• Yes

Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

troylocker

No!! A poisonous manager. Way too much controversy around him, he'll wear down any squad and board within 2 years tops.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
I have to admit, I'm not up to speed with the apparent issues that come with Conte along with the success he brings. Is he really like Mourinho in terms of creating a hostile and poisonous atmosphere? Has this happened at Juve, Chelsea and Inter Milan and how did it happen?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I have to admit, I'm not up to speed with the apparent issues that come with Conte along with the success he brings. Is he really like Mourinho in terms of creating a hostile and poisonous atmosphere? Has this happened at Juve, Chelsea and Inter Milan and how did it happen?
Short answer, it happened nowhere. If you really want to compare him to someone in terms of attitude it will be Tuchel, neither have an issue airing their issues in press conferences but neither are poisonous or unreasonable and the players generally like them.

the_cliff

It's a myth, people seem to think he leaves teams destroyed like Mourinho does. Yet, all of those teams barring Inter, who he just left went on to win major trophies the season after he left.

The main reason that Conte has that reputation is due to the fact that like most world class managers he wants a say in recruitment and doesn't want players forced on him by management. So with Juve he wanted investment to challenge for UCL, he didn't get that so he resigned. Juve went on to win 6 serie A titles in a row afterwards.

At Chelsea he wanted VVD and Lukaku, He got Rudiger, Bakayoko, Drinkwater and Morata, he wanted quality instead of quantity and he fell out with Abramovic because of that and was let go. Chelsea won the Europa league the next season finishing 3rd and recently won the CL.

At Inter he won them their first serie A title in 10 years ending the dominance he started with Juve. At the end of the season he was thanked by them selling Lukaku and Hakimi (their 2 best players) due to the club owners struggling over finances because of Covid. So he resigned. Inter this season still look good despite this and are firmly in the title race.

So yes, people are sceptical because all of his jobs have ended in resignation/sacking due to transfer disputes with the owners. However, it is a myth that he leaves teams in worse shape like a Mourinho as all of his former teams have gone on to win major honours after he left.

The reason most fans want him here is that we have a team ready to win now and Conte is our best bet.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
It's a myth, people seem to think he leaves teams destroyed like Mourinho does. Yet, all of those teams barring Inter, who he just left went on to win major trophies the season after he left.

The main reason that Conte has that reputation is due to the fact that like most world class managers he wants a say in recruitment and doesn't want players forced on him by management. So with Juve he wanted investment to challenge for UCL, he didn't get that so he resigned. Juve went on to win 6 serie A titles in a row afterwards.

At Chelsea he wanted VVD and Lukaku, He got Rudiger, Bakayoko, Drinkwater and Morata, he wanted quality instead of quantity and he fell out with Abramovic because of that and was let go. Chelsea won the Europa league the next season finishing 3rd and recently won the CL.

At Inter he won them their first serie A title in 10 years ending the dominance he started with Juve. At the end of the season he was thanked by them selling Lukaku and Hakimi (their 2 best players) due to the club owners struggling over finances because of Covid. So he resigned. Inter this season still look good despite this and are firmly in the title race.

So yes, people are sceptical because all of his jobs have ended in resignation/sacking due to transfer disputes with the owners. However, it is a myth that he leaves teams in worse shape like a Mourinho as all of his former teams have gone on to win major honours after he left.

The reason most fans want him here is that we have a team ready to win now and Conte is our best bet.
Thanks for this info, I had heard people talking about the poisonous atmosphere he creates in the dressing room with his attitudes to certain players, but from what I saw of his teams on the pitch, you could hardly accuse them of not playing for him.

It makes more sense now that the upper hierarchy would be against hiring Conte because he would expose their inadequacy. However, as you say, this team is ready to win now, so there is less risk for Conte and the board of Man Utd to take a chance on him.

The only other thing that worries me is his style of play, which has been described as being pragmatic. However, looking at the stats with some of his other teams, they have done really well in an attacking sense and the number of goals scored is quite remarkable for a supposedly more reserved team.

I was skeptical when I first heard of Conte being touted as a successor to Ole, but the more I think about it the more sense it makes. I feel we are on the cusp of making a decision here that could see us once again being a real force in Europe again, not just the league. We just need a coaching/management set up of the highest calibre and at the moment, Conte is the only available manager for me who fits that bill.

the_cliff

Thanks for this info, I had heard people talking about the poisonous atmosphere he creates in the dressing room with his attitudes to certain players, but from what I saw of his teams on the pitch, you could hardly accuse them of not playing for him.

It makes more sense now that the upper hierarchy would be against hiring Conte because he would expose their inadequacy. However, as you say, this team is ready to win now, so there is less risk for Conte and the board of Man Utd to take a chance on him.

The only other thing that worries me is his style of play, which has been described as being pragmatic. However, looking at the stats with some of his other teams, they have done really well in an attacking sense and the number of goals scored is quite remarkable for a supposedly more reserved team.

