• No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Did anybody else find the article/tweet strange yesterday when it said that United will convince supporters on Rodgers first? What was the thinking behind it?

I'm probably being a bit of a conspiracy theorist, but I'm wondering if the wheels are in motion already. The leak about Rodgers being available right now (dangling the carrot) then you go on social media and there's polls and all sorts from fans groups etc. Might just be talking rubbish (probably) but I'm wondering if we're seeing the beginning of it right now.

Ralph1386

I'm probably being a bit of a conspiracy theorist, but I'm wondering if the wheels are in motion already. The leak about Rodgers being available right now (dangling the carrot) then you go on social media and there's polls and all sorts from fans groups etc. Might just be talking rubbish (probably) but I'm wondering if we're seeing the beginning of it right now.
I was also thinking there could be something happening behind the scenes, so you might be right.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why isn't he sacked yet and Brendan Rodgers is given the job in the hottest of hotseats!?

The Northern Irishman is a tactical genius who Manchester City have already earmarked as the Pep replacement. He's Worked under Mourinho and travelled all over Spain and the World developing his coaching style and tactics. Manchester United should be all over him. Top top manager who has a release clause in his Leicester City contract

I guarantee with Rodgers we will be dominating games and playing some lovely football. He plays with wingers and a variation of 4-4-3 or 4-4-2 the diamond Christmas tree formation.

a better coach than Zidane. And Premier League proven unlike Zidane and Ten Haag who relies on the set up of Ajax.

the reasons above are exactly why the United board won't go for Rodgers. They are accepting mediocrity and don't want to spend money required to get a top manager.

standards on the floor, United in the mood! No longer a serious football club. No wonder Ronaldo wants to leave this shower at the end of the season. I can't blame him!

why did the Glaziers Out protests stop? They was starting to work and gain momentum and traction.. they needed to continue
Give it a few more losses in the next few games when the players "down tools" for the 3 Stooges (Ole, Carrick and McKenna) and you'll all be begging for a bit of Brendan Rodgers Sunshine. Anyone But Ole! (ABO)

Honestly don't understand why people are bothered he managed Liverpool? So did Busby have a Liverpool connection.. it's not like he's a Liverpool Legend, they sacked him when he almost won them the league (before Klopp took over his foundations he built). There should be no loyalty there. Actually the opposite to prove the scousers wrong

there's a reason Manchester City want Rodgers as the Pep replacement in a few years. He's an elite manager who will whip Manchester United underachieving primadonnas into shape.. with having a manager with a tactical plan and idea on how to play football and organise a team.. it'll be like a breath of fresh air!

plus Brendan Rodgers whole family are Manchester United mad fans in Northern Ireland Georgie Best country.
This is definitely Rodgers' account on the caf. :lol:

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Give it a few more losses in the next few games when the players "down tools" for the 3 Stooges (Ole, Carrick and McKenna) and you'll all be begging for a bit of Brendan Rodgers Sunshine. Anyone But Ole! (ABO)

Honestly don't understand why people are bothered he managed Liverpool? So did Busby have a Liverpool connection.. it's not like he's a Liverpool Legend, they sacked him when he almost won them the league (before Klopp took over his foundations he built). There should be no loyalty there. Actually the opposite to prove the scousers wrong

there's a reason Manchester City want Rodgers as the Pep replacement in a few years. He's an elite manager who will whip Manchester United underachieving primadonnas into shape.. with having a manager with a tactical plan and idea on how to play football and organise a team.. it'll be like a breath of fresh air!

plus Brendan Rodgers whole family are Manchester United mad fans in Northern Ireland Georgie Best country.
Who says City want Rodgers? Heard it plenty of times, but always to journos who Rodgers is in with. I’d be pretty sure that City are not seriously after Rodgers. He’s a good manager, but nowhere near to “elite”. He’s also shown himself to be poor in recruitment. It wasn’t until he left Liverpool that Michael Edwards was able to start his run of amazing transfers (in and out).

Also, you mention Klopp built on Rodgers’ foundations: That’s not the case. Klopp takes all the credit for where Liverpool are, with Edwards. They were in a right state when Rodgers left and it took Klopp a few up and downs to get where he got them. It honestly had nothing to do with Rodgers, quite the opposite. You’ll find very few Liverpool fans who would say Brendan laid things down for Klopp!

dinostar77

Who says City want Rodgers? Heard it plenty of times, but always to journos who Rodgers is in with. I’d be pretty sure that City are not seriously after Rodgers. He’s a good manager, but nowhere near to “elite”. He’s also shown himself to be poor in recruitment. It wasn’t until he left Liverpool that Michael Edwards was able to start his run of amazing transfers (in and out).

