g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Would you take Graham Potter at United?

Would you take Graham Potter at United?

• Yes

Votes: 474 56.4%
  • No

Votes: 366 43.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He's certainly not at the top of my list, but I'd be willing to give him a go personally. Probably even ahead of Conte (#1 is Ten Hag & #2 is Zidane).

JustAGuest

That performance should make it clear why he is so highly rated. Who knows what he would be able to achieve with a better squad.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would easily take him above Rodgers, but easily below Conte too. Conte is the lowest risk with our current squad for the immediate 2-3 years. After that... we'll figure it out and see how it goes with Conte. Just need the board to stop looking at a manager as a "hopefully 10+ year appointment".

NK86

Anyone saying this job is too big for him after enduring 3 years of that amateur in charge should seriously reconsider how difficult it is to coach a football team.
We should not take a risky option right now. We need to get back to the top and then we can look at Potter if he is still punching above his weight. Right now it's 50-50 (and I am being generous here) with whether it would work for him here. The players have massive egos and it won't be easy to take instructions from someone who has not proven anything yet at this level.

redrobed

He wouldn’t come. He’s too smart and isn’t going to want to work with the Glazers knowing he’ll get no money to spend on the squad - would be better off waiting for Newcastle/City/Chelsea offer.

Pickle85

I think these polls are a little skewed at the mo by the massively diminished faith in Ole and the desire for a change. I like Potter...his sides play attractive football, seem well coached and we'll organised. They've tended to be a bit leaky, if memory serves, but he's done really well with them on not much money.

NK86

Would easily take him above Rodgers, but easily below Conte too. Conte is the lowest risk with our current squad for the immediate 2-3 years. After that... we'll figure it out and see how it goes with Conte. Just need the board to stop looking at a manager as a "hopefully 10+ year appointment".
That's my take as well. Potter above Rodgers but Conte is a decision which should be least risky and best right now to allow us to jump right back into the fray.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It would b a huge huge gamble. He's never managed any elite player in his career. For all we know this is his level.

Not sure the players would respect him with him being a complete nobody who has never won anything.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Yep.

Ideally you'd want to see him move to a team like Spurs or Leicester and see how he does there. See how comfortably he translates to a different team with better resources and slightly higher ambitions. Then if he did well there you'd actively target him.

But in the situation we're in he should at least be in the discussion now, even if only as third or fourth choice.
Surprised Spurs didn't go for him in the summer, to be honest. Much better option for them than Nuno. And yes, I am aware of how easily that comment could blow up in my face in the next 2 hours!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He wouldn’t come. He’s too smart and isn’t going to want to work with the Glazers knowing he’ll get no money to spend on the squad - would be better off waiting for Newcastle/City/Chelsea offer.
All you people who keep saying how we spend no money, look at the players we've brought in!!
We're possibly even equal with City now over the last 8 years for goodness sake!

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I'm not convinced by any of the viable alternatives, so my preference is to leave Ole in his position until there's a strong option. However of the names getting thrown around, I'd be more interested in the club going for a left field up and coming manager like Potter.

JG3001

Can see Spurs making the move for him once they get fed up of Nuno.

Probably too much of a gamble for us, although given how things are atm, I personally wouldn’t complain if he ended up here before 2022.

We need an rvn

It would b a huge huge gamble. He's never managed any elite player in his career. For all we know this is his level.

Not sure the players would respect him with him being a complete nobody who has never won anything.
That's my view as well. I love what he's done at Brighton and be interesting to see how he does when managing a bigger club.

Not to mention the added pressure he'll have at United, which is a massive thing. Not saying he doesn't face pressure at Brighton, but this would be on another level.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Potter gets a draw at anfield while playing good football, yet he's not good enough to our manager?

This is a big problem with united fans. They only want big names, not a manager that actually does a good job.

Sviken

Let him do a job at Spurs or Everton, keep a close eye on him there. And if Conte leaves in 2-3 years time and Potter impresses, get him. It's that simple. To get him right now in our tragic situation would be bonkers.

JustAGuest

Let him do a job at Spurs or Everton, keep a close eye on him there. And if Conte leaves in 2-3 years time and Potter impresses, get him. It's that simple. To get him right now in our tragic situation would be bonkers.
No guarantee he would be willing to leave after doing well at Spurs/Everton. There is also the possibility City go for him before we get another chance.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Conte is the lowest risk with our current squad for the immediate 2-3 years.
The biggest argument against Conte is that our squad absolutely doesn’t match Conte’s preferred formation. Out of the big names mentioned, Conte is the highest short-term risk before he has a chance to sign at least 3 players.

