3 midfielders, bought 0 in. Lost 2 experienced attackers, replaced with a single 17 year old who clearly isn't ready yet.

You don’t think AWB , Maguire and James have improved things?
Yes, they have been good signings so far. AWB & James have been good. Maguire has been okay so far.

You don’t think that finally getting rid ( even if not permanently in some cases ) of dead wood like Sanchez ,Smalling , Lukaku is a positive. Ole has made 3 signings All of them successful 2 more windows and we will be a force again
I wouldn't class Smalling as deadwood, he was our best defender. I would prefer to see Jones, Rojo, Bailly, even Lindelof leave before him. The rest i was happy in isolation, but wasn't expecting them to not be replaced. I would rather have kept them if we were not going to replace them properly.

As a whole i think we have gone backwards from last year. We lost 3 midfielders and bought none in, Solskjaer knew they were leaving in advance. Why he never replaced a single one i do not know.

I think the upgrade on Smalling with Maguire is minimal for the cost paid, and the opportunity cost for not being able to bring in a quality experienced attacker or midfielder, i question heavily. The defence wasn't a massive problem under Mourinho, our lack of goals and creativity was the bigger problem i would say. Solskjaer's decision to not strengthen these areas with quality to me is questionable.

I don't know why you are so adamant that with 2 more windows, (do you mean January & summer?) we will be a force again, when even this summer window wasn't even a resounding success with mistakes made.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Like I said above, the only possible long term upside to sacking him would be the fantasy scenario in which Woodward by pure chance hires a genius who will transcend the structural issues.
"The only possible long term upside"!?

Erm... hang on - so you're saying that it's either Ole Solskjaer or a 'genius who will transcend the structural issues'...?

What about the simple - 'a better manager than Solskjaer'?

The reality is that, plan or not, Man Utd have one of the worst managers in the fecking PL - a manager that NO OTHER PL club would currently want... or indeed any Championship club wanted after his Cardiff failure.

It wouldn't be difficult for Woodward to employ a better manager than Solskjaer... indeed, his employment is literally surreal at this level.

It would however, be very difficult for Woodward and the Glazers to find a more placid, docile, grateful for employment manager than Solskjaer - make of that what you will.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
What is this all about? Since when has lowering the standards, making all sorts of excuses for the results & performances right now, ever lead to building a strong foundation and competing at the top?

Facts are Solskjaer inherited a team which finished 2nd the season before, whilst the fan base and club actually blamed Mourinho for holding the team back from competing further. Solskjaer came in and made it clear how he believed in this group and knew they were quality.

So what's changed now? Everyone wants to carry on like that never happened to continue their fantasy?

If we have gone backwards and the squad is now regarded as not good enough to even make top 4, then that's all on Solskjaer & the club.

I refuse to accept the club's rubbish propaganda. All i see right now is a club drowning, gasping for air and clutching at thin air.
Because its more about the immediate results. We are not in any position to challenge for big honors right now so the most important thing is we are moving in the right direction, and this goes way beyond results and league placements. I am not saying us playing like shit in many games and getting 16 points from 12 games is "progress" because it clearly is not, but if you look outside the results things are not so bad

1) Player recruitment has been the best since Fergie left. All of them walked into our first Xi and improved us a lot. Most importantly though all of them are really young for their respective positions
2) Getting rid of deadwood. I know a lot of people love to use this against Ole, but outside of Herrera leaving which he had nothing to do with, all the rest had to go for various reasons
3) Fitness is better. I cant for the life of me find any "distance covered" stats, but i know we were dead last under Jose and i am pretty confident we look a lot fresher now
4) Despite our shitty results players seem happy and motivated and this is fecking important.
5) Our performances have been better than our points tally suggests. Yes there have been some utterly shite ones like Newcastle and West Ham, but i firmly believe we deserved a lot more than two points from Wolves, Palace and Soton. Had we won those like we deserved we would be 2 points behind City and everything would look a lot different

Jose put all his effort into winning the league at all costs and it ended really badly for him(and us).

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Of course.

But the plan is the key. This thread is about whether we should sack Ole or not. That question has no direct bearing on the key question: is there a plan in place? Yes? No?

