• Yes

Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dinostar77

We should come back to this question in 2023 when it will be ten years since Utds last league title and see if opinions have changed.

I'd take Conte in a heartbeat, he'd give woodward and the board heartattacks.

wolvored

If its a straight him or Ole then yes.
If it was him or (enter name here) then there are lots of better managers that would suit Utd than Conte.

Wilt

Yes.

He only seems to stick around for a couple of years and It would be a bumpy ride, but I’m sure Utd would win one or two trophies under his management.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Yes.

He only seems to stick around for a couple of years and It would be a bumpy ride, but I’m sure Utd would win one or two trophies under his management.
Because that outlook worked so well for us last time?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He works best with players that work harder than what they have in quality, once he inevitably leaves in a few years, our squad would be in a worse state than post-Van Gaal with players like Schneiderlin, Young and Fellaini.

Manny

Grammar Police
Yes.

Where have I heard that before...

sparx99

My big problem with signing Conte is that he has typically played 3-5-2. It would yet again be another massive u-turn resulting in a player like Bruno having no obvious role in the side while we probably wouldn't invest enough to get the squad how he wants it in one summer.

What would his team be hypothetically?

De Gea/Henderson

Lindelof/Bailly
Maguire/Tuanzebe
Shaw/Jones

AWB/Dalot
Telles/Williams

McTominay/Pogba
Fred/Matic
Bruno/Van De Beek

Cavani/Greenwood
Rashford/Martial

If we went that route you would want to see at least an attacking RWB, one if not two CB's so that Shaw can play LWB and maybe another CM.

So summer transfers under Conte would be

RWB - Trippier
CB - Varane
CB - Torres/Kounde
CM - Presumably more box-to-box as you have the extra defenders. Maybe even Barella from Inter or Saul Niguez.

whereas under Ole we want something like

RB - Trippier
CB - Varane
CDM - Rice
RW - Sancho

Essentially means no Sancho and an extra CB.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
81 points and two trophies before the inevitable/predictable self combustion .....then yes.
Left with a squad bloated with shit and with the morale of a turkey in a Bernard Mathews factory, no ta.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I like Conte but its one of those cases where I prefer to admire him afar.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Feel free to bookmark this, but next Christmas, I think we will be closer to 10th than 2nd. I think our away form and our coming from behind results will revert to the mean and that means fewer points. I don't think we have an identity or a game plan whereas Conte does and gets teams winning. I want a PL. I want it in the next 36 months. I just don't think we will get there with Ole.

justsomebloke

I like him in a lot of ways, but not at this point in time. Because I believe there is no reason to sack the Manager we already have. If Ole hits his ceiling after having built the squad to a point where we're a contender and after a reasonable amount of opportunity to convert that to titles without succeeding, then he might be the sort of replacement you'd consider. But he's not exactly a team builder for the long term, is he.

justsomebloke

81 points and two trophies before the inevitable/predictable self combustion .....then yes.
As if an 81 point season, a CC and a EL is remotely worth leaving the team in a sorry state and the club in crisis after 2 1/2 seasons.

The primary minimum goal for United is to be a top club, year in, year out. To be that, you have to think long term. Any manager who moves us away from that target is a failure, and it doesn't mean squat how many Carabao Cups he won.

Wilt

As if an 81 point season, a CC and a EL is remotely worth leaving the team in a sorry state and the club in crisis after 2 1/2 seasons.

The primary minimum goal for United is to be a top club, year in, year out. To be that, you have to think long term. Any manager who moves us away from that target is a failure, and it doesn't mean squat how many Carabao Cups he won.
He took over a team that was already in a sorry state.

We all knew it would never end well, however, 2nd place and a couple of trophies* ....and if the board had backed him like he wanted he’d have probably won more.

*personally gave me something to smile about

spiriticon

He won the league but bankrupted his club and then left.

I prefer to admire his passion from afar.

BULB

I'm usually not a fan of bringing in a manager for a short period of time, but he'd be ideal on a two year deal.

Who knows, maybe we can get Poch end of next season and pay Ole out his ridiculous new contract.

Doink the Clown or Hulk Hogan are looking better options than Ole at the moment.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’d have like him instead of Mourinho exactly in that era.

I feel like we are focusing on a different type or style of players compared to what Conte tends to use or bring - it would be a questionable decision to do so after our squad is just starting to get better IMO

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I'm not wild about journeymen guns for hire grinding out spiritless results. I would rather have Ole even though he's a bit rubbish tactically.

What I really want is a Klopp. Or even a Poch.

justsomebloke

I'm usually not a fan of bringing in a manager for a short period of time, but he'd be ideal on a two year deal.

Who knows, maybe we can get Poch end of next season and pay Ole out his ridiculous new contract.

Doink the Clown or Hulk Hogan are looking better options than Ole at the moment.
Or maybe we should just leave all of that to someone with a basic grip on the real world.

RoyH1

He's ruthless and a diva as well. I don't know how well that would mesh with the Glazer's style. Conte is not afraid to call out ownership when they don't give him what he wants (maybe that's a good thing in our case though).
The media would love the entertainment value of him though.

Andy_Cole

WUM

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
No, especially for the reasons spurs rejected him. He wants a title winning team without the effort of building one. Doesn't want to rely on youth or look to the youth setup for potential players. 1-2 season manager, once he wins the league he's gone and we're back to 2014 again having to rebuild

dinostar77

Do you want to win the PL title? Yes then hire Conte.

Do you want a manager who will call out the board and the owners in public? Yes then hire Conte.

Do you want these rich primma donnas to have to drip in blood sweat and tears on the training ground after which they cry on the way home in thier £200,000 ferraris? Yes then hire Conte.

