------------- De Gea ----------------

Valencia - Bailly - Lindelof - Rose

------------- Fabinho ---------------

--------- Herrera - Pogba ---------

Mkhitaryan --------------- Ronaldo

------------- Mbappe --------------
Just for kicks :)

hova

No ! At his age This will just cause a Block for Martial and Rashford and any other striker coming through. If Ronaldo did sign . i would imagine he would have to start every Game . Simular to iBra

Reynoldo

No ! At his age This will just cause a Block for Martial and Rashford and any other striker coming through. If Ronaldo did sign . i would imagine he would have to start every Game . Simular to iBra
iPhone controlled lingerie?

Donut

Please no. He's a short term option. We aren't going to create enough for him, he'll get frustrated and throw his hands up all the time while making the annoyed face. Ughhh :annoyed:

Pavl3n

---------Morata--------
--Ronaldo -- Greizmann
---Pogba------Herrera--
-----------DM-----------
Shaw--Baily--VicL---TonyV
-----------DDG-----------

Just for kicks ;)
No width whatsoever, but still... the artillery in that squad...
That of course would be possible only after next summer.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nothing wrong with a short term option when we're going to struggle in the short term without someone providing more goals.

dogwithabone

I just don't think we could pass the opportunity up. Indifference, love him, hate him, the fact is he wins football matches on his own.

People say he will hamper Rashford and Martial and perhaps he might but it's as though people are too concerned with seasons down the line. Why worry about the future when with Ronaldo in the side we'd have a great chance this coming season.

Wait three or four seasons to realistically compete for all the pots or be immediately elevated to among the favourites with one signing ?

gibers

No.

He is 32, paying 100 mill + for a 30+ player is dumb when we can strengthen other areas

At Madrid he stays close to the box to poach and almost all his chances are created by the best midfield and full backs in European football. He is not the monster of old that can dribble and create chances out of nothing. We do not have the same quality that Madrid have and he has only been this good because Zidane managed his Minutes extremely well. He has been pretty poor in all the seasons end because he overplayed and got injured towards the end bar this season. The EPL will make him run a lot more and involved far more body contact so he will likely get injured a lot more here.

Finally, this is the same guy that caused a strop when he wanted to leave and Blatter came out saying he was a slave at United. A slave on 100,000 a week. The fact that apparently he is trying to make Madrid pay for his tax fine also doesn't sit well with me.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
He'd win us the league, I understand why some would be against it (age, fee...) but would be absolutely magical if it happens :drool:

Prodigy24

No.

He is 32, paying 100 mill + for a 30+ player is dumb when we can strengthen other areas

At Madrid he stays close to the box to poach and almost all his chances are created by the best midfield and full backs in European football. He is not the monster of old that can dribble and create chances out of nothing. We do not have the same quality that Madrid have and he has only been this good because Zidane managed his Minutes extremely well. He has been pretty poor in all the seasons end because he overplayed and got injured towards the end bar this season. The EPL will make him run a lot more and involved far more body contact so he will likely get injured a lot more here.

Finally, this is the same guy that caused a strop when he wanted to leave and Blatter came out saying he was a slave at United. A slave on 100,000 a week. The fact that apparently he is trying to make Madrid pay for his tax fine also doesn't sit well with me.
Totally agree with this. People still think that he wins games single-haddedly, but forget that he plays for a team with superstars in every position. A team that we are miles away from atm.

We need to plan for the long term and use the money to strengthen other areas in the squad IMO.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Hopefully there will be some update momentarily.

Nuts

He'd win us the league, I understand why some would be against it (age, fee...) but would be absolutely magical if it happens :drool:
He'd have to play up front and I don't think he's a good enough CF for the PL.

I just can't see it working - hes not as good a CF as Zlatan was last year, and we'd need someone at least that good.

gibers

He'd have to play up front and I don't think he's a good enough CF for the PL.

I just can't see it working - hes not as good a CF as Zlatan was last year, and we'd need someone at least that good.

