• Yes

Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Infra-red

I'm not really a fan. He's a capable coach, although not top level and obviously below Conte and Tuchel (never mind Klopp and Guardiola). My biggest problem, though, is with him personally - I find him utterly unbearable.

captaincantona

Two points:

1) Other managers took over Liverpool during bad periods and managed to win things. Aside from Klopp who actually turned it around there, the likes of Benitez and Houllier came away with trophies as well from less than stellar sides. Whereas Rodgers' most noteable achievement from the three and a bit years he was there was being the guy in charge of arguably the most spectacular title run-in implosion in PL history.

2) Actually quite a lot of Leicester fans criticise Rodgers. As one Leicester fan alluded to on the previous page, his tactics were criticised in both their top four challenge collapses. And again this season he has recieved criticism for refusing to start Inheacho (who was excellent for them last season) even as they were playing poorly. And as both that Leicester fan and the one above pointed out, he inherited the very good squad he is working with. This wasn't some rebuild on his part.

He's done okay at Leicester but failing at Liverpool, doing well at a club even you say doesn't count and then doing okay at Leicester shouldn't be enough to make someone Manchester United manager.
Points taken.
I’m not gonna argue with a Leicester fan on how he has done only to say that I wouldn’t agree that he inherited a top 4 squad. A decent squad who have performed as expected I would say...losing Chilwell and Maguire would be a disaster for any back four but if Utd had a squad of that quality I wouldn’t be expecting any manager to work miracles.

the Liverpool thing as well...think of their drought...Rafa won stuff alright but Rodgers was decent. I guess I’m saying he would probably get the type of support he would need here to get the players in he wants and he would be in a position to compete on a somewhat even keel.

He is certainly in a category of “best of the rest” for me outside the top tier of managers - none of whom are available.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Rodgers won't compete with Klopp, Pep or Tuchel for the big trophies.

Our squad has plenty for Conte to work with, it's just a few of the PR darlings don't fit into his style.

I want the very best for United, not just what fits a failing culture.

Also, we don't have a style of football. Just names on a teamsheet.
I didn’t say our style of football. I said our players style. Conte would need a lot longer to turn it around as not many of our current players fit into his mould.

Rodgers could compete with this quality of players.

The Oracle

Maintan? More like start. Rodgers is a good manager but he's an absolute cringe monster and I'm not convinced he'll ever be an elite level coach.
There is no doubt that he can be cringeworthy at times.
Despite his cringe, he still delivers when it matters: 7 Finals across his career, 7 victories.

Those 7 victories alone tell you that he is a proven winner. Even if you are not convinced with him being 'An elite level coach'.

Of course Ole would dismiss those 7 victories in an instant, after all 'Trophies are just an ego thing' right?*

*If that 'Trophies and ego's' quote isn't more cringeworthy than anything Rodgers has ever said then I don't know what is?

UPDATE:
If he hadn't done so already, Ole Gunnar Solskjær has now outdone Brendan Rodgers' long list of cringeworthy quotes, with this:

(Referring to Man Utd's collapse against Liverpool on Sunday)
"It felt like we were a boxer being punch drunk. We got knocked down in 1st. We had a chance, we conceded, we wanted to sort it out but we went open. See Tyson Fury when he gets knocked down. It’s remarkable how calm he is. He counts to 6,7,8, gets up. We got up too early."

:lol:

Get this impostor out of our club immediately!

Last edited:

FatTails

In a world where my only choices are Ole or Brendan Rodgers, I’d take him. But there are better options out there.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It was mostly during the period when Rangers were playing in the lower leagues. He had zero competition for the title and cups.
He then continued to win when Rangers returned, and has since been successful at Leicester, picking up more honours. It’s interesting to see how Celtic are doing now he’s not there.

captaincantona

He then continued to win when Rangers returned, and has since been successful at Leicester, picking up more honours. It’s interesting to see how Celtic are doing now he’s not there.
When Rangers returned from a lower division with a squad that was still a level off competing? Listen no disrespect to Celtic but let’s be honest, it was the type of job that not winning everything would say more about him than winning everything.

lilcurt

I didn’t say our style of football. I said our players style. Conte would need a lot longer to turn it around as not many of our current players fit into his mould.

Rodgers could compete with this quality of players.
He has no evidence of competing with that quality. Our weakest point, defence, is something he is also poor at organising. Look at his defensive record in his best Liverpool season as an example.

