Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You called it last summer on AWB. I was sceptical and thought he might improve but it’s clear he’ll never be up to standard attacking wise.
Sorry don’t agree on AWB. For his first season he’s posted up reasonable attacking stats. Even yesterday people moaned about that cross but if we had a poacher gambling they would have gobbled that up.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
In that case, the use of 'shots on target' doesn't tell the full story and is used misleading in this case to represent how much we 'dominated' them then isn't it?

Did they have a few limited good chances towards our goal or got into our box more comfortably that we wanted? Yes.

Did we make fecking hard work of those 14 chances on target? Yes.

Should the players take responsibility for the finishing? Yes.

Do I think Ole has shown some consistent deficiencies enough to call him out it? Yes.

Does that mean I think he has been terrible for us? No.

Why is it so black and white for some you and being so defensive? :confused:

Look at some of the recent replies, who basically say the same things. We are not are well coached as we can be; no more no less to that statement.
No, no it doesn't. In what way is them having a shot or two blocked misleading? We also had several shots blocked. We had almost 3x as many attempts. We also hit the post 4 times. We also had a marginal offside call go against us. We also had a genuine penalty claim turned down. Your attempt to suggest that those precious few shots they had blocked by our defenders doing their job somehow makes the game closer than it was is the actual attempt to mislead here.

You GENUINELY said they had more class on the ball than us tonight. Just let that sink in. A game in which is dominated both in possession and chances created by a considerable margin. And to justify it you claim the 'shots on target' stat is misleading. Their keeper set a record for the amount of saves in match for crying out loud. If we won that game by 4/5 goals no on would've bat an eyelid. There's a reason people are being 'defensive.' it's because it's the biggest load of nonsense agenda post we've read on here all week.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
This thread once again has some very astute observations which are countered by pure whataboutism and top red nonsense. This doesn't lead to a good discussion but just pointless name-calling.

It's all well and good saying you believe in Ole and using stats that help your case but there are just as many, if not more, which show the opposite.
He says, then proceeds to offer no single stat to back that up. Go ahead and offer up those stats bud.

What this thread demonstrates is there are plenty of people out there that has an inability to admit when they are wrong, and will massively overreact to a game in order to try and 'save face.' If their keeper didn't have the game of his life, setting a record for saves, or we didn't have an affair with his right post, do you think we would be having this discussion right now? If our finishing was sharper and we scored 4/5 goals, which was just as likely as scoring 1; do you think we would be having this discussion?

James Peril

You can’t be serious. It was a great game to watch! We got so unlucky on many occasions which made it better to watch. How are some of you so blind to see a good game of football when it happens? If a couple of them posts or wondersaves would have gone on you’d all be creaming your pants saying how good we are. Get a grip.
I kind of get what you’re saying, but we have to remember these are minnows on bad form, it wasn’t Watford at home in the Premier League. We were never in danger and would have equalized if they went one up with that chance they had after some silky play... but the game was a tactical wreck. We were 11 better players against 11 weaker players and in the end it showed, but the lacking calmness and erratic attacking play shows us how little is implemented from training. A win is a win, but still worrying. I am not very concerned about Sevilla or Inter, because they will give us more room and we will score more easily (which is ironic of course), but we really should have killed that game in the first half by showing superior attacking play and skill. We didn’t, we gave them an opportunity to bite and they took it immediately.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This thread once again has some very astute observations which are countered by pure whataboutism and top red nonsense. This doesn't lead to a good discussion but just pointless name-calling.
Start the post with "top red nonsense" and then in the same line talk about good discussion :lol:

Both sides are as bad as each other, you find one side acceptable as they want Ole out.

Infra-red

I honestly can't think of a reason to fire Ole and this just cements it.
Imagine trying to argue otherwise.
I don't think many are. Less than a quarter of people who have responded to the poll want him gone and it's essentially just a few dissenting voices in the actual discussion.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's seriously disturbing that ¼ of United fans still vote Sack Ole end of season & appoint new coach ASAP

My flabber has never been so gasted.
This thread/poll has never reflected the fanbase as a whole.