Also, you mention Klopp built on Rodgers’ foundations: That’s not the case. Klopp takes all the credit for where Liverpool are, with Edwards. They were in a right state when Rodgers left and it took Klopp a few up and downs to get where he got them. It honestly had nothing to do with Rodgers, quite the opposite. You’ll find very few Liverpool fans who would say Brendan laid things down for Klopp!
Jonathan Northcroft, chief football writer for sunday times has gone on record to say that City are very interested in Rodgers as a replacement for Guardiola when he leaves. But any journalist who says anything like that is automatically "a mate of Rodgers".

kps88

I’m sure we could find a similar collection of quotes from scousers whinging about Klopp last season.

Feck it, this website has literally thousands of posts tearing strips off Sir Alex Ferguson’s team selections, substitutions and general tactical acumen. Basically, don’t read much into football fans moaning online.
That's true. But it's obvious he is showing potential signs of hitting a wall with Leicester this season. The performances haven't been good enough, even when winning.

It doesn't suddenly make him a bad manager but I'd love for us to get a manager who's in top form and full of confidence. Someone whose club and their fans would be gutted to lose. I don't think we've managed that since SAF retired.

AndyMUFC86

His work at Swansea, Liverpool, Celtic and Leicester gives no indication that he's the coach to to take United from being a top four team to Champions.
[/QUOTE]
I don’t think anyone can say he definitely wouldn’t be able to take us to a title. If he was able to improve us to a similar level that he’s done at every club he’s managed I think we would be right up there with a shot.

I think Rodgers is one of the best options we could go for but unfortunately whoever we bring in is faced with taking on Pep/Klopp/Tuchel so they have a very difficult challenge.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Probably because he has overachieved at every club he’s managed
At Liverpool he «overachieved» in one out of three seasons. In the two others Liverpool got 61 and 62 points. Got fired in his forth season.

At Leicester I’m really not convinced he has overachieved. I think Leicester should be between 60 and 70 points with this squad. Vardy, Evans, Schmeichel, Ndidi, Tielesman, Soyoncu and Maddison. That is a very good core of players. Certainly well above midtable. Even their lower profile players is internationals or aspiring to be (Castagne, Pereira, Barnes, Ihenacho). Several of them players our fans have been wanting to see at Man Utd for some time.

At Celtic he is at similar level as Lennon, right?

https://www.transfermarkt.com/celtic-glasgow/mitarbeiterhistorie/verein/371

But yes, if Puel and John Kennedy is benchmark he overachieves. But I dont think that is the case!

Last edited:

IRN-BRUno

Rodgers' European record keeps getting mentioned so a more detailed look at it..

Liverpool 2012-13;
Europa League 3rd qualifying round vs Gomel 1-0 (a) and 3-0 (h)
Play-off round vs Hearts 1-0 (a) and 1-1 (h)
Group stage -
Young Boys 3-5 Liverpool
Liverpool 2-3 Udinese
Liverpool 1-0 Anzhi
Anzhi 1-0 Liverpool
Liverpool 2-2 Young Boys
Udinese 0-1 Liverpool

Round of 32 vs Zenit 0-2 (a) and 3-1 (h), out on away goals

Liverpool 2014-15;
Champions League group stage -
Liverpool 2-1 Ludogorets
Basel 1-0 Liverpool
Liverpool 0-3 Real Madrid
Real Madrid 1-0 Liverpool
Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool
Liverpool 1-1 Basel

finished 3rd behind Basel, move onto Europa League

Round of 32 vs Besiktas 1-0 (h) and 0-1 (a), lost on penalties

Liverpool 2015-16;
Europa League group stage -
Bordeaux 1-1 Liverpool
Liverpool 1-1 Sion

sacked before next game

Celtic 2016-17;
Champions League 2nd qualifying round vs Lincoln Red Imps 0-1 (a) and 3-0 (h)
3rd qualifying round vs Astana 1-1 (a) and 2-1 (h)
Play-off round vs Hapoel Be'er Sheva 5-2 (h) and 0-2 (a)
Group stage -
Barcelona 7-0 Celtic
Celtic 3-3 Man City
Celtic 0-2 Borussia Monchengladbach
Borussia Monchengladbach 1-1 Celtic
Celtic 0-2 Barcelona
Man City 1-1 Celtic