He's not a CF at all and is terrible as a CF. Every-time he was used as a CF for Madrid last year and was awful. A CF should be able to play with back to goal and bring the ball down to teammates, use their movements to open up space for teammates and link up play. That's not his game as he gets bullied when his back is to goal.

His best position is when a striker is there to create space for his second runs and occupy the defence. That is why Benzema is the perfect partner for him in every respect and why Morata never stood a chance.

CFs are like SUarez, Ibra, Lewa etc. Stikers that play on the tip. Ronaldo is closest to a second striker in term of his movement. Who will do the CF role for him? Martial? Rashford? Fellaini...?

Reactions: Invictus

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
As sure as I am that he won't leave, and that even if he did it wouldn't be for here, as well as being completely unconvinced that bringing him back would even be a good idea.... I would totally get his shirt :angel:

Given that I never get shirts, that'll probably get Woodward going to make a bid :lol:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Scoring 40+ goals in EPL will be more challenging though.
Well I mean, he 'only' got 25 this season in the league so it's not 40+ just in EPL.

But look at Ibra last season, he was on for at least 30 before his injury. Ronaldo is a few years younger and even more lethal, he'd get 30+ for another few years I reckon overall.

I understand that the people who say no want to point to us not moving on from him and hamming up the nostalgia angle as the reason we want him back and yeah, we all have fond memories of him when he was here so it'll play a part but put simply, we're a side who've struggled to score goals since SAF retired and we desperately need a lethal finisher. Ronaldo is literally as lethal as footballers get. Just as a player regardless of the United history I'd carry him from Madrid if he wanted to come.

Moonwalker

He's not a CF at all and is terrible as a CF. Every-time he was used as a CF for Madrid last year and was awful. A CF should be able to play with back to goal and bring the ball down to teammates, use their movements to open up space for teammates and link up play. That's not his game as he gets bullied when his back is to goal.

His best position is when a striker is there to create space for his second runs and occupy the defence. That is why Benzema is the perfect partner for him in every respect and why Morata never stood a chance.

CFs are like SUarez, Ibra, Lewa etc. Stikers that play on the tip. Ronaldo is closest to a second striker in term of his movement. Who will do the CF role for him? Martial? Rashford? Fellaini...?
Everything you wrote there is true, but it's just another aspect of reality that will be bent, effortlessly, in order for this fantasy to persist.

Mike09

I won't go meltdown if he doesn't come because I expect Real to sort this out by paying off his tax (I assume that is Ronaldo's motive).

However, Pogba's passes to Ronaldo = Kill moves
So why are we saying no to this??

We need a world class player - Ronaldo is a world class
We lack winning mentality in the team - Ronaldo is an experience player & a winner
We need a leadership - Ronaldo is a good example for our young players like Martial, Rashford and etc.
We need a winger & striker - Ronaldo can cover those two spots
We need someone who can score goals - Ronaldo is the best player in this

And to pay off his fees and wages, we can cover them from his shirt selling & more sponsors will come to us. There are a lot of people who isn't United fans but a big fans of Ronaldo.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I won't go meltdown if he doesn't come because I expect Real to sort this out by paying off his tax (I assume that is Ronaldo's motive).
But why is he so miffed about a measly £15m? Something very strange about the whole affair. Especially after his love in after recent CL win.

RedDevil@84

But why is he so miffed about a measly £15m? Something very strange about the whole affair. Especially after his love in after recent CL win.
There was some news that the club did not change things in contract as per new tax laws in Spain and that is the reason for this 15M so called fraud. He feels the club's mistake has damaged his reputation and put him in a fraudster list.

slir32

However, Pogba's passes to Ronaldo = Kill moves
So why are we saying no to this??

