• Yes

Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flexdegea

Slight cross purposes, agree it’s important …Utd should always be seen competing in the CL for all kinds of reasons.

I agree with ya, but reality is we haven't all these years with the investiment. So in that respect Ole has done good, this season not so good :lol:

sammyk123

Conte is a short-term solution, but that could work to our advantage. There aren't many great options out there at the moment, but Ole needs to go regardless.

If Conte only ends up staying for 18 months or so, he'd still pretty much guarantee an upswing in results and performances. It's also likely that he'd win silverware during that time as well. Unlike Jose, Conte doesn't leave clubs in a toxic mess because he resigns before it comes to that. Look at Juve, Chelsea, Inter, post-Conte for example. He left before things went downhill, once it was clear that it wasn't going to work, and they all continued to be successful under new management.

We're going to need to rebuild at some point soon with Pogba, Martial, Ronaldo, Cavani, Mata, Matic all very likely to be leaving within the next few seasons regardless. Let's bring in Conte to get the most out of these players and if he leaves at the end of next season with a trophy or two then so be it.

There are many up and coming managers who could be available then that are better for the long-term.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
In a lot of ways, I'm pleased that they're thinking about this more deeply than the Moyes/LvG/Jose appointments. In each of those cases, United simply went for the biggest name available at the time, rather than the best match to the pre-existing squad structure.

Not that I necessarily agree. I think Conte would do well here. But I've got no problem with the board considering all the pros and cons.

Flytan

We are back to 'hire anyone just do it today'
Yes, that's what happens when the manager and board are so clueless that he has to be sacked in October. We're properly fecked. Hire somebody with some respect in the footballing world and if it goes to shit reassess in the summer.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The point in a 3-at-the-back formation is, that you can save yourself the DM. Makes no sense to put Matic in front of three CBs. If we wanted to do that, we wouldn't have to go 3-4-3 for it.
People are wildly overrating Matic here. His lack of mobility is the reason he's not involved and rarely culpable for defensive mistakes. He was in complete no man's land when the Caf was on VDB's back for not picking him up his man when Telles got beat vs West Ham. Matic is finished at this level.

Same with McTominay always hiding and Fred picking up the blame when he has to do everything by himself.

ConteIsLife

RodgersIsLife was taken
The 1 good argument against Conte is his performance in the CL hasn't been good, everything else the arguments against him just don't hold up.

He leaves teams in a mess when he leaves: Juve won the title for 6 years after he left after not having won it for nearly a decade before he came, Inter Milan are in a top 4 race/title race after having sold their best 2 players and are better off than before he came and Chelsea's 2 best players in the Champions League last season were Rudiger and Kante who were both Conte signings.

He falls out with the owners: At Chelsea he wanted VVD and Lukaku and got just Morata after having won the league so I think he was absolutely correct here and he still won the FA cup and at Inter Milan he was told thank you for winning our first title in 10 years but I'm sorry we have to sell your best players and we can't invest due to our financials. I struggle to think of a top manager who wouldn't get upset by this.

He plays defensive football: His teams score a bucketload of goals, last season only Bayern were higher in league goals in the top 5 leagues than Inter and at Chelsea his title winning team scored 85 goals which we've not come close to since SAF retired. Just because he often plays 3 at the back does not mean his football is boring, ask any Chelsea fan if they were boring under Conte.

He's just another LVG/Jose: He's a manager in his absolute prime which LVG and Jose were not when they came here. It's not even a comparison.

Last edited:

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
  • Ronaldo - 36
  • Cavani - 34
  • De Gea - 30
  • Maguire - 28
  • Fred - 28
  • Pogba - 28
  • Varane - 28
  • Bruno - 27
The exact thing we need is a manager to focus on the immediate future and figure out how to get this team competing at the top (and winning). We aren't rebuilding anymore. We are at a win now period, and if you aren't fighting for the top during that window, you find a manager who will.
Realistically Most of the team is under 30, and those who arn’t may not be here next season. I Cavani is gone, I think it’s hit and miss whether Ronaldo stays on.
On the flip side a lot of your young players really need some one to come in and work with them for a season or so bringing attacking structure and decision making to our play.
Add to that the league as gone this season already. So we arn’t looking for a short term manager.
We are probably looking for a manager who can get this team to peak in a couple of seasons.

Mainoldo

Remember when they thought Moyes was a better option than Mourinho.

They’ll f this new appointment up. Southgate is getting it :lol:

G Nev will be telling us he’s happy with the ‘culture’ we have decided to go with. Then tell us about Boris.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
VDB will be salivating at that video. Even he can put in effort like that.
What kind of stupid comment is this? When has van de Beek ever looked lazy.