If "no", then for me it makes no difference whatsoever whether we sack Ole or not. Like I said above, the only possible long term upside to sacking him would be the fantasy scenario in which Woodward by pure chance hires a genius who will transcend the structural issues.
I don't think there is a concrete plan in place, that transcends each manager no. How can i when we still haven't even got a dof in place yet? For me to believe that, i would have to see them modernising the club structure, in line with the other best in class teams.

If OGS leaves tomorrow, i believe this current plan will leave with him. The board change their minds like the wind. I believe they are going with this plan now, because it suits them in controlling the fans, not because they believe it will lead to success in the near future.

I don't agree there's no upside in replacing OGS, unless it's with a once in a lifetime manager.

He's a nice guy sure, but i do not believe he is even a decent manager. I look at the vast majority of managers in the premier league with envy right now, that can't be right for Man Utd surely? Forget about Pochettino, Brendan Rodgers and Nuno Santo would be a vast improvement on OGS right now.

Last edited:

patty123

Ffs even Moyes was given a standing ovation despite running Old Trafford into the ground.
Over here we call that be classy and respectful as he tried but job was to much for him like it was for lvg and Jose even after he had 325 million to spend, net 285.

In the real world of top teams too (I mean the ones who prioritise football over finances and are about on-pitch standards', Ole should have been sacked ages ago. No other top team would keep him with his abysmal record this season. At one point we were 15th or 16th piling up unimaginable losses against teams who we should have no business losing too but then this begs the question whether Man United is a 'top team' because we don't act like one. Certainly not in terms of being proactive concerning major decisions that will shape us and our ambitions.
You're golden boy lost 13 games last season score a mighty 2 more goals with the golden boot winner and one of the top strikers in the world and plays better attacking footie than us according to some.

oh and for those who still like to bring up Ole's first team going down, pouch left the team hin spain rock bottom 9 points of safety and then got sacked, went to saints walked out a yr later, yeah lets get him in asap eh.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why would we ignore Solsjkaer? he's our current manager, ignoring him when making a point like this is pretty useless.
It clearly isn’t useless, I’m making a point about Pochettino as a manager, it has nothing to do with Ole.
We are allowed to speak about managers without bringing Ole into it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You mean like Mourinho? Or Van Gaal? Or even Moyes (according to some on here)?

It's a very simple point: there's something basically wrong at United. Since Fergie we have hired managers according to a certain "plan": get someone in and carry on according to the model which worked under Fergie.

Is it purely coincidental (bad luck) that every single one of them have failed? Or could the problem be that the model which worked under Fergie doesn't feckin' work under anyone else?

Shark

@NotShark
It clearly isn’t useless, I’m making a point about Pochettino as a manager, it has nothing to do with Ole.
We are allowed to speak about managers without bringing Ole into it.
But when we have a manager with even far less of what you say we should be doubting Poch for as a managerial signing, it is pretty useless. Ole must always come into the frame, because not hiring a proven manager just because we have a manger who's a great guy and has United's best interests at heart but is failing to get us anywhere near top four this season, isn't exactly the best business plan.

Fosu-Mens

Then we're obviously fecked.

That's the point, though: if the people in charge of hiring new managers have no idea what they're doing, we are - again, and indeed, fecked. Unless they just luck out and hire an absolute genius who will deliver the goods in spite of everything that's structurally wrong at United. That doesn't seem very bloody likely, though, does it - and the likes of Poch or Allegri really don't strike me as fitting that bill (nobody does - it would have to be, literally, SAF Mk2).
The "cornerstone" has to be correct. And I think that we are on the opposite end of the scale of the type of football that is likely to yield success over time. So basically I think this OGS project was fecked from the getgo given that we have seemingly failed to understand that to be successful over time, some variation of possession-based football is fundamental. If you are not able to control games and the ball against perceived weaker teams then you will not be successful long term.

My sole issue with Poch is that despite being able to make his team control the games and the final third against weaker teams for most of his games in charge during his spell at Spurs, he was never able to make his team systematically break down the low sitting teams when they defended their box. The way Guardiola and City do this with passing and movement taken out from a NFL playbook makes him the best attacking tactical coach in the world by some margin. If Poch was able to replicate Guardiola in this area he would be close to the perfect manager for us.

