g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Would you throw away the Bayern match?

Longshanks

No, it's very winnable at home to a Bayern team unlikely to get out of second gear.

Go and win it (or try to at least) and see what happens. Every chance Copenhagen and Galatassary could end in a draw with both teams realistically needing to win. And if not at least a win guarantees us a place in the Europa in the new year.

I'm not sure hoping to drop compleatly out of Europe for the sake of improving our chances In a top 4 battle is anything to look forward to much rather still be in Europe with a chance at a trophy than anything else.

Kramer

Throw the game? We’re playing Bayern Munich with Onana in goal. I would say we have a 10% chance of winning even if we gave it our all.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I don't think you can "throw away" a game at a club of our stature. However, I won't mind finishing last in this group. In fact, I would be hoping that we do.

Fingers crossed that Jimmy and his team are installed before January and are competent enough to steer the club in the right direction. My first order of business would be to start cutting the fat and shaping the shambolic squad that Ten Hag and Murtough have assembled. Just having one game a week for most weeks for the rest of the reason will help in those regards.

Get rid of Amrabat, Regullion, Varane, Pellestri, Martial & Van de Meek in January and give youngsters like Mainoo, Gore, Amad and Hanibal a chance to impress.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
What a completely absurd thread.

We should go out to win every game. If we end up finishing 3rd, so what? A half decent chance of a trophy and some good away trips for the match goers. Stop being such wet wipes.

From a footballing perspective, it gives someone like Mainoo a few more games in European competition.

Rojofiam

Of course not.

Beat them and hope that the other game goes the way it needs to.

Shady

"Throw away" like we can win if we wish. We will lose either way, as we have done every time this season against serious teams.

KeanoMagicHat

What is the point of the league campaign? The ultimate goal if you don’t win it is to finish in the Champions League.

Being in the Europa League increases the chances of being in the Champions League more than ever if you win it but also because of the new rules for co-efficients.

If you bin it off and finish 5th because us and Newcastle went out and end up missing out on the new CL places because of that, we’ll regret it. And lo and behold… we will be in the Europa League anyway next season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We don't need to throw anything away. Our present side can do that on their own

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Sad question to ask. Especially for a fan of a club with this history.
Gladly nobody else here seems to even entertain the question. You either play to win or you don’t play.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Even if we don't throw away, I am not expecting a result with the way we've played this season. I'd much rather try and play our best so that we can atleast get a respectable loss at worst and not a drubbing

el3mel

Bayern will play in 2nd gear.. Probably even rest some players too as they already have first spot in the bag. We might actually win this.. Let's fight on our chance.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Everyone who wants United to throw away this match loses the right to call United an "elite" or even "big" club. Even to think about deliberately losing a match that can see you through the CL group stage and qualify for the next round is pretty despicable. NO club ever should think this way, it's just embarassing.

Siorac

No need to throw away anything. A relaxed, confident Bayern with nothing to play for will easily overturn us anyway.

We should absolutely try our best though, on principle.

MalaysianRed7

Throwing the match is very strong language, but I’m not going to strongly disagree with this thread like everyone else. I would if we were playing Burnley after the Bayern game, but we have Liverpool away. I obviously want to win the game, but I’d make changes to freshen things up in it (Bayindir, Dalot, Varane, Reguilon, Martial etc should play). The fresh legs might help us win, and might even have a higher chance of doing so than our usual CL team considering how we’ve done in the competition this season.

Most importantly though, it’s about having maximum freshness for the Liverpool game after Bayern. I can’t handle getting destroyed again, or seeing us put no fight in as we haven’t done there for quite a while now give or take some lucky draws.

Gordon S

Understand the OP

Europa league doesn´t really do enough for us. It is many games that needs to be played to go all the way. Many good teams are in there. Long travels, games late thursday night.
It is tough and can have a negative effect on the league form. If we manage to grind ourselves all the way to the final, AND somehow manage to beat the Spanish team we will play in the final, a win would feel pretty damn good, of course. But it would still be "just the EL" Still not where we want to be.
Manage to reach the knockout stages of CL, where we actually want to be, and we will, most likely, get ridiculed by the first top quality side we face, when half the world will be watching.

Thanks for this morning mood Onana!

