Would you sell Rashford?

siw2007

If we had a strong selection in the forward positions already, and we could get a really good fee for him, I would say go on then.

But we don’t. Rashford could start the season as one of 4 senior forwards, which includes Elanga who has made roughy 20 appearances for us and Martial who is off on loan and might not stay anyway. We can’t really afford to let him go right now.

Besides, I want to see what a new manager could do with him to start with after a full pre-season. Most of his issues are in his head, not what he can and can’t do with the ball at his feet.

LoneStar

While I would consider selling him if we get an outrageous offer, this is highly unlikely for a couple of reasons -
i) Let’s be honest, no one is going to bid 80-100M+ for him, given his current form and some big clubs struggling financially.

ii)We will likely see Ronaldo, Cavani and Lingard leave, potentially Martial too next season. That combined with Greenwood makes us seriously lack numbers in attack. While we’d all like a FM like transfer season, it’s not happening.

iii) If Ronaldo leaves, the club needs someone who is the face of the club. Other than Bruno maybe, we don’t have anyone like that. Also his work outside of football, and him being an academy player further promotes this. So they are unlikely to sell.

mikeyt

For his own good and ours, yes! But with the Greenwood situation, Martial, Lingard, Cavani, Mata and maybe Ronaldo all probably gone in the summer I can't see it happening.

jesperjaap

While I would consider selling him if we get an outrageous offer, this is highly unlikely for a couple of reasons -
i) Let’s be honest, no one is going to bid 80-100M+ for him, given his current form and some big clubs struggling financially.

ii)We will likely see Ronaldo, Cavani and Lingard leave, potentially Martial too next season. That combined with Greenwood makes us seriously lack numbers in attack. While we’d all like a FM like transfer season, it’s not happening.

iii) If Ronaldo leaves, the club needs someone who is the face of the club. Other than Bruno maybe, we don’t have anyone like that. Also his work outside of football, and him being an academy player further promotes this. So they are unlikely to sell.
Why does it have to be £80-100m though out of interest? Only Felix and Kane would cost those kind of fees as a striker this summer and Im not sure outside of exhorbitant premiership fees for players we simply wont get like Saka for example that there are many players anywhere in the world out wide at the moment who would cost that.

I agree the other two points are valid, especially the last. I dont think we are severly lacking in number in attack, we would still have Elanga, Amad, Hannibal, Sancho that can play out wide where Rashford is suited and elts face it, its on the left where Sancho looks best suited and Elanga is a promising deputy. And for me Rashfors ISNT a striker, so really what benefit does he hold with the way he has been for so long? Sellign Rashford for £50-60m which I think we can get, in dream land almost buys you Haaland, being more realistic, pretty much pays for both a new striker and a new right winger, thats the whole reason I would 100% sell him. Again though I think your last point along with the mere fact many could be leavign anyway, its all very veyr unlikely this summer he leaves

stevoc

Well of course Im speaking for myself but I have seen plenty of people who have criticised Rashford being accused of various things when in fact what they are doing is commenting on a footballers ability to play football.
Cool though as I say I wasn't actually accusing anyone of anything other than developing a bizarre dislike for Rashford.

Im sure you have seen it yourself.
I try to stay out of Rashford threads to be honest mate, they've become quite toxic for reasons I'm having a hard time trying to grasp.

For me he's been playing with various fairly serious injuries (and might still be) and has came back into a side in crisis where half the team are in diabolical form. Adding to that his new manager being determined to play him anywhere but the position he's most comfortable in and for me those factors mostly explain why he continues to be in such terrible form.

stevoc

It has been a disgrace. He struts on the pitch like prime Maradona while almost every decision and touch he makes are garbage. Do you think his form has been acceptable ?
So is it his form or his attitude you have a problem with?

I can't imagine ever describing a players form as being disgraceful to be honest. He looks like he might still be having trouble with his back injury.

Bertie Wooster

Unless the club have knowledge or concerns about Rashford's ongoing commitment / professionalism then, no, I wouldn't sell him given all the other players we definitely / likely need to replace in the summer.

