Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I would rather keep Ole than get Rodgers. I would rather keep Ole until he quits himself.
Wow.

Definitely disagree with that one. Rodgers has done a brilliant job at Leicester, something nobody other than Ole's mum thinks about his time at United. He's implemented a style of play at Leicester that's very easy on the eye. Also nearly winning the PL with Liverpool from 4th/5th best or whatever they were is a bigger achievement (unsuccessful thankfully) than anything Ole has ever done.

hobbers

Feck no.

If Conte and Ten Hag and Poch and Rose and Zidane all ruled themselves out? Still no.

ti vu

Yes. He's far from ideal, but he can coach. He's reliant on quality of players but in a good way in comparison to Ole. Give him quality players, and team with depth, he can get the team almost/nearly their potential. He's not total bottler as seen with last year FA Cup triumph. In our current situation, with little to no better option, if he's available, he can help building the foundation for a progressive style, until better manager become available in the future.

hobbers

In our current situation, with little to no better option, if he's available, he can help building the foundation for a progressive style, until better manager become available in the future.
There's several better options.

AneRu

Well if it's any consolation, Paul Hirst earlier reported that Solskjaer will likely be dismissed after the next few games. Which tells me that they're possibly wanting to get to the International break which may give them time to bring in a interim.
There is a slight chance that the morons in charge have reasoned that it's pointless to bring the new manager in to face Spurs and City and start his rein on a negative footing. Conte ain't coming for a caretaker role if it's him so they could want to protect him and also avoid ignominy of having Liverpool forcing us into sacking another manager.

But knowing how easily swayed this lot is, if Ole wins against Spurs and Atalanta they will see it as a turn of the tide and fold their hands once more until the next crisis.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Any answer to this question will be based on absolutes and assumptions. Rogers seems like a decent and capable manager so who knows, he could flop or be a club legend.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Okay, as a Leicester supporter, I’ve seen a few things mentioned here, that I’d like to review.

Transfer policy (we have an entire team doing this). Lee Congerton is the person he (we) appointed and came with Rodgers from Celtic. Look him up, sketchy past and a bit dodgy. We’ve also spent more money than people appreciate.

Daka - £20m - looks a gem and Vardys potential replacement long term.

Soumare - £20m - Finding his feet, looks decent.

Veestegard / Bertrand - £15m / Free - awful showings so far. Who thought signing 50% of the worst defence in the league would improve ours. Shocking. Signed as backups most likely after losing Fuchs / Morgan to retirement, but used due to injuries.

Lookman - Loan - Doing ok.

Fofana - £35m - A beast of a player and could go on to be one of the best in the world, based on his potential. Signed from St Etienne and our previous Manager, Claude Puel.

Castagne - £18m - Decent player, not sure he was exactly what we needed, however he’s solid none the less.

Under - Loan - Terrible move and looked unfit and overweight through the season he was here.

Tielemans - £45m - Was on loan the previous season. Definitely not a Rodgers signing.

Perez - £30m - Definitely splits opinion of the fans, works hard but as a winger with no real pace and an inability to score, takes alot of flack. Brendan loves him though.

Praet - £20m - Looked good, dependable but didn’t really exceed in any area, now back out on loan to Italy.

Justin - £6m - Was being touted as Englands left back option ahead of Shaw before his untimely injury.

Some real hits and misses amongst them, he’s been no real different to any of our previous Managers from that respect. The core of the matchday squad was definitely in place, prior to his arrival. You could argue that Puel, who played awful football was responsible for the rebuild. Maddison, Ricardo, Tielemans and recommending Fofana.

Tactics - We have adapted styles, depending on who we’re playing. More tinkering than the Tinker Man himself. This has lead to some great victories for us, against yourselves, Manchester City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal etc. On the flip side, we’ve been awful at times and lost to 4-2 to the likes of Bournemouth which started our first collapse. His reluctance to use Iheanacho at the start of this season was detrimental to us, as he out scored Vardy last year and we’ve improved since he returned to the team. He’s tried to get N’Didi playing a less destroyer, more progressive style and it doesn’t really work.

At times we keep the ball and play overly safe, which is really boring to watch.

We can’t defend set pieces at all and that’s been an issue for a few years, simple things like going back to basics and putting people on posts might help this.

