• Yes

Votes: 474 56.4%
  • No

Votes: 366 43.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bloody-Nine

LVG and Jose were both proven winners. Moyes and Ole were not, so it's a mixed bag. Many on here wanted Nagelsmann and he's won feck all either. I could understand if the Club were hesitant on Conte as Jose burned them badly. Is easy to sit back as a fan and know how to run a club. Not saying Potter is the solution but he's doing very well thus far in his career.
Both proven winners won stuff with us. Neither Moyes or Ole have.

Red_toad

When you have no arguments, you just argue over typos and what not. It's nto about winning trophies, it's about managerial performances. Obviously, no-one would expect of Nagelsmann to win the Bundesliga with Hoffenheim or Leipzig, but his managerial performance at both clubs were very impressive in on themselves. Got them in the CL and really gave Bayern a go with Leipzig. In comparison - Potter has done a decent job in the Norwegian league and also at Brighton, but 15 and 16th places at Brighton, albeit very good considering the club's stature, is NOT Manchester United material. A manager needs to impress a lot more. And yes he plays good football, but tha'ts not enough. If he gets Brighton this season in the EL places or CL, then you'd have an argument. But you literally have nothing except "well, let's just take a punt on the guy because he plays attractive football" at a time where the club is desperate for a person that can win right now, not 6 years from now or whatever.

As far as Conte goes, would paying off 10 million to Conte be so bad after winning the PL, compared to giving Ole 500 million to spent with nothing to show off and sacking him for 30 million? Would it be that bad? I'd take that deal any day of the week.
No mate when you have no argument you simply dismiss others opinion and go on a rant like your original post. The appointments have been a 50/50 mixed bag.
Personally I see the club going for Pochettino, as they want a manager who builds a team and brings through youth players, something you won't get with Conte.

Last edited:

marktan

When you have no arguments, you just argue over typos and what not. It's nto about winning trophies, it's about managerial performances. Obviously, no-one would expect of Nagelsmann to win the Bundesliga with Hoffenheim or Leipzig, but his managerial performance at both clubs were very impressive in on themselves. Got them in the CL and really gave Bayern a go with Leipzig. In comparison - Potter has done a decent job in the Norwegian league and also at Brighton, but 15 and 16th places at Brighton, albeit very good considering the club's stature, is NOT Manchester United material. A manager needs to impress a lot more. And yes he plays good football, but tha'ts not enough. If he gets Brighton this season in the EL places or CL, then you'd have an argument. But you literally have nothing except "well, let's just take a punt on the guy because he plays attractive football" at a time where the club is desperate for a person that can win right now, not 6 years from now or whatever.

As far as Conte goes, would paying off 10 million to Conte be so bad after winning the PL, compared to giving Ole 500 million to spent with nothing to show off and sacking him for 30 million? Would it be that bad? I'd take that deal any day of the week.
There's no guarantee Conte wins anything for us though, it's not Serie A with a weak Juve team or the league last time around where Liverpool and City weren't as strong as they are now. Hell he even has to outbest a strong Chelsea now too. It's the same arguement we used with Van Gaal and Mourinho, "Oh they won in the past, they'll win here". In the end what really matters are 1) How good a coach / tactician 2) Style of football 3) How good they are at signings / squad building 4) How good a man manager they are. For Conte he's a great tactician, the style of football can be a bit crap, and signings wise he went for Lukaku and mostly older has beens and United rejects, which I guess could be a blessing as he won't need to spend this time around to get those

Red_toad

Both proven winners won stuff with us. Neither Moyes or Ole have.
Sorry missing your point? I was simply saying to OP that we had appointed managers who had a track record of winning, as OP was making out we have not. Not sure where I mentioned how successful they had been at Untied?

