Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What are the excuses tonight?

Lets face it now, 100 games in charge now, more than enough to fairly judge him. Very good counter attacking manager who has massive limitations and not good for any big club with ambitions.

Can't even say he needed better players tonight, the team should have won the game easily. When 1, 2 or players play poorly you look at the players. When every player in the squad is playing crap then you have to look at the coaching staff. His subs are so poor too, makes no sense half of time.

Sorry to say, time to move on for me, but we will wait until it's too late and we have nothing to play for this season.

He'sRaldo

I’m not sure what your point is now but the overall lack of even pretending to want to win is beyond me.

Ultimately, only way person will pay the price for what has happened since the start of September. I’m struggling to find reasons to argue against that now but I almost guarantee that we will be in the same situation in 2 years with this current squad
Everybody on the pitch wants to win, but if you feel like you're ill equipped to do so, backed by evidence of so many matches prior in similar circumstances, your motivation will inevitably drop as a human being.

I too would love the players to show desire, passion, etc, but to what end? If there's no plan to it then it's just wasted energy.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
What players? We had a cultural reboot. This is a new group of players.
Exactly. Today on the pitch we had;
4 of his signings (i will not even count Cavani). Two of them are his captains.
Then we had "future captains and United through and through" Rashford and McT. Then we had our top prospects Mason, Tuanzebe and Hendo. Plus Martial, Mata and Shaw.

This is Ole's team. Through and through. Now, if that players are throwing him under the bus then it is on him. Right?

Al-T

I just can't see how it gets consistently any better under OGS. These players are capable of more but it isn't happening.

It's very sad, because I'd love OGS to succeed, but can't realistically see it happening. There will be the odd good result. Maybe two or three but they will be followed by the same number of dismal crap games.

Time to go, but it won't happen

liamp

When we win, it's the manager. When we lose, it's the players. It has always been like that with Ole.
I mean, it's like that for all our managers until the honeymoon phase is over. It's just with this fanbase, the honeymoon phase lasts far longer than most other top clubs.

For what it's worth for the people saying it's the players, here is the starting XI from tonight and, in brackets, the contract they're playing under and who gave them the contract.
  1. Henderson (5 year deal signed in 2020, extended under Ole twice)
  2. AWB (5 year deal signed in 2019, signed under Ole)
  3. Tuanzebe (4 year deal signed in 2019, extended under Ole)
  4. Maguire (6 year deal signed in 2019, signed under Ole)
  5. Shaw (5 year deal signed in 2018, extended under Ole)
  6. Matic (3 year deal signed in 2020, extended under Ole)
  7. VDB (5 year deal signed in 2020, signed under Ole)
  8. Bruno (5.5 year deal signed in 2020, signed under Ole)
  9. Mata (2 year deal signed in 2019, extended under Ole)
  10. Rashford (5 year deal signed in 2019, extended under Ole)
  11. Martial (6 year deal signed in 2019, extended under Ole)
These are Ole's players, almost all of whom have been signed to half-decade long contracts under his watch. Anyone putting blame exclusively on the players is either willfully or unintentionally ignoring that this manager has committed these players to this club. The biggest danger with this club in particular and not sacking managers quickly enough is that each manager seems to create a whole new feckin' ocean's worth of deadwood for the next manager to have to clear out. Ole's dealing with shit from the Mourinho era while creating a huge problem himself for Pochettino or whoever comes in next.

Giggsyking

I think the sentimentality is coming to the fore now. So many saying "I love Ole but..." or "I really wished it would work out but..."

Shows that ultimately we weren't able to evaluate him without that bias. That's the danger of hiring an ex legend.
Because they don't want to admit it right away. As I said early days in this thread, one day everyone in this forum will come to one conclusion, Ole is not good enough.

K Stand Knut

Everybody on the pitch wants to win, but if you feel like you're ill equipped to do so, backed by evidence of so many matches prior in similar circumstances, your motivation will inevitably drop as a human being.

I too would love the players to show desire, passion, etc, but to what end? If there's no plan to it then it's just wasted energy.
Come on mate. Their CBs had a combined age of 69 and all they had to do all night was stand there and watch the ball be passed around in front of them.

