Votes: 474 56.4%
  • No

Votes: 366 43.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skills

Snitch
Sure, but can we bring the the chosen one gimmick back for this one?

Graham Potter: the man who managed

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You don’t go from Brighton to this current Man Utd, man. He looks like a very promising manager but he absolutely needs at least one stepping stone.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Indeed. I used to work for a global jet engine manufacturer. And one thing they were pretty good at, apart from making brilliant products, was the rigourus way they identified and recruited individuals for their key roles.
And knowing how they did that, I have to say that someone like Ole would have never got even remotely close to an interview. Let alone actually be appointed.
And there is no reason at all why United should not be just as rigourous.
How come?

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Utd need a superstar manager that will be given the space to make mistakes, experiment and get his formula right. Ole being a legend got a lot of leeway from ex players and fans. No one is going to be as patient with Potter. Its got to be one of Zidane, Conte or Rodgers at a stretch.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Voted yes on the basis that even though he wouldn't be my first, second or possibly even third choice just from the names we're throwing around, if he was appointed I'd be more intrigued than underwhelmed.

Whereas with someone like Rodgers, I'd just be underwhelmed.

Dosse

Potter has kept a weak Brighton side in the PL and played some really good football. He’s not a flash in the pan. You can clearly see what his team are trying to do. We’ve gone down the proven route, and it hasn’t worked. If proven route means Conte and unproven means Potter or Ten Hag then I’m unproven all the way.
Let’s not kid ourselves Ole shortcomings are because he is unproven. They are because he’s not a very good manager.
Good points! I want to agree with you but i wish we could pick a safe winning option for now (Conte) and hire some long term prospect in the long run!

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
No more learning on the job. Manage a big side and show if you can handle the pressure. It is too soon for him to get United Job

sparx99

I am amazed how people who have paid any attention to Nagelsmann could ever say Potter at his level yet. Sure he could get there but he has a long way to go for that.
What we need right now is a manager who knows how to maximize the team's potential and then get results. I would surely pick Conte over any of the other ones potentially available to do that job better.
Nagelsmann was managing one of the wealthiest teams in Germany though. I know he did well at Hoffenheim before he was at Leipzig but isn’t that comparable to what Potter is doing for Brighton?

I guess if Potter was to mirror Nagelsmann he’d now go and do the Newcastle job and finish top 4. Have a good champions league run and then move to Utd the way Nagelsmann has with Bayern.

Skills

Snitch
How come?
Because he does not have the required abilities.
Why do you think he does?
Tbf it's easy when technical people are hiring other technical people. A lot of them are just seeing how well you're able to do a job compared to the other talented people you already have. You go in knowing exactly what you want and the talent pool is big enough for you to filter down to who exactly you want.

sparx99

Indeed. I used to work for a global jet engine manufacturer. And one thing they were pretty good at, apart from making brilliant products, was the rigourus way they identified and recruited individuals for their key roles.
And knowing how they did that, I have to say that someone like Ole would have never got even remotely close to an interview. Let alone actually be appointed.
Football is odd though. Mourinho and Van Gaal have as many credentials as you could possibly have but they were no longer at the cutting edge. Conversely Guardiola had even less experience than Ole before managing Barcelona.

More than anything we need to hire a manager on the up which takes balls and you need to accept it may not work 2-3 times and be ruthless. City were winning titles and yet still sacked Mancini and Pellegrini. We could have sacked Ole after last season as a ‘thanks but time to move on’ kind of thing. Instead we gave him a new deal.

Skills

Snitch
Voted yes on the basis that even though he wouldn't be my first, second or possibly even third choice just from the names we're throwing around, if he was appointed I'd be more intrigued than underwhelmed.

Whereas with someone like Rodgers, I'd just be underwhelmed.
Same. I think he'd do a good job for a 1-2 seasons actually.

Its one of those, where it's not working out you'll know within the first 3-4 months.

bonothom

This Graham Potter obsession with some fans. Is it because Guardiola said he was the best English manager out there? It was an off the cuff remark. He was being polite. I wouldn't be surprised if our board offered him a 6 year deal on the back of a comment from Guardiola.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Would be an absolutely breathtakingly mad risky move.

He'd need to step up to a Wolves, West Ham, Arsenal, Tottenham level of club first and do well there.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This Graham Potter obsession with some fans. Is it because Guardiola said he was the best English manager out there? It was an off the cuff remark. He was being polite. I wouldn't be surprised if our board offered him a 6 year deal on the back of a comment from Guardiola.
It's because he's generally recognised as being a high-level young coach who plays football in line with the meta of top level modern football.

Now there are other factors that go into making a successful manager beyond being good tactically and in terms of coaching, especially at a club like United, which is why he wouldn't be one of my first choices. But having that reputation is a good starting point.

Flytan

He's on the list of managers who should be interviewed and tracked long term by the club but not now. It's not that Brighton is too small or anything it's just I'd like to see him repeat the process at another club first.