Completely disagree and think you are being short sighted on our squad. Conte could make a back 5 from our squad, would love Martial, Ronaldo and Greenwood. Would be fine with our midfield options till the summer.

You are just jumping on the media bang wagon without backing up what wouldn't work... Just like the club want you to.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Two points:

1) Other managers took over Liverpool during bad periods and managed to win things. Aside from Klopp who actually turned it around there, the likes of Benitez and Houllier came away with trophies as well from less than stellar sides. Whereas Rodgers' most noteable achievement from the three and a bit years he was there was being the guy in charge of arguably the most spectacular title run-in implosion in PL history.

2) Actually quite a lot of Leicester fans criticise Rodgers. As one Leicester fan alluded to on the previous page, his tactics were criticised in both their top four challenge collapses. And again this season he has recieved criticism for refusing to start Inheacho (who was excellent for them last season) even as they were playing poorly. And as both that Leicester fan and the one above pointed out, he inherited the very good squad he is working with. This wasn't some rebuild on his part.

He's done okay at Leicester but failing at Liverpool, doing well at a club even you say doesn't count and then doing okay at Leicester shouldn't be enough to make someone Manchester United manager.

I actually think he’s historically been underrated on here. I had a few conversations last season about him vs Ole, and at this point in their careers I think he’s definitely more proven.

I don’t think the title race season is a negative against him tbh. He took over at Liverpool at the start of the 12’ season, where they’d just finished 8th in the league, within two seasons he got them to second and made up like 30 points. He deserves credit for that, where he deserves criticism for his Liverpool stint is for how he approached the third season, I don’t understand what his thought process was there and a lot of his decisions were baffling, even without the benefit of hindsight.

He’s done a good job at Leicester, won the FA cup and decent league finishes. It’s true he missed out on top 4 but he’s competing with clubs with deeper squads and better resources, while dealing with tricky injury problems.
This was a post I made the other day from another thread, I wouldn’t call him a failure at Liverpool (though not a success either which is kinda paradoxical).

He took over a pretty fecked up Liverpool side and had a very quick turnaround, while playing attractive expansive football. Benitez and Houllier both took over top 4 sides. (I’m not saying the sides were great, but they were more competitive than the side Rodgers took over).

ConteIsLife

RodgersIsLife was taken
He's a wonderful, beautiful human being with great character.

But no, we need a world class manager which we've refused to get since SAF retired.

bosskeano

With the array of attacking talent at his disposal along with his attacking minded football, United would be an ideal situation for Rodgers and for how United have played throughout the history of the club.

HOWEVER...his style of football is very much possession based and i don't think we have the midfield to play that style UNLESS he gives Donny a chance which probably would happen. He would clearly have to sort out the midfield in order to make his style a success at United.

We all want attacking, organized football and without question Rodgers would bring that with him. Clearly there would be sections of supporters that would secretly want him to fail b/c of his time at Liverpool but fukng hell he's not a scouser so who gives a shit that he managed them.

paulscholes18

No, especially after Leicester have messed up in the last 2 seasons when it was easier to make Champions League football. Fair enough once but a top manager would have made sure it didn't happen again the following season.

look at Bielsa's Leeds they blew a good lead in the Championship in his 1st season then made sure it didn't happen again and got promoted.

Tuchal lost a CL final then the following season got to the final again and won it.

SAF in 11/12 we blew a 8 point lead with 6 games to go, next season won the league.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
No, especially after Leicester have messed up in the last 2 seasons when it was easier to make Champions League football. Fair enough once but a top manager would have made sure it didn't happen again the following season.

look at Bielsa's Leeds they blew a good lead in the Championship in his 1st season then made sure it didn't happen again and got promoted.

Tuchal lost a CL final then the following season got to the final again and won it.

SAF in 11/12 we blew a 8 point lead with 6 games to go, next season won the league.
Agree with this.

Abraxas

With the array of attacking talent at his disposal along with his attacking minded football, United would be an ideal situation for Rodgers and for how United have played throughout the history of the club.

HOWEVER...his style of football is very much possession based and i don't think we have the midfield to play that style UNLESS he gives Donny a chance which probably would happen. He would clearly have to sort out the midfield in order to make his style a success at United.