Withnail

It's literally the same two or three usual suspects who trot out the same waffle in this thread, no matter the result. We get it, some of you won't change your stance on Ole but regurgitating the same drival after every game is fairly tedious.
The result definitely has a bearing.

If the keeper had a howler and we were 2 nil up at half-time with the same level of performance and application there'd be tumble weed in here.

This is why I don't believe a lot of it is fair and objective criticism and I consider some of them to be arguing in bad faith.

dirkey

The 'philosophy' to possession when we have the ball is pretty much 'it's a free hit'. No cohesion, subtlety or patterns of play at all. It's why AWB can have the ball so many times and he's not getting called out by his team mates or Ole when he does jack all with it.

Copenhagen had more 'class' on the ball, stretching us from side to side with a quarter of the talent, technique and athleticism. Shameful stuff.

What does Carrick, Phelan and McKenna do? Ole deserves a lot of credit for his man management, it's absolutely brilliant and breath of fresh air. He's got the players to defend as a team, be switched on defensively, work hard and be expressive when attacking but feck me it's pretty 'enjoy yourselves lads, go out and there do your work' with no further instruction. It's absolutely no wonder we look so limited and out of ideas when we're not waiting for a moment of individual brilliance.
So, Copenhagen had more class on the ball ... moving us from side to side and creating ... zero shots on target.

Critical analysis is right. Maybe, OverlyCriticalAnalysis could be a new name? Or, HarshAnalysis? Or maybe, DownrightIncorrectAnalysis?

romufc

It's seriously disturbing that ¼ of United fans still vote Sack Ole end of season & appoint new coach ASAP

My flabber has never been so gasted.
Have you ever wondered why? This is Manutd and we have alot of other fans who hate us. They produce memes and stuff about Manutd, the manager and the players, which alot of fans then start believing.

Rivals will do that, they don't watch us every game like we do. It is staggering the amount of United fans that don't actually understand the game.

They will say appoint another coach, when asked whom? they will say Poch, Nagglesman, Tuchel. The reason they want Ole gone is he cannot win trophies, but I have not seen the other managers win much, if anything.

dirkey

Where exactly are you expecting me to type my opinion from? Why are you jealous of my comfortable home?

Are you going to take my opinion more seriously if I was in any discomfort?

I agree with your analysis of the game, but isn't some of your submissions prooving my point?
Why should we sign someone who is not comfortable on the ball? I had rather sign someone who is excellent on the ball with 50% of AWB defensive ability.
The coaches are paid to organise the team and make it more modern.

Everybody can see how pogba is isolated in midfield since lock down except the coaches who apparently know more than the rest of us.
Since lockdown, P13, W9, D3, L1.

I'd be interested to see if you could find me 1 club in the top 5 European leagues who has had a better post lockdown record?

If only Pogba hadn't been isolated! These guys are clearly clueless. It's amazing. AWB, Shaw are shit and give us no attacking help according to everyone here, Matic drops too deep, Bruno is too far forward, Pogba is isolated, Rashford apparently is Championship level (I saw some beauty stating in one of the threads yesterday), we've no tactics and the "worst manager of all time" managing us ... yet, somehow we've the best record in the top 5 leagues since lockdown.

This thread beggars belief.

Web of Bissaka

Anyone still think he's ruthless?
I began to doubt again.. would be great if he just mercilessly use Lingard for the remaining time he's here and not extend his contract <-- I'm not confident at all.

And...
I want Ole to succeed but the same problems of the first half of this season resurface again.
Not seeing any signs of improvements nor attempts to solve it so far..