I just can’t believe that Ole trains them and encourages them to be so slow in getting the ball forward and to have Rashford and Martial up top with their backs to goal ambling around waiting for an opening in the penalty area.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
He has had his time. Too many points dropped against lesser teams. He just cant win enough. It is coming to an end.

Dearg hÉireann

Unforunately, I don’t even think we can blame the Glazers.

We have spent over £1bn since they arrived.

The one thing we have really got wrong since Fergie went is the attitude of the players and the players having the right mentality.

Unfortunately, Ole doesn’t appear to have the balls to bollock them, which after the first 2 goals tonight, I could not believe. He should have been apoplectic
Yes there's no doubt that the glazers have spent money but it's been utterly wasted by some desperate overpayment on players bought for huge sums of money and contracts handed out to utter dross like Jones and Rojo.

We're a hugely successful business for the glazers and that's why they're still here unfortunately.

I think Ole is hugely out of his depth but he most definitely wasn't backed in this summer's transfer window.

For example VDB seems like a Woodward opportunistic signing, someone who was available but wasn't necessarily wanted by the manager. Obviously I'm surmising and could be wrong but like you said earlier, it's just going to be on a constant cycle of repeat as long as Woodward is in charge of football operations.

He'sRaldo

Come on mate. Their CBs had a combined age of 69 and all they had to do all night was stand there and watch the ball be passed around in front of them.

I just can’t believe that Ole trains them and encourages them to be so slow in getting the ball forward and to have Rashford and Martial up top with their backs to goal ambling around waiting for an opening in the penalty area.
I can't believe it either, but unfortunately it's what we're seeing.

So far every single one of our teams post SAF have been an accurate reflection of the coaches. Moyes clueless, LVG structured but boring, Mourinho defensive. What makes you think it's different with Ole?

Foxbatt

What was our position when Jose was sacked? I also think if we lose to Everton he will be sacked. If he can't do the job no need to hang about and it's better to get it done and dusted.

K Stand Knut

Yes there's no doubt that the glazers have spent money but it's been utterly wasted by some desperate overpayment on players bought for huge sums of money and contracts handed out to utter dross like Jones and Rojo.

We're a hugely successful business for the glazers and that's why they're still here unfortunately.

I think Ole is hugely out of his depth but he most definitely wasn't backed in this summer's transfer window.

For example VDB seems like a Woodward opportunistic signing, someone who was available but wasn't necessarily wanted by the manager. Obviously I'm surmising and could be wrong but like you said earlier, it's just going to be on a constant cycle of repeat as long as Woodward is in charge of football operations.
I get that but I think a lot of the clubs decisions are made based on the advice given to the Glazers by the people who run the business side of the club.

I can’t remember exactly what LVG said but he criticised the way people who run the club and I blame them more than I blame anyone.

Ole is out of his depth but as when I voted in this poll, he deserved the right to continue to try and see what happens witn this squad.

Unfortunately, both the players and Ole are letting the club down.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Problems lie way above Ole. If he goes the problems will remain. The club needs a total restructuring.
This excuse is boring now.
Board bought him players for 300mil and giving him free pass for 2 years now. Is board's fault :
1) that defence in which our coach invested 130 mil euros don't play good?
2) that our midfield which is packed with quality players (two of them Ole bought) can't keep possession and play simple passes?
3) that our attack which includes 4 very good strikers can't score goals?
4) that after 2 years in charge we don't have any patterns in play?

Only things in which our board is guilty are that they hired championship level manager and that they wait too long to sack him. For that they are guilty.

K Stand Knut

I can't believe it either, but unfortunately it's what we're seeing.

So far every single one of our teams post SAF have been an accurate reflection of the coaches. Moyes clueless, LVG structured but boring, Mourinho defensive. What makes you think it's different with Ole?
maybe the last strands of hope!

In reality, the swings in performances. It seems like if some of the places don’t like a formation to something that Ole does, the players just don’t respond.

I don’t remember going from the highs of games like PSG/Leipzig this season and city/Spurs et al last season to games like tonight under any previous managers. Certainly not in the regularity that we have under Ole.

Truth be told, I really wanted Ole to succeed but knew he would never be a title challenging manager for us. He deserves this season but he’s failing now.