JustAGuest

From watching Brighton play. They genuinely play better football than us. :lol:

Lentwood

I go along with that. Last year, it was Eddie Howe.
It needs to be acknowledged that managing a club the size, stature and level of expectation as Manchester United probably requires someone with a fairly, unique set of skills and capabilities.
That is what we had with Sir Alex Ferguson. Now, Graham Potter might be that man. But he probably won't.
We are seeing what David Moyes is capable of. Hugely impressive. But there is a big difference between the job at West Ham and Old Trafford.
I just hope that whoever replaces Ole, we are able to identify someone with those key attributes. Remember, Ole was only supposed to be a temporary appointment. He would never have met the required skill sets and still doesn't.
Hang on...why are we comparing Eddie Howe to Brendan Rodgers?

Brendan Rodgers came within a hair's breadth of winning a title with Liverpool, back when they were crap! Brendan Rodgers has won an FA Cup and multiple titles in Scotland. Brendan Rodgers has managed in the Champions League. Brendan Rodgers has been managing a team challenging at the top of the table most of his career.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
How come?
Because he does not have the required abilities.
Why do you think he does?
I mean it's become a cliche to use this at this point, but by your logic Guardiola would never have got a job, or Rodgers, Or Mourinho, or Zidane, or many of the managers who landed a big job as their first (bar a season of reserve football).

Football management isn't comparable, Man Utd went with Moyes because he had a decade of PL management, Van Gaal because he'd won everything and was one of the most proven managers of all time, Mourinho will go down as one of the greatest and had won the PL a season or two before. Ole got the job after a good run as a caretaker, the club was indecisive once again and panicked. Time to shake off the shackles.

Graham Potter is special, and you're all going to see it within a few years. Manchester United shouldn't be a club that keeps shitting itself, it's time for some cajones. Bring him in next summer and never look back. He took the hard route in management, going to the bottom of Sweden and transforming the club. Now he's in the PL, a staggering achievement, he's a good man and he's going to the top.

United Hobbit

You don’t go from Brighton to this current Man Utd, man. He looks like a very promising manager but he absolutely needs at least one stepping stone.
Agreed the step up is so big, he's certainly very interesting but I'd like to see him at somewhere like Everton first. Though at this point I'd take almost anyone over Ole

Loon

:lol:
It's a bit like Mike Walker going from Norwich to Everton (ask your kids) or Gerry Francis always moaning when he was at QPR about not having money or resources to build a team and then nose-diving when his bluff was called at Spurs.

redshaw

No he's been widely regarded for some time.

His achievements and education are quite impressive.

Red_toad

Sitting above us is also West Ham and now also perhaps Arsenal. Sitting above us with Ole in charge isn't really the right barometer for employing managers. Potter needs to do much better over the course of at least 1 full season. To take him over someone like Conte is the same stupidity that we have been committing ever since Fergie retired.
LVG and Jose were both proven winners. Moyes and Ole were not, so it's a mixed bag. Many on here wanted Nagelsmann and he's won feck all either. I could understand if the Club were hesitant on Conte as Jose burned them badly. Is easy to sit back as a fan and know how to run a club. Not saying Potter is the solution but he's doing very well thus far in his career.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
He'd get an interview with Boeing no bother though. United are Boeing right now.

Sviken

LVG and Jose were both proven winners.
When will this nonsense stop getting repeated? LVG was far past it by the time we got him, his best years long behind. Jose was obviously not the same Jose pre-Madrid and was coming off his worst season ever. Conte just won the title with Inter and teh previous season only lost it on point. And even at the time I'm adamant that they were the right choices given the fact that Klopp and Pep both were unavailable. Who else were going to get? The board sacked LVG rightly, but at least he won a cup and got us back to top 4 after that disaster season of Moyes. Jose won us a few cups, the EL and got us top 4 twice before his full meltdown in the third season. The real mistake the board did was giving Ole a 3 years contract prior to him finishing his season with us. Basically set us back for 3 years and nothing to show for it. If the board was patient enough and waited for the end of the season, we may have gotten Nigelsmann, Conte, Ancelotti or some manager of that calibre that would propel us in an entirely different trajectory and LVG and Mou's appointments wouldn't be a problem whatsoever. Now all we can do is rectify that mistake despite us wasting 3 years on Ole and we're certainly not going to rectify that mistake by appointing an unproven manager when our squad is all in their prime and they have to win now.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I actually would. Everyone is a risk and he can be an Arteta-like appointment or even better - proven to be good in the league but not at our level.

All this talk of players respecting him is a bit stupid in my opinion. Every coach starts somewhere and Potter has proven with Brighton he's got the coaching knowhow.

Conte would be my favourite but certainly would go for Potter ahead of a Rodgers.