Celtic 2017-18;
Champions League 2nd qualifying round vs Linfield 2-0 (a) and 4-0 (h)
3rd qualifying round vs Rosenborg 0-0 (h) and 1-0 (a)
Play-off round vs Astana 5-0 (h) and 3-4 (a)
Group stage -
Celtic 0-5 PSG
Anderlecht 0-3 Celtic
Bayern Munich 3-0 Celtic
Celtic 1-2 Bayern Munich
PSG 7-1 Celtic
Celtic 0-1 Anderlecht

finished 3rd, move onto Europa League

Round of 32 vs Zenit 1-0 (h) and 0-3 (a)

Celtic 2018-19;
Champions League 1st qualifying round vs Alashkert 3-0 (a) and 3-0 (h)
2nd qualifying round vs Rosenborg 3-1 (h) and 0-0 (a)
3rd qualifying round vs AEK Athens 1-1 (h) and 1-2 (a), lost 3-2 on aggregate

Europa League play-off round vs Suduva 1-1 (a) and 3-0 (h)
Group stage -
Celtic 1-0 Rosenborg
Salzburg 3-1 Celtic
Leipzig 2-0 Celtic
Celtic 2-1 Leipzig
Rosenborg 0-1 Celtic
Celtic 1-2 Salzburg

Round of 32 vs Valencia 0-2 (h) and 0-1 (a)

Leicester 2020-21;
Leicester 3-0 Zorya
AEK Athens 1-2 Leicester
Leicester 4-0 Braga
Braga 3-3 Leicester
Zorya 1-0 Leicester
Leicester 2-0 AEK Athens

Round of 32 vs Slavia Prague 0-0 (a) and 0-2 (h)

Leicester 2021-22;
Leicester 2-2 Napoli
Legia Warsaw 1-0 Leicester
Spartak Moscow 3-4 Leicester
Leicester 1-1 Spartak Moscow

currently in 3rd, a point behind Legia

peridigm

His work at Swansea, Liverpool, Celtic and Leicester gives no indication that he's the coach to to take United from being a top four team to Champions.
[/QUOTE]
I agree. We're struggling to even be a top 4 team at the moment. In fact, we've finished out of top 4 more than we finished in top 4 since our last PL title. Rodgers could struggle to keep us in the top 4 too.
The PL is as competitive as ever right now. We're not finishing this season in top 4. Conte will get Spurs playing well again and Moyes seems to have West Ham improving. Subsequent seasons with West Ham's new part owner could see them improving the squad and manager.
Let's not forget New Castle. They will be in top 4 within a couple of seasons.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His transfers have typically tended to lean more on the miss than the hit side, too. Seems to be a coach who's good with what he has but maybe doesn't seem to know what to buy. At Liverpool there was the whole meme of 'Rodgers signings vs Committee signings' and at Leicester it seems to be a bit of a mix; a couple good prospects like Fofana, but then some established PL mediocrity like Perez; Vestergaard; Bertrand*...

* = Was a free transfer, tbf. I wouldn't hold this one massively against him, but the others were signed for decent figures.

tjb

Honestly don't mind him. I obviously don't like the link to Liverpool but his profile should be what we're looking for.

He has experience in using and succesfully implementing different systems in the modern game.

He understands the size and profile of the club and also has the type of character that the club are looking for as seen by his time at Liverpool.

He has experience in handling both big and smaller clubs in the premier league, knowing what it takes to be in a title challenge.

He's also looking to make a name for himself in the football world. So will put in the maximum effort to achieve success, something Jose and LVG didn't do.

He plays the brand of football we want to play. He would clearly be able to get a tune out of our attacking players.

Most managers wouldn't have the experience of a Conte or Zidane; but Rodgers has a good trajectory and evidence of tactical success. Ten Häag would be as much of a gamble, given the league he's in.

Without the Liverpool stint, I'd have been all in on this move, but I don't know if we would be able to get over that as fans. His problem at Liverpool was with replacing the talent he had lost. He wasn't very good in the transfer market back then, but when he did have the stars, he knew how to perform. We currently have the talent and by all indications, we've taken control of transfers out of the hands of the manager. It could work, but he' d need a good start.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Jonathan Northcroft, chief football writer for sunday times has gone on record to say that City are very interested in Rodgers as a replacement for Guardiola when he leaves. But any journalist who says anything like that is automatically "a mate of Rodgers".
Do you think City are likely to actually hire Rodgers?

Jezpeza

Tbf he has coached and improved players wherever he has been, and this would be his best ever squad rather than punching above.

Still think the only manager out there with the premier league acumen and big game management is Roberto Mancini.

Dont think its any good to want a unicorn land where theres some godlike manager available because there isnt anyone at the moment.

saivet

City are trying to trick us like they did with Maguire, Sanchez and Fred...

