Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I think the point is we don't want to lose games anymore? And some feel that replacing Ole with Antonio Conte would go a long way to achieving that small goal.
If the man they really want was available I think he'd have gone after Liverpool.

The club don't want Conte and I get it. He's a good coach but he's a loose cannon also.

Maybe there is a plan and maybe just maybe it's going to take some time. If we have to wait till the summer for the right manager then that's how it is.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Can I also just point out that more people have voted 'No' on this poll than 'Yes' on if they want Conte.

He's clearly a good coach. Nobody has suggested he isn't. But he's also an absolute mad man and very hot headed. He's definitely not the right fit for our hierarchy and deep down fans know this. They just want Ole out so badly they choose to ignore this.

I'd rather wait for Poch or Ten Hag than go down the wrong path again.

Real Name

But the rational view incites intense mockery and backlash while the irrational view is regarded as a requirement to be a true fan.
It's not all black and white. I just don't losing to Spurs wouldn't change anything. If losing to Liverpool didn't change boards mind and they didn't bring in Conte losing to Spurs wouldn't change it either.

Sviken

So you wanted us to lose at the weekend? Can you just clarify that.
No, because I do not believe that Ole would be sacked even if he lost. But If had to make a choice between losing to Spurs to sack Ole, then I'd have taken that option every. single. time.

I don't think a defeat to Spurs would change their mind if a 5-0 home defeat to Liverpool didn't. They don't want Conte. Maybe they have somebody else in mind eh?
You're under the assumption that anyone gives a crap what the morons in charge of this club want. They are the ones who gave 2 3 years contracts to Ole. What they want is the last thing any United fan should be concerned about.

What a joke this fanbase has become. Half of you want wouldn't even be Utd fans if you were born after the turn of the millennium either.

Man the F up.
This is the kind of elitist attitude I absolutely can't stand and this is the kind of attitude that is driving this club to the ground. The idea that you HAVE to support the club no matter what, even if they are making absolutely idiotic choices. That you have tos upport the manager, yada yada. Whatever. I know that Ole is not good enoug hand we're going nowhere with him, so the faster we bin him, the faster the club can progress. You go on and do you - cheer Ole's at the wheel while getting smacked 0-5 by Liverpool at home, I don't care. But don't pretend you're anymore fan than me or anyone else for that matter because you're not. You're just content with accepting mediocrity, which is fine, I guess.

Infra-red

But the rational view incites intense mockery and backlash while the irrational view is regarded as a requirement to be a true fan.
Being a football fan isn't really rational - indeed, just the opposite.

It's entirely rational to want United to lose to Atalanta, Ole to get sacked and a vastly superior manager (eg Conte) appointed, but I don't think you can really be a United fan if you're going into games hoping for defeat.

I don't think Ole is a particularly good football manager, but I do want us to beat Atalanta and I also hope we smash City 7-0 at the weekend.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
If the man they really want was available I think he'd have gone after Liverpool.

The club don't want Conte and I get it. He's a good coach but he's a loose cannon also.

Maybe there is a plan and maybe just maybe it's going to take some time. If we have to wait till the summer for the right manager then that's how it is.
If the board feel Ole is never going to reach the standards required of a United manager, why delay his sacking until the end of the season, writing it off in the process? Doesn't make any sense. They may as well appoint an interim and make use of the inevitable new manager bump that comes with it.

Infra-red

If the board feel Ole is never going to reach the standards required of a United manager, why delay his sacking until the end of the season, writing it off in the process? Doesn't make any sense. They may as well appoint an interim and make use of the inevitable new manager bump that comes with it.
They are probably saving a possible new manager bump for the run in (if it looks like we're going to miss 4th place).

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Because hiring and sacking many doesn't come cheap. And top managers don't tend to take interim roles either.

Maybe Ten Hag has been chosen but we can't get him till May. Or Maybe it's Poch. There's probably more going on than we think.

I have never once thought Conte is the right fit for this club. Still don't.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

It's entirely rational to want United to lose to Atalanta, Ole to get sacked and a vastly superior manager appointed, but I don't think you can really be a United fan if you're going into games hoping for defeat.

