• Yes

Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Probably right, but then the question remains - what do we do for the next seven months?
Either Ole or, my favoured option, get someone in as caretaker with actual experience at a higher level - put them on a bonus for finishing top four - I think the likes of Sam Allardyce or Roy Hodgson would do a better job, and I’m not even joking. Just two potentially available short term names off the top of my head, plus it would be a fresh start for the players, who have probably lost respect for Ole now

I don't see how Greenwood becomes a complete misfit in a 343?
He doesn't. Every manager we could possibly get will find a way to fit Greenwood into the team, because they'll all immediately see he's a monster talent.

"Complete misfit", "write-off" ... feck me, people love hyperbole.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'm still struggling to figure out where so many people are getting "Conte loses the dressing room and has tantrums" from.

Infra-red

It always seems baffling that we can't "buy out" a manager of a "lesser" team like we would a player.
Clearly there's no chance of that with Poch, but what makes the other two so gettable in the summer, but impossible now?
I suppose Rodgers might be open to the idea (he has form of doing the very same at Celtic), but Ten Hag's Ajax are absolutely flying and I don't think he'd countenance abandoning them mid-season when they could be on course for something pretty special.

Infra-red

Either Ole or, my favoured option, get someone in as caretaker with actual experience at a higher level - put them on a bonus for finishing top four - I think the likes of Sam Allardyce or Roy Hodgson would do a better job, and I’m not even joking. Just two potentially available short term names off the top of my head, plus it would be a fresh start for the players, who have probably lost respect for Ole now
Fair enough - that's a reasonable perspective. The thought of Big Sam managing Ronaldo, Varane, Pogba and co does bring a smile to one's face, too, although I would imagine that any of Allardyce, Hodgson, Bruce etc would be met by howls of anguish from large swathes of the fanbase. An internal appointment like Fletcher/Phelan/Carrick might be mildly more palatable, I suspect.

Lukinho

I really think that conte is the right choice and hope we get him in. At first I didnt like the idea but I had time to think about it and now he is the manager I want.
Dont know why or what the reason is that he isnt already here.

RkkMan

It always seems baffling that we can't "buy out" a manager of a "lesser" team like we would a player.
Clearly there's no chance of that with Poch, but what makes the other two so gettable in the summer, but impossible now?
Ajax are currently in terrific form and Ten Hag being a very principled man won't ditch them mid season when they're about to have a special season in Europe and locally.
Rodgers apparently would snub us for the same reason he snubbed Newcastle, waiting for the City job in 2023 when Pep leaves

lsd

The Oracle
I'm still struggling to figure out where so many people are getting "Conte loses the dressing room and has tantrums" from.

It's so lazy. He is nothing like Mourinho personally or in style of play but somehow people here cannot separate the pair

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Reports suggest that the Board is split on Conte (and therefore are unlikely to appoint him unless forced in to it), but the consensus candidates (Rodgers, Ten Hag, Pochettino etc) are all unlikely to be available before next summer. There isn't a viable interim/caretaker option available. Given the reports regarding dressingroom turmoil, Ole appears to be a dead man walking, so it's a question of when he goes not if he goes.

Given all of the above, this will presumably play out in one of two ways: Either Ole turns it around and we get good results and performances from the next three games (in which case he remains in post and we look to replace him with one of our preferred targets in the summer), or, things are so bad in the next three games that it gives the Board the nudge they need to appoint Conte in the international break following the City game.

So that's it - either Conte gets appointed sometime w/c 8 November or we keep Ole for the remainder of the season and get Pochettino/A.N.Other in the summer. I genuinely don't know what the best option is.
Really would like to know what has Rodgers done to be considered above Conte ? Poch is also struggling with Messi so not sure how he will fare with Ronaldo. Ten Hag - don't even know if he is going to be just another Dutch manager or a Cruyf.