Sviken

No mate when you have no argument you simply dismiss others opinion and go on a rant like your original post. The appointments have been a 50/50 mixed bag.
Okay? Like every club in the history of football? If every club knew who the right manager was, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, would we?
Personally I see the club going for Pochettino, as they want a manager who builds a team and brings through youth players, something you won't get with Conti.
And that'd be a monumentally stupid mistake akin to giving Ole the job.
There's no guarantee Conte wins anything for us though, it's not Serie A with a weak Juve team or the league last time around where Liverpool and City weren't as strong as they are now. Hell he even has to outbest a strong Chelsea now too. It's the same arguement we used with Van Gaal and Mourinho, "Oh they won in the past, they'll win here". In the end what really matters are 1) How good a coach / tactician 2) Style of football 3) How good they are at signings / squad building 4) How good a man manager they are. For Conte he's a great tactician, the style of football can be a bit crap, and signings wise he went for Lukaku and mostly older has beens and United rejects, which I guess could be a blessing as he won't need to spend this time around to get those
Nothing is guaranteed in football. If it was, I'd say the same thing - you would buy the perfect players and managers all the time, right? But the whole point of getting the best managers (or players, for that matter) is that they minimize the chances of you actually making the wrong choice. Yes, Conte, might be an utter fail here, but he has way more of a chance of being a success here than Graham does, that's for damn sure. And as far as a weak Liverpool and City, and what not. That's again - nonsense. When he took over Juve, they were wallowing in midtable. When he took over Chelsea, they finished 11th, I believe. When he took over Inter, they were hanging around the 4-8th places. What more can a guy do to prove himself? I mean, you can always use this excuse. "well duh, Liverpool are only good now because United is shit". What kind of logic is that? Circumstances always change, it's not something that should worry us. What you say about Conte is obviously not even remotely true.
1. Tactician - well, the results speak for themselves
2. Style of football - dominates the league with every team he has taken over. Almost always his team are incredibly high scoring at that. If that is not an attractive style to watch, then I don't know what we're playing under Ole
3. His signings are the last thing you should be worried about given that his signings paved the way for Juve and Inter to win the league and continue to dominate afterwards (not Inter at the moment, but they are doing very well).

marktan

His teams always put up a fight against the better teams. That to me speaks volumes.

JustAGuest

His teams always put up a fight against the better teams. That to me speaks volumes.
Very impressive given their squad. They look very good right now (even if Liverpool are inevitably going to find a winner).

NK86

Nagelsmann was managing one of the wealthiest teams in Germany though. I know he did well at Hoffenheim before he was at Leipzig but isn’t that comparable to what Potter is doing for Brighton?

I guess if Potter was to mirror Nagelsmann he’d now go and do the Newcastle job and finish top 4. Have a good champions league run and then move to Utd the way Nagelsmann has with Bayern.
That would definitely make sense. The jump is too big now. Let him prove his ability to manage a biggish club with resources first.

Nick7

They might not come away with anything, but jesus Brighton do play some lovely stuff.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Voted yes on the basis that even though he wouldn't be my first, second or possibly even third choice just from the names we're throwing around, if he was appointed I'd be more intrigued than underwhelmed.

Whereas with someone like Rodgers, I'd just be underwhelmed.
Intrigued is definitely the word. Out of the more left field options, he's right up there.

His Brighton team are attacking, energetic, well-organised and he gets the absolute maximum out of the tools at his disposal.

Not convinced he'd have the aura to win over a room full of egos though. That's the obvious disclaimer for me.

NK86

LVG and Jose were both proven winners. Moyes and Ole were not, so it's a mixed bag. Many on here wanted Nagelsmann and he's won feck all either. I could understand if the Club were hesitant on Conte as Jose burned them badly. Is easy to sit back as a fan and know how to run a club. Not saying Potter is the solution but he's doing very well thus far in his career.
I know that making those decisions is not easy. But that's what they are paid to do, a lot. So they are to blame for the current malaise.

As for whether Potter is the right choice. I am saying he may be, but it's too big a risk considering where we are at now.

Red_toad

Okay? Like every club in the history of football? If every club knew who the right manager was, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, would we?

And that'd be a monumentally stupid mistake akin to giving Ole the job.
To get it wrong 4 times in a row isn't that common I'd say.

Pochettino has the profile the owners are looking for and he may or may not work, I honestly don't know.

Back on topic Potter's team doing very well today against at Liverpool, looking very organised and he's coaching his team very well from the sidelines.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The key thing is his teams play in the style of a top level team, just with much worse players which holds them back. But it's easy to see how the way he actually has them coached and set-up tactically could quickly translate to an elite European side with better players.

Now that doesn't automatically mean he'll prove to be a top level manager or that we should be hiring him. But it does show why he's someone top sides would have an eye on, even if only in the longer term.

NK86

Leipzig are not Brighton. They’re a very well funded and ran club. And I do have my doubts over Potter, he’s definitely a gamble. But I’d take a gamble on him rather than taking one on Rodger’s.

And I stand by my Conte dislike. I reluctantly welcomed Jose and his shit on a stick football, thinking it was a sure fire bet to get us trophies. The trophies he did bring in weren’t worth the absolute carnage he left behind.