It's already going to be a busy enough window with the #9 issue, Greenwood's ongoing absence, Pogba probably leaving, the DM issue still needed to be addressed, etc.

It's not the summer to give up on Rashford as well and add another incoming to the lengthy list. Not unless those seeing him on a day to day basis get the feeling there'll be no improvement in sight.

Volksie316

Absolutely not, but his attitude stinks at the moment, and he needs to pull his finger out his backside!

Maticmaker

Who would buy him in current form? He is taking the dele alli route
Or the Anthony Martial route!
The one thing in common with all these players (who have shown they can do the job in the past),is they look like they want to be somewhere else...there is no enjoyment in wearing the shirt... or playing in front of thousands of fans, they have become so much 'up their own backsides' its incredible, and a great pity, because even if they move on the cloud hanging over them will move too!

AFC NimbleThumb

Or the Anthony Martial route!
The one thing in common with all these players (who have shown they can do the job in the past),is they look like they want to be somewhere else...there is no enjoyment in wearing the shirt... or playing in front of thousands of fans, they have become so much 'up their own backsides' its incredible, and a great pity, because even if they move on the cloud hanging over them will move too!
The cloud hasn’t hung over multiple players who didn’t appear to want to be here & left though. We’ve a number of players just as talented as our rivals who seem to not want to play for us, we’re either terribly unlucky or perhaps the problem isn’t just the players. Look at our No.11 who’s career has been curtailed off the field. He was showing the same self absorbency on the field that beset Martial, Rashford, Depay, Lingard alike.

Sell Rashford at 24 & we’ll see the same resurgence we’ve seen with others. Lingard literally looked transformed on a 6 month loan, Martial is smiling at Sevilla so this ‘cloud’ doesn’t seem to hang around long after leaving. I’d argue Rashford & Martial have never really played at a happy club, there best football came after Project Restart & dwindled pretty quickly afterwards. Yes they’re pampered professionals but it’s not really been a happy place to come to work for some time.

NotQuiteManc

I won't sell him, but a loan to another club might help him. Help him in a sense that things might not as green(er) outside of United, where being at home club, he gets more protection perhaps, more lenient and more understanding of his issues or problems that he might be having at the moment. If he is indeed happier outside of Manchester, then a buyout clause could be included in the loan.

Maticmaker

The cloud hasn’t hung over multiple players who didn’t appear to want to be here & left though.
I didn't say it did. I was responding to another post and referring to three players, Martial and Rashford at United and Delli Ali at Spurs ( now Everton) who all exhibited similar responses, when loss of form hit them.

AFC NimbleThumb

I didn't say it did. I was responding to another post and referring to three players, Martial and Rashford at United and Delli Ali at Spurs ( now Everton) who all exhibited similar responses, when loss of form hit them.
My bad. I do think the point applies to the Martial Route point though. It doesn’t take long for players to leave & suddenly begin enjoying things more. What I see are players who don’t enjoy their workplace.

Maticmaker

My bad. I do think the point applies to the Martial Route point though. It doesn’t take long for players to leave & suddenly begin enjoying things more. What I see are players who don’t enjoy their workplace.
Ok! Then they should leave, it makes sense.
The problem is, as the original poster was questioning... would you sell Rashford? I take it you think he should be sold?

I believe (only of course from observation) the problems these three players faced were similar, in that within their own physical and technical personality 'make up' they have some problems and if this is the case, that their problems lie within themselves, then those problem(s) would in all probability follow them to another club!

True, at another club they may get help and assistance that perhaps they felt they couldn't get at their existing clubs, unfortunately the decision about leaving is not just up to the individual, at least until his contract runs out.

fallengt

With current form, not even relegation teams would want him for free

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You can't really call the modern football fan a supporter can you

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
One of Fergie's success recipe is to sell players who don't have hunger playing for United anymore. RvN, Rooney (he tried to), Beckham, Yorke, Cole, Berba, and a bunch of others.

Skillful player is important, but he has hunger as the main priority.