He’s come under criticism from the fans, and even the more semi entitled Leicester fans have question him and wanted him sacked during parts of the last 3 years, more so for the style of football, which hasn’t always been free flowing attacking stuff like many believe. At times it’s been slow and ponderous, with us looking to retain possession and not concede.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
No worries mate, I completely understand your frustrations.
It is probably a bit over the top and childish. I’ve felt for a long time that Rodgers will be the man our board will go for. It seems like a very typical move from Woodward/Glazer at this stage.

He is an improvement on OGS. On that I am sure most of us will agree. But I do think he is significantly below the coaches at the clubs we will be competing against. A good coach manages to take advantage of opportunities when they arise. In my opinion, except for the FA-cup win last year, Rodgers has failed every single time there was an opportunity:

He failed to exploit a great opportunity in 13/14 with Liverpool. Ferguson was gone and for a few years the level in the PL was quite low (14-16). Liverpool had a great opportunity in 13/14 with probably the best center forward in the world.

Lack of structure and balance made Liverpool conceed 50 goals. People here love to point fingers at Gerrard slipping. I do too. But you dont win the league conceding 50 goals. Even with poor players, that is mostly about poor structure and balance.

I also think he has failed in the league with Leicester. The expectation at Leicester should be to finish first after the top six, even competing with Spurs for the 6th. Normally you could argue that finishing 5th is good and an example of him overachieving. In my opinion, that is to simple.

For the past two seasons four of the six clubs with significantly more resources than Leicester have been really poor. A very good manager would, under these circumstances, make it to the top four. Like Pochettino did with Spurs.

I think some fail to see that because they underestimate (or are not aware) of the resources at Leicester. Financially they are significantly below the top five, at a similar level to Spurs, but significantly above the rest. Furthermore, their owner, management and recruitment team are very good. Maybe even the best in the league next to Liverpool. The foundation for a manager to be successfull is great!

I dont think his teams looks impressive as a unit either. In my opinion, the «quality of football» (structure, how they defend, press, buildup play/transition) at Southampton, Leeds and Brighton is better than at Leicester. So far this year even West Ham looks better as a team (and not much less proactive and attacking either).

In summary, I think he is an average PL coach. At Man Utd we need a good one.

An average coach/manager with a «long term plan» at this stage will probably seal our faith as a club significantly below Liverpool and Man City for a longer period of time than I ever imagined. I could see Rodgers sticking around for quite some time talking about the longer term when failing to win anything.

If we hire Rodgers my bet is that Man Utd, as a top club, will be largely irrelevant for the next decade.

Strongly recommend this:

https://www.google.no/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-fc-brendan-rodgers-manager-leicester-city-celtic-fsg-john-henry-epl-a9142616.html?amp

Last edited:

Redfrog

Saint Stevie bottled it for Liverpool under Brendan's watch. As for Leicester City, did they not exceed all reasonable expectations by being in the top four conversation?

Still, it would have to be Conte over Rodgers if we really do have the two to choose from.

This is how I rank the purported options right now:

Ten Hag > Zidane > Conte > Rodgers > Pocchetino
Maybe for Leicester, but being in the top 4 by a very confortable margin and still crumble at the end is a bottle job, no matter how you see it…it shows you that the pressure gained all the team and it reflects badly on the manager…a bit as we crumbled when we were first under Ole.

Ten Hag is not proved in a big league but I reckon he is a very exciting prospect of a manager. Zidane had never managed an other club then Real, even if it’s probably the toughest one to manage, he was in a club he knows inside out.
What I like about Conte is that he won the league everywhere he has been and did a good job with Italy as well. He is probably the safest bet short term and he won’t take any sh*t from our incompetent board.

Last edited:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He’s come under criticism from the fans, and even the more semi entitled Leicester fans have question him and wanted him sacked during parts of the last 3 years, more so for the style of football, which hasn’t always been free flowing attacking stuff like many believe. At times it’s been slow and ponderous, with us looking to retain possession and not concede.
This.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
As for Leicester City, did they not exceed all reasonable expectations by being in the top four conversation?
Maybe. But was it due to Rodgers and Leicester being great or Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea and Spurs (even Liverpool last year) being quite poor during this time?

Leicester spend a lot of money. And they spend it smart (not due to Rodgers). You would expect them to be the best team outside the top six. So when a few team in the top six struggle, Leicester should be the team that break into top six.

Redfrog

The club is doing what fans have been asking for a long time which is having a clear direction and idea that should be followed. The idea and direction is to play attacking football and youth development. Rodgers fits into that more than Conte
What is that direction ? Hire managers we have no chance to win the league with ? The board is doing a great job then !