Sviken

No guarantee he would be willing to leave after doing well at Spurs/Everton. There is also the possibility City go for him before we get another chance.
There's no guarantees for anything, even him coming right now.
The biggest argument against Conte is that our squad absolutely doesn’t match Conte’s preferred formation. Out of the big names mentioned, Conte is the highest short-term risk before he has a chance to sign at least 3 players.
None of the clubs he took over matched his formation. Furthermore, Conte isn't rigid on the formation. He usually plays depending on the strength of his players.

InfiniteBoredom

I'll take him over Rodgers. With our current squad and dressing room though, he would step in a lion's den, can be a spectacular debacle.

paulscholes18

Like the way he sets his sides up, their expected data was fantastic last season, 3rd for xg against and 5th for X points.
Would be my 3rd choice behind Ten Hag and Conte.

Jacob

Italian managers are tailors, they adapt to what they got.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We should not take a risky option right now. We need to get back to the top and then we can look at Potter if he is still punching above his weight. Right now it's 50-50 (and I am being generous here) with whether it would work for him here. The players have massive egos and it won't be easy to take instructions from someone who has not proven anything yet at this level.
Oh, I agree. I would prefer Conte now and if he doesn't work, go for Potter.

My point was more simplistic that I don't see Potter doing worse, just because he doesn't have the gravitas or other such nonsense.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If anything I think our players suit Conte more than a manager like Ten Hag/Potter/Rodgers. Those managers need time to implement their style, you want them to implement a high press and cohesive style and the defending in styles like that takes a lot longer to sort out as it's a harder system to learn without getting torn up. For Conte, he knows how to tighten up a defence quickly while working on the pressing aspect over time. Whoever the manager is will need a revamp of the midfield anyway, but I think Conte is far more adaptable to the players he have while the others need to build their whole squad around their specific needs of players.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This Graham Potter obsession with some fans. Is it because Guardiola said he was the best English manager out there? It was an off the cuff remark. He was being polite. I wouldn't be surprised if our board offered him a 6 year deal on the back of a comment from Guardiola.
It's probably because Brighton play really good football relative to their level/resources. That and the death of good British/ English managers.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
No, same as Rodgers, not proven at all.
Conte or Ten Hag, but the board won't go for either I'm guessing.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
People keep saying the glazers spend no money. What world are you living in? The issue for the last few years has not been spending money, it's been spending it badly :houllier:

Smacky The Frog

He is an unquestionably good coach. You just need to watch Brighton play a couple of times and it becomes apparent that they're an exceptionally well-coached team who are far more than the sum of their parts.

What you can question though is how good he is as a manager. It's one thing to get Maupay and Lallana to do exactly what you tell them, it's another trying to get Bruno and Ronaldo and Rashford and Pogba to follow your orders.

Think this would be one move too soon, both for him and United. The fallout is just too risky if it doesn't work out.

Think he's a much better fit for Spurs.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
On the proven winner thing what had Mancini or Enrique won pre City and Barca?

Red_toad

And? We could have challenged if an actual manager was appointed instead of Ole and given that 500 million. What even is your point here? Mou and LVG were the best appointments we could get at the time. That they failed has no bearing on the matter. If you have the ability to predict which manager would turn successful here and the next SAF, please share. Might as well go to the imbeciles on the board and divulge that secret, as a matter of fact.
Point being you only see things from your perspective and you seem to think you have all the answers. Not sure what secret I'm supposed to divulge with you? But there ya go....

Red_toad

Where did you get that gem from? :lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
On the proven winner thing what had Mancini or Enrique won pre City and Barca?
To add to your post, Antonio Conte had been sacked at Arrezo, then reinstated a year later where he was relegated with them. He was then appointed Bari Manager where he got them promoted from Serie B, which got him the Juve job. He got the Juve job because he was a ex player and Juve are known to give opportunities to up and coming Managers who are Italian.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
To add to your post, Antonio Conte had been sacked at Arrezo, then reinstated a year later where he was relegated with them. He was then appointed Bari Manager where he got them promoted from Serie B, which got him the Juve job. He got the Juve job because he was a ex player and Juve are known to give opportunities to up and coming Managers who are Italian.
Also forgot to add, Conte was also Atalanta Manager where he had a absolute disaster and had to be protected from the Atalanta fans and left the club in 19th before he quit the club. He then returned to Serie B with Siena and got them promoted and that was enough for him to get the job at Juve.

Status
Not open for further replies.