I don't think Ole is a particularly good football manager, but I do want us to beat Atalanta and I also hope we smash City 7-0 at the weekend.
I don't agree with that because a real fan is in it forever which means that a real fan should accept a loss if it means that the club is better for it in the long run. Irrationally wanting to see the club win despite the fact that it's going to hurt it is weird and impossible to defend which is why we label it as irrational because it doesn't serve the club that we love. If anything the rational fans are "true" fans at all time, they are willing to accept and anticipate something they don't like because it's good for the club.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Because hiring and sacking many doesn't come cheap. And top managers don't tend to take interim roles either.

Maybe Ten Hag has been chosen but we can't get him till May. Or Maybe it's Poch. There's probably more going on than we think.

I have never once thought Conte is the right fit for this club. Still don't.
We don't need a top manager to fill an interim role, just someone competent enough to motivate the side, has a proper beard and is fluent in French.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We don't need a top manager to fill an interim role, just someone competent enough to motivate the side, has a proper beard and is fluent in French.
Could still happen this week or next. Laurent Blanc perhaps? Experienced manager. Won a league title as a coach.

I'm just saying I don't think the club want Conte and neither do I.

Stadjer

I haven't a clue what they're doing. I genuinely mean that.
If it makes you feel any better, I doubt the board knows what they are doing either... I think @Infra-red is very nice to assume the board looks ahead to the run in. We are talking about a board that was pressured into making Ole the permanent manager and extended his contract while there was zero reason to rush into any of those things.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We're thinking of different Frenchmen.

Absolutely no chance. He's not a manager. He's also one of the biggest club legends of all time. We can't fall for that trap again and it becomes awful when it goes badly.

I think the club will try and hang on till summer though now if Ole improves us. Then they go for Poch or Ten Hag or maybe someone else.

croadyman

Absolutely no chance. He's not a manager. He's also one of the biggest club legends of all time. We can't fall for that trap again and it becomes awful when it goes badly.

I think the club will try and hang on till summer though now if Ole improves us. Then they go for Poch or Ten Hag or maybe someone else.
I just hope the right options are still on the market next summer and fear we could regret not taking Conte last week

Son

Can I also just point out that more people have voted 'No' on this poll than 'Yes' on if they want Conte.

He's clearly a good coach. Nobody has suggested he isn't. But he's also an absolute mad man and very hot headed. He's definitely not the right fit for our hierarchy and deep down fans know this. They just want Ole out so badly they choose to ignore this.

I'd rather wait for Poch or Ten Hag than go down the wrong path again.
Mourinho won us trophies though so I don’t understand this wrong track thing. We just need a world class coach.

I don’t even particularly rate Poch at the very top end of European football and Ten Hag is a huge gamble at a massive club.

Conte tbf to him would probably be the surest bet to win a trophy or two but if they wait to bring in Ten Hag, some new coaches and Van Der Sar I’m happy.

croadyman

Sounds like we may as well close this thread, hope you know what your doing Utd but doubt that very much

bonothom

Weird reaction but ok
Why? I couldn't give a shit about top 4 anyway. If that's the level now for keeping the job and that's called a great achievement then this club is doomed to win NOTHING! Bringing Rodgers in would be a terrible decision as well as he's a title winner in Scotland where he had NO opposition. If Conte goes to Spurs then I think that's great for them but absolute shit for us.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Why? I couldn't give a shit about top 4 anyway. If that's the level now for keeping the job and that's called a great achievement then this club is doomed to win NOTHING! Bringing Rodgers in would be a terrible decision as well as he's a title winner in Scotland where he had NO opposition. If Conte goes to Spurs then I think that's great for them but absolute shit for us.
Yeah I agree with all of that. I just can’t see myself laughing if we lose out on 4th.

BorisManUtd

Pep, Klopp, Tuchel and Conte all in PL. Similar to 2016/17 season it was just Jose instead of Tuchel but I guess Tuchel is much much better manager than Jose these days, so it'll be even stronger set of managers in Premier League this time.

I don't know what we're going to do but unlike Conte, who is proven, you could say neither of our targets mentioned aren't proven, other than PL proven (except ten Hag). Either way, it's great for the league having most of top managers working in it.