Waynne

The standards at this club has really dropped if threads entertaining the idea of Brendan Rodgers as Man United manager starts popping up.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well, Rodgers is the type of manager who I don't rate his recruitment ability to rebuild the squad but if you give him very good squad, he can actually challenging the league. It is almost like what he did to Liverpool when he had Gerrard and Suarez, he was actually challenging the league but as soon Suarez left and Gerrard past his best, he had no clue what to do to rebuild his squad and collapsed. Even his main players at Leicester are not really came down to his recruitment but actually came from the previous managers. I heard he has no plan B so if his plan A doesn't work then he's done which is my big concern and also one of the main reason why he bottled his top 4 chances a lot in the past. He is not exactly my preference as I prefers Ten Hag but if we somehow hire him then I can see some positivity how he can brings us to success but at the same time I can see some negativity how it won't work. More like mix feeling since I am note entirely convinced. But I consider him as the current best British manager/coach.

Bratt

Voted yes.
Ten Hag is my first choice, but I think this guy would be my second, as weird as it sounds.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He's nowhere near as bad an option as some are making out. All the managerial options have question marks over them, that would be the case for anyone not named Pep or Klopp right now.

Conte has the same questions, for different reasons, but is the only proven winner at PL level. Take him out of the equation and we'll have to take a punt on somebody, simple as that. You can still take an educated punt based on good investigation, which is exactly what I hope the club are doing. Personally wouldn't mind Conte, Potter, Ten Hag, or Rodgers.

I've got a feeling Potter will reach the top level but that is just a hunch. He'd be the choice that would get me excited even if it is a big gamble. The type of manager that will go Spurs, do really well, and we'll complain we didn't go for him when he's happy to stay at Spurs and not come here when he's proven.

AndySmith1990

He had Liverpool playing incredible football, and while people mock him for throwing the title away, he done very well to even get them in a position where they were so close to winning it. He's won an FA Cup at Leicester, they also play good football, and he only narrowly missed out on getting them into the CL last season. When they battered us the other week I know which team looked the better coached, and it was the one that cost a hell of a lot less to assemble.

When all is said and done, he's so vastly superior in comparison to our DNA FC manager that it's laughable not to consider him a decent choice based on merit alone. The only reason I could think of to dismiss him is the fact he's managed our fiercest rivals.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
If he changed his name to Brendino Rodgerio, would it excite any a little more?

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Wow.

Definitely disagree with that one. Rodgers has done a brilliant job at Leicester, something nobody other than Ole's mum thinks about his time at United. He's implemented a style of play at Leicester that's very easy on the eye. Also nearly winning the PL with Liverpool from 4th/5th best or whatever they were is a bigger achievement (unsuccessful thankfully) than anything Ole has ever done.
Didn't Leicester fans this season wanted him gone?

He's a decent manager but good god definitely not what we need right now and certainly not one that would be challenging the likes of Klopp and pep.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Why not? He is a beautiful human being with great character.
Hypothetically, would you sacrifice Denmark for United? Hjulmand would be a pretty interesting choice for United.

Last edited:

United in sin

I'd take him. Liecester plays some of the best football in the league IMO. My only concern is that Liecester lack a killer instinct but with our superior squad that shouldn't be a problem. Liverpool played some hard rock football under him

United in sin

Is this how bad things have got that we are considering a former Liverpool Manager? Hes a decent manager no doubt but his ties to pool surely rule him out and i think there are better options out there. Some tied up like him and some available.
Who cares that he managed Liverpool? There's only so many high quality managers around and they've all been around

mu4c_20le

The fact that Leicester fans hardly seem arsed about this says it all.

Mike Smalling

Hypothetically, would you sacrifice Denmark for United? Hjulmand would be a pretty interesting choice for United.
Not really. First of all, I think Hjulmand should take this Denmark team to the World Cup. Depending on the draws, we could realistically make a quarter-final, and with a bit of luck maybe more.
Second, I am not necessarily convinced Hjulmand is a great club manager. His only stint outside Denmark is at best inconclusive. He has done exceptionally well with the national team, but has also had pretty good conditions. He inherited a very good squad with great character. The United job would be an entirely different animal.

Damon1559

Yes.