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Our owners have set Champions League qualification as a minimum for our managers. When the Top 4 cannot be achieved (or is looking impossible), they have got rid.

Do they see Rodgers as being able to deliver the fourth place trophy each year?

Telsim

A lot of people want Rodgers RIGHT NOW because they are desperate for a manager better than Ole and he is the only one who can possibly come mid season. Or at least the only one who our board in their infinite wisdom might consider. An act of desperation like that would be grave mistake. Rodgers isn't good enough. He just isn't and has proven this time and again over the years.

If we get Rodgers now, it means we don't go for prospective managers Ten Hag, Potter or Pochettino. Worse, it means potentially giving them up to our rivals years down the line. We already did that when we hired washed up managers like LvG and Mourinho. Meanwhile, when Rodgers bottles everything as he does 2 years down the line we will be in the same situation we are right now. Only this time the fans won't be as forgiving to Rodgers as they are to Ole. And who knows who will be available then? He is a recipe for disaster. Just no.

People are knee-jerking hard and want a quick fix, right now, this very moment. With Rodgers, it's a Faustian bargain. Yes, he is miles better than Ole. And he will bring change quickly. But this comes with the extremely high cost of missing out on potentially world class managers in the long term. And it has a high chance of exploding withing 2 seasons. Rodgers isn't world class and he never will be. I'll never live it down if we miss out on Ten Hag for Brendan Rodgers.

And more to the point, it's not even guaranteed that we would have to wait until summer for a good manager. Ten Hag might be more susceptible to suggestion if Ajax drops from the UCL early on. Pochettino is working at PSG and we all know how that club operates. He might be packing his bags as we speak for all we know. Potter is a massive gamble, but he is on a spectacular rise and has Brighton playing very good football. Brighton. I'd rather stick it out with Solskjaer for the time being and try for better at some point, than appoint Rodgers out of desperation and blow up again in 2 seasons. If fans have a lot of patience for Ole due to his status as a club legend, imagine what their patience would amount to for Rodgers, a former Liverpool manager. He will get blasted in the first bad spell he has. Rodgers is a short-sighted fix.

Darlington Padgett

Worse possible fit for United.
- Ex Liverpool manager
- Bottled top 4 last two seasons and a league with Liverpool
- Atrocious track record in Europe
- He's probably on sack watch right now
If you sum everything up, it might turn ugly really fast. Fans won't be patient with him.

hobbers

They're even bigger fecking idiots than we already realise if they think they can keep the fans at bay with Rodgers, patience with him will last even less time than it did with Moyes.

Obviously our fanbase have proven very easily hoodwinked by club propaganda. Those vacuous phrases about time and progress work, so long as they play on sentimentalism and nostalgia. But that was for a club legend not an ex Liverpool manager.

One trip-up under Rodgers and everyone will be calling for him to be sacked. He's not getting a half a dozen chances like Ole has, he's not even going to get one. I certainly won't be giving him any.

Walters_19_MuFc

Think you could make a poll for literally any manager and most would pick yes, simply because of the situation we're currently going through. That said, Rodgers is a good manager. Not exactly having the greatest season at Leicester to date, but he does seem to get the best out of what he has.

The reasons that makes him an attractive option is:

- Obviously has that experience at a big club in Liverpool, too, so it wouldn't be something new to him.
- Plays a 4231
- Has a set philosophy
- Flexible with systems
- Think he could turn Van de Beek into a Tielemans type of player.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Think you could make a poll for literally any manager and most would pick yes, simply because of the situation we're currently going through. That said, Rodgers is a good manager. Not exactly having the greatest season at Leicester to date, but he does seem to get the best out of what he has.

The reasons that makes him an attractive option is:

- Obviously has that experience at a big club in Liverpool, too, so it wouldn't be something new to him.
- Plays a 4231
- Has a set philosophy
- Flexible with systems
- Think he could turn Van de Beek into a Tielemans type of player.
What is that?

minoo-utd

I voted yes only because I can’t take It no more with Ole I can’t survive seeing him again whisper to Carrick and both are clueless about everything on the touch line. A one year and a half contract start from now with a long term manager in sight not the worst plan.

Statue of Limitations

Is Rodgers a better manager than Ole? Yes absolutely.
Do I want Rodgers to be our next permanent manager? Absolutely not.

There are quite a few managers out there better than Ole, achieved more too, but I wouldn't be happy with just any of them, needs to be the right move.