I really can't stand this kind of attitude from player. If Rashford has injury, he needs to heal it up. If he has personal problem, don't show it on the pitch. If he doesn't like the "work environment" (whatever the feck it means), then get a loan or move to other club.

Last edited:

Varane around town

I wouldn't sell Rashford... yet

He needs to put on notice and I hope that the new manager makes it clear that we need to see one hell of an improvement from Rashford. If we don't then maybe he needs get sent to the United naughty step (Everton) and he can go away and try and get some form.

peridigm

I would not sell him yet. Sell Martial and bring in one or two more ready made forwards this summer to let him fight for a starting spot.

MrSingh2002

If we had Greenwood and Cavani yesterday we'd have won the game easily.

The season those two have had couldn't be predicted.

Cavani will need to be replaced. The unknown situation is with Greenwood obviously.

Replacing Ronaldo and Cavani with one young top striker might be enough.

Rashford, New signing, Sancho and (maybe Greenwood) could be enough for us to do ok next season. Worst case we also have to replace Greenwood.

SamVimes

If we had Greenwood and Cavani yesterday we'd have won the game easily.

The season those two have had couldn't be predicted.

Cavani will need to be replaced. The unknown situation is with Greenwood obviously.

Replacing Ronaldo and Cavani with one young top striker might be enough.

Rashford, New signing, Sancho and (maybe Greenwood) could be enough for us to do ok next season. Worst case we also have to replace Greenwood.
Greenwood will never play for Manchester United again.

FerociousCorgis

He really is just a brain dead player. Ridic for a supposed "world class player". That "dummy" or whatever the heck he was trying to do was just the dumbest thing I've ever seen from a professional footballer. You'd think it had been deflected or his vision blocked until last moment based on how he "went" after it. Say what you want about Ronaldo but at least he looks like he is trying out there

Jibbs

Anyone offers 75m plus and we should charter flight him there.

DaveinToronto

The only excuse to keep him will be the PR reason; to become the face of the club for his "Non-football related contribution".
That sums up how bad Rashford is as a player.

Jackal981

So is it his form or his attitude you have a problem with?

I can't imagine ever describing a players form as being disgraceful to be honest. He looks like he might still be having trouble with his back injury.
Both. The part you did not bold in my post shows that. Stop cherrypicking for your own interest

Abraxas

Not for me. I think our attack is too short. We're not in a position of strength from which to sell him. If we get 60 million for him we have to find a player but we also need 2-3 players to cover the other players we are losing. That is not practical in one summer, this is the real world not Football Manager.

I think it's very much a case of trying to improve his performances for another season and then reassessing.

El Jefe

I'm not really a fan of his and even I wouldn't entertain the thought of this right now.

As many have mentioned we're short on numbers at the moment but most importantly he's far better than what he's shown this season. We need to try everything to get him in the right state of mind to start performing again. My feeling is this will not happen under Ralf so give him a chance under the next manager and if there's no change then we can sell him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Someone needs to sit with him and have an honest talk. I can certainly see him wanting to leave/change enviroment judging by his behaviour for quite some time. I'd have no problem with him leaving if that's the case.
But I think this club is very concerned about image and marketing value and will not want to let him go.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
No. Have him as backup to Sancho on the left, invest in a long term striker and actual right winger next Summer (unless the new manager sees Diallo as a starter which I highly doubt at this stage).

I dont think hes been in great form these past 18 months, but recently as a sub he's been more effective than not, bar a couple of appearances. If we offload Cavani, Lingard and potentially Martial & Pogba, we are very light up across the front 3 unless we invest in 2 or 3 players up there, which again I doubt.

Oranges038

In an instant. His career will slowly go downhill when he realises he’s not anywhere near as good as he thinks he is. That huge contract he is on sums this club up.
I think he would have a Welbeck style descent. I'd also be of the opinion that Martial is pretty much done here as well. These two have had enough chances and they have proven time and time again they just don't have enough about them as attackers to get Utd back to the top.

The whole Greenwood thing probably means that at least one of them not going anywhere anytime soon though.