• No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I am not expecting 30+ years as long term, even 7-10 years would do for me. Conte seems more like a 2-3 seasons type of manager to me though.
You are expecting 2 to 3 times the average tenure length. That's not realistic.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
With the squad you have right now, Conte is the right man at the right time for a serious two seasons push to the PL glory.

He demonstrated his ability as a winner in many different circumstances in Italy, England and the national team. He gives a clear pattern and also makes the whole much more than the sum of the parts, which is what United needs right now.

He leaving his former teams in a mess is a myth… his excellent work propagates at least one season after him, just ask Allegri at Juve and Inzaghi at Inter.
Is it actually? He’s a top manager who massively gets more out of players you wouldn’t expect — I can envisage him doing some mad shit like Elanga and Lingard being key wingbacks for him, but I’m not sure the squad comp suits his style at the moment.

We only have 3 CBs you can rely on (Maguire; Varane; Lindelof). I guess we’ve got the senior proven strikers he likes, but there’s too many lazy wide attackers we have (Rashford; Martial; Sancho; Greenwood etc.)

I think Zizou would fit the side better because we have so many options and he’s a great in game manager, but I’d love either really.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
With the squad you have right now, Conte is the right man at the right time for a serious two seasons push to the PL glory.

He demonstrated his ability as a winner in many different circumstances in Italy, England and the national team. He gives a clear pattern and also makes the whole much more than the sum of the parts, which is what United needs right now.

He leaving his former teams in a mess is a myth… his excellent work propagates at least one season after him, just ask Allegri at Juve and Inzaghi at Inter.
Great post. Juventus were good to watch under him. They pressed high and were proactive. At Chelsea, his football was at least as good to watch as it has been under Tuchel, with Hazard rating him as the best attacking coach he’d ever had.

He’s very good defensively but that’s not because he’s a defensive coach. He’s the one coach available right now who is technically at Klopp and Pep’s level. Would like to see him back in the Premier League and I think he’d turn Greenwood, Rashford and Pogba into the players they should be. I think Ronaldo would like working with a winner like Conte.

Devil may care

Still a no for me, I do think Ole needs replacing but Conte is too temperamental, his style of football dull and we don't have the players for his preferred system.

jamesjimmybyrondean

This is the thing, so many want him gone but very few, if any, propose a serious candidate to replace Ole.

While we are looking for the next Pep and Klopp we should keep looking for the next Messi, eh.
They are the two best managers on earth, no debate, nobody is available who is remotely as good yet we want the manager sacked right now, immediately.

There is nobody waiting in the wings that the club will risk sacking Ole for at this point. This is a chief reason also for many fans to stick with Ole until such time that there is a guaranteed upgrade.
You really think there's is no upgrade on Ole? There are quite a number, we just need to choose the one that suits our players. We should only stick with Ole this season until our objectives are getting out of reach.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Again, of course I’d bloody take him. He will guarantee us a title challenge and then later we can appoint a different coach.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
No. Conte would just be another temperamental short term solution. But maybe short term-ism should be our outlook. Least we'll get a few trophies along the way.

Also, I hate his stupid hair.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Now if conte at united i will start to worry. United and conte certainly made for each other in my opinion. He is as good in attack as any one as long as he has tools.

For United I will say Conte is best bet to win league despite pep klopp and tuchel as rivals.

CM

I'm not really convinced Conte is the one to get us going. He has a good record domestically but the level of competition in this league is higher than he's ever had it before, and I'm not sure how much the profile of this squad really suits him.

I imagine we'd win a trophy if Conte came in but I have a few reservations about his European record, what he's done in the transfer market and how long he stays at clubs. It feels very much like when we sacrificed all our principles to get Mourinho in, I doubt the ends will justify the means.

Blood Mage

He's just a more attacking Mourinho, and he's every bit as toxic. We might win a couple of trophies but we'd be facing another big rebuild job after he's gone.

Paxi

I'm not really convinced Conte is the one to get us going. He has a good record domestically but the level of competition in this league is higher than he's ever had it before, and I'm not sure how much the profile of this squad really suits him.

I imagine we'd win a trophy if Conte came in but I have a few reservations about his European record, what he's done in the transfer market and how long he stays at clubs. It feels very much like when we sacrificed all our principles to get Mourinho in, I doubt the ends will justify the means.
Level of competition fluctuates frequently. Some seasons we need to be at our best. Last season not so much. Not something to be worried about in my opinion.

