g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Would you take Conte at United?

Would you want Conte at United?

• Yes

Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Conte fits our current squad than pretty much any manager out there. He'd fit it better than Pep, as we don't have a squad that is great at keeping possession and playing tight quick football. He'd fit it better than Klopp as we don't have a squad fit for high pressing, constant energy football. Conte, and managers like Conte, is what our squad is built for right now. World class personnel in defence and attack. Some average midfielders. Quality and depth in attack but players who do pretty much feck all in defensively. So what do you need with that? A 3-4-3 type of system where the manager can coach them as a unit and have the individual talent overcome the opposition.

People have this dream of getting the next Pep or Klopp when the structure just isn't there to support that behind them, and it won't be for the near future. Conte was a perfect situation for us that was almost handed to us on a silver platter, and we've managed to feck that up too. Incredible.
I've beginning to think that this may be the case. With Ronaldo upfront, and Maguire at the back, Conte may actually be better for us (without any changes to the squad) than Pep or Klopp. I do think we can play front foot footy but it would requre some time and changes too.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
No I'm not forgetting a manager being upset with an unprofessional player and no I'm not forgetting the manager being upset with untrustworthy owners. I don't call either of these things meltdowns because in both case it never affected his ability to do his job at a high level. Similarly I don't consider SAF having a meltdown when he was upset with Keane or when he was on a feud regarding Rock of Gibraltar.

Edit: One thing that is true about him is that he is a drama queen but it doesn't prevent him from doing his job, the same applies to Tuchel.
Ah so it's all the other parties fault and not Conte's then?

The guy is drama that I don't want to have to deal with at my club. Ole needs to go asap but Conte ain't the man to replace him

SATA

I am genuinely curious why there are so many in here who think that Spurs will get top four ahead of us. We have the better players, the better squad and we just beaten them 3-0. They will run close but they won’t finish ahead of us. Reminds me of the times when the same lot laughably had Jose‘s Spurs finishing ahead of us when he was appointed

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I am genuinely curious why there are so many in here who think that Spurs will get top four ahead of us. We have the better players, the better squad and we just beaten them 3-0. They will run close but they won’t finish ahead of us. Reminds me of the times when the same lot laughably had Jose‘s Spurs finishing ahead of us when he was appointed
People love the self loathing, the grass is greener everywhere else

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
I guess some are more convinced of the value of the manager over that of the players. Who would win over a season, a world class manager with an average squad vs an average manager with world class players?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Conte has to go to London and agree things with Levy first right?

I think I will wait before that before panicking myself.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I think it is more a matter of there are several teams that could be near 4th at the end of the year rather than Spurs specially. If Conte does take over there, I have no doubt he will have that squad willing to run through a wall for him. If the infighting and players questioning Ole continues, it can have a pretty devastating effect. I would say there are a lot of wheels turning here and not just one aspect or team.

peridigm

I'm more worried about Moyes's WH. :nervous:

Flytan

I guess some are more convinced of the value of the manager over that of the players. Who would win over a season, a world class manager with an average squad vs an average manager with world class players?
The issue is he isn't average. He's volatile. The players could be firing on all cylinders and we get top 4 or it could be like the last month's and we finish 9th. If our results weren't so volatile I would take the average manager and world class squad.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ah so it's all the other parties fault and not Conte's then?

The guy is drama that I don't want to have to deal with at my club. Ole needs to go asap but Conte ain't the man to replace him
In the examples that you gave, yes? Diego Costa wanted to leave England for personal reasons and was being unprofessional, it had nothing to do with something Conte did and from that point Conte wanted him nowhere near the rest of the team. As for Suning, it has been a weird situation where they claim to be particularly ambitious but seemingly don't have the funds, in the end we now know that they don't have it Suning are in financial trouble and their chinese club filled for bankruptcy.

largelyworried

Only a few die hards thought Jose was still a good manager when we sacked him, but Conte won the league just last season and shows no signs of decline. He's unquestionably a better manager than Ole. Whether that will overcome a deficit in squad quality, hard to say, but far from impossible.

Flytan

In the examples that you gave, yes? Diego Costa wanted to leave England for personal reasons and was being unprofessional, it had nothing to do with something Conte did and from that point Conte wanted him nowhere near the rest of the team. As for Suning, it has been a weird situation where they claim to be particularly ambitious but seemingly don't have the funds, in the end we now know that they don't have it Suning are in financial trouble and their chinese club filled for bankruptcy.
Their league of legends team was also dissolved, however irrelevant that is.

kps88

Horrible timing from our point of view with Spurs wanting a new manager. We might not have been interested in him, but lose a few more games badly and the board could have changed their mind.

Bondi77

Zidane......I think that answers that question.

Teja

Horrible timing from our point of view with Spurs wanting a new manager. We might not have been interested in him, but lose a few more games badly and the board could have changed their mind.
Feel like there will always be competition from the top clubs. RM with Ancelotti, PSG with Poch, Barca with Xavi, Arsenal with Arteta off the top of my head for clubs that might need new bosses.

If anything it was the right time to get someone like Conte because the only real competition was Spurs and no one in their right mind would take that job over the United one.