How can you religiously back Ole for 3+ years and say no to him? He wouldn't be my ideal replacement but a definite upgrade on what we have.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Not really. First of all, I think Hjulmand should take this Denmark team to the World Cup. Depending on the draws, we could realistically make a quarter-final, and with a bit of luck maybe more.
Second, I am not necessarily convinced Hjulmand is a great club manager. His only stint outside Denmark is at best inconclusive. He has done exceptionally well with the national team, but has also had pretty good conditions. He inherited a very good squad with great character. The United job would be an entirely different animal.
He wouldn't be a slam dunk appointment for sure. It would be interesting to see for me, as someone who really rates Hjulmand but no emotional attachment to United, nothing on the line as an oppo fan. It didn't go to plan for him at Mainz but it's interesting that they initially saw him as the man to take the mantle immediately after Klopp and Tuchel. Looking at his work with Denmark, I can see what they were seeing in him back then.

Anyway, Rodgers is a decent manager. He's better than Ole, but if being better than Ole is the bar, then there are plenty of managers to choose from. Appointing him isn't really something that makes me sit up and take notice. Conte is who I fear. If you pass on him, I'd be kind of relieved.

El Jefe

He's not my first choice but if we ended up with him I wouldn't mind. A couple of years ago it would have been a resounding no but he's really grown on me despite Leicester's collapses at the end of the last two PL seasons.

What's impressed me most is his tactical flexibility, he's probably played every formation there is, 3 at the back and 4-4-2 diamond to name a couple and had Leicester playing possession football as well as counter attack against some of the bigger teams. He was initially only seen as an attacking coach but has found a way to be compact and resolute at the back while still maintaining his attacking qualities.

Perhaps the most important quality as a manager is his ability to improve players. He always gets players playing at or close to their peaks, especially the younger ones. He'd do wonders with Sancho, Greenwood and Rashford as well as the established stars like Bruno and Ronaldo. What he's done with Harvey Barnes, Justin and Iheanacho is truly outstanding.

Like I said, I'd probably have him at third or fouth choice but he would still be a very good option.

fastwalker

So, with Solskjaer’s reign now seemingly deep into the ‘unsalvageable’ stage, and many managers around Europe touted as possibilities to take over, what does the Caf think about the prospect of Brendan Rodgers becoming the next permanent manager of Manchester United?

I freely admit that I’m a huge fan of his and really warmed to him with how he has repaired his reputation in the game and, more importantly, enhanced his CV since his sacking by Liverpool back in 2015. His Swansea and Liverpool teams played beautiful, if naive, football (I genuinely believe peak Rodgers’ Liverpool were prettier on the eye than peak Klopp’s Liverpool, playing scintillating football seemingly every week, no matter the opposition) and his body of work at Celtic looks more impressive by the day considering the state of the Glasgow club since his departure.

His feats at Leicester need no introduction to followers of the Premier League, with superb league finishes considering their budget constraints compared to those teams around them, and he’s added silverware to boot, with terrific wins at Wembley against Tuchel’s Chelsea and Guardiola’s City in the past six months. Regular wins against the traditional ‘top 6’ in the past 2.5 seasons, all the while playing brilliantly-coached, progressive football, Rodgers has really put his name forward as a genuine consideration for any of the Premier League’s elite clubs should they need a new manager any time soon.

There are question marks, of course: his Liverpool connections; his so-so record in Europe; his personality not being to everyone’s liking (personal opinion and not football-related, that, for me); his ability to manage a dressing-room full of superstars.

So, do you think he’d be able to a) bring his style of high-pressing, high-intensity football to this United squad, and b) be successful doing it?

P.S. Can any of the mods at a poll to the thread title? Ta.
Really well written post. Great arguments. However, it is hard to get past the tribalism of football with this one. It is for that reason that we never do direct transfer business with Liverpool. To be seen to be taking one of their cast offs sticks in my craw to be honest. Not only that, a bit like Michael Owen, he will never truly be accepted. We all know that. As soon as there is a downturn in performance, fans will be be baying for blood and the board, fearful of fan wrath will dispatch him without a backward glance and we will be back to square one.

That said, I do rate Rogers and think he has come on leaps and bounds since Liverpool and is a genuinely good manager. I just do not think he will ever be given the chance to succeed here. I think he would be better off with the Arsenal job or maybe Tottenham. I think Spurs would be a terrific fit for Rogers.

Statue of Limitations

Is he a better manager than Ole? Yes.
Is he the right man to take us forward, back to our greatest heights? No.

Our next managerial signing is crucial, if we get it wrong we will be even further behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.