PoTMS

Conte would win us the title. Enough said. He is no Mourinho who is quite clearly past it.

DWelbz19

Still a no for me, I do think Ole needs replacing but Conte is too temperamental, his style of football dull and we don't have the players for his preferred system.
Isn’t the style of football we play now dull also? Our last 4 games have been pretty dour stuff.
I posted about this before, Conte’s teams may not be free flowing, but they play some consistently decent football:
He won the league and the FA cup in 2 seasons at Chelsea, and he became the first team to win the Serie A not named Juventus since 2011. He even came second by one point in his first season at Inter!

At Inter he scored 89 goals in 2020/21 (only Gasperini’s insane Atalanta side scored more - by one goal); and in 2019/20 they scored 81 — again, only Atalanta scored more.

At Chelsea in 2016/17 they scored 85 (only City scored more, by one). 2017/18 is the only blip —and that was the season where Costa and Willian were playing up.

He’s a very very good manager. Whoever gets him next will be a shoe-in for their domestic title.

Paxi

He's just a more attacking Mourinho, and he's every bit as toxic. We might win a couple of trophies but we'd be facing another big rebuild job after he's gone.
He’s a bit of a drama queen but he’s nowhere near Jose in terms of toxicity — nowhere near.

Micky Targaryen

You must be taking the piss if you are saying the only 2 managers better than Ole are Klopp and Guardiola. :houllier:
That idea is what is in their heads but they wouldn’t dare to say it out loud.

Keeping Ole just because there’s no next Pep or Klopp available has got to be the laziest argument out there.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
This man bought our meme players and turned them into Serie A champions. Lukaku's improvements were also down to him. He might be a little crazy at times but if you want instant result he is one of the best.

Oranges038

No way.

Mourinho pt2. Yeah, he is a very good. But he's going to find something to blow his top over and have his strop so he gets his pay out to leave early.

Pep's Suit

Can't believe so many United fans don't want Conte. If Pep left City tomorrow this guy would be the first I'd want to replace him. He's a short-term solution so what? Most managers stay only for 2-3 years anyway. Ok, his european record is poor but there are maybe 8 teams which can win CL, there are no guarantees. It's as bad as when so many United fans claim how each of their players is the best. Shaw is the best left-back in PL, Maguire is the best centre-back, you know what? Varane is even better. And this game Pogba is better than KDB and... ohh Fernandes is better than KDB and did I mention that Ronaldo's the best striker in the world?? Well and somehow this team still shouldn't be counted as one of obvious title contenders. Genuinely don't understand what most United fans actually expect and want anymore.

Paxi

This man bought our meme players and turned them into Serie A champions. Lukaku's improvements were also down to him. He might be a little crazy at times but if you want instant result he is one of the best.
That’s a good point. He was literally winning things with our deadwood. If that’s not something to ponder for the Joel Glazers then I don’t know what he’s thinking in terms of an ideal candidate.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
When Conte won the serie A title with Inter last season, his team has scored 89 goals, 2nd highest in the league

When he won the PL title with Chlesea few years back, his team has scored 85 goals, also 2nd highest in the league.

Actually I don't think it would be bad idea if we have him here. At least we won't be playing defensively for 1-0 scoreline like Mourinho does.

CM

Level of competition fluctuates frequently. Some seasons we need to be at our best. Last season not so much. Not something to be worried about in my opinion.
Do you think he could come in and win us the league or Champions League by the end of next season though? Ultimately that's what we're looking for, and I don't think he could provide that.

Paxi

No - He's a short term manager that burns players out and leaves once things start to decline.
Really? I could have sworn someone made a good point that the idea that he leaves teams in bad shape is frankly a load of old bollocks. Think it was @el3mel

Paxi

Do you think he could come in and win us the league or Champions League by the end of next season though? Ultimately that's what we're looking for, and I don't think he could provide that.
I think he would have us challenging domestically. I’m not sure about CL. He’s record isn’t that great in Europe but domestically he’s superb. His record speaks for it self. If he can’t come in and do something with this team here then we may as well quit because this squad is good bar a quality DM.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
He’s a bit of a drama queen but he’s nowhere near Jose in terms of toxicity — nowhere near.
Its pretty easy to throw attack on Conte mate. He is very good coach and always wanted better for his team to win competitions. He is explosive but Chelsea fans most still loves him. He will invigorate old Trafford crowd with his passion.