I’m also not sure our squad really works for Contes 352 formation either. We’re stacked up top and don’t have a midfield or have any right sided wing backs. He’d really only be able to play 2 of our best 5/6 players who all play up front. We’d still have McFred in the middle until he can add some old feckers on big contracts in the next transfer window. It’d be a painful final 2/3rds of the season and I’m not sure anybody would have the patience or desire to see him complete a second.
That's the problem I feel when it comes to your summary of equating Conte and Jose. They are nowhere alike in terms of how they set their teams up. Jose, even in his prime, was nowhere like how Conte has his team playing. A lot of the negativity comes from just lazy comparisons rather than actually watching his teams play.

As for whether we have a team for 3-5-2/3-4-3, I am not that bothered as a manager like him will be able to tweak his system to fit the players he has. This notion that he is as handicapped as Ole with his inability to coach and set players to play well is inaccurate.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Intrigued is definitely the word. Out of the more left field options, he's right up there.

His Brighton team are attacking, energetic, well-organised and he gets the absolute maximum out of the tools at his disposal.

Not convinced he'd have the aura to win over a room full of egos though. That's the obvious disclaimer for me.
Yep.

Ideally you'd want to see him move to a team like Spurs or Leicester and see how he does there. See how comfortably he translates to a different team with better resources and slightly higher ambitions. Then if he did well there you'd actively target him.

But in the situation we're in he should at least be in the discussion now, even if only as third or fourth choice.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
They just keep going for them. Liverpool will typically get a goal here towards the end, but Brighton have been so good.

Sviken

To get it wrong 4 times in a row isn't that common I'd say.
It is actually more than common. But you're also wrong in the fact that we got it wrong 4 times. We only got it wrong 2 times. Moyes and Ole. LVG and Mourinho ultimately failed, but they were not the wrong appointments, per se. Even with the Moyes' appointment, if the club didn't give Ole a permanent contract at the end of the season and actually appointed a competent manager at the time, we wouldn't even be talking about this. We wasted 3 years solely on that and nothing else.

Pochettino has the profile the owners are looking for and he may or may not work, I honestly don't know.

Back on topic Potter's team doing very well today against at Liverpool, looking very organised and he's coaching his team very well from the sidelines.
Poch is a massive, massive risk at the moment. If the club plans to go for Poch, then might as well take the bullet on Potter.

ForeverRed1

Might be worth a go. Got brighton playing some really good football.
Wether or not he can do it with all the egos at a club like united is another argument.

C3Pique

He's clearly 10 times the coach Ole is - whether he has the character to manage our squad would be my only question.

Red_toad

It is actually more than common. But you're also wrong in the fact that we got it wrong 4 times. We only got it wrong 2 times. Moyes and Ole. LVG and Mourinho ultimately failed, but they were not the wrong appointments, per se. Even with the Moyes' appointment, if the club didn't give Ole a permanent contract at the end of the season and actually appointed a competent manager at the time, we wouldn't even be talking about this. We wasted 3 years solely on that and nothing else.

Poch is a massive, massive risk at the moment. If the club plans to go for Poch, then might as well take the bullet on Potter.
Yet again dismissing another's opinion. Annoying habit you've got going there!
Not once have we seriously challenged for the title since Sir Alex left, winning an FA Cup should not be the barometer for a United manager in my opinion. If you're happy with an awful playing style and a FA cup or Europa league win, then Ole may well turn out ok in your opinion (if given a few more seasons and a billion spend)

Sviken

Yet again dismissing another's opinion. Annoying habit you've got going there!
Not once have we seriously challenged for the title since Sir Alex left, winning an FA Cup should not be the barometer for a United manager in my opinion. If you're happy with an awful playing style and a FA cup or Europa league win, then Ole may well turn out ok in your opinion (if given a few more seasons and a billion spend)
And? We could have challenged if an actual manager was appointed instead of Ole and given that 500 million. What even is your point here? Mou and LVG were the best appointments we could get at the time. That they failed has no bearing on the matter. If you have the ability to predict which manager would turn successful here and the next SAF, please share. Might as well go to the imbeciles on the board and divulge that secret, as a matter of fact.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Anyone saying this job is too big for him after enduring 3 years of that amateur in charge should seriously reconsider how difficult it is to coach a football team.

el3mel

When you realize that his team gave Liverpool a better fight while losing 0-2 than Manchester United..

Status
Not open for further replies.