Dec9003

But when we have a manager with even far less of what you say we should be doubting Poch for as a managerial signing, it is pretty useless. Ole must always come into the frame, because not hiring a proven manager just because we have a manger who's a great guy and has United's best interests at heart but is failing to get us anywhere near top four this season, isn't exactly the best business plan.
That’s just a longwinded way of saying you don’t actually want to have a conversation about Poch’s credentials.
Solskjær obviously has his problems, but they shouldn’t be highlighted when discussing a potential replacement.
If we go for a new manager, they should be judged for their own accomplishments, not just by looking good compared to the manager who wouldn’t have been good enough.

mu4c_20le

If OGS leaves tomorrow, i believe this current plan will leave with him. The board change their minds like the wind. I believe they are going with this plan now, because it suits them in controlling the fans, not because they believe it will lead to success in the near future.
Then we better hope Ole stays because we would be well and truly fecked if that happens. We can't take another complete rebuild.

Greck

If you're Ed there's nothing to reconsider. By a massive stroke of luck fate has given him the opportunity to redeem his mistake. If he goes for Poch he can feel good about himself that we didn't have to pay his massive termination fee like if we had done it in the summer. A financial bargain. Now (end of season) is the time to move before Ole can undo any good he has done so far. Same thing we should have done with Jose last summer

But nope he won't do this. He's going to screw it up royally. We will employ no foresight and spend one more half season confirming the obvious by which point all the viable alternatives would gave been snapped up by other clubs

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
You mean like Mourinho? Or Van Gaal? Or even Moyes (according to some on here)?

It's a very simple point: there's something basically wrong at United. Since Fergie we have hired managers according to a certain "plan": get someone in and carry on according to the model which worked under Fergie.

Is it purely coincidental (bad luck) that every single one of them have failed? Or could the problem be that the model which worked under Fergie doesn't feckin' work under anyone else?
I agree. The problem is definitely the structure that surrounds the manager. They have all came out afterwards and said the same thing. But i'm not sure if the model has actually changed at all.

What has changed since Mourinho? The expectations have been lowered, with the club now focusing on youth, but where is the structure in place to continue this direction if OGS leaves? Is Woodward, a banker, going to relay all the knowledge and information gained during this time to the incoming manager? Who then?

That's my biggest problem with this current plan. It seems like we're solely relying on OGS to execute it, when what if OGS isn't capable of turning it into reality? After all he's one man, who's inexperienced at this level too. Then what do we do? It's all thrown out of the window and we start again with the new manager?

Last edited:

Greck

Then we better hope Ole stays because we would be well and truly fecked if that happens. We can't take another complete rebuild.
This plan isn't some scarce set of ideals that only one manager can implement. Take a look around many top managers have similar plans. What's so unique about Ole's plan? The only real difference i see is the British emphasis which is incredibly overrated as a factor

mu4c_20le

This plan isn't some scarce set of ideals that only one manager can implement. Take a look around many top managers have similar plans. What's so unique about Ole's plan? The only real difference i see is the British emphasis which is incredibly overrated as a factor
First coherent plan that makes sense and suits our club culture in the six years since Fergie retired. It may not be unique but poor recruitment strategy makes up for at least 50% of our previous managers' downfall, with tactics and philosophy being the other half. Except maybe Moyes, the man was a clown..

Shark

@NotShark
That’s just a longwinded way of saying you don’t actually want to have a conversation about Poch’s credentials.
Solskjær obviously has his problems, but they shouldn’t be highlighted when discussing a potential replacement.