We all want attacking, organized football and without question Rodgers would bring that with him. Clearly there would be sections of supporters that would secretly want him to fail b/c of his time at Liverpool but fukng hell he's not a scouser so who gives a shit that he managed them.
You can say this for every potential manager though. There isn't one out there where we can categorically say our squad is suited to their style. Not Conte, Rodgers or Ten Hag.

Mainly because what is our style? We don't have one. You can say maybe that we should be a counter-attacking team because that's what in theory we should be suited to but how can Man Utd be a side like that against Watford, Aston Villa, Crystal Palace etc. It's clear that we cannot really do that except in specific circumstances.

Whoever comes in has to implement a pretty big change. The first job is to get something that actually works with these players. I don't think it will be about wider philosophy at first.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Poll now added.

I expect this one to be as divisive as the Conte one, arguably even more so against Rodgers, but I still believe he’d do a brilliant job with our current squad. Conte would require a) signings to fit his system, and b) current squad members - particularly some attackers - not getting a look-in at all due to said system.

Rodgers is adaptable, tactically-flexible and would no doubt get our attacking players playing fast, cohesive football. He could walk into Carrington tomorrow and get us playing effective football within a fortnight with formations the squad are already familiar with. The transition to Rodgers as our manager would be relatively straight-forward in comparison to other managerial options. That’s not a deal-breaker for the others, mind; just something that’s worth taking into consideration.

Blood Mage

Please no. People have already forgotten his spectacular collapse at Liverpool. Plus being a former Pool manager should disqualify him immediately but this club has no soul or standards anymore. Feck it why not just approach FSW?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Poll now added.

I expect this one to be as divisive as the Conte one, arguably even more so against Rodgers, but I still believe he’d do a brilliant job with our current squad. Conte would require a) signings to fit his system, and b) current squad members - particularly some attackers - not getting a look-in at all due to said system.

Rodgers is adaptable, tactically-flexible and would no doubt get our attacking players playing fast, cohesive football. He could walk into Carrington tomorrow and get us playing effective football within a fortnight with formations the squad are already familiar with. The transition to Rodgers as our manager would be relatively straight-forward in comparison to other managerial options. That’s not a deal-breaker for the others, mind; just something that’s worth taking into consideration.
Can't be more wrong about Conte. Rodgers is good but let's not belittle Conte stating some random baseless things.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If he ever becomes that our manager, that account will absolutely hit the jackpot. :lol:
It actually used to be a really funny account, but sort of died when the owner started just using it to not-so-subtly air their football views.

GregM40

Decent manager but absolute cringebag.

I remember when he reinstalled red nets at Anfield, and the corner flags. Urgh.

Leicester not exactly pulling up trees this season either.

Sviken

Poll now added.

Rodgers is an incredibly risky choice at the moment. The biggest problem this team has at the moment is its defence. No doubt he'd be better than Ole at organizing it, but he is still severely lacking in that regard. During his Liverpool tenure he basically played ping pong with the opposition on who can score more goals. I just do not understand why this club would prefer Rodgers when someone like Conte is available (aside from the obvious reasons we all know). In any other situation I agree, but we have a shot at a real manager of Klopp and Pep's caliber, no matter what you think of his playing style and we're going for a decent manager who is yet to seriously impress.

fergosaurus

I'd take him if we can't get the likes of Ten Hag, Conte or Zidane but it would be quite underwhelming. Plus the Liverpool connection makes it even less palatable.

AnderHerrera

I think Rodgers is a really good manager, but just thinking about us hiring a former Liverpool manager (who they sacked to get someone better) just after they smashed us 5-0 at home makes me wanna cry..

We're already a laughing stock in European football, with just a FA-cup trophy and Europe League trophy in the bag from the last decade. Take a look at our competitors in the same time period (Since Fergie retired):

Chelsea: PL trophy 14/15, PL trophy 16/17, FA Cup 17/18, League cup 14/15, Europe League 12/13, Europe League 18/19 and Champions League 20/21

Man City: PL trophy 13/14, PL trophy 17/18, PL trophy 18/19, PL trophy 20/21. They have also won the league cup 6 times since 2013.

People still don't want Conte who is available on the market and has proven himself to be a real trophy collector the last decade. Mourinho was on his way down as a manager when we hired him, but Conte is nothing like that. He still has a lot to prove as a manager, but he is also flexible when it comes to tactics. He won't just play 343 because he has done it before with success, maybe he will see that a 433 formation is the best suitable for our squad.