Crashoutcassius

You think that there is plenty of sensible options? I genuinely struggle to find one.
it is probably easy if you think ole will get us relegated or similar. i think we have a fair chance of getting into top 4, a similar chance as we would with any other interim manager, so i dont see the rush. be better to get the next appointment correct and take chances on where ole gets us in the mean time, in my view

dinostar77

Well done Levy made a mistake this summer. Axed nuno and got one of the best managers in world football in (when its confirmed). While we dither about. Sigh.

Crashoutcassius

Pep, Klopp, Tuchel and Conte all in PL. Similar to 2016/17 season it was just Jose instead of Tuchel but I guess Tuchel is much much better manager than Jose these days, so it'll be even stronger set of managers in Premier League this time.

I don't know what we're going to do but unlike Conte, who is proven, you could say neither of our targets mentioned aren't proven, other than PL proven (except ten Hag). Either way, it's great for the league having most of top managers working in it.
id say jose at the time was still gold dust, i dont really understand the view that tuchel came to chelsea billed as an elite manager. he had just failed in one of the easiest jobs in football. not saying he came with no fanfare at all, but his reputation wasn't at a peak. mou had one bad falling out at madrid at that point, and had won a league at every team he had managed if im correct.

Crashoutcassius

Well done Levy made a mistake this summer. Axed nuno and got one of the best managers in world football in (when its confirmed). While we dither about. Sigh.
what was the mistake in summer given that conte and a few others turned them down? i think they went with 5th or 6th choice. had to pick a manager. fortunate for them that conte has changed his mind now probably, or they wouldn't have sacked nuno today

Eplel

We're a joke, and another season gone to waste.

I hope we lose to Atalanta, it's the only way to get rid of Ole it seems.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream

It's entirely rational to want United to lose to Atalanta, Ole to get sacked and a vastly superior manager (eg Conte) appointed, but I don't think you can really be a United fan if you're going into games hoping for defeat.

I don’t think there’s any single “right” way of being a fan. You can be a fan in the 100%-support-no-matter-what kind of way, even if you know the club is just spiraling further and further into the wilderness, and that’s admirable in its own right. But you could also be a fan in the more pragmatic/ruthless way in that you want what’s best for the club, even if it means taking short term pain to get it. I just disagree with all the mockery that gets thrown at any fan who dares to say that they hope for a loss as it’s better for the club in the long run.

I’ve not put that across eloquently at all but I hope you get the gist.

Infra-red

So are we hoping for a defeat vs Atalanta or what's the deal?
No - we want to get out of the CL group!

Ultimately, it probably won't make a difference either way now that Conte is off to Spurs. Ole will see the season out at United, come rain or shine.

croadyman

No - we want to get out of the CL group!

Ultimately, it probably won't make a difference either way now that Conte is off to Spurs. Ole will see the season out at United, come rain or shine.
Yep I have accepted there won't be any change now until at least the summer much as I don't think he's the right guy

Infra-red

I don't agree with that because a real fan is in it forever which means that a real fan should accept a loss if it means that the club is better for it in the long run. Irrationally wanting to see the club win despite the fact that it's going to hurt it is weird and impossible to defend which is why we label it as irrational because it doesn't serve the club that we love. If anything the rational fans are "true" fans at all time, they are willing to accept and anticipate something they don't like because it's good for the club.
I don’t think there’s any single “right” way of being a fan. You can be a fan in the 100%-support-no-matter-what kind of way, even if you know the club is just spiraling further and further into the wilderness, and that’s admirable in its own right. But you could also be a fan in the more pragmatic/ruthless way in that you want what’s best for the club, even if it means taking short term pain to get it. I just disagree with all the mockery that gets thrown at any fan who dares to say that they hope for a loss as it’s better for the club in the long run.

I’ve not put that across eloquently at all but I hope you get the gist.
I do get it. On the flipside, wishing for defeat is just anathema for many fans and therefore totally incomprehensible.

Ultimately, we'd probably all be better off if we could all accept that everyone here genuinely wants the club to do well. It might at least cut down on some of the mud slinging (from both sides).

Status
Not open for further replies.