Last chance saloon on Saturday. Let’s see what happens

izec

Glazers and Ed out, for not being able to win against a shitty Turkish side. Not even win, but playing like a League one side. Without Sancho, a DM and a new CB impossible to perform and win against them.

On a serious note, Ole is just a bang average manager. He has no clue, we win and lose randomly. Especially against teams that sit back we look clueless. He probably still thinks all is fine. It will click in 2 years from itself somehow

Greck

Crazy to think that 8 days ago loads in here were calling for this thread to be closed. Shows how wildly inconsistent we've been under Ole's tutelage.
show how low standards are. We were still in the bottom half of the table and were acting like we had arrived off of two games

K Stand Knut

This excuse is boring now.
Board bought him players for 300mil and giving him free pass for 2 years now. Is board's fault :
1) that defence in which our coach invested 130 mil euros don't play good?
2) that our midfield which is packed with quality players (two of them Ole bought) can't keep possession and play simple passes?
3) that our attack which includes 4 very good strikers can't score goals?
4) that after 2 years in charge we don't have any patterns in play?

Only things in which our board is guilty are that they hired championship level manager and that they wait too long to sack him. For that they are guilty.
Not sure what Ole is supposed to do about that on match day from the sidelines

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Biggest mistake we made was handing him the contract when we did, it didn't make sense at the time and it still doesn't. Given how alarming our decline was after that, I don't think he'd have gotten the job had we waited until summer. My mind was made up at the end of that season itself, what has followed since then hasn't changed my beliefs. Ultimately he is not competent for this job, no amount of time will make up for that.

We will continue to yo-yo under him, this pattern is similar to last season. The difference is, 66 points won't cut it for a CL place this season.

I would be stunned if he's sacked from this result.

Maybe if we lose vs Everton, he'll go.

But I don't see us pulling the trigger yet.

I would definitely sack him though.
Ole has a habit of magically producing a result just when he's on the verge of getting the boot. Remember Spurs at home with City away in space of 4 days last Christmas? We won both and he survived. I think we'll get something at Everton which will prolong his tenure. He'll get the boot at some point this season, I'm certain, but only when CL finish is mathematically out of equation or we are in and around relegation zone at Christmas.

We don't sack managers early on, Mourinho was an exception simply because of how toxic he became and it cost the club a pretty penny to cut him then.

Artimities

If we are not on the counter ... or we haven’t gone up by 1 on a penalty... we are the most boring team in football. All we do is pass the ball around the box..
Like my uncle would always say... you can poke around her all you want, but until you put it in the hole you aren’t doing anything.
There is no excuse for us to not play better.

1nil

This shouldn’t be up for debate. UTD of all teams should understand the importance of a manager.

redmanc

Yes the club has problems above Ole but they aren't the cause of the total garbage defending and mistakes the players keep making, nor are they causing Ole to make such mindboggling team selections. His times up anyway as far as i'm concerned.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Expected it to be more in all honesty. A-lot have been on the verge of wanting him gone for a while now, and I thought the last two games would be the tipping point for plenty.
Seems that way. It’s such a shame that Ole can’t get more consistency out of us. There’s a good team in there somewhere, we’ve seen evidence of it often enough to know that it isn’t a fluke.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The scary thing is, I don't think he'll go even if we lose against Everton. He needs to get disastrous results until the next international break with no positives to be even considered for sacking.

This is going to leave us way off top 4 and even a good manager coming in swinging would be facing an uphill battle to make CL.

Robbie Boy

Depending how this weekend goes, we could potentially be 9 points off top four. I mean...

Thing is, Ole has a habit of pulling out a result when he looks down-and-out, so I certainly wouldn't bet against it.

Giggsyking

Bojan Djordjic just said it is stupid to let an attractive name like Poch wait when desperately need a change.

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Yeah it’s time to move on. He lost me with the Arsenal result, the naïveté and lack of preparation for this loss just reinforced it.

sugar_kane

Based on tonight I think he might have lost the players, they were still trying for him (except Pogba and Matic who can do one) but they look confused, lost and deflated.

Didn’t see his post match interviews but based on the quotes he sounds fairly defeated himself.