If we go for a new manager, they should be judged for their own accomplishments, not just by looking good compared to the manager who wouldn’t have been good enough.
Or I could easily say you're just avoiding a discussion about Ole by removing him from the frame, because when we do discuss both, there's only one winner. Our league form is horrendous to boot for months now, which makes the move for a better qualified manager even more sensible. The reality is, Ole is currently our manager, so telling people to remove him from the discussion just doesn't make sense. I look at Poch and see a manager that's consistently delivered CL football, including a final for a club that simply wasn't at that level before he arrived. There's a reason why up until very recently, Levy was clinging onto him for dear life when big clubs were circling. Things change quickly in football though, mostly harshly. It doesn't mean that Poch isn't one of the most promising and sought after couches in the game and hiring is 100% a risk worth taking, because guess what? Ole will be going nowhere near a top club when he leaves here, Poch will be heading to Bayern. You only get one chance at hiring the top managers.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name

Erm... hang on - so you're saying that it's either Ole Solskjaer or a 'genius who will transcend the structural issues'...?

The reality is that, plan or not, Man Utd have one of the worst managers in the fecking PL - a manager that NO OTHER PL club would currently want... or indeed any Championship club wanted after his Cardiff failure.

It wouldn't be difficult for Woodward to employ a better manager than Solskjaer... indeed, his employment is literally surreal at this level.

It would however, be very difficult for Woodward and the Glazers to find a more placid, docile, grateful for employment manager than Solskjaer - make of that what you will.
And you know this as fact?

Last edited:

Greck

First coherent plan that makes sense and suits our club culture in the six years since Fergie retired. It may not be unique but poor recruitment strategy makes up for at least 50% of our previous managers' downfall, with tactics and philosophy being the other half. Except maybe Moyes, the man was a clown..
What part of the plan is so great though? Young players? Attacking football? It just has a feel good buzz because it's an attempt at an imitation of Fergie. There's nothing specific about it that makes one say "only Ole can". All the other top clubs already do these things.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Because its more about the immediate results. We are not in any position to challenge for big honors right now so the most important thing is we are moving in the right direction, and this goes way beyond results and league placements. I am not saying us playing like shit in many games and getting 16 points from 12 games is "progress" because it clearly is not, but if you look outside the results things are not so bad

1) Player recruitment has been the best since Fergie left. All of them walked into our first Xi and improved us a lot. Most importantly though all of them are really young for their respective positions
2) Getting rid of deadwood. I know a lot of people love to use this against Ole, but outside of Herrera leaving which he had nothing to do with, all the rest had to go for various reasons
3) Fitness is better. I cant for the life of me find any "distance covered" stats, but i know we were dead last under Jose and i am pretty confident we look a lot fresher now
4) Despite our shitty results players seem happy and motivated and this is fecking important.
5) Our performances have been better than our points tally suggests. Yes there have been some utterly shite ones like Newcastle and West Ham, but i firmly believe we deserved a lot more than two points from Wolves, Palace and Soton. Had we won those like we deserved we would be 2 points behind City and everything would look a lot different

Jose put all his effort into winning the league at all costs and it ended really badly for him(and us).
1) I agree they have been good so far. I would have expected more arrivals in the summer though. I do question Maguire, considering we paid £80m & lost our best defender in Smalling in the process. I question whether those resources would have been better spent on an attacker/midfielder instead, where goals & creativity have been a big problem for years now.

2) The removal of deadwood is good in itself. I was happy at the time. Not so much Smalling, i would rather all of the other CB's go before him. But if you were to tell me, we wouldn't replace any of them, i would have rather kept them instead. After all, our barebones squad this season has destroyed us.

3) I'm pretty sure this is a myth. I myself cannot find any fitness stats too, but I haven't noticed any difference in our fitness this season. We still sit back and counter a lot. We have a very young team now, with rapid players like James, Rashford & AWB, also Fred runs all day long, instead of Lukaku, Matic, Mata, Young we're bound to appear fitter.

4) I agree, it's what has kept OGS in the job, if the player's spirits had dropped a while ago, he would probably have been replaced by now.

5) I agree, but it's because we have such a young inconsistent team. I blame the summer recruitment for not bringing in a quality attacker to replace Lukaku & Sanchez, and quality midfielders to replace Herrera, Fellaini & Matic. OGS & the club must take their fair share of the blame for that. Anyone could see the results this season coming a mile off with such a thin inexperienced squad.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

What part of the plan is so great though? Young players? Attacking football? It just has a feel good buzz because it's an attempt at an imitation of Fergie. There's nothing specific about it that makes one say "only Ole can". All the other top clubs already do these things.
It's not unique mate, it just works. Im happy that for once, most or all of our signings are working out and looking like proper United players. Nothing to do with Fergie or hE iS tHe OnE. I want him to stay b ecause the players clearly respect him and I want to see how far he can take us.