DutchCruijff

I don't want Rodgers for other reasons but I hate this attitude. How many titles did Nagelsmann win before Bayern took him? How many titles for Pochettino before PSG took him? Let me guess they aren't good enough for us are they. There are countless other examples of big teams taking managers that haven't won trophies, is it preferable? I'm sure, is it the be all and end all? No. But I forgot we are the superior club to all these other big clubs aren't we and all we do is look down our nose at them in our superiority.
Bayern have the luxury of playing in a one team league.

Pochettino? Uhh, there's already a good chance he's gone by the end of the season.

Poor examples.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd prefer someone else but of course I'd take him over Ole. Rodgers is a very good manager.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
How anyone can look at Klopp, Pep and Tuchel managing our rivals and want this guy is only telling me they are blind to the competition in front of us.

He's a good manager but not the guy we should be going after if we want to win things and make our rivals feel the heat of playing againt us again. He'll fecking No I voted!!

sparx99

He still had a massive head start. The FA cup success is somewhat impressive but Arsenal have a won a bunch in recent years and they don’t seem great. I’m not sure it’s a particularly sold barometer.

That’s not to say he hasn’t shown he’s a decent manager. Can he compete at the very top? I don’t know. Definitely better than Ole though.

Devil may care

There is no doubt that he can be cringeworthy at times.
Despite his cringe, he still delivers when it matters: 7 Finals across his career, 7 victories.

Those 7 victories alone tell you that he is a proven winner. Even if you are not convinced with him being 'An elite level coach'.

Of course Ole would dismiss those 7 victories in an instant, after all 'Trophies are just an ego thing' right?*

*If that 'Trophies and ego's' quote isn't more cringeworthy than anything Rodgers has ever said then I don't know what is?

UPDATE:
If he hadn't done so already, Ole Gunnar Solskjær has now outdone Brendan Rodgers' long list of cringeworthy quotes, with this:

(Referring to Man Utd's collapse against Liverpool on Sunday)
"It felt like we were a boxer being punch drunk. We got knocked down in 1st. We had a chance, we conceded, we wanted to sort it out but we went open. See Tyson Fury when he gets knocked down. It’s remarkable how calm he is. He counts to 6,7,8, gets up. We got up too early."

:lol:

Get this impostor out of our club immediately!
I'm not defending Ole, if he cared as much about United as he claimed he'd have the humility to walk away as he's miles out of his depth, but Rodgers has won one trophy of note and that's the FA cup, no league titles at the top level and no runs of note in Europe. Ole is definitely not the guy, I'm just not sure Rodgers is either.

bosskeano

Conte would sort things out defensively and structure wise but i can't see us playing 352 effectively with this group nor do i see Conte being a guy that is around more than a couple years. Yes, he's won in the past but i just get too much of a Jose vibe with this guy and i don't want that sort of negativity shit at the club.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Voted no on the basis that even though I'd obviously take him over Ole, there are too many managers I'd prefer.

Even someone like Potter (who hasn't done as much as Rodgers) hasn't had the same opportunities as Rodgers, so I don't currently know it's beyond him to be an elite manager. Whereas with Rodgers I've seen enough to know that's the case.

FatTails

On top of all the other reasons people mentioned, Rodgers played with a back 3 often at Leicester, including when they thrashed us a couple of weeks ago.

I’ve been told by people on here that a back 3 is the football equivalent of cancer, or even worse, pineapple on pizza. Surely we can’t have that here?

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
His Liverpool side was good. They played good football to boot.
I think his last 14 months there, of what I saw of them, they played quite awful football. Very slow build up, a lot of possession at the back between defence and goalie, just very tumescent.

But since his Liverpool days, I am sure he has matured. I always got the impression at Liverpool, he sort of felt he didn’t belong, like it was a far too big a step up, so tried to compensate by trying to take charge of all aspects of managing to prove he could do it. So that led to the big problems they had with transfers where he would not work with a sporting director, so they had that mad committee, which lead to far to many poor transfers. I think his time at Celtic and now Leicester has allowed him to grow and gain that experience and become a better manager.

Suitable for United? Not if Conte is available.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Saw an interview with Glen Johnson who said Rafa Benitez is a better manager than Rodgers was. According to him, Rodgers had more fun and intense training sessions but Rafa knew how to get the best out of his players better than Rodgers did.

Status
Not open for further replies.