18/19 - 433 with Pogba freely attacks, low blocks are not a problem.
19/20 - 4231 is not a problem vs low blocks only when Bruno is in good form. No Bruno and 4231 even with Pogba is useless.

dirkey

United reaching a semi final is no achievement. It's finals we should be concerned with.
Oh for God sake. I love this kind of arrogant thinking. Despite 6 odd years of complete and utter squad mismanagement since Fergie left us, we should immediately be qualifying for finals. What a joke.

dirkey

I thought it was quite obvious to be fair
It really was! It was a fabulous post. When I saw the first response to it, my eyebrow was raised. I couldn't believe it as I read on, the number of people who didn't get it.

padzilla

Hipster
Oh for God sake. I love this kind of arrogant thinking. Despite 6 odd years of complete and utter squad mismanagement since Fergie left us, we should immediately be qualifying for finals. What a joke.
The second half of the season has been a step in the right direction but certainly not worthy of rapturous joy. Ole's goal is to get us back on our perch and he's said as much regularly. We're not Arsenal.

Withnail

The second half of the season has been a step in the right direction but certainly not worthy of rapturous joy. Ole's goal is to get us back on our perch and he's said as much regularly. We're not Arsenal.
No one's saying there should be rapturous joy.

If a lack of relentless negativity is rapturous joy then it just goes to show how toxic this place gotten :lol:

dirkey

I don't think there has been rapturous joy. I think there has been cautious optimism from a lot of us. My own personal thinking is, if he shows progress again next year, we stick with him. I don't see a title challenge next year, personally. We're too far away still. Don't have the squad for it. But if we cement ourselves in top 4 and have a good run in a cup or two, all the while cutting more of the dross, more good signings, more attacking play ... I'm happy.

There's too much short term-ism in football these days in my opinion. Needless to say, if we stagnate / regress, then I'd be thinking differently.

But no, I've not seen rapturous joy.

But the state of this thread, and the other Ole one? It's incredible. If we don't win a game comfortably you just know there's pages and pages coming in these threads. It's pathetic.

Actually, there is rapturous joy. There's rapturous joy from the naysayers who can come in and whinge when it happens. You can tell, gleeful. "I told you." "Tactically inept". "Low block". "No attacking football". "No plan." etc etc.

FatherWolff

Wow.

We could have scored 6 tonight in a European QF if it wasn't for the keeper having the game of his life and bad luck hitting the post so often. We've won the last 2 rounds by 5 or 6 goals.

But apparently we're clueless with the ball. You're definitely critical but I wouldn't call what you're doing analysis.
True. And if doing analysis maybe how well organised and how few goals Copenhagen let past them should be taken into account.
like Fernandes says. It was a though game. It was, but we won. And if we are talking about “feelings” mine were we are playing better than the last premier games and are on the up.

padzilla

Hipster
I don't think there has been rapturous joy. I think there has been cautious optimism from a lot of us. My own personal thinking is, if he shows progress again next year, we stick with him. I don't see a title challenge next year, personally. We're too far away still. Don't have the squad for it. But if we cement ourselves in top 4 and have a good run in a cup or two, all the while cutting more of the dross, more good signings, more attacking play ... I'm happy.

There's too much short term-ism in football these days in my opinion. Needless to say, if we stagnate / regress, then I'd be thinking differently.

But the state of this thread, and the other Ole one? It's incredible. If we don't win a game comfortably you just know there's pages and pages coming in these threads. It's pathetic.

Actually, there is rapturous joy. There's rapturous joy from the naysayers who can come in and whinge when it happens. You can tell, gleeful. "I told you." "Tactically inept". "Low block". "No attacking football". "No plan." etc etc.
I think sacking Ole is unthinkable right now and would be a clear sign of madness. Are we where we want to be? No, but I have more concerns over Woodward than Ole to be honest when it comes to getting there. Maybe I am overstating things and am being too dispassionate about it but there are clear shoots of recovery, we are not close to the finished article but we have a bit of an identity back and Ole has bought himself more time at the very least. We need to cement ourselves as a top four club next season and not be scraping in on the last day again and show some more consistency. Will we be able to challenge Klopp and Pep for the league under Ole? Not at the moment but the signs are we on the right track.

Last edited:

PureCantona7

I think pro or negative Ole fans will all agree it's doubtful we will challange for the title for the coming season.

The ones who want him gone believe that can change with a new manager hence their attitude.

I actually agree that he might not be the man to win us titles but I'm enjoying the football and seeing players like martial improve.

Ole deserves one more season just for making some sort of progress. People need to be patient and enjoy the football.