Hope they understand Conte is our best option and get him in for 18 months.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Are we really going to worry about a manager's record in the Champions League when we've not won the Premier League in almost a decade?
Yes. I want us to walk before we can run. Priority should be winning the league.

straydevil

100%. We need to win major trophies again. Even if Conte doesn't work out long term, just winning major trophies again will give the club and players confidence and understanding about what it takes. I fear the club right now has forgotten what it takes to win the premier league. Compare that to the last year we won the trophy, we had a very mixed team, but it was a team and a manager that really knew how to win. That is the most important thing.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It will be very revealing of the owners and the board if they pass on Conte, who with this group of players would win trophies, and settle for an unproven manager that just has the quality that he will be a quiet yes-man.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I originally said no, but am coming round to the idea. feck all the nicey nicey arm round the shoulder stuff, do as I want or stay on the bench. Someone with an actual system and ideas, rather than "more legs and passion"

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Old clip. He was having none of it :lol:
:lol:

I miss him.

My favourite season in the last decade was that 16/17 title winning season with him going bonkers on the sideline, and us going on a 13 match winning streak. What a ride that season was.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

I miss him.

My favourite season in the last decade was that 16/17 title winning season with him going bonkers on the sideline, and us going on a 13 match winning streak. What a ride that season was.
The Chelsea youtuber said it was his favourite season too.

How comes was it so fun? Was it the football or the manager or what?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I originally said no, but am coming round to the idea. feck all the nicey nicey arm round the shoulder stuff, do as I want or stay on the bench. Someone with an actual system and ideas, rather than "more legs and passion"
Also this is a big lie that Ole managed to spin us. When he first took us over he said we needed to run more than anyone, work harder than everyone but when you look at the stats — they’re abysmal — we’re bottom or nearly at the bottom for all of them.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Also this is a big lie that Ole managed to spin us. When he first took us over he said we needed to run more than anyone, work harder than everyone but when you look at the stats — they’re abysmal — we’re bottom or nearly at the bottom for all of them.
Its just a handy line for him to trot out, loosely translates to "Im out of ideas and have nothing fresh to offer"

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I miss him.

93 points was it? Its surprising it ended so quickly there with him. Wonder if that's on the club or him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The Chelsea youtuber said it was his favourite season too.

How comes was it so fun? Was it the football or the manager or what?
A combination of both. We were physically stronger than most teams. We had Hazard, Costa and Fabregas in superb form. Victor Moses was such a random revelation as a marauding RWB. Costa triggering the entire league. That aforementioned 13 match winning streak. The previous season being such a monumental disaster, being the laughing stock of the entire league etc probably helped.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
93 points was it? Its surprising it ended so quickly there with him. Wonder if that's on the club or him.
Yeah, 30 wins. I think it was both to be honest. We had one of the most wasteful transfer windows in 2017. Spent about £230m on about 7 players, with only Rudiger being of any kind of use - Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Batchuayi, Zappacosta, Morata, Emerson. He was already pissed at the board going into the second season, and then he very publicly fell out with Costa.

The whole thing ended up with Conte taking Chelsea to court over the £9m severance package.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah, 30 wins. I think it was both to be honest. We had one of the most wasteful transfer windows in 2017. Spent about £230m on about 7 players, with only Rudiger being of any kind of use - Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Batchuayi, Zappacosta, Morata, Emerson. He was already pissed at the board going into the second season, and then he very publicly fell out with Costa.