I swear, some of you need to visit Specsavers on a weekly basis.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
If it’s a question between Conte and Pochettino which is what seems to be suggested now? I lean very much towards Conte. Pochettino has not shown any significant ability to go head to head with the likes of Pep and Klopp IMO, and his football isn’t good enough to make up for that.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Conte is fecking great manager and will elevate the team.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I am glad that Chelsea is decisive and know exactly who they want and act fast. It seemed like Tuchel happened in a matter of hours. If he doesn't produce, go pick another manager. This waffling back and forth is crazy.

el3mel

We got battered 5-0 to Liverpool at home and it's only under threat? And we lost by 4 to Leicester the game before.

The club is hopeless. We will wait till mid December when we are out of even top 4 race then sack him.

Can't take a single decisive decision. How they are hesitant to sack Ole its as if they are thinking about sacking Fergie. He's a nothing manager in the grand scheme of things. He achieved nothing in 3 years. Why the feck are we that hesitant to take the correct decision?

Hopeless.

the_cliff

PSG to end up with Conte we end up with Poch cos you know exciting attacking football, PSG win the UCL we win feck all and Poch is gone in 3 years. You can see it happening. Culture, United DNA, Promoting the youth and all that Malarkey.

AgentSmith

My knowledge of Conte’s tactics are limited to his time at Chelsea and (to a much lesser extent) his recent success at Inter with both teams utilising a 3 at the back system, to great effect. Perhaps not in Europe but definitely domestically.

Has he always rolled with the 3 CBs approach or has he enjoyed success with other system? I can see the pros and cons to our team adopting that formation but would lean more to the negative side, given our abundance of attacking options and AWB’s limitations on the ball. It might provide a workable solution to the Pogba and Bruno conundrum however.

As a hypothetical, and ignoring any injuries, how do people envision Conte would set us up against Spurs on the weekend if he was dropped into the driving seat today?

Highfather_24

The 1 good argument against Conte is his performance in the CL hasn't been good, everything else the arguments against him just don't hold up.
I have 2 other ones :

- Whether he can defeat with the likes of Guardiola, Klopp and Tuchel at their peak, when most of his other League wins have not come under heavy competition. But then again, I cant think of anyone who has who we can hire.

- That his 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 is not suited to our top heavy squad, and will sacrifice either Bruno or Sancho/Greenwood.

Last edited:

Raw

We got battered 5-0 to Liverpool at home and it's only under threat? And we lost by 4 to Leicester the game before.

The club is hopeless. We will wait till mid December when we are out of even top 4 race then sack him.

Can't take a single decisive decision. How they are hesitant to sack Ole its as if they are thinking about sacking Fergie. He's a nothing manager in the grand scheme of things. He achieved nothing in 3 years. Why the feck are we that hesitant to take the correct decision?

Hopeless.
You got knocked out the CL groups? It's fine, don't worry about it.
You just lost the EL final despite being overwhelming favourites? No worries pal, have a new contract.
You've lost 3 of the last 4 league games, got knocked out of the first round in the competition you've got the best chance of winning, still play dog shit football, kept 1 clean sheet in 20 and got humiliated at home to our biggest rivals despite being given world class players? It's okay mate, we'll give you time to turn it around.

This club isn't serious.

Carolina Red

Staff
I have 2 other ones :

- Whether he can defeat with the likes of Guardiola, Klopp and Tuchel at their peak, when most of his other League wins have not come under heavy competition.

- That his 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 is not suited to our top heavy squad, and will sacrifice either Bruno or Sancho/Greenwood.
He played 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 at Juventus. Conte has never been rigidly tied down to a formation.

Dante

Average bang

In Fabrizio's own words, he loves the 'structure' at United and thinks we're 'perfect' to start winning immediately.

If that means Conte doesn't see the need to buy/sell a bunch of players, that would be ideal.

My only worry about him is that he'll undo all the foundations that Ole has built, like LvG and Mourinho did before him.

The current squad, their mentality and their age profiles are good. But Solksjaer made a rod for his own back by bringing us to the cusp of being competetive but lacking the managerial nouse to take us that final step. What I want from the next manager is somebody who can pick up the reins straight away without skipping a beat.

Dan_F

PSG to end up with Conte we end up with Poch cos you know exciting attacking football, PSG win the UCL we win feck all and Poch is gone in 3 years. You can see it happening. Culture, United DNA, Promoting the youth and all that Malarkey.
Sure. Conte is well renowned for his success in the Champions League after all.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

In Fabrizio's own words, he loves the 'structure' at United and thinks we're 'perfect' to start winning immediately.

If that means Conte doesn't see the need to buy/sell a bunch of players, that would be ideal.