Maybe Ole doesn't win with us but gets the team ready for the next manager as apposed to another "rebuild". Rushing things didn't help us before and won't help us now.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Good post. Especially the last paragraph.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He says, then proceeds to offer no single stat to back that up. Go ahead and offer up those stats bud.

What this thread demonstrates is there are plenty of people out there that has an inability to admit when they are wrong, and will massively overreact to a game in order to try and 'save face.' If their keeper didn't have the game of his life, setting a record for saves, or we didn't have an affair with his right post, do you think we would be having this discussion right now? If our finishing was sharper and we scored 4/5 goals, which was just as likely as scoring 1; do you think we would be having this discussion?
Yes, I believe you would. Like you said, posters will cling to anything to try to save face. Listen, I criticise Ole more than most, but I want him to do well and I’d be absolutely thrilled if he won the league or the champions league next season — which would prove me wrong as I’m not sure if he’s the one to take us right to the very top again.

Though I really like the work that he has done with our squad: he has improved most of our team, created a real team spirit, no nonsense approach to players that aren’t good enough to be here but the key is he’s done it in a quiet manner with a lot of pressure on him. We’re also massively turned it rounds since end of January which gives me confidence that next time results will go south — they’ll pick up again. For me, that’s enough to see where and how far he can take us. He deserves that on merit.

Also agree on the keeper, he was outstanding. They’re are team that are very organised too. Personally, I always thought it would be a difficult game because we’ve essentially playing another game and they’re playing the game of their lives. The heat was ridiculous. Just various things that could have made it a real banana skin for us.

rotherham_red

Ole has won 50 out of his first 89 games as manager - the second best in the all-time Man Utd list, behind Jose.

Which is all the more remarkable when you consider that he hasn't been backed anywhere near as much as Jose was and the issues he has with this limited squad.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Sorry don’t agree on AWB. For his first season he’s posted up reasonable attacking stats. Even yesterday people moaned about that cross but if we had a poacher gambling they would have gobbled that up.
They stats have been reasonable but I don’t see him being an attacking threat to be honest. There are times in the game where he has so much space in front of him and he does nothing with it, I almost want to throw my remote through the tv. He gets the ball where he can in space of 3-4 seconds move the ball up the pitch 15-20 yards and he almost never does it. That would improve our play so much. It would make us more fluid and faster in attack.
There is also no intricate play between him and Greenwood or James or Mata. Just no one. It’s recycling possession at its most basic. I don’t know maybe I’m expecting too much of him but in my opinion he should be able to play in RW into space and vice versa couple a time’s a game. Again, I really hope I’m wrong on this one but I feel like he’s our weakest link our strongest starting XI.

Karlos PFC

Ole has won 50 out of his first 89 games as manager - the second best in the all-time Man Utd list, behind Jose.

Which is all the more remarkable when you consider that he hasn't been backed anywhere near as much as Jose was and the issues he has with this limited squad.
Ole hasn't been backed ???
What?
Would you care to explain how much did Maguire, Wan Bissaka, James, Bruno cost?
Cause I think that Pogba, Zlatan, Micky and Bailey cost much less. Also Jose didnt have a winter transfer.
So the myth that Ole hasn't been backed is pure fiction for the Ole fanboys

AshRK

Eveb Opposition player is recognizing the work Ole is doing at United. And here we have some fans who want him sacked.

rotherham_red

Ole hasn't been backed ???
What?
Would you care to explain how much did Maguire, Wan Bissaka, James, Bruno cost?
Cause I think that Pogba, Zlatan, Micky and Bailey cost much less. Also Jose didnt have a winter transfer.
So the myth that Ole hasn't been backed is pure fiction for the Ole fanboys
Learn to read, please - the crucial clause in that sentence was "anywhere near as much as Jose did". Jose's incomings that summer you mentioned was over £180m, with no major outgoings to recoup any of that outlay. Ole's summer signings comparatively cost £145m, with over half of that being recouped through the sales of Lukaku - so yes, he didn't get backed anywhere near as much as Jose did.

Status
Not open for further replies.