The whole thing ended up with Conte taking Chelsea to court over the £9m severance package.
My only worry with him is that he'll have a shit summer like that one and lose the plot. He's a brilliant manager but a window like that could set us back big time. His coaching is excellent though

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
My only worry with him is that he'll have a shit summer like that one and lose the plot. He's a brilliant manager but a window like that could set us back big time. His coaching is excellent though
Those were not his picks for signings. It is one of the reasons he had a falling out with Chelsea. Instead of getting the few quality players he wanted and keeping players he wanted, the board went for quantity,

Sviken

I think he was pissed at Roman because those are not the players he wanted, not because of the spending itself like Mourinho. I don't know how oour board is now because Ole is a wet flannel and wouldn't want to rock the boat, but it was pretty hands-off with Moyes and LVG, we just couldn't get the targets their desired. And they were also shit.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Those were not his picks for signings. It is one of the reasons he had a falling out with Chelsea. Instead of getting the few quality players he wanted and keeping players he wanted, the board went for quantity,
Ah okay. Silly move, I was just thinking how 3 great players is more sensible than 6 average ones.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He very clearly wanted different players. He asked for, among others, Lukaku, VVD or Koulibaly and Alex Sandro. What he got was the above. But yeah, subsequent managers after found no use for any of those players either, so it wasn't just Conte being irrational, and Morata aside, 4 year later, we have not managed sell any of them on because, well who wants to buy average players on huge wages.

Coops73

Could it be that the board are just finalising the Conte deal? Who he’s bringing with him, who he’ll want in January etc and that’s why Ole is still in a job? Could the delay be through negotiations?

I’m not personally sure if Conte is the right fit for United, I do get Mourinho vibes with him in terms of temperament and it seems clear the Glazers et al are probably a bit cautious about that but hanging on to Ole just seems almost cruel at this point.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
All we need a right wing back who can pass (Livramento /Lamptey /Celik/Trippier)
The team is ready made for him. He won't tell a midfielder is also needed to make us work.

Just sign him.

Rajma

Can we just please have him here asap, and him wanting reassurances from the club that marketable players won’t be forced on him is exactly what serious manager should be saying. Ronaldo, Pogba, Shaw, or McT doesn’t matter if he sees someone slacking on the pitch there won’t be no mercy. You prefer a yes man again that would be happy to be part of the Dysneyland? Oh, and the guy is obsessed with patterns so he couldn’t be further away from Jose in that respect.

Yik

Can we just please have him here asap, and him wanting reassurances from the club that marketable players won’t be forced on him is exactly what serious manager should be saying. Ronaldo, Pogba, Shaw, or McT doesn’t matter if he sees someone slacking on the pitch there won’t be no mercy. You prefer a yes man again that would be happy to be part of the Dysneyland? Oh, and the guy is obsessed with patterns so he couldn’t be further away from Jose in that respect.

Exactly. The fact that he's supposed to have said that is definitely what we need at the moment. I have no doubt he can make Cristiano Ronaldo work within the system but equally he won't be scared of dropping him like Ole is. I also believe that any manager worth their salt would have pushed back on signing him out of the blue the way we did but thats water under the bridge now. If he alienates Ronaldo and makes him leave in the summer thats absolutely fine. I also think he'll be tough on Mason which might hinder his progress a little but its what he needs at this stage and he's still so young its a risk worth taking for the team. Regarding Pogba, he's the coach who made Pogba a £100m player so I'm sure he can work with him again within this team. At the end of the season there will be some who lose out but it should be worth it imo.

That video should be shown to all board members because they need to understand that a) what Conte instils is literally the exact thing we've been almost completely devoid of this season and b) he isn't Mourinho 2.0 tactically at least.

Its a no-brainer for me. We're lucky he's just biding his time atm,

Teja

I think you can do it with Ten Hag (if he agrees) but it'll massively piss off Ajax. It seems like a gentlemen's rule amongst clubs that they don't poach each others' managers in the middle of the season.

Effectively you'd have to pay out the entire contract (like any contract violation) but that's "only" 20-25M.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
You can always sack conte if things not worked out. But if worked he will be your long term manager and he will win with in next season or created a solid platform to win.

Pep and Klopp will move away from their clubs. Conte don't need to move with one of best clubs with best resources and won't need to complain either.