I don’t think we’ll sack him yet because Ed is a stubborn bastard but I think he’ll be gone by new year, basically just at the point where the season is unsalvagable.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I mean, it's like that for all our managers until the honeymoon phase is over. It's just with this fanbase, the honeymoon phase lasts far longer than most other top clubs.

For what it's worth for the people saying it's the players, here is the starting XI from tonight and, in brackets, the contract they're playing under and who gave them the contract.
  1. Henderson (5 year deal signed in 2020, extended under Ole twice)
  2. AWB (5 year deal signed in 2019, signed under Ole)
  3. Tuanzebe (4 year deal signed in 2019, extended under Ole)
  4. Maguire (6 year deal signed in 2019, signed under Ole)
  5. Shaw (5 year deal signed in 2018, extended under Ole)
  6. Matic (3 year deal signed in 2020, extended under Ole)
  7. VDB (5 year deal signed in 2020, signed under Ole)
  8. Bruno (5.5 year deal signed in 2020, signed under Ole)
  9. Mata (2 year deal signed in 2019, extended under Ole)
  10. Rashford (5 year deal signed in 2019, extended under Ole)
  11. Martial (6 year deal signed in 2019, extended under Ole)
These are Ole's players, almost all of whom have been signed to half-decade long contracts under his watch. Anyone putting blame exclusively on the players is either willfully or unintentionally ignoring that this manager has committed these players to this club. The biggest danger with this club in particular and not sacking managers quickly enough is that each manager seems to create a whole new feckin' ocean's worth of deadwood for the next manager to have to clear out. Ole's dealing with shit from the Mourinho era while creating a huge problem himself for Pochettino or whoever comes in next.
I agree that this is his team and he is responsible for getting a tune out of them. He also couldn't stop raving about them when he joined even though there have been plenty of changes since. But that team from tonight is hardly an ocean worth of deadwood for the next manager. Maguire wouldn't fetch anywhere near what we paid, not even half. Mata and Matic would need subsidised wages to leave, and Shaw could maybe bring in 15-20m. The rest could all be sold for what we paid or more and there wouldn't be any shortage of takers I don't think. Ole has done OK in getting rid of players. We've only got about 6-7 now who are very hard to shift :D

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I think Pochettino is an incredibly overrated manager. I think he’d likely be sacked a few years after arrival having not won anything and failed to mount challenges. I did not want him as Manchester United manager.

Ole is testing that stance. Sacking him won’t solve United’s fundamental problems of a lack of a director of football and long term squad building. It might make United better in the short term though.

Wilt

He should be sacked asap. A win or loss against Everton will prove nothing and just prolongs the agony.

One of the most expensive clubs in Europe and an absolute disgrace.

Based on tonight I think he might have lost the players, they were still trying for him (except Pogba and Matic who can do one) but they look confused, lost and deflated.
The players are told to switch systems every week, 4-3-3, 5-3-2, a diamond, Matic started in CM tonight, Bruno on the right, then Matic was a CB for the 2nd half.
I swear ALL of the players heads must be spinning from this constant swapping and changing system.

AshRK

I might be wrong but I just don't see the ruthlessness in the board to sack him even if we lose or draw to everton.

jamesjimmybyrondean

The players are told to switch systems every week, 4-3-3, 5-3-2, a diamond, Matic started in CM tonight, Bruno on the right, then Matic was a CB for the 2nd half.
I swear ALL of the players heads must be spinning from this constant swapping and changing system.
Matic as a CB was strange. Why not just bring on a CB

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Crazy to think that 8 days ago loads in here were calling for this thread to be closed. Shows how wildly inconsistent we've been under Ole's tutelage.
This thread should be closed simply for the fact that its caused a massive divide on this forum. Everything that could possibly have been said has been said. How soon into the next guys tenure is the same thread going to be opened, and round and round we all go again?

AshRK

This thread should be closed simply for the fact that its caused a massive divide on this forum. Everything that could possibly have been said has been said. How soon into the next guys tenure is the same thread going to be opened, and round and round we all go again?
And as I said in my above post there is no guarantee he will be sacked even if we were to lose to Everton. This board doesn't have the balls to do it.

dove

Depends on how the next guy does. If he is as useless as Ole, pretty soon I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.