Greck

It's not unique mate, it just works. Im happy that for once, most or all of our signings are working out and looking like proper United players. Nothing to do with Fergie or hE iS tHe OnE. I want him to stay b ecause the players clearly respect him and I want to see how far he can take us.
Fair enough. Personally and imo I'm certain I've seen enough major red flags to know how far he can take us so am less keen on waiting to see

Dec9003

Or I could easily say you're just avoiding a discussion about Ole by removing him from the frame, because when we do discuss both, there's only one winner. Our league form is horrendous to boot for months now, which makes the move for a better qualified manager even more sensible. The reality is, Ole is currently our manager, so telling people to remove him from the discussion just doesn't make sense. I look at Poch and see a manager that's consistently delivered CL football, including a final for a club that simply wasn't at that level before he arrived. There's a reason why up until very recently, Levy was clinging onto him for dear life when big clubs were circling. Things change quickly in football though, mostly harshly. It doesn't mean that Poch isn't one of the most promising and sought after couches in the game and hiring is 100% a risk worth taking, because guess what? Ole will be going nowhere near a top club when he leaves here, Poch will be heading to Bayern. You only get one chance at hiring the top managers.
1) Solskjærs league record for the last year is better than Poch’s, if we’re comparing the two.
2) If you’re speaking about the next manager of united then Solskjær shouldn’t come into the discussion, it’s a pointless comparison.
If you are going to make comparisons, it should be with the other managers we could bring to the club, not the one we’re planning on getting rid of.
In this scenario Solskjaer would be irrelevant, he wouldn’t be at the club anymore.
People really get too precious about Poch, your post proves that.

Conor

Can you please stop spouting absolute nonsense. Cheers.

Rafaeldagold

Can you please stop spouting absolute nonsense. Cheers.
That’s not nonsense at all. It’s complete fact. What other Prem team would want him? 0

Championship? With quality managers like Bielsa in there I’d say not many- bottom part of the league may take a punt?

So look at the reality.

Cheers

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
'One of the worst managers in the league' / 4th most points in the league since he took over. Strange.

mu4c_20le

'One of the worst managers in the league' / 4th most points in the league since he took over. Strange.
Well, Molde.... Cardiff..... arrgh! sometimes I feel like I entered a US political thread. By the way, Lampard finished 6th in the championship and lost in the playoffs. Wonder how he ranks with the other managers in the league.

Mainoldo

Edit: Don’t get the Martial and York connection
Mate theirs no nationality connection. It’s quite obvious it’s because they are black. He could be from Australia it would still be the same comparison. It just doesn’t work aswell when you do it because the players white. :)

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
3) I'm pretty sure this is a myth. I myself cannot find any fitness stats too, but I haven't noticed any difference in our fitness this season. We still sit back and counter a lot. We have a very young team now, with rapid players like James, Rashford & AWB, also Fred runs all day long, instead of Lukaku, Matic, Mata, Young we're bound to appear fitter.
You're not going to, but come the end of the season, and next season you definitely will - you don't eat a tin of beans and start farting like a trooper straight away, maybe you do!

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Time for the cub to show some class, back Ole 100%, and give him an improved/extended contract.
Thank Christ you are not the CEO of the club.

Why on earth should they give him a contract extension? He only signed the last contract back in March and has been diabolical.

Shark

@NotShark
1) Solskjærs league record for the last year is better than Poch’s, if we’re comparing the two.
2) If you’re speaking about the next manager of united then Solskjær shouldn’t come into the discussion, it’s a pointless comparison.
If you are going to make comparisons, it should be with the other managers we could bring to the club, not the one we’re planning on getting rid of.
In this scenario Solskjaer would be irrelevant, he wouldn’t be at the club anymore.
People really get too precious about Poch, your post proves that.
You seem to be creating rules to suit your own argument. Did you want us to stick with Moyes when LVG became available, or did it not matter who we had in charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.