I do think you want to do all saf style full control freak of nature coach then Conte is best bet for you. He will make players die for your team. If some player think they are bigger than club he will show them their place.

Devil may care

Isn’t the style of football we play now dull also? Our last 4 games have been pretty dour stuff.
I posted about this before, Conte’s teams may not be free flowing, but they play some consistently decent football:
Yes, the style of football is dull under Ole but I don't want to replace that with another manager who's football I personally also find dull. The biggest issue though is even if the style of football doesn't matter as much to a fan, we don't have the squad for the system he plays.

edgecutter

I just want a manager that can get a consistent tune out of the players we have, and if that means Conte than I would take him over having Ole.

Paxi

Its pretty easy to throw attack on Conte mate. He is very good coach and always wanted better for his team to win competitions. He is explosive but Chelsea fans most still loves him. He will invigorate old Trafford crowd with his passion.

I do think you want to do all saf style full control freak of nature coach then Conte is best bet for you. He will make players die for your team. If some player think they are bigger than club he will show them their place.
Well that certainly sounds promising. If he likes autonomy then he’ll certainly get it at Manchester United.

DWelbz19

Aside from the points about style of play (disproven), shape of squad post tenure (disproven), the idea of his toxicity and falling out with people is exaggerated also. It’s worth remembering that Tuchel was supposedly a very difficult character before he joined Chelsea too. Heck, even Pep is a cnut.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No - He's a short term manager that burns players out and leaves once things start to decline.
Don't think that's necessarily true at all.

Left Juventus in 2014 having won 5 trophies in 3 seasons, Juventus went on to win another 14 trophies over next 7 years.

Left Chelsea in 2018 having won 2 trophies in 2 seasons, Chelsea went on to win another 3 trophies (including CL) over next 3 years, despite wasting 1.5 years with Lampard in charge.

Left Inter in 2021 having won a Serie A title in 2 seasons, Inter is still looking strong this season so far with 4 wins 2 draws over 6 games.

Paxi

Aside from the points about style of play (disproven), shape of squad post tenure (disproven), the idea of his toxicity and falling out with people is exaggerated also. It’s worse remembering that Tuchel was supposedly a very difficult character before he joined Chelsea too. Heck, even Pep is a cnut.
Good coaches being demanding, control freaks? Who’d have thought it…

DWelbz19

Good coaches being demanding, control freaks? Who’d have thought it…
Exactly. This is the very top level we’re talking about here — I think some of our fans need to get the romanticism out of their heads and recognise that the modern game is mostly short term tenures of the elite level managers.

Red_toad

No. Conte would just be another temperamental short term solution. But maybe short term-ism should be our outlook. Least we'll get a few trophies along the way.

Also, I hate his stupid hair.
It's not really his as his fell out and he had to buy the replacement :lol:

Don't want him at United as he'll implode and be sacked in 2 seasons and we're back to square 1 again with short term managers and going from 1 style of play to another and having to buy a new squad to suit the manager.

Paxi

Exactly. This is the very top level we’re talking about here — I think some of our fans need to get the romanticism out of their heads and recognise that the modern game is mostly short term tenures of the elite level managers.
Agreed. Though I still have a glimmer of hope that Ole can conjure something up with this team.

SER19

Conte and Zidane would both have more definable styles than what we have. You might not enjoy their style but we would very rarely see what we've seen in our past 4 games, a disjointed, confusing mess

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is it actually? He’s a top manager who massively gets more out of players you wouldn’t expect — I can envisage him doing some mad shit like Elanga and Lingard being key wingbacks for him, but I’m not sure the squad comp suits his style at the moment.

We only have 3 CBs you can rely on (Maguire; Varane; Lindelof). I guess we’ve got the senior proven strikers he likes, but there’s too many lazy wide attackers we have (Rashford; Martial; Sancho; Greenwood etc.)

I think Zizou would fit the side better because we have so many options and he’s a great in game manager, but I’d love either really.
Zidane seems less obsessed with a particular setup, so I get where you are coming from. But while Conte clearly favor a 352 or 3412, he has also used 433 and 4312 during his first seasons at Juventus with good success when you consider the lack of quality in the team at the time. For me the key with Conte is to talk with him and be sure that he won't try to force a 352 when it's not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.