LARulz

An 18 month contract is excellent and exactly what we should have done. We all know he is short term and it works for him. He comes in, gets us winning and he's off - if it goes well enough that we all want to continue then it will. In those 18 months we could be buttering up Ten Haag or someone rather than giving them a shit show

Damn Spurs

JPRouve

Scout
Did you see the team he had at Madrid that won multiple Chmps League titles?
Yes, the same team that didn't win with Benitez an actual average manager, I also don't remember Barcelona win 3 CLs in a row with a better team than that. I also remember the team that won the league in 19/20, it wasn't world class team. I think that calling Zidane an average manager is not accurate.

Bondi77

Yes, the same team that didn't win with Benitez an actual average manager, I also don't remember Barcelona win 3 CLs in a row with a better team than that. I also remember the team that won the league in 19/20, it wasn't world class team. I think that calling Zidane an average manager is not accurate.
Well let us see what He does at his next club then.

Tyrion

Tuchel won the CL and got top 4 with the same Chelsea side that was drifting into midtable. Spurs have Kane and Son who were brilliant for parts of last season. If Spurs got Conte tomorrow, I think they'd be more likely to get top 4 than us.

I don't remember if I wanted us to lose during Moyes' time but my frustration with our lack of ruthlessness has now gotten to the point were I think we'd be better off long-term if we lost against Spurs. Most opposition fans seem happy that we won. They can laugh at Spurs and enjoy us struggling.

::sonny::

United never been interested in him

Always focused on Pochettino and Rodgers, but it’s unlikely a change of the manager

Nobody at the club interested in changing Ole, the staff and other things and start again from zero

Till the club is in the first 4/6 places it’s all ok

JPRouve

Scout
Well let us see what He does at his next club then.
We always do but it doesn't really answer the question of how Zidane is an average manager when his achievements aren't average. Of course I could be wrong but did you have the same opinion about Guardiola in 2013?

Hughie77

That's the end of that. He's off to spurs . So now we can concentrate on our own business.

Bondi77

We always do but it doesn't really answer the question of how Zidane is an average manager when his achievements aren't average. Of course I could be wrong but did you have the same opinion about Guardiola in 2013?
When has Zidane ever had average players?

JPRouve

Scout
When has Zidane ever had average players?
When has Guardiola ever had average players? Is that how you judge a manager and not on how they perform at the highest level against the best teams and managers in the world?

Wing Attack Plan R

And we lose the next 2? Then what?
I think it's a mistake to go by one result, or even a couple. The board should already have a metric in place, where if a bad run reaches a certain duration, it's the end.

It's not just the next 2 matches, it's who we are playing in those 2 matches. We should beat Atalanta. A draw would be a good result against City. We've lost 3 of our last 5 in the league. Our record in the league over 10 is 5W 2D 3L, which is still not calamitous even if it's not what we want.

Liverpool was a disaster. Aston Villa and Leicester were poor performances with a host of errors and tactical miscues. If we would have lost against that really poor Spurs side, it would have been 4 losses out of the last 5 played in the league, which would be enough for sacking (in my view, unless there was some force majeure reason).

At the midpoint of the season we should assess where we are. Ole's win percentage needs to be at a certain predetermined amount. What that amount is, I don't know. It's relative to league position and the competition around us. At the midpoint we should be in the top 4, or within a game of being in the top 4, or else that is also a sacking offense.

We just emerged from a bad run of form. If Villa and Leicester had gone our way, we'd all be singing zipadeedoodah out our wahzoos. We'd be currently in 2nd with Liverpool in 5th. So you have to judge over a certain period of time, or number of matches, and then act dispassionately.

Bondi77

When has Guardiola ever had average players? Is that how you judge a manager and not on how they perform at the highest level against the best teams and managers in the world?
Both have never had average players and both have had bottomless pits of resources to draw from so until we see them manage a mid table side in a strong league we will never know how good they are as managers in the true sense of the word.

Levi1

I'd like to change my plea. I voted no on Conte, with the expectation that we might get Zidane instead. But despite my concerns about him being a short-term solution, and that I expect our board to hang on too long for our own good, I still think Conte would be better than the likes of fn Brendan Rodgers.

passing-wind

Not everything is about the players, Conte is a world class manager Ole is not. That's where the comparison is and where it ends

Everyoneout

Some quotes from an Italian journalist about Conte going to Spurs :

"The level of concentration and the quality of training will increase under Conte. Every single player will get that energy jolt thrust into them - if they follow him. And if they don't, he has no problem whoever it is to completely freeze them out, he doesn't care."

"They mopped the floor with every single team in Serie A by playing a very organised style of play and they scored for fun."

I wonder whether we might do another Ronaldo and go for him.

JPRouve

Scout
Both have never had average players and both have had bottomless pits of resources to draw from so until we see them manage a mid table side in a strong league we will never know how good they are as managers in the true sense of the word.
That's not the true sense of the word though, neither have average results at the highest level. Is winning 3CLs and 2 league titles in 4.5 years the average return for Real Madrid? Knowing that no Real Madrid manager has won 2 La Liga titles since Del Bosque in 2001 and 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.