We need a world class player - Ronaldo is a world class
We lack winning mentality in the team - Ronaldo is an experience player & a winner
We need a leadership - Ronaldo is a good example for our young players like Martial, Rashford and etc.
We need a winger & striker - Ronaldo can cover those two spots
We need someone who can score goals - Ronaldo is the best player in this

And to pay off his fees and wages, we can cover them from his shirt selling & more sponsors will come to us. There are a lot of people who isn't United fans but a big fans of Ronaldo.
Pretty sure shirt sales 90% goes to adidas 10% goes to United. Shirt sales will not pay off Ronaldo's fee. Selling his brand might recoup some of that money and new sponsors like you said.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Maybe he expects something like this

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
There was some news that the club did not change things in contract as per new tax laws in Spain and that is the reason for this 15M so called fraud. He feels the club's mistake has damaged his reputation and put him in a fraudster list.
Got it. Thanks for explaining

Morpheus 7

When reading this thread, all I can hear is Jackson 5's 'I want you back'.
The last few lines of the song.
"I want you back, forget what happened then.
Oh, baby I was blind to let you go.
Cause now since I see you it is all...
I want you back
Oh, baby I need one more chance".

Could add in at the end,
"Because I fecked up my tax. Actually it's a trap, you've been played United, again!".

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
quite tiring!

What do the majority of Madrid fans think?
For what I read fans didn´t like the way or the moment.
They seem to understand that is angry with the Treasury and not with the club, so they are waiting for him to talk to clarify it, Mendes is named a lot, and there are others who assume it and already think about getting a good amount to sign young players.

Mike09

Pretty sure shirt sales 90% goes to adidas 10% goes to United. Shirt sales will not pay off Ronaldo's fee. Selling his brand might recoup some of that money and new sponsors like you said.
tsk that sucks. Do you mind to give me link or source as a proof for this though??

I didn't know that we are only getting 10% of it because I was expecting at least about 60%. But then again assume his fees is about 130m to 140m pounds, and Griezmann (well he was our first main target) is 85m while Perisic is 50m. That's pretty much about the same price combined.

slir32

tsk that sucks. Do you mind to give me link or source as a proof for this though??

I didn't know that we are only getting 10% of it because I was expecting at least about 60%. But then again assume his fees is about 130m to 140m pounds, and Griezmann (well he was our first main target) is 85m while Perisic is 50m. That's pretty much about the same price combined.
Adidas signed a deal with United 75 million pounds a season to sell shirts so the shirt sale money to my understanding goes to Adidas. Maybe United gets the money to print players name on shirt but the shirt sale itself i believe all or most goes to Adidas.

Google "can paul pogbas shirt sales pay for his transfer" and have a read of that not saying its fact but its an interesting read.

Mike09

Adidas signed a deal with United 75 million pounds a season to sell shirts so the shirt sale money to my understanding goes to Adidas. Maybe United gets the money to print players name on shirt but the shirt sale itself i believe all or most goes to Adidas.

Google "can paul pogbas shirt sales pay for his transfer" and have a read of that not saying its fact but its an interesting read.
I am just an engineer so I know nothing much about this business stuff, pardon me if I am wrong.

But let's say if that 10% is true, and after reading that, I think in Ronaldo's case, it will be different. Ronaldo has significantly more fans (non United fans) than Pogba's (non United fans), therefore I can still see us paying off Ronaldo's fees easily in at least 2 years with just shirt selling or even with the helps of new sponsors that come to us after Ronaldo joins. And United fans or supporters who don't buy the shirts every year might end up buying it if Ronaldo comes. The fees still worthy I think.

I never expected we will get a lot of shirt selling from Pogba's anyway. I expected to get more from Zlatan's. Imagine the whole Swedish football fans buying his shirt.

Yakuza_devils

It's insane that many of us want Ronaldo back with ridiculous high fees and wages at 32 years old.

The club need to be run properly and responsibly and not just throwing money at our problems. Even Real Madrid wouldn't do this and they used to be a circus club. RM now usually buy younger world class potential players or develop their own. Needless to say Bayern, Juventus, Barca wouldn't do this except maybe PSG or City.

Time and time again, it's proven that rebuilding need time and proper management, and definitely not throwing money for short term gain. Even we are one of the biggest club in the world, we should still rebuild sensibly even that will cause us not challenging for big honors in 1 or 2 years. The money for Ronaldo should be better used to strengthen and balance the squad for long term.

