Wout Weghorst | Wolfsburg...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Powerful striker who has scored plenty over the last two seasons. Was talk in Spurs being interested last summer.

Not sure how his exploits would translate to another league, but in this world of few traditional #9s, he’s an interesting one.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Powerful striker who has scored plenty over the last two seasons. Was talk in Spurs being interested last summer.

Not sure how his exploits would translate to another league, but in this world of few traditional #9s, he’s an interesting one.
Pre-covid some English club would have done a Joeliton(sp?)/Haller and gifted the Bundesliga €50m for him. Hopefully people got smarter.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Can remember Bas Dost doing similar at Wolfsburg 5-6 years ago.

Really good scoring record but not sure how good his all round game is, more of a plan B option for Holland.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Can remember Bas Dost doing similar at Wolfsburg 5-6 years ago.

Really good scoring record but not sure how good his all round game is, more of a plan B option for Holland.
He doesnt get called up but is Holland's best striker. For some strange reason, Luuk de Jong gets called before him. Not United material though.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He is supposed to be really really stupid and an asshole.
He's a covidiot. Not sure if he's an asshole to be honest. I always found him a bit overdramatic.

Him not getting a call up in favor of Luuk de Jong is an absolute embarrasment honestly. He's no Van Basten, but he scores anywhere he goes.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He's a covidiot. Not sure if he's an asshole to be honest. I always found him a bit overdramatic.
I don't think he is a "covidiot" as such - he just said something stupid, but did not seem to really deny what is going on. Still proves the point that he's not very smart I think.

Him not getting called for the national team is somehow also a pattern with more Wolfsburg players - the whole team is flying under the radar a lot, both of the public as of the national coaches it seems. Third in the league and no-one is really paying attention to this team (probably because they are not fancy - they are physically strong and more or less overpower their opponents, but they don't really outplay them). He fits that team and style well, but I don't think he has it in him to play at a higher level/bigger club than Wolfsburg. If it was expected that he takes part in more demanding setups/roles than just "press and score" I don't expect him to be a success.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
There are three Wolfsburg players who would make the cut in the Premier League.

Lacroix, Arnold and Baku.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Weghorst would make it at a midtable club as well I think. Everywhere he went people said, nah, he's not good enough and everywhere they were wrong. He's like Dirk Kuyt.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He looks like a tidy player and is supposedly a very hard worker, but not elite material. Could probably do well in a top four team if their style fits him. Leipzig should probably take a look at him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
nowhere near athletic enough for england, he’d be another Haller

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
nowhere near athletic enough for england, he’d be another Haller
Dunno if he'd make it, but he's much better than Haller. Quite different as a player as well. Well apart from being tall and a striker.

Actually, Weghorst is much taller. Didnt know he was 1m98.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Im very sure that whenever a mid table club will get him, he will score 10-15 goals for them next season.. However, he is never good enough for a club competing for the Champions League in England..

drdoityourself

Wolfsburg is my favorite team in Germany and I've seen quite a few games this season and last. I like him and he suits Wolfsburg perfectly but I don't really see him at a bigger club. He might be decent for a mid level PL club at best.

Conor

I challenge you to create a thread without a pointless ellipsis in the title.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Dunno if he'd make it, but he's much better than Haller. Quite different as a player as well. Well apart from being tall and a striker.

Actually, Weghorst is much taller. Didnt know he was 1m98.
He's a big target man that plays with his back to goal like Haller. Could he work here? possibly, but usually big men are just surrounded by other big men in England and they look average.

NYAS

He looks like a tidy player and is supposedly a very hard worker, but not elite material. Could probably do well in a top four team if their style fits him. Leipzig should probably take a look at him.
Doesn’t Nagelsmann hate strikers?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Doesn’t Nagelsmann hate strikers?
Quite on the contrary, before this season Nagelsmann usually used two or even three strikers regularly at Hoffenheim and Leipzig. But Sörloth has not been able to impose himself and Poulsen is a supporting striker, who loses a lot of his effectiveness if there is no proper goal scorer playing off him. That being said, Nagelsmann might not even be there next season and Weghorst doesn't fit the clubs current recruitment strategy anyway.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
When was the last time a European target man came to the Premier League and was a success?

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
If I'm not missing a joke: no, plus Weghorst is Dutch. :)
Yea, he's dutch.
But in terms of his question towards german pronounciation, I'd say he's right. Weghorst would be pronounced with a "w"-sound like in "vector" in english. His first name as well. But since he's dutch, it does not really matter.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He's average and no top team should be going near him. Hes similar to Michel Antonio at West Ham, who gets goals for them but you can't seriously consider a team better than them trying to sign him.

Same for Weghorst, he's an extremely limited player who is fitting Wolfsburg style right now but will struggle in any system that will require him to apply a bit of play outside of scoring.