My only worry about him is that he'll undo all the foundations that Ole has built. The squad, mentality and age profile of the squad is good. But Solksjaer made a rod for his own back by bringing us to the cusp of being competetive but lacking the managerial nouse to take us that final step.
What foundations has Ole built? Genuine question.

kthanksbye

He leaves teams in a mess when he leaves: Juve won the title for 6 years after he left after not having won it for nearly a decade before he came, Inter Milan are in a top 4 race/title race after having sold their best 2 players and are better off than before he came and Chelsea's 2 best players in the Champions League last season were Rudiger and Kante who were both Conte signings.

He falls out with the owners: At Chelsea he wanted VVD and Lukaku and got just Morata after having won the league so I think he was absolutely correct here and he still won the FA cup and at Inter Milan he was told thank you for winning our first title in 10 years but I'm sorry we have to sell your best players and we can't invest due to our financials. I struggle to think of a top manager who wouldn't get upset by this.

He plays defensive football: His teams score a bucketload of goals, last season only Bayern were higher in league goals in the top 5 leagues than Inter and at Chelsea his title winning team scored 85 goals which we've not come close to since SAF retired. Just because he often plays 3 at the back does not mean his football is boring, ask any Chelsea fan if they were boring under Conte.

He's just another LVG/Jose: He's a manager in his absolute prime which LVG and Jose were not when they came here. It's not even a comparison.
These myths have been clinically busted so many times in this tread itself that I'm getting tired of reading it now.
I don't know when this will die. Conte was absolutely the best option when we hired Ole, he still is.

Dante

Average bang
What foundation will he undo? Can you be a bit more specific?
What foundations has Ole built? Genuine question.
He picked up a team that was full of deadwood, mentally broken, unconcerned about losing and yoyo-ing between Europa League and CL group stage level.

If either you expected a title challenge with this squad, that's your answer.

ConteIsLife

RodgersIsLife was taken
I have 2 other ones :

- Whether he can defeat with the likes of Guardiola, Klopp and Tuchel at their peak, when most of his other League wins have not come under heavy competition.

Well he won the league with 93 points when both of them were in the PL, I don't think anyone can match him in potential to do it. What other manager has the better CV to go against them? He won 13 games in a row (joint record), 3 PL manager of the month awards (record), won 30 games out of 38 (record).

He's played multiple systems with 4 at the back, he will play what works like he did at Chelsea. At Chelsea he was playing 4 at the back and at half time he was 3-0 down against Wenger and he changed it to 3-4-3 and they started to stomp everyone. i don't see why a 3-4-3/3-4-1-2 doesn't work with our system, he used Pedro and Hazard in his system at Chelsea. He made Victor Moses look like a world class player so I refuse to believe he can't elevate our players.

Simply put we have too many attackers and any competent manager is going to sacrifice someone, Conte is tactically flexible.

Last edited:

FatTails

If we play a 3-5-2, three out of Greenwood, Rashford, Cavani and Sancho will always be on the bench. That's not good.

If we play 3-4-3, Bruno will be on the bench.

3 at the back just doesnt suit our squad no matter the mental gymnastics people do. I'm not saying play all of them, but a 4-3-3 accommodates Bruno, Rashford, Sancho and Ronaldo, with just Cavani and Greenwood on the bench, which is nice and balanced. Conte has to play a 4-3-3, otherwise he is wasting our attacking talent. And please dont say "but what about trophies and balance" because those are not mutually exclusive.
3 out of our attackers will play, and the rest will be on the bench, no matter who the manager is. Ole tried to fit 4, and it doesn’t work. If we hire a Zidane, he will go with three proper midfielders (Pogba, Fred, Matic, for example), one striker (Ronaldo/Cavani), and two of Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Bruno, Elanga, Mata, Amad…3-4-3 would fit the same number of attackers, you’re really replacing a midfielder with a CB.

You don’t sacrifice team balance because you’ve created a top heavy squad, and if you do, you will end up sacked sooner or later.

kthanksbye

Reading things like "Conte thinks he can win with this squad" is absolutely unnecessary pressure on Conte, the board has already started playing games with him.

Highfather_24

He picked up a team that was full of deadwood, mentally broken, unconcerned about losing and yoyo-ing between Europa League and CL group stage level.

If either you expected a title challenge with this squad, that's your answer.
So he has assembled a squad of very good players and made the dressing room less toxic. That's the foundation?

And you're worried Conte will come in, sell good players left and right and stink up the place Mourinho style?

I'm not saying that wont happen, I'm just trying to understand what exact foundation you are talking about that Conte is going to dismantle.

Bertie 2 Hats

Anyone else warming to the thought of seeing the crazy, excitable Italian Conte bouncing around, gesticulating from the Technical Area ?

Status
Not open for further replies.