Red_toad

When will this nonsense stop getting repeated? LVG was far past it by the time we got him, his best years long behind. Jose was obviously not the same Jose pre-Madrid and was coming off his worst season ever. Conte just won the title with Inter and teh previous season only lost it on point. And even at the time I'm adamant that they were the right choices given the fact that Klopp and Pep both were unavailable. Who else were going to get? The board sacked LVG rightly, but at least he won a cup and got us back to top 4 after that disaster season of Moyes. Jose won us a few cups, the EL and got us top 4 twice before his full meltdown in the third season. The real mistake the board did was giving Ole a 3 years contract prior to him finishing his season with us. Basically set us back for 3 years and nothing to show for it. If the board was patient enough and waited for the end of the season, we may have gotten Nigelsmann, Conte, Ancelotti or some manager of that calibre that would propel us in an entirely different trajectory and LVG and Mou's appointments wouldn't be a problem whatsoever. Now all we can do is rectify that mistake despite us wasting 3 years on Ole and we're certainly not going to rectify that mistake by appointing an unproven manager when our squad is all in their prime and they have to win now.
Ah so my opinion and factual data are nonsense?

By the way Nagelsmann has won less than Ole as a manager :smirk: unless you actually mean Nigelsmann and I've no idea who he is... As for Conti maybe the owners want someone who they won't be sacking and paying off in 1 or 2 seasons?

And I'd say the real mistake was not to get a different manager once Ole completed his caretaker stint, it was always evident he wouldn't be able to take the club to an elite level.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I mean it's become a cliche to use this at this point, but by your logic Guardiola would never have got a job, or Rodgers, Or Mourinho, or Zidane, or many of the managers who landed a big job as their first (bar a season of reserve football).

Football management isn't comparable, Man Utd went with Moyes because he had a decade of PL management, Van Gaal because he'd won everything and was one of the most proven managers of all time, Mourinho will go down as one of the greatest and had won the PL a season or two before. Ole got the job after a good run as a caretaker, the club was indecisive once again and panicked. Time to shake off the shackles.

Graham Potter is special, and you're all going to see it within a few years. Manchester United shouldn't be a club that keeps shitting itself, it's time for some cajones. Bring him in next summer and never look back. He took the hard route in management, going to the bottom of Sweden and transforming the club. Now he's in the PL, a staggering achievement, he's a good man and he's going to the top.
I agree with this mindset and have felt like this for years. I hope the club do grow a pair and appoint someone on the basis of their ability to coach a proactive brand of football.

BuzzKillington

Leipzig finished 3rd and 2nd under Nagelsmann. You really think that is similar to what Potter has done so far!

Also Conte is not dour. He has better tactical acumen than Graham Potter for starters and just so he plays 3 at the back doesn't mean he is a defensive coach.

Our fans want the hipster of the month and then when it all goes south, the same ones wonder why is our Board incompetent.

Imagine any club (let alone one at the level of United especially during this stage of our rebuild) wanting Potter over Conte.
Leipzig are not Brighton. They’re a very well funded and ran club. And I do have my doubts over Potter, he’s definitely a gamble. But I’d take a gamble on him rather than taking one on Rodger’s.

And I stand by my Conte dislike. I reluctantly welcomed Jose and his shit on a stick football, thinking it was a sure fire bet to get us trophies. The trophies he did bring in weren’t worth the absolute carnage he left behind.

I’m also not sure our squad really works for Contes 352 formation either. We’re stacked up top and don’t have a midfield or have any right sided wing backs. He’d really only be able to play 2 of our best 5/6 players who all play up front. We’d still have McFred in the middle until he can add some old feckers on big contracts in the next transfer window. It’d be a painful final 2/3rds of the season and I’m not sure anybody would have the patience or desire to see him complete a second.

Sviken

Ah so my opinion and factual data are nonsense?

By the way Nagelsmann has won less than Ole as a manager :smirk: unless you actually mean Nigelsmann and I've no idea who he is... As for Conti maybe the owners want someone who they won't be sacking and paying off in 1 or 2 seasons?

And I'd say the real mistake was not to get a different manager once Ole completed his caretaker stint, it was always evident he wouldn't be able to take the club to an elite level.
When you have no arguments, you just argue over typos and what not. It's nto about winning trophies, it's about managerial performances. Obviously, no-one would expect of Nagelsmann to win the Bundesliga with Hoffenheim or Leipzig, but his managerial performance at both clubs were very impressive in on themselves. Got them in the CL and really gave Bayern a go with Leipzig. In comparison - Potter has done a decent job in the Norwegian league and also at Brighton, but 15 and 16th places at Brighton, albeit very good considering the club's stature, is NOT Manchester United material. A manager needs to impress a lot more. And yes he plays good football, but tha'ts not enough. If he gets Brighton this season in the EL places or CL, then you'd have an argument. But you literally have nothing except "well, let's just take a punt on the guy because he plays attractive football" at a time where the club is desperate for a person that can win right now, not 6 years from now or whatever.

As far as Conte goes, would paying off 10 million to Conte be so bad after winning the PL, compared to giving Ole 500 million to spent with nothing to show off and sacking him for 30 million? Would it be that bad? I'd take that deal any day of the week.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He's played some good football last season with a fairly shite team. So he clearly has a clue which would be an improvement.

I'd take a random Redcafe newbie as the next manager at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.