Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I dont know. Serie A normally loans younger players out to get experience. Chelsea used to loan them out to get experience so I dont know.

He might even turn the job down if offered. He wants to win multiple CL trophies and be considered the best manager in the world. We might not be ambitious enough for him. Though I think for a 2-3 year appointment he might be the right call for now.
We have an incredible squad and spend the second most on the planet. Like feck is he turning it down.

Chelskiing

Supports
Chelsea
as a chelsea fan i'm hoping you don't appoint conte because he'll be 1000 times better than Ole

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Those who have done detailed study of him, has he ever played with a formation not involving 3 at the back?
Yeah, sure he has.

He's even on record saying that he doesn't actually prefer 3 at the back. But in recent years he's often ended up with it - because it has suited his available personnel better (or so he has claimed).

VanDeBank

Ma’am
This is the same conte who signed Sanchez, Young and Darnian off us right? You want him?
He won the Serie A in a landslide with those players. It's a Serie A team it's not like they have unlimited funds to sign a 100m midfielder, an 80m centreback and a 40m + 80m bench warmer

L1nk

Would gladly take him UNTIL THE END OF THE SEASON, then evaluate the situation after that, it might be possible that during the end of the season the likes of Ten Hag, or even Pochettino, who knows who else, will become available for us to potentially consider. I would not say giving Conte a 2-3 year deal right now would be a good thing, personally.

dinostar77

This is the same conte who signed Sanchez, Young and Darnian off us right? You want him?
We have murtough and fletcher helping to steer the recruitment now for medium and long term. So there wouldnt be any silly transfers. Utd are pass that stage now. Besides other than a midfielder or two the squad is good enough to challenge. Our firepower is ridiculous it's just that ole and co are good enough to maximise its potential.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I dont want continuity for the sake of it either, just not completely random changes in style based on whoever is available.

Ole isnt attacking, but atleast he is no Mourinho. I dont want to go from Ole's football to Conte's. I'd rather have Zidane.

Also goals scored =/= good football. Same argument was made for Mourinho, not buying it.
Conte's teams play good, competent football and there isn't that much of a difference with Zidane approach, they are both pragmatic but it's good Football. They don't play negatively like Mourinho would and they don't undercoach their teams like Ole would. And none of these managers are attacking managers.

The Hilton

I really really hope I'm wrong, but I think Conte will be a disaster for us, on a similar scale to Mourinho.

We may have some short term success, some second tier trophies or perhaps even a miraculous league win (although Conte's record in Europe is pretty poor, so not expecting that), but we could easily be in a position a couple of years down the line where we need to re-hire Ole to put out fires all over again.

I'd much rather we looked at a less combustible manager like Zidane, or even one of the up and coming ones such as Ten Hag.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Conte is a top top manager but I'm a tad skeptical of him here. He's basically the Mourinho we thought we were getting. Which could be excellent but it'll also require a lot of adjustment. I hope the development of young attackers like Greenwood and Sancho doesn't suffer and ideally I'd want to see a more exciting coach at United.

I am certainly not anti Italian but Conte is a bad fit for us

A- He's as toxic as Mou is
B- Conte utilize a 3-5-2/5-3-2 system which would lead to yet another radical overhaul of our team.
C- Conte simply can't settle down.

We need a manager whose philosophy fits the current side. That means a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 formation. Zidane and Ten Hag are better options then Conte.
Yeah I'd prefer one of these coaches like play more free flowing attacking football. But if we go for Conte can only hope it works out well.

ZupZup

Absolutely do not want Conte at this club.

I actually feel like a few weeks ago, most would have agreed… but now it’s a case of wanting Ole gone so will accept anything. I think he’s a poor fit and it would be a knee jerk decision which is what we should be avoiding right now. Well run clubs don’t act like that.

dinostar77

Mate, I was clearly asking.
I don't watch a lot of Prem outside of United.Saw quite a bit of Inter last season and most of my impressions of Conte are from that side.
Wasnt a dig at you buddy at all. Just alot of lazy posts by other people. But your right some folk may not have seen his Juventus team.

amolbhatia50k

I really really hope I'm wrong, but I think Conte will be a disaster for us, on a similar scale to Mourinho.

We may have some short term success, some second tier trophies or perhaps even a miraculous league win (although Conte's record in Europe is pretty poor, so not expecting that), but we could easily be in a position a couple of years down the line where we need to re-hire Ole to put out fires all over again.

I'd much rather we looked at a less combustible manager like Zidane, or even one of the up and coming ones such as Ten Hag.
If we win the league Conte will be an enormous success.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Conte is a top top manager but I'm a tad skeptical of him here. He's basically the Mourinho we thought we were getting. Which could be excellent but it'll also require a lot of adjustment. I hope the development of young attackers like Greenwood and Sancho doesn't suffer and ideally I'd want to see a more exciting coach at United.

Yeah I'd prefer one of these coaches like play more free flowing attacking football. But if we go for Conte can only hope it works out well.
Would you mind if these players had the same development than the likes of Griezmann, Lemar, Carrasco, Joao Felix, Correa or Diego Costa?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
His ideal formation - when he arrived at Chelsea - was (again, according to himself) actually a variation on the 4-2-4 theme...make of that what you will.

That's what Ole is - erm - accused of playing now (a horribly unbalanced version of it).

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The difference between Mourinho and Conte is that Conte doesn’t leave clubs in a mess. He won trophies with Chelsea and Inter in his final seasons and left both squads in decent shape.

There is absolutely no doubt that he’ll fall out with our board, though. So would Klopp and Guardiola.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

"Conte is a short term fix."