Jeffthered

No, we're Manchester United FC and we shouldn't doing that. But I do appreciate and in many ways, agree with the rationale. Europa League will do us no favours, but that's on the club.

tomaldinho1

What a silly question. You try to win and see what happens in the other group.

Personally I think if we end up in Europa we should play a second string but you don’t just throw games. Ever.

IRELANDUNITED

Nah.

Just go all out for the win and hope the other 2 draw.
Exactly this. If we needed an absolute miracle I’d still say go and try to win the game. I do wonder if some of these fans on here are actually United fans at all or if there is a huge number of trolls pretending to be United fans and coming on here just to post the most ridiculous shite.

Siorac

Most importantly though, it’s about having maximum freshness for the Liverpool game after Bayern. I can’t handle getting destroyed again, or seeing us put no fight in as we haven’t done there for quite a while now give or take some lucky draws.
I don't think it matters. Anfield is as close to a guaranteed defeat as it gets. There's really no point in compromising other competitions for the sake of... what? Losing 3-0 instead of 5-0?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
We should go for every trophy possible, but the thought of being stuffed by Liverpool at some point is concerning.

Also, as we discovered last season, the play off could be an absolute nightmare.

Villarreal and Roma would definitely beat us if Onana can’t save shots straight at him. Even Lukaku would have a field day.

spe88

Is this thread a wind up? :lol:
We have to go into the game with the intention to win, if we end up in the Europa just play the reserves or youth to give them the opportunity to get into the first team

Brophs

The One and Only
Course not. The Copenhagen game will be a draw. If we win we’ll go through.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
We play Pool 5 days after, so even in terms of resting players, it will be ok.

We just have to go, score 25 and concede 24

MalaysianRed7

I don't think it matters. Anfield is as close to a guaranteed defeat as it gets. There's really no point in compromising other competitions for the sake of... what? Losing 3-0 instead of 5-0?
It sounds ludicrous, but we don’t have to lose…

Obviously I prefer us to beat Bayern and qualify for the knockouts, and then beat Liverpool 4 days after. However, that’s extremely unlikely, and if I had to choose between beating Bayern to qualify for the Europa League and then losing to Liverpool or just flat out losing to Bayern and then drawing with Liverpool, I’d take the draw at Anfield all day. Needless to say, if we were to win, I don’t even know what I’d do with myself.

Also, changing things up doesn’t necessarily equate to compromising the Champions League. Take my Bayindir example - Onana has cost us 7-10 goals this season in the CL alone, can Bayindir do any worse?

Sylar

Throw away does seem to indicate we can win if we want to
.but regardless you go for the win and hope for a draw in the other game

Bayern putting a weak team and us not taking advantage especially if there is a draw in the other game would be a shitty feeling for all involved

jadaba

I don't see the appeal in simply aiming to reach UCL football, then abandoning any ambition of competing in it. If the team applies that approach then we simply do not deserve to be in the Champions League.

I'd much rather be in the Europa League and see us competing for another trophy rather than surrendering both competitions to focus on a domestic ceiling of securing a top 4 place.

Also, the idea of throwing away a major fixture in our calendar because the odds of progressing don't look great is pretty depressing. Football can be a wonderfully romantic sport and to deprive ourselves of believing and giving it everything during these kind of unlikely moments is to numb such a huge source of joy in the game.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Apart from the fact that we are unlikely to win it, even victory would be costly too if the other match doesn’t end up the way we want. We’d suffer Europa League and have the schedule destroys our fitness like last year.

This year we have been very bad with injuries, imagine throwing Europa League on top of it?

While if we throw that match, we’d crash out of Europe. But we will also escape the Europa League, which will seriously hamper our league campaign.
100% agree. In matter of fact, i would throw away Fa cup (of course because it is 6-7 games). Football is not about fighting for trophies anyway.
When i think about it; i strongly think that we should throw away league. Hear me out; if we finish in top 6 then we will either;
1) Play in CL next year so again be in huge danger of playing EL. Even if we get through in CL, we will lose against City or Real so why bother?
2) Go directly in EL which is apsolute disaster. Playing European football.....God forbid.

So, the best way for us would be to sell half of team in January, hire Solskjaer again and be a team which will sit around 10th place.
This is the way!