Bondi77

Who would want this cheating cont at our club??
What has happened to standards these days.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Ah okay. Silly move, I was just thinking how 3 great players is more sensible than 6 average ones.
Some of Conte's frustration with our board seemed unfair to be honest - we offered €80m for Alex Sandro which was a massive fee obviously only for Juve to turn it down as they'd already lost Bonucci and Alves from their back line. We seemingly lost out on Lukaku due to Raiola's machinations, couldn't turn VVD's head from Liverpool that summer, and were never going to pay the ridiculous fee quoted for Koulibaly from AdL.

My feelings on that disastrous summer was that the club didn't have enough time to properly identify and negotiate for alternatives because Conte was fixated on the specific players he wanted - this is a potential concern as he had similar demands at Inter (e.g. Lukaku & Hakimi). Conte is definitely a stubborn person to work with to say the least, but there's no denying his quality. If United are willing to continue to pay over the odds for specific players (e.g. Maguire, Sanchez, Pogba), then I don't think Conte would rock the boat overmuch.

Who would want this cheating cont at our club??
What has happened to standards these days.
He was completely acquitted of all charges, if you're referring to the Siena accusations:
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...e-acquitted-fraud-charges-chelsea-italy-siena

Sviken

Some of Conte's frustration with our board seemed unfair to be honest - we offered €80m for Alex Sandro which was a massive fee obviously only for Juve to turn it down as they'd already lost Bonucci and Alves from their back line. We seemingly lost out on Lukaku due to Raiola's machinations, couldn't turn VVD's head from Liverpool that summer, and were never going to pay the ridiculous fee quoted for Koulibaly from AdL.

My feelings on that disastrous summer was that the club didn't have enough time to properly identify and negotiate for alternatives because Conte was fixated on the specific players he wanted - this is a potential concern as he had similar demands at Inter (e.g. Lukaku & Hakimi). Conte is definitely a stubborn person to work with to say the least, but there's no denying his quality. If United are willing to continue to pay over the odds for specific players (e.g. Maguire, Sanchez, Pogba), then I don't think Conte would rock the boat overmuch.

He was completely acquitted of all charges, if you're referring to the Siena accusations:
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...e-acquitted-fraud-charges-chelsea-italy-siena
Well, if we're gonna overpay, at least with Conte we'll overpay for the right players. He seems to know what he is doing when it comes to transfers.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Well, if we're gonna overpay, at least with Conte we'll overpay for the right players. He seems to know what he is doing when it comes to transfers.
I think that's the right perspective. Chelsea during his tenure were focused on sustainability, and weren't keen on overspending due to the year with no Europe. Conte had also started ruffling feathers via the whole Costa situation, and presumably the board realised his tenure was unlikely to be a long one so overpaying for his targets might not be wise. Unfortunately for Chelsea turns out Conte is quite good at identifying potential targets! His issue though is that once he's done so he couldn't care less how feasible signing them might be.

Everyoneout

Pep on Conte : "Tactically he is a master. He's superb, maybe he's the best. He's an excellent manager. I learn a lot when I see his teams"

Can you imagine the players giving a performance like at the weekend with him on touchline?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Really? I’m thinking his downfall at Chelsea was a shite window after winning the league. Morata, Zappacosta, Drinkwater

Sviken

I think that's the right perspective. Chelsea during his tenure were focused on sustainability, and weren't keen on overspending due to the year with no Europe. Conte had also started ruffling feathers via the whole Costa situation, and presumably the board realised his tenure was unlikely to be a long one so overpaying for his targets might not be wise. Unfortunately for Chelsea turns out Conte is quite good at identifying potential targets! His issue though is that once he's done so he couldn't care less how feasible signing them might be.
But even if he implodes with the board, which is likely to be fair given how badly we are run, Conte still leaves his teams in a very decent shape. You finished 3rd next season with Sarri, Juventus continued their winning ways and Inter are competing for the title right now. I'd rather the club not overpay on players anymore as that is a losing strategy, but at least I'm sure that with Conte we won't buy a 80 million slabhead, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.