ZZ being my obvious dream signing.

croadyman

He wouldn't be my first choice but then there is also a small part of me who thinks he could really be motivated by how it ended with the scousers and he could really be inspired by the opportunity to manage Utd. Yes I know it probably sounds utterly mad but have just got this feeling it wouldn't be as awful as many think.

Ixion

Just to repeat something from earlier just because Leicester missed out on top 4 does not mean Rogers/they bottled it. They're competing with much bigger/better squads and facilities that over 38 games that is going to tell when it comes to fatigue, injuries etc. It's a lot easier if you have 22 internationals to call on or can buy a Bruno Fernandes in January. If Moyes' West Ham fall away it doesn't mean he bottled it. If a league was over 19 games you'd have a bigger variety of winners but over 38 the extra resources and bigger squads make a difference.

croadyman

Just to repeat something from earlier just because Leicester missed out on top 4 does not mean Rogers/they bottled it. They're competing with much bigger/better squads and facilities that over 38 games that is going to tell when it comes to fatigue, injuries etc. It's a lot easier if you have 22 internationals to call on or can buy a Bruno Fernandes in January. If Moyes' West Ham fall away it doesn't mean he bottled it. If a league was over 19 games you'd have a bigger variety of winners but over 38 the extra resources and bigger squads make a difference.
Very good point being made here

Jonty

Why isn't he sacked yet and Brendan Rodgers is given the job in the hottest of hotseats!?

The Northern Irishman is a tactical genius who Manchester City have already earmarked as the Pep replacement. He's Worked under Mourinho and travelled all over Spain and the World developing his coaching style and tactics. Manchester United should be all over him. Top top manager who has a release clause in his Leicester City contract

I guarantee with Rodgers we will be dominating games and playing some lovely football. He plays with wingers and a variation of 4-4-3 or 4-4-2 the diamond Christmas tree formation.

a better coach than Zidane. And Premier League proven unlike Zidane and Ten Haag who relies on the set up of Ajax.

the reasons above are exactly why the United board won't go for Rodgers. They are accepting mediocrity and don't want to spend money required to get a top manager.

standards on the floor, United in the mood! No longer a serious football club. No wonder Ronaldo wants to leave this shower at the end of the season. I can't blame him!

why did the Glaziers Out protests stop? They was starting to work and gain momentum and traction.. they needed to continue
Haven't seen this formation in action but it would surely accommodate Ronaldo's reduced workrate

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Are you asking because you want me to say, in order to try and prove me wrong, or because you genuinely don't know?
Are you asking me to prevent me from disagreeing?

But no, I genuinely don’t know. His football feels like a mix of Mourinho and OGS. He does not play possession football or high press. His teams often play with low intensity compared to Simeone, Conte, Klopp etc. But he is not a low block type of coach either. But his football feels more reactice than proactive.

Maybe something about pragmatic football developing young players?

red4ever 79

This is gathering more traction soon his release clause became known. As others have said he is better than Ole, but maybe not the man we were hoping for. That being said we are in a sorry state of affairs right now

RedSG

Is Rodgers a better manager than Ole? Yes
Do I want Rodgers to be our next permanent manager? Absolutely not. This is the same guy who bottled the title race with Liverpool and also the race to finish fourth. People are so desperate to get rid of ole they take anyone at this point. I we do get him, in 2-3 years time we'll be in the same situation we are now with Rodgers.

croadyman

This is gathering more traction soon his release clause became known. As others have said he is better than Ole, but maybe not the man we were hoping for. That being said we are in a sorry state of affairs right now
Yeah we are in the absolute doldrums right now but the club won't bite the bullet and make a decision

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Wait this isn't real is it??

We didn't go for a serial winner in Conte but for some god forsaken reason we think serial bottler Rogers would be a good fit?? Actually knowing how this club is run, I'm not surprised.

Can you just imagine how quickly the fans would turn on him when we hit a bad patch? As much as the OT faithful support the manager during tough times, I'm not sure there will be much support for an ex-liverpool manager.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Rodgers being a realistic option for United at the minute is stuff out of nightmares IMO. I would literally rather keep Solskjaer for 2 more years while we look for a proper replacement.

croadyman

Wait this isn't real is it??

We didn't go for a serial winner in Conte but for some god forsaken reason we think serial bottler Rogers would be a good fit?? Actually knowing how this club is run, I'm not surprised.

Can you just imagine how quickly the fans would turn on him when we hit a bad patch? As much as the OT faithful support the manager during tough times, I'm not sure there will be much support for an ex-liverpool manager.
Well at least we know the board won't be blinded by his status this time which is somewhat of a positive

Status
Not open for further replies.