Fergie was a winner, Conte is a winner. Utd need a winner as manager. End of.

justsomebloke

Hahaha. Sometimes Ole frustrates me but...

Have we learned nothing from Moyes, LVG, Jose? Such short memories of the dross we saw week in week out under these guys.

Omg. Someone new is available. Lets bring them in and let them change everything.

True Ole screwed up with the Greenwood substitution but the lack of options off the bench is only something that can be addressed in multiple windows. I fully expect 2 of the 3 positions of CB, CDM and RW to be significantly improved this summer.
Agree with the general sentiment, but we now know that Ole didn't screw up with the Greenwood substitution. Which should serve as a reminder to remember that there are often factors playing into those decisions that are not immediately apparent.

Idxomer

No, especially for the reasons spurs rejected him. He wants a title winning team without the effort of building one. Doesn't want to rely on youth or look to the youth setup for potential players. 1-2 season manager, once he wins the league he's gone and we're back to 2014 again having to rebuild
So far he's the one who has rejected Spurs. He is a manager who wants to buy high-caliber players who fit into his system and uses young players if they're good enough.

We have a manager who likes to buy expensive players who don't necessarily fit into his "system" and only plays young players if they're good enough.

This is our 3rd "rebuild" since Fergie retired with nothing to show for, I would take Conte because he would make us title challengers in no time. All teams do need to rebuild and refresh every couple of years anyway.

SecondFig

100%. Plus, it's a hell of a lot easier to win Serie A when Juve have appointed Pirlo than it would be to win the Premier League against City, Liverpool and Chelsea next year. I don't see Conte as any kind of guarantee that we'd win the league next year - but I can guarantee that it would see us make a bunch of short-term signings of ageing players that would trash our squad in the medium to long term.

I don't want him anywhere near the club - I'm done with "short term solutions" - Mourinho was supposed to guarantee success, and while the Europa League was nice it didn't outweigh the appalling football on the pitch or the toxic atmosphere off it. LvG was supposed to guarantee success and again, the football on the pitch was dire, and an FA cup was not enough to make up for it.

I'm not some kind of Ole fanboy - I'd be willing to see him replaced by a really good alternative - Conte is not that manager

justsomebloke

So far he's the one who has rejected Spurs. He is a manager who wants to buy high-caliber players who fit into his system and uses young players if they're good enough.

We have a manager who likes to buy expensive players who don't necessarily fit into his "system" and only plays young players if they're good enough.

This is our 3rd "rebuild" since Fergie retired with nothing to show for, I would take Conte because he would make us title challengers in no time. All teams do need to rebuild and refresh every couple of years anyway.
No it's not, it's our first rebuild since Fergie retired. That's exactly the point.

What separates a rebuild from just buying a few players to strengthen the team is that you see it as something that will take some time, where the main success criterion is where you are at the end of it, and where in the mean time you are prepared to be patient and not overly focused on the results underway.

That did not happen under any manager between SAF and OGS. Moyes was expected to Win Now and didn't, so he was fired within a year. Van Gaal was expected to spend big money to restore normality (ie, Win Now), but it took too long, so he was fired. Mourinho was brought in to Win Now and instead crashed the club into the ground, so he was fired.

And the lesson you'd take from that is that we should call quits on the rebuild and bring in someone new to Win Now?

Last edited:

dinostar77

No it's not, it's our first rebuild since Fergie retired. That's exactly the point.

What separates a rebuild from just buying a few players to strengthen the team is that you see it as something that will take some time, where the main success criterion is where you are at the end of it, and where in the mean time you are prepared to be patient and not overly focused on the results underway.

That did not happen under any manager between SAF and OGS. Moyes was expected to Win Now and didn't, so he was fired within a year. Van Gaal was expected to spend big money to restore normality (ie, Win Now), but it took too long, so he was fired. Mourinho was brought in to Win Now and instead crashed the club into the ground, so he was fired.

And the lesson you'd take from that is that we should call quits on the rebuild and bring in someone new to Win Now?
What are you on about mate? We've gone through rebuilds with LVG and Mourinho, none of them were totoally completed as they were sacked. Thats why Ole has inherited a mess of a squad.

justsomebloke

What are you on about mate? We've gone through rebuilds with LVG and Mourinho, none of them were totoally completed as they were sacked. Thats why Ole has inherited a mess of a squad.
What I'm going on about is that those weren't rebuilds. It's not a rebuild just because you're buying players and not winning. A rebuild is when you aim for things bigger than they achieved, accept that takes time and implement a long term plan.

tomaldinho1

:lol: Mate we’ve been rebuilding for going on 7 years, what are you on about?

Red Star One

If we want to be even challenging for a league we need improvement in certain areas. No DM or CB would make such an instant quality improvement over our game as would replacing the manager with someone who actually knows how to win the trophies. If you compare us to other top4 teams, our XIs can be similar level but the managerial difference strikes heavily. So yeah, I’m frustrated enough by not winning / not even having balls to say we’re here to win it that I’d take Conte in a heartbeat.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
He’d instantaneously make you competitive with Man City.

It would be a maximum 2-3 season stay before he fell out with the glazers but he’s guaranteed to make a fist of properly pushing city for the league.

You wouldn’t put it past him to genuinely nick it either if city are going through a transitional season or two where they’ve got rid of Sterling, Mahrez, Fernandinho, Bernardo silva, rodri etc to fund purchases for Kane and grealish as they seem to be planning to do.

As it is you’re hoping that giving ole time and resources allows him to develop into a guardiola or klopp or Ferguson which in my opinion is far less likely to happen than a very successful if brief conte stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.