Of course, there are plenty of players, past and present, who are similar in style but their goal scoring numbers were amazing and made up for other deficiencies. Weghorst is not an elite goalscorer

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yea, he's dutch.
But in terms of his question towards german pronounciation, I'd say he's right. Weghorst would be pronounced with a "w"-sound like in "vector" in english. His first name as well. But since he's dutch, it does not really matter.
Yeah, it's not the same pronunciation as in English, but I meant that v and w are pronounced differently in german. I don't think I'd say the German w is like English v either though. To my mind, e.g. 'vector' has a rather sharp v that German just doesn't have. I suppose that might also vary per region; but I think I'd rather describe it as that German w and v are like softened versions of English w and v. I'm not a native speaker of either English or German though. :D

But yeah, he's Dutch, and Dutch w is a lot like English w I'd say.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Yeah, it's not the same pronunciation as in English, but I meant that v and w are pronounced differently in german. I don't think I'd say the German w is like English v either though. To my mind, e.g. 'vector' has a rather sharp v that German just doesn't have. I suppose that might also vary per region; but I think I'd rather describe it as that German w and v are like softened versions of English w and v. I'm not a native speaker of either English or German though. :D

But yeah, he's Dutch, and Dutch w is a lot like English w I'd say.
Although I don't want to derail the thread, I still have to say something about pronounciation since I like these differences. Sorry if it is too much offtopic.
Usually, v and w are pronounced pretty much the same in german (although v can also be pronounced like an f in english, as in Volkswagen, Vogel (bird) and the likes). There's not a clear rule to it as far as I can tell, you just have to know what to do with such a word. Generally speaking, v and w are mostly pronounced like vector, but maybe not as sharp, as some people in english might pronounce it. But that's the reason why native german speakers often suck at english pronounciation, even if they have an okay knowledge about the language, that kind of soft "w" as in "we" or "willingly" or the likes is very foreign to our tongue. Hence those sketches and parodies about germans talking like "ve vant to see vhat he vants before ve do anysing".

Regarding his name: No, I'd say that his last name would definitely be pronounced as a v. His first name on the other hand, as it is dutch, would be pronounced like a softer w as in "we".

Edit: now that I think about it, I think that maybe the v of "venting" is very similar to the german v or w pronounciation. Vector might not be the proper comparison.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Although I don't want to derail the thread, I still have to say something about pronounciation since I like these differences. Sorry if it is too much offtopic.
Usually, v and w are pronounced pretty much the same in german (although v can also be pronounced like an f in english, as in Volkswagen, Vogel (bird) and the likes). There's not a clear rule to it as far as I can tell, you just have to know what to do with such a word. Generally speaking, v and w are mostly pronounced like vector, but maybe not as sharp, as some people in english might pronounce it. But that's the reason why native german speakers often suck at english pronounciation, even if they have an okay knowledge about the language, that kind of soft "w" as in "we" or "willingly" or the likes is very foreign to our tongue. Hence those sketches and parodies about germans talking like "ve vant to see vhat he vants before ve do anysing".

Regarding his name: No, I'd say that his last name would definitely be pronounced as a v. His first name on the other hand, as it is dutch, would be pronounced like a softer w as in "we".

Edit: now that I think about it, I think that maybe the v of "venting" is very similar to the german v or w pronounciation. Vector might not be the proper comparison.
My native language is Dutch, and I don't think the w's of Wout and Weghorst would be pronounced very differently at all. If you're pronouncing the latter like German or English v, I'd say your doing it wrong. :)

German is your native language I suppose? I'm fluent in it and don't recognize the way you describe v and w; but that might be my error then. I still think English just doesn't have that v or w sound though; they're both sharper there in my opinion - which may be wrong there as well. But you wouldn't pronounce the v and w in Volkswagen the same, would you? Or in 'von' and 'wohnen'?

I love a good thread derailment into linguistics.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

I've been hugely impressed with Mbabu on odd occasions I've seen them in last year. I know he was at Newcastle but he was young then and had issues off the pitch and they were a mess.

Seems to have taken over well on the left from Ricardo Rodriguez who's career has fizzled out since moving to Italy.

Rumours Spurs have been looking at Casteels also.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Im very sure that whenever a mid table club will get him, he will score 10-15 goals for them next season.. However, he is never good enough for a club competing for the Champions League in England..
I don't want to disagree in regards to the general sentiment and would have the same doubts about Weghorst but I feel like people also forget that there is only one elite striker in the EPL atm (Kane).
ManCity, ManUnited, Liverpool and Chelsea don't have someone who is providing solid numbers (I don't count players like Salah or Son as strikers) so even someone like Weghorst would be an improvement on paper.
This of course says more about those teams (and their strikers) than Weghorst and maybe also points to a general lack of (elite) strikers (there is a reason why pretty much everyone wants Haaland).

Boavista

When was the last time a European target man came to the Premier League and was a success?
There haven't really been that many successful target men in general in the past decade.

United Junkie

Him not getting a call up in favor of Luuk de Jong is an absolute embarrasment honestly. He's no Van Basten, but he scores anywhere he goes.
He retweeted a covidiot. He's one of many people in the Netherlands who see people post smart but insane stuff online thinking they are the second coming since christ because it side tracks from the general narrative and makes a person pause for a minute. 'Tokkies' seem to be in love with these covidiots people. Not implying Weghorst is a 'tokkie' of course. It just has similarities in this case.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He retweeted a covidiot. He's one of many people in the Netherlands who see people post smart but insane stuff online thinking they are the second coming since christ because it side tracks from the general narrative and makes a person pause for a minute. 'Tokkies' seem to be in love with these covidiots people. Not implying Weghorst is a 'tokkie' of course. It just has similarities in this case.
To be honest, he might well be, football is a bit of a tokkiesport after all :wenger:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He has a great drive on him, very hard worker. Would do well in the PL I reckon for a midtable team.