Juve don't win the title in nearly a decade and finish 7th. They hire Conte and he wins 3 titles in a row, he leaves, they win 6 more in a row then they are stopped by....Antonio Conte at Inter Milan.

"Conte's teams are defensive"

His Inter team last season scored 89 goals in the league, in Europe's top 5 leagues only Bayern scored more. His Chelsea team scored more goals than any season we have since SAF retired with 85.

He's a world class manager. Get him in.
Looking at your user name you might be a bit biased - is that possible?

FatTails

We are a top heavy squad, with amazing players like Ronaldo, Cavani, Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood etc. Playing a 3-5-2 would be a criminal move. Also a 3-4-3 would mean Bruno is out.

If Conte comes here, I think he would play a 4-3-3 which he did use with Chelsea at times.
Not really. See Eriksen at Inter. Bruno is well capable of playing deeper and he does often for Portugal. Why we insist on sticking him so close to the striker is baffling to me when we are clearly being overrun in midfield.

zenith

No conte please, it will be a disaster of negative, boring, dull football.

Whatever might be thought of ole more but he's got the squad to a very good place and for the first time in years I enjoyed some of thy football the team was playing. Conte would destroy all that good work and take us back by years.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If you want a trophy then he’s probably the best available manager right now to get you one.

What would worry me about him is that he might get rid of some fan favourites and he doesn’t give a feck if he destroys relationships if he gets results.

ConteIsLife

RodgersIsLife was taken
Only Bayern Munich scored more league goals than Inter Milan last season in Europe's top 5 leagues.

Suv666

We haven't won the league in a decade. A league title in the next 2-3 years would be nothing short of a massive success.

amolbhatia50k

Not if he leaves behind a smoking crater that takes years to recover from, Mourinho style.
We wouldn't take years to recover from Mourinho if we had a really good manager to replace him with. A team that finished 2nd doesn't need that much recovering from. Conte took over from Mourinhos Chelsea meltdown just fine. It'd what top managers do.

And yes, if a managers delivers our first title in nearly a decade. They can set the OT grass on fire and nobody will care. We haven't won a trophy in 4 years FFS

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
"Conte is a short term fix."

Juve don't win the title in nearly a decade and finish 7th. They hire Conte and he wins 3 titles in a row, he leaves, they win 6 more in a row then they are stopped by....Antonio Conte at Inter Milan.

"Conte's teams are defensive"

His Inter team last season scored 89 goals in the league, in Europe's top 5 leagues only Bayern scored more. His Chelsea team scored more goals than any season we have since SAF retired with 85.

He's a world class manager. Get him in.
Your name checks out

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I really have to disagree with people that view Conte's style as negative. Is Chelsea under Tuchel negative? Yes it's not Dutch/Barca school or German pressing one, but it's very different from Mourinho and still a decent watch.

RepardReece

Personally would prefer Zidane or Ten Hag, but wouldn't be opposed to him. He's a coach that could turn our results around fast.

Mcking

Personally think going for another manager now other than Antonio Conte would show how far standards has fallen at the club. He is the best available, make him an offer he will not refuse.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I dont think we can play Bruno and Pogba together. A 3-5-2 is not good for our forwards(not counting Bruno and Pogba, we still have 5 top forwards), and a 3-4-3 is bad news for Bruno. Any 3 in the back is a bad fit because we dont have any wingbacks. Please dont say Telles and Dalot.

A 4-3-3 is the best fit for our squad.

------------------------------DM/Matic
--------------------Fred/VdB---Bruno/Pogba
-Cavani/Lingard--Ronaldo/Mason--Rashford/Sancho
The only way I see Bruno and Pogba playing together is a 3-5-2 tbh.
This is how I see our options with Conte:

GK
RCB CB LCB
RWB RCM LCM LWB
CAM (or RW)
RCF LCF
Or push the CAM up and make it a front 3 with wingers in half spaces. It's a mix of what he did with Chelsea and Inter. Plugging our players in:

GK - De Gea/Henderson
RCB - Lindelof
CB - Varane
LCB - Maguire
RWB - Wan Bissaka/Dalot
RCM - Pogba/Van de Beek/McTominay
LCM - Matic/Fred
CAM/RW - Bruno/Sancho/Greenwood/Li gard
LF/LW - Rashford/Ronaldo/Martial
ST - Ronaldo/Cavani/Greenwood

It has balance. You have more defensive cover behind Pogba meaning you can afford to play Pogba in a midfield 2. We have probably a main front 3 of Bruno, Ronaldo and Rashford with Sancho, Cavani and Greenwood being the next 3.
Pretty much this:
De Gea
Lindelof Varane Maguire
Wan Bissaka Pogba Fred Shaw
Bruno
Ronaldo Rashford
Cavani, Greenwood, Sancho, Matic, McTominay all providing extra security. Or even Matic with Fred and Pogba competing with Bruno. Conte would have the balls to make these calls and be uncompromising in his views over who can play where - and that's what we need.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Can someone tell me how he handles superstar egos? We have too many big name attackers, how would he manage them? Cause surely not all of them would start.

I can see him making someone like Lingard a RWB in his system. We do have enough CBs to play a back 3 if needed.

Also Ronaldo, he won't accept getting benched or being brought on as a sub for the majority of the games. And his presense (and commercial impact) will make the board hesistant on doing that. So Conte of any manager will have to deal with it.
Conte is one of the few managers we could bring in who has the balls and track record of success to sit Ronaldo or any other big names if he thought it was best for the club. I don't see him being intimidated by anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.