I was skeptical when I first heard of Conte being touted as a successor to Ole, but the more I think about it the more sense it makes. I feel we are on the cusp of making a decision here that could see us once again being a real force in Europe again, not just the league. We just need a coaching/management set up of the highest calibre and at the moment, Conte is the only available manager for me who fits that bill.
Well usually his fall outs are with the board and not the players. He did have a public spat with Diego Costa at Chelsea due to Costa wanting to leave to China mid season, that was also the season they were in the title race and eventually won the league. He wants 100% from his players and any player who's head is turned or is not performing to his expectations will definitely get his wrath.

In terms of his style of play, I agree, it is primarily defensive based especially in terms of structure and shape. However, our team right now we're a bit top heavy I'm struggling to think of anyone (even a Zidane or a Ten Hag) that would be able to fit 5 of Bruno, Sancho, Lingard, Pogba, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Ronaldo and Cavani in a starting 11 without being unbalanced and defensively open. The good thing is he has history of playing both the 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 so could probably use a system with wingers (like he did at Chelsea) when needed and two up top (like he did at Inter) when needed. He also doesn't play a 3 at the back tactic that sits back and soaks up pressure like Ole's 3 at the back against Spurs. Usually he is more possession based and does press quite often to win the ball back higher up the pitch. He's more similar in style to Tuchels 3 at the back than the traditional defensive Southgate/Ole version.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Good fecking grief, we’re passing up on yet another manager.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
If Spurs get Conte i'm calling it, they'll finish top 4.
Yep, not a chance in hell we’re finishing top 4 with Pep, Klopp, Tuchel and Conte managing teams. We’ve written off another season effectively.

Someone

Something
We really don't know what we're doing. We're going to let a club pushing for top 4 get a world class manager while we're desperate for a new manager as well. The incompetence is mind-blowing.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We really don't know what we're doing. We're going to let a club pushing for top 4 get a world class manager while we're desperate for a new manager as well. The incompetence is mind-blowing.
The club is probably not desperate for a new manager.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
I really have no idea why Conte would want to go to this mess of a Spurs team. Unless he is promised several players in January I guess.

DutchCruijff

What is wrong with this club?

We could genuinely be in a situation where we lose vs Atalanta and City.

What happens then? Ole STILL at the wheel till the end of the season? Mike Phelan as interim till we the get the Messiah, Pochettino?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Spurs team is a bit crap but Conte’s the type of manager who will get total randoms like Ben Davies and Lo Celso playing amazingly in his system — but even then they need a proper transfer window for him

Nick7

I really have no idea why Conte would want to go to this mess of a Spurs team. Unless he is promised several players in January I guess.
Levy is very good at making promises. Not so good at keeping them though. Could be a big bust up in Jan.

fergosaurus

So, Solskjaer it is until the end of the season, then whoever is sacked between Rodgers and Poch.

Masochists FC

Lukinho

What if the board waited until Conte gets a job. So there is no other coach available and they say Ole has to stay for the rest of the season. I think they might actually give us a statment like that.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Maybe he's got the nod from Kane that he’ll actually show up? Or the other way round — Kane is all but confirmed to feck off in Jan to give Conte a bit of a Kitty?

Either way I’m hoping this is all just posturing man. Will be beyond gutted if Spurs end with Conte

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Are they pushing for top 4 though?

Spurs had a nice run under Pochettino but they're lightyears off that now. They still have some very good players but even a good coach can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Conte will go to Spurs and transform them, while we pray and hope weekends are good and somehow our players can produce results.

Our club should be a case study for management failure.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If they're going back to him, after hearing his demands in the summer, Spurs may be willing to give him what he wants. Could be an interesting next 2 windows for them. He'll probably whip Kane into shape too.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
This is a reactionary post that I may regret later but I’m done being emotionally invested in this club until they - either the Board or the coaching team - demonstrate some basic level of competence and ambition that befits a club of this stature. I’m not convinced that they’re playing a long game to wait for Ten Hag, they’re just hoping to continue with Ole for as long as possible.

And apart from emotional investment in the club you support, what is football but entertainment? And is United’s football entertaining? Not to me.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
With Fabio Paratici invoved this is a lot more than just posturing this time, they tried once but were too stubborn to agree to all his terms. Tottenham will give him what he wants now. He genuinely is going to join Spurs.

OneUnited24

I honestly thought we were going to make the decision over the international break and were hoping to give the team a longer new manager bounce… but I guess that assumed we were a well run club

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
You couldn't scrript it. I wrote last week that I thought the club were bluffing about looking at new managers to keep the fans quiet. This will expose them as, if they suspected that we needed a change, then Conte is probably the only option right now.

I've never known anybody to have such luck like Ole. He will be celebrating inside when he hears about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.