If Ronaldo were 26-28 years old, we should break the bank for him because he is a once in a generation special talent. But not at 32, Man Utd should be managed with better planning and vision.

Finally, I don't believe that we can afford approximately 200mil transfer fees and 400K-800K per week wages without affecting our budget to rebuild for long term. This is silly money!

slir32

I am just an engineer so I know nothing much about this business stuff, pardon me if I am wrong.

But let's say if that 10% is true, and after reading that, I think in Ronaldo's case, it will be different. Ronaldo has significantly more fans (non United fans) than Pogba's (non United fans), therefore I can still see us paying off Ronaldo's fees easily in at least 2 years with just shirt selling or even with the helps of new sponsors that come to us after Ronaldo joins. And United fans or supporters who don't buy the shirts every year might end up buying it if Ronaldo comes. The fees still worthy I think.

I never expected we will get a lot of shirt selling from Pogba's anyway. I expected to get more from Zlatan's. Imagine the whole Swedish football fans buying his shirt.
Manchester United sold 2,850,000 (#1 worldwide) shirts in 2016. Real Madrid sold 2,290,000 shirts (#2worldwide). Lets assume we sell an extra 2,290,000 shirts in 2 years (with the rough estimate of 10%) so a shirt (with name and badges) of 78pounds if you times that by 2,290,000 and work out the % my figures are just under 18m a season. We wont be selling an extra 2.2 million shirts in my opinion but we will sell extra due to fans loving the player so i can't see us recouping that money that way, adidas however will recoup their 750m with ease. Selling his brand and sponsors like you said is where they money will be made.

Mike09

Manchester United sold 2,850,000 (#1 worldwide) shirts in 2016. Real Madrid sold 2,290,000 shirts (#2worldwide). Lets assume we sell an extra 2,290,000 shirts in 2 years (with the rough estimate of 10%) so a shirt (with name and badges) of 78pounds if you times that by 2,290,000 and work out the % my figures are just under 18m a season. We wont be selling an extra 2.2 million shirts in my opinion but we will sell extra due to fans loving the player so i can't see us recouping that money that way, adidas however will recoup their 750m with ease. Selling his brand and sponsors like you said is where they money will be made.
I will just leave it to United then. If they have the money to afford him then go for him. We have the money to sign both Perisic and Griezmann so I can see that we do have the money. And I assume Perisic's wages will be 100k per week and Griezmann was probably going to ask something similar to Pogba's (290k per week), therefore to meet Ronaldo's wages shouldn't be a problem since his current one is 365k per week after tax. I don't think he will ask above 400k per week.

barmyarmy

It's insane that many of us want Ronaldo back with ridiculous high fees and wages at 32 years old.

The club need to be run properly and responsibly and not just throwing money at our problems. Even Real Madrid wouldn't do this and they used to be a circus club. RM now usually buy younger world class potential players or develop their own. Needless to say Bayern, Juventus, Barca wouldn't do this except maybe PSG or City.

Time and time again, it's proven that rebuilding need time and proper management, and definitely not throwing money for short term gain. Even we are one of the biggest club in the world, we should still rebuild sensibly even that will cause us not challenging for big honors in 1 or 2 years. The money for Ronaldo should be better used to strengthen and balance the squad for long term.

If Ronaldo were 26-28 years old, we should break the bank for him because he is a once in a generation special talent. But not at 32, Man Utd should be managed with better planning and vision.

Finally, I don't believe that we can afford approximately 200mil transfer fees and 400K-800K per week wages without affecting our budget to rebuild for long term. This is silly money!
Completely agree.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Exactly my thoughts. I really hope we are not stupid enough to bring him back for silly money whereas Real Madrid are going to lay the groundwork for dominating us the next decade again.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Its actually not insane to spend big on the world player of the year who has won 3 CLs and a Euro championship in the past 4 years. In fact, insanity would be to create some frivolous argument that we shouldn't proceed.